MDA has Resigned as Knicks Coach

nyk_nyk

All Star
And also...

tumblr_liuqnaPDMl1qzb2ai.gif

tiger0330

Legend
It will be interesting to see if Woody puts in any major changes like starting BD instead of Lin. Woody strikes me as a guy that is going to shake up the team, I hear him yelling at the players more than I hear D'Antoni from the sidelines.

Cakalusa

Benchwarmer
Looks like people got their wish.

I'm also attending tonight's game, which should be interesting how the fans react when Melo's name is announced.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
HAHAHAH
fkin Melo snakin it! haha Props to Mike for not cavin in. The man as unfit for our guys as he was, stuck to his guns and wanted to play his way! Lets see if we turn it around now.....

Melo did a Marlo Stanfield on Antoni, LOL

LeFlume

All Star
I'm crazy. But I feel kinda sad. Never fun when a coach get fired. D'Antoni went to war with us for two years before we landed STAT. Don't forget that. He had our back...

nyk_nyk

All Star
It will be interesting to see if Woody puts in any major changes like starting BD instead of Lin. Woody strikes me as a guy that is going to shake up the team, I hear him yelling at the players more than I hear D'Antoni from the sidelines.

This is what i'm hoping. Just about the yelling at players part.

I'm more excited about a new system being implemented. Not guaranteeing it will turn things around, but there just needed to be a change in voice, system, philosophy, culture...

Let's support everyone now. It's a new direction and despite our flucked up record, we start from here.

KBlack25

Starter

Ooooh, the Knicks now get to watch Melo jack up long 2s in the vaunted Mike Woodson 16 Feet or More Hawks offense.

Forrest17

Rotation player
This could be the jolt we need late in the season.

Mike Woodson has already been here all season.. So it isn't like a refreshing new voice is going to come in and change things. They will most likely remain similar to how they are now.

And hiring a new coach now, even if it IS Phil Jackson, which I doubt is even remotely possible until next season won't really help us either. People having been saying for like a year Melo just needs time to form chemistry.. Well now instead of one player we are going to have an entire team of players needing time to adapt to what would be an ENTIRELY different philosophy of basketball. So this season is pretty much over at this point.

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
Management, the coaching staff and the players know Anthony is hurting the offense and in turn, the defensive morale, according to the sources. While D'Antoni's offense calls for Anthony to plant himself on the wing at the 3-point line, he often creeps in to his favorite spot in the floor -- the area between the elbow, the arc and the post. That kills the Knicks' ability to run the high pick-and-roll and ruins the spacing that is so critical to D'Antoni's offense.
"That's at the very core of our problem," one person close to the situation said. "That messes up the fluidity of the offense. Melo could do it, but he's got to trust the offense."
When Anthony first returned -- and it still appears to be the case -- Lin would bring the ball upcourt and try to run D'Antoni's system. When Anthony would abandon the offense, Lin would not pass him the ball, which irritated Anthony, sources said. So when Lin tried to talk to Anthony on the court, Anthony would turn his back to the point guard and tune him out. The two never had heated exchanges, though, and the players tried to come to a compromise, agreeing to run D'Antoni's system while also mixing in post-ups for Anthony.

wynton

Rookie
I was not a D'Antoni fan - though I do consider himself to be a pretty decent guy - but I am here to explain why this is not necessarily good news.

We've yet to hear whether this was truly a "resignation," or a firing. If it was a resignation, I'd worry that that there was some kind of power struggle - similar to what may have led Donnie Walsh to depart. I say this because it would seem that a voluntary resignation would run counter to D'Antoni's interests.

He is leaving when the team has hit rock bottom. There's still a reasonable chance that he could get them into the playoffs and improve his job chances for the future. He may even be owed money. So why leave now voluntarily unless you know that management is making the situation impossible? Perhaps Dolan decided that D'Antoni and Melo can't live together, so he decided to choose Melo. I'm not sure that is a good outcome for us.

Further, Woodson is now in a difficult situation. Unless the team makes noise in the playoffs, there will likely be a new coach next year. Meanwhile, our GM is still just "interim."

To me, the whole thing smells of Dolan making decisions that he's got no qualifications to make.

Finally, dare I say that this all raises the spectre of Isiah returning in some capacity?