Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Mike Woodson Head Coach thread

Originally Posted by skisloper
    Why you did not like Mike Dantonio"s style of calling a time-out and letting the players sit while he held a pow wow with his borther 10 feet away...
    LOL seriously I thought that was the strangest thing ever.

I think a critical aspect that can't be overlooked is that with Woodson's expanded rotation, players are getting more rest and they're getting it earlier in the game. How many games this season have we started out the first half looking fresh and ready to go, staying neck-and-neck with some of the best teams in the league? But once the third quarter started we would watch the Knicks' lead and our hopes slowly erode and crumble away into nothingness.

Now the starters have the energy to close out games, and even the second unit could theoretically close out most games. I think we're going to see a lot more 20-minute cameo's for Melo, Amare, Lin and Chandler against the lesser opposition we have left on the schedule.

Superstar

From Mark Hale;
    There have been occasions when the Knicks will be watching film and Mike Woodson will essentially shred Carmelo Anthony non-stop — a relentless critique of the Knicks star.
    “After the film session, he’ll say, ‘Did you like that?’ ” Anthony said yesterday. “It goes hand in hand. But I accept that. Being one of the leaders on this team, you’ve got to be able to accept criticism.”
    Anthony said he not only has zero issues with being criticized, but he encourages the interim head coach to dish it out. Is this just public lip service, and the private reality is that Anthony gets unhappy with the disparagement? Could be. But he insists he told Woodson he can handle it.
    When I’m messing up, he tells me. Even when he got the job, I told him, ‘Just hold me accountable,’ Anthony said. “If I’m doing something that he doesn’t like, just tell me.
    “Regardless, I don’t have a problem with criticism. If I can do something to help better this team, let me know. And he’s been doing that.”

Hell.... I"m just glad that players are being held accountable. There seem to be two type of coaches. Tough guys who are needed to help underachievers and/or young players with discipline and relaxed coaches with a ton of knowledge who can help veteran teams over the hump into championship contenders. Popovich is probably the one coach that does both.

Unfortunately the Knicks have immature stars and players that need a lot of guidance. Just didn't fit with DAntoni who did the right thing and left with a tiny shred of dignity.

Originally Posted by iJoe
    From Mark Hale;
    There have been occasions when the Knicks will be watching film and Mike Woodson will essentially shred Carmelo Anthony non-stop — a relentless critique of the Knicks star.
    “After the film session, he’ll say, ‘Did you like that?’ ” Anthony said yesterday. “It goes hand in hand. But I accept that. Being one of the leaders on this team, you’ve got to be able to accept criticism.”
    Anthony said he not only has zero issues with being criticized, but he encourages the interim head coach to dish it out. Is this just public lip service, and the private reality is that Anthony gets unhappy with the disparagement? Could be. But he insists he told Woodson he can handle it.
    When I’m messing up, he tells me. Even when he got the job, I told him, ‘Just hold me accountable,’ Anthony said. “If I’m doing something that he doesn’t like, just tell me.
    “Regardless, I don’t have a problem with criticism. If I can do something to help better this team, let me know. And he’s been doing that.”

Hell.... I"m just glad that players are being held accountable. There seem to be two type of coaches. Tough guys who are needed to help underachievers and/or young players with discipline and relaxed coaches with a ton of knowledge who can help veteran teams over the hump into championship contenders. Popovich is probably the one coach that does both.

Unfortunately the Knicks have immature stars and players that need a lot of guidance. Just didn't fit with DAntoni who did the right thing and left with a tiny shred of dignity.

Well truthfully the article seems to contradict your point that the stars are immature. STAT we know isnt. If Melo is what this article describes I'd guess that he isnt either. Thats immature. All players need to know what a coach expects. Melo has played 3 games under Woody, I think guidance is necessary at this point

Superstar

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl

Well truthfully the article seems to contradict your point that the stars are immature. STAT we know isnt. If Melo is what this article describes I'd guess that he isnt either. Thats immature. All players need to know what a coach expects. Melo has played 3 games under Woody, I think guidance is necessary at this point
    I equate it with a kid starting to grow up.... especially with all the bad press Melo has. Melo needs a strict parent to help him grow up a little and I'm happy that he wants the guidance.

Originally Posted by TakMan
    See whilst it was Woodson's defence that made atlanta a well placed team in the East, it was his lack of variety offered on offence that did not allow them to perform in the playoffs. Even the worst defensive teams step it up in the playoffs. This is where a balance is required. Woodson himself stated that the Knicks would keep certain aspects of D'Antoni's offence during his tenure. He's still running the pick n roll and we're still shooting lots of 3's. My interest is whether Woodson is going to progressively change the offensive plan or whether he's trying to add to his tactics.
    I think he's taking the little he observed from Antoni on offense and is slowly fusing what he does. I think its having an extremely positive effect and will continue as long as guys continue to execute and get use to what he wants.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    I think he's taking the little he observed from Antoni on offense and is slowly fusing what he does. I think its having an extremely positive effect and will continue as long as guys continue to execute and get use to what he wants.
    Exactly I've touched on this in other posts that Woodson probably learned a few things from MDA which is great, fingers crossed he's not so stubborn as MDA and can continue to incorporate it in his game because right now it's being very successful for us.