Does Jeremy Lin have a reason to be afraid?

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
It was also apparent that in the blowout game, stats were the last thing on his mind...... He could have scored 20, but opted not to...........

How many other players at age 23 would have resisted temptation?

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
Lin's skillset isn't Nash's. Lin isn't a pure shooter like Nash is. Lin isn't some incredible floor general like Nash is. But what he CAN do, is create for his teammates by driving to the basket and seeing the open man. And that's a skillset that fits EVERY system out there.
I happen to live in Phoenix, and have seen Nash play numerous times. He's basically a pick-and-roll machine. And a great perimeter shooter. But otherwise a one trick pony. (Albeit exceptional at that trick.) He can't play defense. (He averages less than one steal a game.) He's does not attack the basket without a screen. And without the ball, he lulls defenders to sleep by standing beyond the three point arc, waiting for the kickout pass. Maybe the most passive "great" player I've ever seen.

Nash's biggest problem is if the opposing team ups the pressure on his pick and roll or outside shot, he won't make many plays outside that realm. This is why he's never won the big games.

So while Nash's niche skills are extremely impressive, I think Lin will win more games. Especially big games. He does not execute the pick and roll nearly as well as Nash (but will improve), does not shoot as well (but will improve), but Lin's skill set is far more complete. Especially on the defensive side of the floor.

Purch.

Rookie
........had a triple-double in the only D-League game he played this season..........

I think Lin will demonstrate it was NOT the offensive system that launched him into stardom. He was and is a great player in which stereotype and associated underestimation held him back.

Heck, he has already become one of the best DEFENSIVE players in the league, playing in a "system" that was likely broken for such play. He is EASILY the best defensive guard ever to play for D'Antoni. (If Steve Nash played half the defense Lin has demonstrated, both he and D'Antoni would have acquired championship hardware in Phoenix.)

http://brokejumper.com/minor-league...ple-double-in-1st-game-for-the-erie-bayhawks/
Did you seriously just say Jeremy Lin is a good defender? Do you not see him constantly getting driven past by the better guards in the league.

Oh, and best defensive guard?? Are you joking with us dude, or at least say you meant PG, because if you think he's better than Raja Bell or Shumpert on defense you should be smacked.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lin, but his shitastic defense has me as furious as some of his stupid turnovers at times. He has vast VAST room for improvement in that department of his game.

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
Did you seriously just say Jeremy Lin is a good defender? Do you not see him constantly getting driven past by the better guards in the league.

Constantly? Are you actually watching these games? Like most guards, he'll get beaten off the dribble or screen, but what makes Lin special is his ability to recover after that first step. This was how he blocked Derrick Rose. And induced a poor shooting night from him. (Aside from LeBron James, I don't recall Derrick Rose ever being blocked by his primary defender after getting a step on him.)

Did you see what he did to Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game? It should have given the Knicks a shot at a win, but the team couldn't rebound the air ball. How often do you see defense like this from a point guard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRmfwKxqe4Q

Oh, and best defensive guard?? Are you joking with us dude, or at least say you meant PG, because if you think he's better than Raja Bell or Shumpert on defense you should be smacked.
Shumpert is great too....... But unlike Lin, if he gets beat off the dribble, he's completely out of the play. (I hope he gets more floor time. But he shoots too much.)

I saw Raja Bell in Phoenix. He was good at forcing bad shots, but didn't force a lot of turnovers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lin, but his shitastic defense has me as furious as some of his stupid turnovers at times. He has vast VAST room for improvement in that department of his game.
Watch the games, don't look at the opposing PG's numbers in the box score. The first star PGs that Lin actually defended for most of the game were Brandon Jennings in Milwaukee and Derrick Rose in Chicago. Jennings had a hard time without a screen, and Lin forced two air balls from him. (Neither play had a double team.) Rose did get 32 points, but he needed 29 shots to score those points. Rose only had his way after Lin got into second half foul trouble.

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
Constantly? Are you actually watching these games? Like most guards, he'll get beaten off the dribble or screen, but what makes Lin special is his ability to recover after that first step. This was how he blocked Derrick Rose. And induced a poor shooting night from him. (Aside from LeBron James, I don't recall Derrick Rose ever being blocked by his primary defender after getting a step on him.)

Did you see what he did to Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game? It should have given the Knicks a shot at a win, but the team couldn't rebound the air ball.

Shumpert is great too....... I hope he gets more floor time. But he shoots too much.

Watch the games, don't look at the opposing PG's numbers in the box score. The first star PGs that Lin actually defended for most of the game were Brandon Jennings in Milwaukee and Derrick Rose in Chicago. Jennings had a hard time without a screen, and Lin forced two air balls from him. (Neither play had a double team.) Rose did get 32 points, but he needed 29 shots to score those points. Rose only had his way after Lin got into second half foul trouble.

Sorry but you're so wrong. Lin is a decent defender sporadically. He can be pesky and annoying and he's smart at defending. However Deron Williams burned him at the stake, completely dominated him. It's no big thing Lin dominated Williams the previous game but Lin is not an amazing defender.

He's good but not great. Shumpert is a hell of a lot better.

Purch.

Rookie
Rose getting lazy with a layup makes the fact that Lin got burned by him all night okay? And yes, constantly, Lin sucks at getting over screens, so if the guy he's on is a good shooter he'll get burned like Deron Williams did against him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUD1RoL57Kc&feature=related
Such great defense, right? Lin just got caught staring at the ball like a deer in the headlights, instead of paying attention to his man.
Did you see what he did to Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game? It should have given the Knicks a shot at a win, but the team couldn't rebound the air ball. How often do you see defense like this from a point guard?

Wait, so if you make the occasional great defensive play it makes you a better defender than Shump and Bell?

Look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ogtc-rnd8&feature=related
Does that make Mike Bibby a great defensive PG? Hell no. I'm not saying Bibby is/was as good as Lin defensively, but damn, don't consider by great flashes.

Shumpert is great too....... But unlike Lin, if he gets beat off the dribble, he's completely out of the play. (I hope he gets more floor time. But he shoots too much.)
But unlike Lin, Shumpert is more prone to get the steal while playing the guy face up, and less prone to get beat off the dribble.

And how quick you are to forget that Shumpert saved our ass by switching on Calderon in the Toronto game.
I saw Raja Bell in Phoenix. He was good at forcing bad shots, but didn't force a lot of turnovers.
Wait, so because Bell didn't get steals that makes him a worse defender than Lin? Hahahahah, don't try to be condescending about me "paying attention to the box score" and then try to pull this crap, a bad shot is essentially as good as a steal in my opinion.

Again, see Deron Williams.

All in all, when Lin gets better off the screen I won't be pissed about his D anymore.

Last edited:

TakMan

Rotation player
I understand people's obsession with Lin.......actually I don't one bit.

1. Baron Davis is a better PG

2. Even in a game of reduced minutes he still managed 6 turnovers

3. He's clearly been on the decline since making the NBA map (probably something to do with defenses adjusting to him)

4. His ball handling is average at best

5. He's still lacking variety to his game (particularly his passing game)

Yes he can develop into a good PG, but most people fell victim of the 'need to believe' in something during this abysmal season. In reality, he is just an average PG with potential at the moment.

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Nonsense.

This team hasn't been playing D'antoni's system anyways, which is prob. one of the reasons he left. There is no cohesiveness at all to say they are playing according to MAD's methods.

"When D?Antoni left Phoenix to come to New York, Nash?s productivity declined?his scoring average dropped by two points, and he had two fewer assists per 48 minutes"

Seriously? You are going to say this MAJOR dropoff is related to D'antoni? There could be a thousand other reasons.

I think Lin's scoring and assists will go down going forward but shooting percentage and TO hopefully will get better. This will be related to less playing time as Woodson works in our other PG's into the system. No reason to ride one horse when we have 3-4 healthy and rested ones in the stable.

fender0577

Rotation player
of course there upset everyone had the green light to shoot the ball.. exactly how far will that type of offense take you, there is no reason shumpert should be coming up the court taking wild shots, there is no reason Lin should be taking more shots than our stars & there no reason why we should be on a 6 game losing streak
:agreed::agreed::agreed:C'ANToni needed to be stopped, like you said theres no reason LIN should be shooting more than our stars, no reason.:peace::peace:

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
WTF are you smoking man? Hes not a great player, hes a good player. If Lin is great then what is Kobe or Lebron or Durant? Great times 2? And hes easily the best defensive guard to play for dantoni huh, not Shumpert, not Raja Bell, not even Douglas, but Jlin whom Parker, Jennings, Deron, Rose , all lit up? U dont know squat about ball.

........had a triple-double in the only D-League game he played this season..........

I think Lin will demonstrate it was NOT the offensive system that launched him into stardom. He was and is a great player in which stereotype and associated underestimation held him back.

Heck, he has already become one of the best DEFENSIVE players in the league, playing in a "system" that was likely broken for such play. He is EASILY the best defensive guard ever to play for D'Antoni. (If Steve Nash played half the defense Lin has demonstrated, both he and D'Antoni would have acquired championship hardware in Phoenix.)

http://brokejumper.com/minor-league...ple-double-in-1st-game-for-the-erie-bayhawks/

To worry about Lin is to admit you don't trust his game. He'll be fine and he doesn't need a fake coach to boost his stats to guarantee that. He is a pg, a pg is suppose to protect and distribute the rock, right?

Wanting more from him is admitting you don't understand the basics of the game. We were never going to win anything playing the way D'ant wanted us to play. D'ant would have never blew out the Blazers and he probably knew if he lost to them it wasn't going to be nice in the Garden. He had no confidence and booked. The smartest thing he did here was to resign.

kinein

Benchwarmer
WTF are you smoking man? Hes not a great player, hes a good player. If Lin is great then what is Kobe or Lebron or Durant? Great times 2? And hes easily the best defensive guard to play for dantoni huh, not Shumpert, not Raja Bell, not even Douglas, but Jlin whom Parker, Jennings, Deron, Rose , all lit up? U dont know squat about ball.

He's going to be a great player and has the potential - work ethic, innate unteachables, and motivation due to racism and hate - the natural biases built-into american society by all other races against Asian-Americans is strong.

Rose went 12/29 do you need further examples including video to demonstrate that your term "lit up" doesn't hod water.

Give credit where credits due and be objective.

Kobe is going to the hall of fame and will be considered the greatest of this GENERATION - with NO RIVAL. Unmatched.
* Lin dropped almost 40 points on Kobe's Lakers. He single-handedly almost WILLED his team to beat the Lakers.

Lebron will go as the most GIFTED of this generation.

Kevin Durant its too early to start giving him historical - tags but he is a very prolific scorer, dominant player for his team and in the NBA. Hands down top 10 - CURRENT. Relevant to NOW and future.

Stopping here since I have to study for my Strategic Management course.

F the Knicks, F its fans. F Carmelo for killing linsanity. I probably said this somewhere but I'll say it again. I haven't watched basketball since MJ era. Now the Knicks have Jeremy Lin, you basically have a diamond in the rough. Blah blah, Jeremy has captured my interest in basketball again. In Feb, I bought NBA league pass just like a fool knowing that Carmelo will ruin it for Lin. If your owner knows that Jeremy can bring in millions and millions of dollars for your team..YOU should build your team around him. Obviously Jeremy is more than capable to shine when given the opportunity. Now your dumb coach will make Carmelo and Amare their focal point. You want to know what I got to say about that?? F both of them. TRADE Jeremy to a subpar .500 team and make him a focal point w Chandler and I guarantee they will have a winning team. Not only they will have a winning season because Jeremy is a WINNER, but that team/owner will be rich b$tch. This is a fact. New York, you don't deserve that!All you deserve is your Melo/Amare drama. Oh wait, I can wait a couple more years. He won't stay with the Knicks because there are other team that will pay more for his service. Because he is a cash cow and a WINNER.

smokes

Huge Member
F the Knicks, F its fans. F Carmelo for killing linsanity. I probably said this somewhere but I'll say it again. I haven't watched basketball since MJ era. Now the Knicks have Jeremy Lin, you basically have a diamond in the rough. Blah blah, Jeremy has captured my interest in basketball again. In Feb, I bought NBA league pass just like a fool knowing that Carmelo will ruin it for Lin. If your owner knows that Jeremy can bring in millions and millions of dollars for your team..YOU should build your team around him. Obviously Jeremy is more than capable to shine when given the opportunity. Now your dumb coach will make Carmelo and Amare their focal point. You want to know what I got to say about that?? F both of them. TRADE Jeremy to a subpar .500 team and make him a focal point w Chandler and I guarantee they will have a winning team. Not only they will have a winning season because Jeremy is a WINNER, but that team/owner will be rich b$tch. This is a fact. New York, you don't deserve that!All you deserve is your Melo/Amare drama. Oh wait, I can wait a couple more years. He won't stay with the Knicks because there are other team that will pay more for his service. Because he is a cash cow and a WINNER.

Hahaha... Relax dude.

Lin is a good player no doubt but he's not going to carry a team long term at this stage in his career. He needs time to develop and grow and he has a great opportunity to do that here under the tutelage of Baron Davis. Lin has plenty of years left to win in NY.

:gony:

skisloper

Starter
Hahaha... Relax dude.

Lin is a good player no doubt but he's not going to carry a team long term at this stage in his career. He needs time to develop and grow and he has a great opportunity to do that here under the tutelage of Baron Davis. Lin has plenty of years left to win in NY.

If Lin has to carry the Knicks that we are in serious trouble......
Lets just hope Melo shines with Woodson's offense,,,,,,,,Lin is smart and will know where to adjust his game,,,,,,,Tomorrow night against a solid Pacer team will be a good test if yesterdays game was a huge fluke

Hahaha... Relax dude.

You don't understand, there are people around the world including myself are willing to PAY to watch him play. He is bigger than Carmelo and the Knicks. I'm sure he has nothing to worry about because other teams i.e Golden State Warriors/Sacramento/New Orleans can use him. ALL he need is someone like Chandler to run the pick and roll all day in your FACE!

smokes

Huge Member
You don't understand, there are people around the world including myself are willing to PAY to watch him play. He is bigger than Carmelo and the Knicks. I'm sure he has nothing to worry about because other teams i.e Golden State Warriors/Sacramento/New Orleans can use him. ALL he need is someone like Chandler to run the pick and roll all day in your FACE!

I'm surprised that you haven't watched basketball for nearly 20 years, because your knowledge of the game seems flawless...

KingCharles34

All Star
Fear is not as bad of a thing as some people think it is if its used the right way. Gotta turn that fear into motivation, but I dont think Lin's afraid of much. Hes gonna be just fine...i could see him losing his starting job this year, but his future is very bright regardless of what happens during the remainder of this season

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Al_Ianazzone: Lin said he met with Woodson this morning and was told he's the starting point guard and not to worry about anything else.

@Al_Ianazzone: Mike Woodson said Jeremy Lin is the Knicks starting point guard and is a big part of what they do.

Knicks-Baron-Davis.jpg

If this BD comes back than Lin will be on that bizzench to start games.