Mike Woodson Head Coach thread

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I loved his substitutions. I never liked Baron coming in the second quarter/that late in the first.

Here's to hoping you do a great job and become our head coach for the long haul, Woodson!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Woodson seems to have some sort of swag to him.

I don't know what exactly went on in the Knicks' locker room, but I get the feeling that Mike D'Antoni could not control his players.

But Woodson seems like someone YOU JUST SHOULD NOT MESS WITH.

He said that he would make DAMN sure that they were held accountable. I hope he means it.

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Woodson seems like the right man for the job.

I remember a lot of interviews where players credited him over the last 6 months. I specifically remember Lin mentioning him a few times as helping out his game.

I think players disliked MAD considering the crap he said about players in post game interviews.

I think the players will work well with and respect Woodson.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
So quick to anoint Woodson but I remember the Knicks looking pretty damn good during the "Linsanity" stretch when Melo sat out the entire stretch and Stat for the most part. Before you hoist Woodson up and crown him the savior, let's see if this play can be sustained for the rest of the season. We blew out a crappy Portland team (by the way, as we should) but we still are looking at Indiana twice this month as well as Philly, Atlanta, Orlando and Milwaukee (Who owns us) then we get into April and the schedule gets a little tougher!
I hope Woodson turns it around but I have a sneaky suspicion that we will be revisiting the "Trade Carmelo" theme at the end of this season.....

p0nder

Starter
I loved his substitutions. I never liked Baron coming in the second quarter/that late in the first.

Here's to hoping you do a great job and become our head coach for the long haul, Woodson!

Agreed. he is a better clock manager as well. I would have rather had woodson as HC and dan't as the assistant. I hope that this play we saw last night keeps up and we are a consistent team from here on out.

:gony:

Eman

Benchwarmer
The return of Mike Bibby! Granted we were up by a lot, but would D'Antoni have gone that deep in the bench?

Kiyaman

Legend
So quick to anoint Woodson but I remember the Knicks looking pretty damn good during the "Linsanity" stretch when Melo sat out the entire stretch and Stat for the most part. Before you hoist Woodson up and crown him the savior, let's see if this play can be sustained for the rest of the season. We blew out a crappy Portland team (by the way, as we should) but we still are looking at Indiana twice this month as well as Philly, Atlanta, Orlando and Milwaukee (Who owns us) then we get into April and the schedule gets a little tougher!
I hope Woodson turns it around but I have a sneaky suspicion that we will be revisiting the "Trade Carmelo" theme at the end of this season.....

Somebody get this guy a tissue

p0nder

Starter
I'm wondering how long it will be before the iso-melo coaching system of woodson gets ripped up by the posters here. Will the anti-dant crowd resurface with new seething hatred for woodson? or will it be the dantoni suporters that take up the torch and bash woodson and call for chants of his head at games?

Kiyaman

Legend
Career highs in MSG have been going down long before MDA.

This is why Dantoni = Isiah
:thumbsup:
Ewing & Oak didnt allow career highs, Camby, Kurt, and Spree didnt either....
And Isiah gettiing rid of Mutombo, Doleac, Kurt, and Mcdyess within his 12 months
on the job was the invitation to get career or season highs in MSG.

People keep bringing up that Lin stretch as if he sweapt thru the playoffs. No one knew anything about Lin, not even the clueless coach.... but that is hardy mentioned and I wonder why.

Anyway, I'm here to send congrat's to Woodson on a well coach game. And I appreciate him bringing defense to this team. I was never worried about the scoring coming from the Knicks, we have that locked down. If Woodson can maintain this defensive presence we will be a force to wreckon with.

D wins games and this is one of the main reasons D'Ant left...plus not being able to use a player that so many coaches in the league would be happy to have on their roster.

I'm comfortable with what I'm seeing right now. The players look happy too. lol

If Melo doesn't get back to 05-08 Melo with Woodson's Isolation system, than i dont know if there is anymore anybody can do with this guy.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm wondering how long it will be before the iso-melo coaching system of woodson gets ripped up by the posters here. Will the anti-dant crowd resurface with new seething hatred for woodson? or will it be the dantoni suporters that take up the torch and bash woodson and call for chants of his head at games?

Woodson having a real 3-point shooting SF in Kovak who is always moving without
the ball, plus Kovak have a great peremeter-defensive game, Woodson have no problem taking
Melo & Stat out the game when one of them take their time on defense to replace
them with "Novak & Jefferies" the two fowards should become a tandem to give
Melo & Stat bench time (together) to figure out what they have to do to win.
Last night win over Portland, Stat & Melo figured staying on the bench the final
16 minutes would lead to a Knicks win.

I dont see anyone bashing Woodson after he take this Knicks loaded roster of talent
on several winning-streaks in the remaining 23 games. The Knicks will win consistently
by having several different high scorers each game....
Last night win was Novak/Smith night.

Kiyaman

Legend
People keep bringing up that Lin stretch as if he sweapt thru the playoffs. No one knew anything about Lin, not even the clueless coach.... but that is hardy mentioned and I wonder why.

Anyway, I'm here to send congrat's to Woodson on a well coach game. And I appreciate him bringing defense to this team. I was never worried about the scoring coming from the Knicks, we have that locked down. If Woodson can maintain this defensive presence we will be a force to wreckon with.

D wins games and this is one of the main reasons D'Ant left...plus not being able to use a player that so many coaches in the league would be happy to have on their roster.

Lin-Sanity 7 game win streak was from players putting twice as much energy on the defensive-end then they did on the offensive-end....when peeps dont bring that as the number-one reason for the Lin-Sanity wins....their topic is a waste of energy to read....Lin/Jefferies/Tyson

MusketeerX

Rotation player

Completely agree. +1 on the D comments. Our offense will come. One thing i did not see last night -- any ridiculous switching. It happened only when they got caught on a screen and correctly read that they needed to switch to avoid an open lane.

nyk_nyk

All Star
How do you guys see Woodson running this team? Will he play a strict half court type of offense? Will our defense improve under his leadership? Will we see an ISO-Joe redux with ISO-Melo? Will he shave his goddamn beard?

This thread is all about our new interim head coach Mike Woodson. Welcome to the New York Knickerbockers and Congratulations on your recent promotion. Goodluck Woody, you're gonna need it :beer:

Look below.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Knicks learning new star-focused offense under Woodson

http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_learning_new_star_centered_5gC62xfiyJD0l2r3PBYEdL
Speedball officially died in Westchester on Thursday.
Interim Knicks coach Mike Woodson staged his first practice Thursday and reporters got to see implementation of a host of structured, deliberate set plays that was absent in the read-and-ract Mike D’Antoni speedball offense. D’Antoni resigned Wednesday, feeling he didn’t have enough guys buying into the share-the-ball system, specifically Carmelo Anthony.

Amar'e Stoudemire admitted the offensive system is changing dramatically under Woodson in blending more toward the superstars, less toward Linsanity. Woodson admitted afterward point guard Jeremy Lin still is in a “learning stage.’’

"He's going to utilize his leading scorers, myself and Carmelo (Anthony), make sure he takes advantage of every opportunity on the court,'' Stoudemire said after practice. "We've been profound scorers all our careers. He wants to make sure we take advantage of that."

“It’s going to be different for us,’’ Stoudemire added. “Coach Woodson has his offense and offensive schemes. We have to readjust to that. We are all receiving it well. We’re excited about it. We can’t wait to play in the new offense.‘’

sounds like NBA coaching 101 to me. Nice!