Mike Woodson Head Coach thread

iJoe

Rotation player
I really really hated the way the Hawks played under Woodson......

I pray that it was because he was limited by his personnel and not because he's a crappy offensive mind.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I really really hated the way the Hawks played under Woodson......

I pray that it was because he was limited by his personnel and not because he's a crappy offensive mind.

I think it was more so their personnel Joe Johnson is way overrated and they play just as stupid without him.

But I still don't think Woodson is a great offensive coach but he's a more competent one that MDA.

red32

Benchwarmer
But I still don't think Woodson is a great offensive coach but he's a more competent one that MDA.

OK, so Woody's offensive strategy is "just ISO," and since he's done such a good job as the DEFENSIVE coach, yep, sure, we're going to be fine. :rolling:

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
Right, which means "you give the ball to Melo and Stat or you don't play, you digg?"

HowAboutNoMeme.jpg

Paul1355

All Star
How do you guys see Woodson running this team? Will he play a strict half court type of offense? Will our defense improve under his leadership? Will we see an ISO-Joe redux with ISO-Melo? Will he shave his goddamn beard?

This thread is all about our new interim head coach Mike Woodson. Welcome to the New York Knickerbockers and Congratulations on your recent promotion. Goodluck Woody, you're gonna need it :beer:
A 4 year old could coach better than Mike D did.

That said, I think Woodson should do fine. He demands more respect from his players and he said "I will make damn sure to hold these players accountable" which has the be the best quote he could have said in any press conference after taking over for Mike D who never held players accountable.

Many of our losses were due to lack of accountability by the head coach and what i saw from the first game of the Woodson era is that he has a quick leash if someone plays stupid...(Landry Fields was pulled right after a dumb turnover)

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Woodson would have been a better pick than D'Antoni. He was never a good fit for the type of basketball that NY was traditionally known for. But once you pick a coach you've got to give him tools to be successful. The question now is how long before Knicks fans turn on Woodson as they have every coach since Pat Riley?

That's the cynic in me. Optimistically speaking, Woodson seems like he'll make better use of Stats in the post and as Melo's shooting improves we'll get a few wins out of it. I don't know how much long term success we will have with Carmellomire. Should be fun to watch.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Somebody get this guy a tissue

?????

Why? I'm not crying about MDA leaving, just commenting on how quick everyone was taking this 1 win under Woodson as some sort of proof that MDA was a bad coach. Woodson now has an opportunity to try to win the coaching job here and I hope he does because that would have meant he turned this team around. As a Knicks fan, I want to see my team win but as someone who has followed this franchise for way longer than I care to admit, I see a trend; one that started when Dolan stole his father's company. I don't see this franchise ever being successful until Dolan backs off and just signs the damn checks and stops interfering with the GM and coach.

As someone who has watch this team for eons...I see a team thats pretty deep in talent...something we didn't have for a long while now. I also see that we finally have a defensive minded coach to go along with all the offensive talent we have. If you can't see the pluses in that, or can't bring yourself to be excited about that...then I don't know what you've been watching all this time.

I'm not worrying about Dolan atm, there is nothing I can see him doing right now that will mess up the Knicks. I think people just want to complain just to be complaining. Lets just be optimistic going forward. If Melo, stat/ woodson starts mucking up the joint...then they deserve what comes with that. Until then...I'm not going to imagine failure, even thou others seem to be used to that.

red32

Benchwarmer
A 4 year old could coach better than Mike D did.

That said, I think Woodson should do fine. He demands more respect from his players and he said "I will make damn sure to hold these players accountable" which has the be the best quote he could have said in any press conference after taking over for Mike D who never held players accountable.

Many of our losses were due to lack of accountability by the head coach and what i saw from the first game of the Woodson era is that he has a quick leash if someone plays stupid...(Landry Fields was pulled right after a dumb turnover)

I have a problem with this "accountability" thing. What does it mean?! OK, so D'Antoni sat Melo and Sat in 4th Q against Philadelphia on Sunday, and he was criticized for it. Was he making them accountable for not playing D? OK, so Woodson pulled Fields out last game, does he have the balls to do the same to Melo and Stat, in 4th Q?

If he's really going to enforce this accountability thing fairly on D (meaning sit them down), Melo and Stat might as well bring their own beach chairs to the game.

We'll have to see how this "accountability" goes, or is it just bull.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
I have a problem with this "accountability" thing. What does it mean?! OK, so D'Antoni sat Melo and Sat in 4th Q against Philadelphia on Sunday, and he was criticized for it. Was he making them accountable for not playing D? OK, so Woodson pulled Fields out last game, does he have the balls to do the same to Melo and Stat, in 4th Q?

If he's really going to enforce this accountability thing fairly on D (meaning sit them down), Melo and Stat might as well bring their own beach chairs to the game.

it also means, step up your game.

Paul1355

All Star

it could be bull but look at the history. Mike Woodson was thrown out of Atlanta because he started to get in the face of Josh Smith, who is always a cry baby and is known to give people a hard time. Woodson was too hard on him....Mike D is the exact opposite he is just too soft and lets players roll over him.

We need a coach with enough balls to bench Amare or Melo when they do something stupid that changes momentum. and a coach that will teach melo and amare what to do and not do IN THE GAME.

Mike D did bench thos two guys but how many times did he leave them in when they were absolutely terrible? How many times did he leave Melo in even after Melo was jacking up dumb shots and committing stupid turnovers because of his frustration. And still playing Amare after he would give no effort on defense or rebounding?

Woodson, in my opinion, would not allow these guys to get away with no-effort type basbetball and Mike D did because he was too laid back.

I hope Woodson is dead serious and he said it numerous times that he will hold players accountable, even before any news reporter mentioned it so you know he has to focus on that.

red32

Benchwarmer
it could be bull but look at the history. Mike Woodson was thrown out of Atlanta because he started to get in the face of Josh Smith, who is always a cry baby and is known to give people a hard time. Woodson was too hard on him....Mike D is the exact opposite he is just too soft and lets players roll over him.

We need a coach with enough balls to bench Amare or Melo when they do something stupid that changes momentum. and a coach that will teach melo and amare what to do and not do IN THE GAME.

Mike D did bench thos two guys but how many times did he leave them in when they were absolutely terrible? How many times did he leave Melo in even after Melo was jacking up dumb shots and committing stupid turnovers because of his frustration. And still playing Amare after he would give no effort on defense or rebounding?

Woodson, in my opinion, would not allow these guys to get away with no-effort type basbetball and Mike D did because he was too laid back.

I hope Woodson is dead serious and he said it numerous times that he will hold players accountable, even before any news reporter mentioned it so you know he has to focus on that.

We'll see how it goes. It's just kinda hard to lean on your stars when they are sitting down...

quiggle

Starter
whats probably going to happen after this season is Mike will stay on as Knicks head coach next season and he will bring back Isiah as an assistant. Phil or Jerry have no clout or whatever to impact Dolan enough to bring them here.

Red

TYPE-A
Mike Woodson is coaching fundamentally sound ball.

-He's going to our strengths. This builds confidence and consistency because the team builds an identity and has something solid to fall back on during times of duress.

-His substitution patterns are solid, where we can build chemistry with two separate units. This allows us to come at the opposition in waves.

-He preaches accountability. Need I say more?

So far, Woodson is a breath of fresh air. Finally after years I can count on doing things fundamentally sound as to not beat ourselves. It allows for a better product and evaluation as the fluid dynamics are reduced from the past.

Woodson's approach as many can agree to also puts the onus on the Star, High paid players, and not adherence to a system. This exaggerates the intangibles like leadership and sacrifice needed to be the best.

No complaints from me except...

what took so long?

red32

Benchwarmer
Mike Woodson is coaching fundamentally sound ball.

-He's going to our strengths. This builds confidence and consistency because the team builds an identity and has something solid to fall back on during times of duress.

-His substitution patterns are solid, where we can build chemistry with two separate units. This allows us to come at the opposition in waves.

-He preaches accountability. Need I say more?

So far, Woodson is a breath of fresh air. Finally after years I can count on doing things fundamentally sound as to not beat ourselves. It allows for a better product and evaluation as the fluid dynamics are reduced from the past.

Woodson's approach as many can agree to also puts the onus on the Star, High paid players, and not adherence to a system. This exaggerates the intangibles like leadership and sacrifice needed to be the best.

No complaints from me except...

what took so long?

I do like him getting the 2nd unit in earlier.