Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ariza on the rise

Default Ariza on the rise

"A few players

looked good in the scrimmage -- Crawford made several behind-the-back and between-the-legs dribbles -- but none was more impressive than second-round pick Trevor Ariza, who had several nice plays, including a few dunks on the break.

"I don't know what teams were thinking when they passed up on that kid," Marbury said of Ariza, who played one season at UCLA and was picked 43rd overall by the Knicks. "I don't think teams look at basketball players anymore -- they look at athletes. That kid knows how to play the game. He doesn't make too many mistakes."

"

Superstar

Wow, if Steph said something like that on Ariza, then hell, kid must've got game...

Ariza-Sweetney-Crawford-Marbury! 1 more draft pick and this team is set for the future!

Ariza has game, and he is in the right place to blow up, good ole' NYC!
    And with Steph and Jamal feeding this guy passes, he'll be putting on an acrobatic display at MSG!!!!

In one of the articles, Anderson even admitted that Ariza was playing so nice, that he said that he hopes the knicks buyout his contract cause he knows he won't be getting any playing time anytime soon

Superstar

No way! Ansderson did say something like that? Wow, if he did then maybe he ain't such a cancer(aghm) bad person as we all thought...

yea man, here's what he said:

Notes & quotes: If veteran swingman Shandon Anderson had any chance for playing time after clashing with Isiah Thomas, he knows Ariza's emergence ended it. Anderson called Ariza a "great fit." At the same time, he hopes the Knicks will buy out his contract. "I'm not going to be able to play here," said Anderson, who has been on the third team. "I definitely want to get somewhere where I can play some basketball."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I hope Lenny will give him (Ariza) some good Playing Time on the 14th against the Nets
    The game will be on YES network at 7pm

Superstar

I would've never known... Shandon's quite a nice person, ha? Yeah, buying out his contract is the best possible solution for the problem that we've encountered with him. I wish him good luck and all best with his team but it's definitely not NYK...

I think Shandon Anderson is a bum on the court, but I actually felt sorry for him after reading those articles. Dude doesn't seem like a bad person, just in a bad situation since HE CAN'T MAKE A SHOT IF HIS LIFE DEPENDED ON IT.

Superstar

Yeah, I agree. He'll better find some other team more appropriate for his gamestyle, cuz he can't stand the pressure of the style provided by the Knicks. It's a whole different thing here, you can't just hope for a lucky opening shot, you have to work on, to create moments for yaself and your teammates plus play a hard D so you could stick on. Shandon isn't able to do that that's why he's got cut. Maybe utah will fit better

As for Ariza, I hope this kid shines in preseason cause then Lenny will have to give him some minutes. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing some dunks, which I haven't seen from the Knicks for a long time. The article did say that his shot is not that great though, but atleast he can attack the basket and play hard defense which is a major plus.

Yeah the Knicks need more high flyers like Ariza, I agree. I need to see some more dunks!

Superstar

Absolutely. And if Ariza can do both dunking and defense, then hell we've got our sixth or seventh decent man down here.

Lurker

I saw Ariza play against the Lakers at Long Beach over the summer. I was so impressed by how athletic this cat was. I remember him cutting of a passing lane (I think it was just above the free throw lane) and deflecting a pass towards the baseline. He then chased down the ball and saved it from going out of bounds by dribbling it behind his back while keeping his balance to avoid going out of bounce . He then proceeded to dribble down the court and took-off just inside the free throw lane for a monster dunk. In addition to being a high flyer, this cat is also a very good passer. A few times he got the defensive rebound and started to dribble down the court. He was able to find the open player in transition as well as make the pass.

Also, what was interesting that nite was he also defended the Lakers' well regarded rookie point guard who was drafted from europe (I think his name is Sasha). He did a very good job staying in front of him and slowing him down. He made it tough for this point guard to shoot the his jumpers. This is attributable to his long arms and good footwork. I get the sense that this cat likes to play D. However, he did get beat to the basket a couple times. Over all, very impressive all around game for a rookie, especially a second round draft pick.

I am very excited to have this cat wear the knick uniform.

Superstar

Sounds great! Hopefully he'll perform at this level when the season starts!