Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mike Woodson Head Coach thread

Well to me it seems the 2 biggest changes he made in game was defense and having the Knicks play more half court basketball.

Accountability too which not for nothing the best coaches do that alongside time management. However I like his qoute about being accountable himself, and probably telling JR to cool it because the Knicks play those guys tomorrow and then letting him hang out on the bench was cool.

Also he has performed a miracle because Amare was playing D and fighting (though no winning) for rebounds whenever he was in. O.O

I never saw Amar'e so active till tonights game. Did you see the save he made in the 4th qtr. Talk about hustle. Man, if Woody can get these guys to believe in themselves, this team could make some noise if we stay healthy

Veteran

Woodson giving 10 players playingtime before halftime in his first two games....
    Is enough to explain why he is the better headcoach for the Knicks.
    Plus it also demonstrate "Headcoach Mike Woodson First" confidence in 10 of the
    players on the roster. A roster that knows their coach have confidence in them is a
    happy-roster. And a happy-roster WIN games.
    How players perform for Woodson, and how players perform for Dantoni is Dantoni's
    personal doing.

The Knicks roster have 8 players that could score 10 points in 20 minutes....
    so their was no need to play the star-players 36 to 40 minutes of playintime vs mediocre
    teams this season. The top defensive teams in the NBA have a 9+ man rotation....
    it takes twice the energy to play defense than it does on offense which should explain Woodson 10+ Man rotation.

I'm liking what i see so far. Wasn't it great to see the guys in the huddle paying attention and Woodson drawing up a play to run. At least this guy looks like he tries his best. i never felt that with Dantoni. Now the true test for Woodson will be if he makes the necessary adjustments that Dantoni never did

Originally Posted by red32
    We'll see how it goes. It's just kinda hard to lean on your stars when they are sitting down...
    He hasnt had to lean on them. They played defense early in the games. Melo and STAT dropped 15 in the 1st half against Portland.

No need to keep playing them after we had a huge lead.

Same defensive intensity in the Pacers game. First qurtr they dominate defensively. Enter Novak blow up the lead. Voila. STAT and Melo can now just chill on the bench and rest those old knees and creaky back.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Woodson giving 10 players playingtime before halftime in his first two games....
    Is enough to explain why he is the better headcoach for the Knicks.
    Plus it also demonstrate "Headcoach Mike Woodson First" confidence in 10 of the
    players on the roster. A roster that knows their coach have confidence in them is a
    happy-roster. And a happy-roster WIN games.
    How players perform for Woodson, and how players perform for Dantoni is Dantoni's
    personal doing.

The Knicks roster have 8 players that could score 10 points in 20 minutes....
    so their was no need to play the star-players 36 to 40 minutes of playintime vs mediocre
    teams this season. The top defensive teams in the NBA have a 9+ man rotation....
    it takes twice the energy to play defense than it does on offense which should explain Woodson 10+ Man rotation.
    good post Kiyamania!

Veteran

Originally Posted by petescud
    I'm liking what i see so far. Wasn't it great to see the guys in the huddle paying attention and Woodson drawing up a play to run. At least this guy looks like he tries his best. i never felt that with Dantoni. Now the true test for Woodson will be if he makes the necessary adjustments that Dantoni never did
    Why you did not like Mike Dantonio"s style of calling a time-out and letting the players sit while he held a pow wow with his borther 10 feet away...

I bust a nut to everything Mike Woodson has been preaching since he became headcoach.. Been a long while since we had that man..

Originally Posted by JazRedGT
    He hasnt had to lean on them. They played defense early in the games. Melo and STAT dropped 15 in the 1st half against Portland.

No need to keep playing them after we had a huge lead.

Same defensive intensity in the Pacers game. First qurtr they dominate defensively. Enter Novak blow up the lead. Voila. STAT and Melo can now just chill on the bench and rest those old knees and creaky back.
    I think Woodson is ABLE to take ANYONE out, even in the 4Q because this team is just so deep and the guys in the 2nd unit play just as good, if not better, as the starters. The questions is, if he would ACTUALLY do it in a close game in the 4th, and how would the players react to that.

I guess we'll see.

Originally Posted by petescud
    I'm kinda worried to see reports that JR Smith was not looking attentive or happy during the last part of yesterdays game after he got taken out for his technical foul.

I know a lot of you guys dick on Breen all the time but I think he's right you gotta show some respect for your opponent ESPECIALLY when you play them the very next day and we know the Pacers are not a bad team from their playoff standing.

There's speculation that JR Smith is not happy with his role here which is a shame because having him next season on the 3.5mil player option would be amazing.

Perhaps Woodson's only mistake so far was to not get in his players ears a little when we faced Portland to keep them under control at the end of the 4th. May have backfired by doing it the following night.

I don't know who said it (Kiyaman?), Woodson played under Red Holzman. I just looked it it up and I didn't know he came back to coach in 1978-1982. Woodson learning basketball under him is a big thing on his resume.

Superstar

Seriously...if D'Antoni was coaching lin would play 45 minutes tonight cuz he's the only one that can run his stupid system.

I believe that the Knicks are playing great team defense because the players are all getting adequate rest during the game. Woodson already > D'Antoni.

Superstar

I love how woodson, gets on our guys for being lazy sometimes.He keeps there heads in the game, and keeps them playing hard.I love you woody.

Veteran

Originally Posted by clumsy
    Seriously...if D'Antoni was coaching lin would play 45 minutes tonight cuz he's the only one that can run his stupid system.

I believe that the Knicks are playing great team defense because the players are all getting adequate rest during the game. Woodson already > D'Antoni.
    Thats BS.,,,,,,,,,They are playing great defense because Woodson has made it clear if you dont your out of the game........Unlike Dantonio who would have a side-bar with his brother

Originally Posted by Red
    Mike Woodson is coaching fundamentally sound ball.

-He's going to our strengths. This builds confidence and consistency because the team builds an identity and has something solid to fall back on during times of duress.

-His substitution patterns are solid, where we can build chemistry with two separate units. This allows us to come at the opposition in waves.

-He preaches accountability. Need I say more?

So far, Woodson is a breath of fresh air. Finally after years I can count on doing things fundamentally sound as to not beat ourselves. It allows for a better product and evaluation as the fluid dynamics are reduced from the past.

Woodson's approach as many can agree to also puts the onus on the Star, High paid players, and not adherence to a system. This exaggerates the intangibles like leadership and sacrifice needed to be the best.

No complaints from me except...

what took so long?
    good one Red, or should I call you... Rep. +1