Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does Jeremy Lin have a reason to be afraid?

Originally Posted by tkrieger
    ........had a triple-double in the only D-League game he played this season..........

I think Lin will demonstrate it was NOT the offensive system that launched him into stardom. He was and is a great player in which stereotype and associated underestimation held him back.

Heck, he has already become one of the best DEFENSIVE players in the league, playing in a "system" that was likely broken for such play. He is EASILY the best defensive guard ever to play for D'Antoni. (If Steve Nash played half the defense Lin has demonstrated, both he and D'Antoni would have acquired championship hardware in Phoenix.)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Nice points, agree. D'antoni hate influenced opinions on Lin.

They refuse to accept that he did have some monster games in college as well and monster shots.

Originally Posted by kinein
    Nice points, agree. D'antoni hate influenced opinions on Lin.

They refuse to accept that he did have some monster games in college as well and monster shots.
    MDA and Lin are two totally seperate entities.

Funny how "Team Melo" doesn't even seem to know that it was MELO who suggested to MDA in the first place to play Lin (confirmed by Lin).

Don't judge Lin in regards to MDA. Judge Lin by his performances. So far it's been up and down. Overall he's been a better PG than anyone we've had on the roster for the past 4 seasons so we should be pleased

Originally Posted by smokes
    MDA and Lin are two totally seperate entities.

Funny how "Team Melo" doesn't even seem to know that it was MELO who suggested to MDA in the first place to play Lin (confirmed by Lin).

Don't judge Lin in regards to MDA. Judge Lin by his performances. So far it's been up and down. Overall he's been a better PG than anyone we've had on the roster for the past 4 seasons so we should be pleased
    I think Team Melos that Bash Lin - also missed the part where Melo stated he saw him and Lin as being a Durant Westbrook pair.

The guy that Melo gets along with the MOST is Lin.

He is most comfortable with him and its obvious when you see them communicate. Lin also has enormous respect for Melo and appreciates what Melo brings to the table. The future looks great for the Knicks - I talked about how they finally got over the hump against Chicago - and tonights win validated what I've been talking about.

Lin is like a bottle of fine wine, the longer you wait for it the better.

Veteran

The article is extremely unfair...hasn't Lin shown himself capable of getting into the lane already this year?

This guy is confusing D'Antoni's Phoenix/Nash years with what Lin was doing in NY.

Lin isn't a good player because he can see the floor and make amazing passes. He can do some of those things, but the reason he's good is because he...oh wait, GOT INTO THE LANE AND BITCHED ON KOBE

Lin's skillset isn't Nash's. Lin isn't a pure shooter like Nash is. Lin isn't some incredible floor general like Nash is. But what he CAN do, is create for his teammates by driving to the basket and seeing the open man. And that's a skillset that fits EVERY system out there.

It was also apparent that in the blowout game, stats were the last thing on his mind...... He could have scored 20, but opted not to...........

How many other players at age 23 would have resisted temptation?

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Lin's skillset isn't Nash's. Lin isn't a pure shooter like Nash is. Lin isn't some incredible floor general like Nash is. But what he CAN do, is create for his teammates by driving to the basket and seeing the open man. And that's a skillset that fits EVERY system out there.
    I happen to live in Phoenix, and have seen Nash play numerous times. He's basically a pick-and-roll machine. And a great perimeter shooter. But otherwise a one trick pony. (Albeit exceptional at that trick.) He can't play defense. (He averages less than one steal a game.) He's does not attack the basket without a screen. And without the ball, he lulls defenders to sleep by standing beyond the three point arc, waiting for the kickout pass. Maybe the most passive "great" player I've ever seen.

Nash's biggest problem is if the opposing team ups the pressure on his pick and roll or outside shot, he won't make many plays outside that realm. This is why he's never won the big games.

So while Nash's niche skills are extremely impressive, I think Lin will win more games. Especially big games. He does not execute the pick and roll nearly as well as Nash (but will improve), does not shoot as well (but will improve), but Lin's skill set is far more complete. Especially on the defensive side of the floor.

........had a triple-double in the only D-League game he played this season..........

I think Lin will demonstrate it was NOT the offensive system that launched him into stardom. He was and is a great player in which stereotype and associated underestimation held him back.

Heck, he has already become one of the best DEFENSIVE players in the league, playing in a "system" that was likely broken for such play. He is EASILY the best defensive guard ever to play for D'Antoni. (If Steve Nash played half the defense Lin has demonstrated, both he and D'Antoni would have acquired championship hardware in Phoenix.)

Did you seriously just say Jeremy Lin is a good defender? Do you not see him constantly getting driven past by the better guards in the league.

Oh, and best defensive guard?? Are you joking with us dude, or at least say you meant PG, because if you think he's better than Raja Bell or Shumpert on defense you should be smacked.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lin, but his ****astic defense has me as furious as some of his stupid turnovers at times. He has vast VAST room for improvement in that department of his game.

Originally Posted by Purch.
    Did you seriously just say Jeremy Lin is a good defender? Do you not see him constantly getting driven past by the better guards in the league.
    Constantly? Are you actually watching these games? Like most guards, he'll get beaten off the dribble or screen, but what makes Lin special is his ability to recover after that first step. This was how he blocked Derrick Rose. And induced a poor shooting night from him. (Aside from LeBron James, I don't recall Derrick Rose ever being blocked by his primary defender after getting a step on him.)

Did you see what he did to Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game? It should have given the Knicks a shot at a win, but the team couldn't rebound the air ball. How often do you see defense like this from a point guard?

Oh, and best defensive guard?? Are you joking with us dude, or at least say you meant PG, because if you think he's better than Raja Bell or Shumpert on defense you should be smacked.
    Shumpert is great too....... But unlike Lin, if he gets beat off the dribble, he's completely out of the play. (I hope he gets more floor time. But he shoots too much.)

I saw Raja Bell in Phoenix. He was good at forcing bad shots, but didn't force a lot of turnovers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lin, but his ****astic defense has me as furious as some of his stupid turnovers at times. He has vast VAST room for improvement in that department of his game.
    Watch the games, don't look at the opposing PG's numbers in the box score. The first star PGs that Lin actually defended for most of the game were Brandon Jennings in Milwaukee and Derrick Rose in Chicago. Jennings had a hard time without a screen, and Lin forced two air balls from him. (Neither play had a double team.) Rose did get 32 points, but he needed 29 shots to score those points. Rose only had his way after Lin got into second half foul trouble.
    Last edited by tkrieger; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:17.

Constantly? Are you actually watching these games? Like most guards, he'll get beaten off the dribble or screen, but what makes Lin special is his ability to recover after that first step. This was how he blocked Derrick Rose. And induced a poor shooting night from him. (Aside from LeBron James, I don't recall Derrick Rose ever being blocked by his primary defender after getting a step on him.)

Did you see what he did to Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game? It should have given the Knicks a shot at a win, but the team couldn't rebound the air ball.

Shumpert is great too....... I hope he gets more floor time. But he shoots too much.

Watch the games, don't look at the opposing PG's numbers in the box score. The first star PGs that Lin actually defended for most of the game were Brandon Jennings in Milwaukee and Derrick Rose in Chicago. Jennings had a hard time without a screen, and Lin forced two air balls from him. (Neither play had a double team.) Rose did get 32 points, but he needed 29 shots to score those points. Rose only had his way after Lin got into second half foul trouble.
    Sorry but you're so wrong. Lin is a decent defender sporadically. He can be pesky and annoying and he's smart at defending. However Deron Williams burned him at the stake, completely dominated him. It's no big thing Lin dominated Williams the previous game but Lin is not an amazing defender.

He's good but not great. Shumpert is a hell of a lot better.

Rose getting lazy with a layup makes the fact that Lin got burned by him all night okay? And yes, constantly, Lin sucks at getting over screens, so if the guy he's on is a good shooter he'll get burned like Deron Williams did against him.

Such great defense, right? Lin just got caught staring at the ball like a deer in the headlights, instead of paying attention to his man.
    Did you see what he did to Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game? It should have given the Knicks a shot at a win, but the team couldn't rebound the air ball. How often do you see defense like this from a point guard?

Wait, so if you make the occasional great defensive play it makes you a better defender than Shump and Bell?

Look [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Does that make Mike Bibby a great defensive PG? Hell no. I'm not saying Bibby is/was as good as Lin defensively, but damn, don't consider by great flashes.

Shumpert is great too....... But unlike Lin, if he gets beat off the dribble, he's completely out of the play. (I hope he gets more floor time. But he shoots too much.)
    But unlike Lin, Shumpert is more prone to get the steal while playing the guy face up, and less prone to get beat off the dribble.

And how quick you are to forget that Shumpert saved our ass by switching on Calderon in the Toronto game.
    I saw Raja Bell in Phoenix. He was good at forcing bad shots, but didn't force a lot of turnovers.
    Wait, so because Bell didn't get steals that makes him a worse defender than Lin? Hahahahah, don't try to be condescending about me "paying attention to the box score" and then try to pull this crap, a bad shot is essentially as good as a steal in my opinion.

Again, see Deron Williams.

All in all, when Lin gets better off the screen I won't be pissed about his D anymore.
    Last edited by Purch.; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:50.

Superstar

I understand people's obsession with Lin.......actually I don't one bit.

1. Baron Davis is a better PG

2. Even in a game of reduced minutes he still managed 6 turnovers

3. He's clearly been on the decline since making the NBA map (probably something to do with defenses adjusting to him)

4. His ball handling is average at best

5. He's still lacking variety to his game (particularly his passing game)

Yes he can develop into a good PG, but most people fell victim of the 'need to believe' in something during this abysmal season. In reality, he is just an average PG with potential at the moment.

Nonsense.

This team hasn't been playing D'antoni's system anyways, which is prob. one of the reasons he left. There is no cohesiveness at all to say they are playing according to MAD's methods.

"When D’Antoni left Phoenix to come to New York, Nash’s productivity declined–his scoring average dropped by two points, and he had two fewer assists per 48 minutes"

Seriously? You are going to say this MAJOR dropoff is related to D'antoni? There could be a thousand other reasons.

I think Lin's scoring and assists will go down going forward but shooting percentage and TO hopefully will get better. This will be related to less playing time as Woodson works in our other PG's into the system. No reason to ride one horse when we have 3-4 healthy and rested ones in the stable.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    of course there upset everyone had the green light to shoot the ball.. exactly how far will that type of offense take you, there is no reason shumpert should be coming up the court taking wild shots, there is no reason Lin should be taking more shots than our stars & there no reason why we should be on a 6 game losing streak
    C'ANToni needed to be stopped, like you said theres no reason LIN should be shooting more than our stars, no reason.

WTF are you smoking man? Hes not a great player, hes a good player. If Lin is great then what is Kobe or Lebron or Durant? Great times 2? And hes easily the best defensive guard to play for dantoni huh, not Shumpert, not Raja Bell, not even Douglas, but Jlin whom Parker, Jennings, Deron, Rose , all lit up? U dont know squat about ball.