23 games Remain (Miss playoffs, 6-8th seed?): My guess 35-31 record

mafra

Legend
Currently, MIL-NYK are tied for the 8th seed. There's 23 games left, & both teams trail both BOS-ATL by 5 games (on the loss side). Unless either the Celtics & Hawks falter, or either the Bucks or Knicks get red hot & run off something like 18-5, to close the season... The realistic chances of catching BOS or ATL is slim.

Sure, we can hope NYK get hot & starting rolling... We play BOS once, & ATL twice... B/C our playoff lifespan would drastically increase if NYK creeped into the 6th seed (avoiding CHI & MIA in the 1st round).

Still, right now it's 50/50 if we even make the playoffs.

MIL has 23 games left. They play NY twice in the next 15 games. I think they're 2-0 vs NY so far, so it's imperative NYK win both games and draw a tie. Otherwise the Bucks earn the tiebreaker, and thus we would have to finish 1 game better to procur the 8th seed.

Here's MIL's remaining 23 games:

@GSW, @POR, BOS, @CHA, INDY, @NYK, ATL, @CLE, MEM, @WASH, CLE, CHA, POR, OKC, NYK, @DET, INDY, @WAS, @INDY, NJ, TOR, PHI, @BOS.

Here's NYK's remaining 23 games:

INDY, @INDY, TOR, @PHI, @TOR, DET, MIL, ORL, @ATL, CLE, @INDY, @ORL, CHI, @CHI, @MIL, WAS, MIA, BOS, @NJ, @CLE, @ATL, LAC, @CHA.

I think NOW is the time for NYK. We'll find out what our odds look like the next 7 games. 6-1 would be what i would call for. Indy, TOR, DET & MIL at home. Win all 4 games. @INDY, @PHI, @TOR. Go 2-1. I'll set 5-2 as par, & anything left is bad, & might spell doom.

We can only hope ORL deals Howard today. We play ORL twice. After the next 7 games we have a tough 11 game stretch. Say Dwight stays in ORL. We split those 2 games. We'll be lucky to plit the 2 CHI games. Same w/ the MIA-BOS games. That's 3-3 right there. CLE always plays us tough, but we better win that game, along w/ the game in MIL & home vs WAS. 3-0 is imperative. Then there the 3rd INDY game. Actually, 3 of the next 11 games are vs INDY (2 in INDY). 2-1 is what we should expect. In other words, 6-4 in this stretch of 10 is what we should expect.

5-2 plus 6-4 gets us to 11-6. We're 19-24 now. If we go 11-6, that puts us at 30-30 as we enter the final 6-game stretch to close the season.

We can win all 6. @NJ, @CLE, @ATL, LAC, @CHA. 5-1 is par here.

30-30 plus 5-1 puts NYK at 35-31. Is this enough to make the playoffs?

I doubt 35-31 gets us to the 6th seed. ATL schedule isn't terribly bad, so all they need to do is go 12-11. BOS has the toughest schedule of the 6-9 teams in the East. They have 24 games left. They would need to go 13-11. It's possible we could catch BOS, & even best MIL to the finish line... But I don't see us moving up to 6... I do think we'll make the playoffs though.

Rather face Bulls or Heat?

p0nder

Starter
Match up wise I think we take the bulls on better then the heat, I don't think we would beat either in a 7 game series. I think 7th seed is reasonable. I can see boston falling out of the race and I don't think the bucks are as good as some people think, especially after that deal.

Time will tell, last nights game was encouraging, but we need to be consistent.

mafra

Legend
Are you promoting your own thread in mine? Stop that! Tee-hee. Anyway, this isn't about predicting W-L record post all-star break. This thread is about odds of NYK escaping death trap of 7-8 seed, if they can even hold off MIL.

I think the Bucks did get better. Bogut has been out most of the season, & SJAX was giving them nothing. Gooden has been playing well in Bogut's stead. M-Ellis will only give them a boost, and a formidbale offensive backcourt w/ BJ.

The 2 games we play against MIL might be the difference. We better win both of them.

BOS will help us if they make some deals. Trade KG or Allen? PP even. They have the toughest schedule. It's possible both NY & MIL make it, & BOS falls out of it.

let's hope DUKE makes a run so DOC is distracted watching little Rivers perform in the tourny.

I think Woodson knows this team better D'Ant. With him as the leader we will have some real defensive schemes and our stars will have their time to shine.

I trust Woodson more than D'ant simply because he's a defensive minded coach. Our players don't need a so called offensive minded genius to score...we needed heart, energy and intensity on the Defensive end. Once you have that.... the offense will open up and it really doesn't matter who you have on your team. We are def in a better position with Woody in charge.

p0nder

Starter
I think that the bucks will have growing pains with ellis and jennings, not enough shots to go around "cant co-exist" etc. eventually i think they will be good though.

Knicks need to play better then .500 to get to the playoffs though.

mafra

Legend
Well, 2-0 is a good start. 21 games left.

Never easy winning the dreaded back-to-back, home/away, vs the same team. And we did is against a playoff teams in a pretty much easy manner.

Now we got TOR twice and PHI. Looks like 2-1 should be easy. Then we get DET at home, and then another 2 home games (MIL & ORL). 4-1 going into that ORL game, inlcuding a nice victory over the Bucks... NY on its way.

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
We have a chance to win the next 10 games.
Toronto, Philadelphia, Detroit, Bucks, Orlando, Atlanta and Indiana.

We can beat all of those teams.

The teams that we will have a hard time are Chicago (2x), Heat, and Clippers.

We have 21 games left, with 4 of them being extremely difficult. The other 17 we can win. In fact, should win. We get 7th seed.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I love your optimism, but it's time to realize we're an unpredictable team this season. It's impossible to say what will be our record at the end of the season. IMO we should assign priorities for the remaining schedule:

- winning record: I don't care if we'll be .510 or .590, I just want us to be a winning team,

- beat the Bucks twice to tie the series, they cannot have a tiebreaker,

- beat the fukking C's.

skisloper

Starter
Those 2 bucks match-ups are so important.........The team is playing well and beating Indiana back to back is sweet.........too soon to get too excited because technically we would not be in the playoffs today if the Bucks played one more game and won.......

Lin's adjustment has been awesome.....The few times he over dribbled last night Woodson will be in his ear loudly about and I think LIN is the type of player who listens and learns.....

Our major issue is the Bucks have the easiest schedule in the East for these next 22 games.......so the KNICKS have no room for error.....

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
7th seed means we'll either face MIA or CHI... which could definitely mean very short playoff run....
we just beat 5th seed IND two in a row.. we gotta hustle and make that 6th seed.

8th and 7th just arent gonna cut it.

lookgrabpull

Benchwarmer
How big exactly is our margin of error? I mean how many games must we win? Is there any one particular game which we can't lose? (I guess the bucks, but that only makes the race depend on them entirely)...

Also what do you guys think would happen if we don't make the playoffs? We can't fire MDA again right? You think Stat/Melo will stay here even if we don't make it even to the 8th seed?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I'm trying to be realistic. The Knicks definitely aren't going to finish the year with a .500 record, but they don't need a .500 record to make the playoffs.

The Bucks have Monta Ellis, but he's considered a ball stopper by many.

It could go either way, but I think the Knicks and Bucks will finish with the same record. So whoever has the tiebreaker will make it. The Knicks have to win their next two matchups against the Bucks, if they want to get in.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I'm trying to be realistic. The Knicks definitely aren't going to finish the year with a .500 record, but they don't need a .500 record to make the playoffs.

The Bucks have Monta Ellis, but he's considered a ball stopper by many.

It could go either way, but I think the Knicks and Bucks will finish with the same record. So whoever has the tiebreaker will make it. The Knicks have to win their next two matchups against the Bucks, if they want to get in.

How is that being realistic saying the Knicks won't have a .500 record most likely their record will hover around .500 especially since the next 10 games or so are very favorable.

Kiyaman

Legend
Woodson is 3-0 with a defense to go 11-0....29-24 record

Mike Woodson First....3-0 Defense is going on a WIN streak
applause.gif
:thumbsup:
vsToronto ....W
@Philadelphia ....OT win
@Toronto ....W
vsDetroit ....W
vsMilwaukee ....W
vsOrlando ....W
@Atlanta ....W
vsCleveland ....W
wink.gif
If we lose two of the above games our record stands at (27-26) with 13 games
remaining to fight for the 5th or 6th seed.
:smokin::gony: :smokin:

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Hi guys. I am a long time Knick fan and this is my FIRST post.
I think now, that we got rid of the worst coach in the entire NBA, the whole attitude has changed. And i mean teams, fans and even medias.
It was a no brainer to make that change, and i wish it was done sooner.
Here is what i think about our chances.
I think we are going to make playoffs for sure. Ideally , 5th spot would be great, to avoid teams like Miami, Chicago and Orlando, but honestly, if we continue to play with defensive intensity like knicks demonstrated in last 3 games, we can beat everyone in the east but Heat.
This team is deepest in the league, great frontcourt, decent backcourt, great bench, with a lethal shooter in Novak.
We might even beat Miami, because our frontcourt is a lot better, our bench is longer and a much better. We will see, but i am very optimistic right now.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Knicks have a lot of winnable games coming up. The Knicks blew out both games of a home-and-home series against the 4th best team in the EC (they're only behind the 76ers for divisional reasons, they have a better record). They're playing a lot of shit teams coming up and they need to get their act together and win those games. Especially considering the Celtics have a couple tough games coming up - we might be able to overtake them.

Keep up this defensive intensity and we can do what the Giants did. The Knicks are deep...scoring isn't a prob. Once we're in a series we have the edge....if we stay playing the same way. Any team can lose to us...Portland beat Chicago after we clobbered them. Chicago didn't have Rose but they beat a hot Miami heat team without Rose too...while we almost beat them when he was playing. I like our chances going forward...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Brilliant thread, mafra!

Nicely put together.

We most certainly need that tie breaker with the Bucks, and the more emphatic the victories, the better. The Bucks have a far easier schedule than us as the season closes, but they also just added Monta Ellis. If they click early, that's a back-court that can burn any other out of sheer speed.

Seeing what we're capable of since D'Antoni's departure, excluding the Blazers game, I can't help but wonder how we got to this stage; fighting for 8th.

Mike Woodson First....3-0 Defense is going on a WIN streak
applause.gif
vsToronto ....W
@Philadelphia ....OT win
@Toronto ....W
vsDetroit ....W
vsMilwaukee ....W
vsOrlando ....W
@Atlanta ....W
vsCleveland ....W
wink.gif
If we lose two of the above games our record stands at (27-26) with 13 games
remaining to fight for the 5th or 6th seed.
:smokin::gony: :smokin:

I agree, Kiyaman.

I think we can come away with, at the very least, an 8-2 over our next 10, and potentially supplant those faggot Celtics for 7th. If it ends up as Milwaukee VS Boston for 8th and Boston loses, that'll be my supplementary win once the playoffs are over for the Knicks.

So, I think Boston has to be added to the conversation, as we're only 2.5 games back on them. Their remaining schedule is comparatively about as challenging as NY's.

Monday, March 19 @ Atlanta Hawks 7:30 p.m. -
46 Thursday, March 22 @ Milwaukee Bucks 8:00 p.m.
-
47 Friday, March 23 @ Philadelphia 76ers 8:00 p.m.
-
48 Sunday, March 25 Washington Wizards 6:00 p.m. -

49 Monday, March 26 @ Charlotte Bobcats 7:00 p.m. -

50 Wednesday, March 28 Utah Jazz 7:30 p.m. -

51 Friday, March 30 @ Minnesota Timberwolves 8:00 p.m.
-

# Date Opponent Time Result Broadcast Giveaways/Promotions
52 Sunday, April 1 Miami Heat 3:30 p.m.
-
53 Wednesday, April 4 San Antonio Spurs 7:30 p.m. -

54 Thursday, April 5 @ Chicago Bulls 9:30 p.m.
-
55 Saturday, April 7 @ Indiana Pacers 7:30 p.m. -

56 Sunday, April 8 Philadelphia 76ers 6:00 p.m.
-
57 Tuesday, April 10 @ Miami Heat 7:00 p.m.
-
58 Wednesday, April 11 Atlanta Hawks 8:00 p.m.
-
59 Friday, April 13 @ Toronto Raptors 7:00 p.m. -

60 Saturday, April 14 @ New Jersey Nets 7:30 p.m. -

61 Sunday, April 15 @ Charlotte Bobcats 6:00 p.m. -

62 Tuesday, April 17 @ New York Knicks 8:00 p.m.
-
63 Wednesday, April 18 Orlando Magic 8:00 p.m.
-
64 Friday, April 20 @ Atlanta Hawks 7:00 p.m.
-
65 Tuesday, April 24 Miami Heat 8:00 p.m.
-
66 Thursday, April 26 Milwaukee Bucks

We can take these decrepit old knob suckers, but whether or not Miami end up first or second seed remains to be seen. Much prefer to play the Bulls in the opener.

We're 5 games back on 6th seed Atlanta, and I'm not sure of that's within our reach or not. We could definitely take Orlando.

★ Wicked threadage, mafra. OPs and thoroughness like this are the reasons why I come to this site.

Last edited: