Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: Mike Woodson to lean on stars

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Lol @ people on here.

    Paying more attention to politics than the actual team.

    I guess MDA's decision to force the man who is considered our most talented player...to fit into his system, and make not a single ****ing adjustment, when it wasn't working...was what...good coaching?

    Then when Melo, who hasn't been coached by MDA virtually his entire career like Amar'e, shows signs of frustration, and I can reasonably assume he also spoke to Mike about it....we look at Melo like "yo, what gives? BUY IN!!"

    Another media term bandied about that people pick up, and regurgitate like a bulimic getting rid of that food.

    I'm sorry...when you're doing exactly what you're told...and it's not working, at what point do you say "nah, let's try something else."

    As much as people don't wanna hear it, or agree with it...that's actually more of a sign of leadership as apposed to some slap dick ******* that's gonna be a yes-man with the "ok, mhhmm, yep, you want me to....yeah, ok, no problem, yep, ahhhh well if it doesn't work I'll just do it again, yea, fine, no prob."

    A star player not being utilized properly in the offense for the sake of an ideology, and "system"; yet he's somehow wrong to be upset...because...I dunno...he's either not meeting some contrived standard that's been set only in the minds of a small faction of people, or because the media keeps saying "let's talk about Carmelo?" So you get people ranting about his FG% without the slightest idea of what's causing the drop in FG% other than "his shots aren't falling, and I can't believe he's not buying in"

    Like it or not, you gotta build your team around your stars. When you acquire a star, there's a reason why it's called a "franchise changing move." Hell, the best coaches just switch it up on the fly to accommodate the talent they have, like Greg Popovich. Spurs went from a defensive stalwart, to an up tempo, 3-point shooting, juggernaut last year.

    Rosters cultivate your team's philosophy, and identity. You might have your own beliefs, and want to run a different kind of system, but if you don't have the players for it, you have to work with what you have -- even if that means changing your MO for the time being.

    Melo is one of, if not the most important component on the roster, once you have him, love it or not, you gotta work with what you have -- not despite what you have.

    MDA has his MO, philosophy, and team identity set before he even has his roster. That's ass backwards.
    yet this might still have to be said in some other unheard of languages, lol

    great post dude.

  2. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,965
    Rep Power
    18

    Angry Some KO members refuse to go to school!!!

    Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Sorry to hear that.

    While I'm cool with keeping Amar'e around, Melo is dead for me.

    His reaction to D'Antoni's demission was the reaction of a selish and arrogant ******* imo.

    It's obvious to me that he pulled the strings in the background that led to D'Antoni's exit, disrespecting his coach and co captain Amar'e (who's a huge D'Antoni supporter and friend of him) in the process.

    I also remember the trash he talked about George Carl and Denver after the trade.

    Melo is a snitch and a cancer to any team he's on.

    I wish we had never traded for him, but Deron Williams or signed Amar'e AND Joe Johnson in 2010 to form a very nice 1-2 punch.

    Melo is basically Kobe without the skills, talent, work ethic and success that Kobe has.

    If u dont know u need to ask somebody before spitting Shutbull....
    Dantoni 1-9 start, Dantoni personal DNP, Dantoni tanking two seasons,
    Dantoni 6 game losing streak at the end of January force the Melo trade.
    Dantoni was 99% FIRED the week Lin-Sanity had a tripple-double in the
    D.League. There are a HELLUVA lot of ex-Phoenix players and ex-Knicks
    players celebrating bigtime on Dantoni Firing (resigning) from the Knicks.

    Dantoni coaching did not keep him a Knicks headcoach for 4 seasons....
    it was the top NBA analyst, commentators, annoucers, and writers reminding
    folks constanly for 3 and a half years of "Dantoni taking on Isiah Thomas
    mess"....
    Isiah being the most hated player/coach/GM in the history of the NBA.

    The Knicks got rid of Dantoni for the same reason Denver & Phoenix got rid of Dantoni....
    Melo had nothing to do with the Knicks getting rid of Dantoni....
    the damn media bringing-up Melo name consistently with Dwight Howard everyday,
    weeks before the trading deadline at every Knicks loss....brang Dolan into the picture....
    Dolan raise the prices of tickets to a sold-out MSG with the addition of Melo.
    Do the DAMN MATH....Dantoni shouldve been FIRED 3 years ago.

  3. #18
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by carlhil2
    And DWill didn't get his coach fired? God, you guys are blinded by hate!
    You beat me to it, good point, players get coaches canned all the time,C'ANToni didn't make it hard to do, anyway.

  4. #19
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Lol @ people on here.

    Paying more attention to politics than the actual team.

    I guess MDA's decision to force the man who is considered our most talented player...to fit into his system, and make not a single ****ing adjustment, when it wasn't working...was what...good coaching?

    Then when Melo, who hasn't been coached by MDA virtually his entire career like Amar'e, shows signs of frustration, and I can reasonably assume he also spoke to Mike about it....we look at Melo like "yo, what gives? BUY IN!!"

    Another media term bandied about that people pick up, and regurgitate like a bulimic getting rid of that food.

    I'm sorry...when you're doing exactly what you're told...and it's not working, at what point do you say "nah, let's try something else."

    As much as people don't wanna hear it, or agree with it...that's actually more of a sign of leadership as apposed to some slap dick ******* that's gonna be a yes-man with the "ok, mhhmm, yep, you want me to....yeah, ok, no problem, yep, ahhhh well if it doesn't work I'll just do it again, yea, fine, no prob."

    A star player not being utilized properly in the offense for the sake of an ideology, and "system"; yet he's somehow wrong to be upset...because...I dunno...he's either not meeting some contrived standard that's been set only in the minds of a small faction of people, or because the media keeps saying "let's talk about Carmelo?" So you get people ranting about his FG% without the slightest idea of what's causing the drop in FG% other than "his shots aren't falling, and I can't believe he's not buying in"

    Like it or not, you gotta build your team around your stars. When you acquire a star, there's a reason why it's called a "franchise changing move." Hell, the best coaches just switch it up on the fly to accommodate the talent they have, like Greg Popovich. Spurs went from a defensive stalwart, to an up tempo, 3-point shooting, juggernaut last year.

    Rosters cultivate your team's philosophy, and identity. You might have your own beliefs, and want to run a different kind of system, but if you don't have the players for it, you have to work with what you have -- even if that means changing your MO for the time being.

    Melo is one of, if not the most important component on the roster, once you have him, love it or not, you gotta work with what you have -- not despite what you have.

    MDA has his MO, philosophy, and team identity set before he even has his roster. That's ass backwards.
    Great post .

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    yet this might still have to be said in some other unheard of languages, lol

    great post dude.
    Yes it will, sadly, lol..

  5. #20
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Mike Woodson knows how to maximize what he gets out of his players. I like what I saw from Anthony and Stoudemire against the Blazers. Anthony passed the ball for once his life, and he only took 12 shots. Stoudemire finally looked tough.

    That being said, Anthony and Stoudemire both look like they lost a step. Neither of these guys are Superstars anymore. They can be valuable All Stars, though, if they pass the ball and play some defense. SHAT and JELLO have it in them to pass the ball and play defense, so it's really up to them.

  6. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,965
    Rep Power
    18

    Thumbs up

    Mike Woodson First!

    Headcoach Mike Woodson will spend more time in the next couple of weeks working with
    our bench-players, getting 3 or 4 bench-players to gell in a lineup using a real system
    that involves cutters, slashers, jump-shooters, with alot of movement without the
    ball to set double screens. This all involve timing.

    Our two assistant coaches (call them what u like) but 9 out of 10 both will be working
    on the same system (which involves defense), and the same plays with our Starters,
    plus let the starters add their own plays according to oponents weak areas.

  7. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,965
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Lol @ people on here.

    Paying more attention to politics than the actual team.

    I guess MDA's decision to force the man who is considered our most talented player...to fit into his system, and make not a single ****ing adjustment, when it wasn't working...was what...good coaching?

    Then when Melo, who hasn't been coached by MDA virtually his entire career like Amar'e, shows signs of frustration, and I can reasonably assume he also spoke to Mike about it....we look at Melo like "yo, what gives? BUY IN!!"

    Another media term bandied about that people pick up, and regurgitate like a bulimic getting rid of that food.

    I'm sorry...when you're doing exactly what you're told...and it's not working, at what point do you say "nah, let's try something else."

    As much as people don't wanna hear it, or agree with it...that's actually more of a sign of leadership as apposed to some slap dick ******* that's gonna be a yes-man with the "ok, mhhmm, yep, you want me to....yeah, ok, no problem, yep, ahhhh well if it doesn't work I'll just do it again, yea, fine, no prob."

    A star player not being utilized properly in the offense for the sake of an ideology, and "system"; yet he's somehow wrong to be upset...because...I dunno...he's either not meeting some contrived standard that's been set only in the minds of a small faction of people, or because the media keeps saying "let's talk about Carmelo?" So you get people ranting about his FG% without the slightest idea of what's causing the drop in FG% other than "his shots aren't falling, and I can't believe he's not buying in"

    Like it or not, you gotta build your team around your stars. When you acquire a star, there's a reason why it's called a "franchise changing move." Hell, the best coaches just switch it up on the fly to accommodate the talent they have, like Greg Popovich. Spurs went from a defensive stalwart, to an up tempo, 3-point shooting, juggernaut last year.

    Rosters cultivate your team's philosophy, and identity. You might have your own beliefs, and want to run a different kind of system, but if you don't have the players for it, you have to work with what you have -- even if that means changing your MO for the time being.

    Melo is one of, if not the most important component on the roster, once you have him, love it or not, you gotta work with what you have -- not despite what you have.

    MDA has his MO, philosophy, and team identity set before he even has his roster. That's ass backwards.


    Great Post....

  8. #23

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Great Post....
    Me too. Agreed.

    You could see how Dumbphoney wasn`t interested in changing anything by the way he would sub players. what I mean is that he didn`t coach the actual game that was taking place in front of him.

    He had his sub patterns and minutes for the players worked out before the game already had started. Every game it was the same no matter what was happening in the actual game. `Melo would always play all the first quarter then sit at the start of the second and so on.

    Surely your substitution of players should depend largely on what is happening in the game. He waouls sit players when they were hot and keep players in despite the fact that they were playing terribly. This was because he had already decided on his sub patterns before the game and no matter what happened he never deviated from his pattern which shows what a terrible coach he was. What kind of coach doesn`t actually coach the game in front of him?

  9. #24
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Lol @ people on here.

    Paying more attention to politics than the actual team.

    I guess MDA's decision to force the man who is considered our most talented player...to fit into his system, and make not a single ****ing adjustment, when it wasn't working...was what...good coaching?

    Then when Melo, who hasn't been coached by MDA virtually his entire career like Amar'e, shows signs of frustration, and I can reasonably assume he also spoke to Mike about it....we look at Melo like "yo, what gives? BUY IN!!"

    Another media term bandied about that people pick up, and regurgitate like a bulimic getting rid of that food.

    I'm sorry...when you're doing exactly what you're told...and it's not working, at what point do you say "nah, let's try something else."

    As much as people don't wanna hear it, or agree with it...that's actually more of a sign of leadership as apposed to some slap dick ******* that's gonna be a yes-man with the "ok, mhhmm, yep, you want me to....yeah, ok, no problem, yep, ahhhh well if it doesn't work I'll just do it again, yea, fine, no prob."

    A star player not being utilized properly in the offense for the sake of an ideology, and "system"; yet he's somehow wrong to be upset...because...I dunno...he's either not meeting some contrived standard that's been set only in the minds of a small faction of people, or because the media keeps saying "let's talk about Carmelo?" So you get people ranting about his FG% without the slightest idea of what's causing the drop in FG% other than "his shots aren't falling, and I can't believe he's not buying in"

    Like it or not, you gotta build your team around your stars. When you acquire a star, there's a reason why it's called a "franchise changing move." Hell, the best coaches just switch it up on the fly to accommodate the talent they have, like Greg Popovich. Spurs went from a defensive stalwart, to an up tempo, 3-point shooting, juggernaut last year.

    Rosters cultivate your team's philosophy, and identity. You might have your own beliefs, and want to run a different kind of system, but if you don't have the players for it, you have to work with what you have -- even if that means changing your MO for the time being.

    Melo is one of, if not the most important component on the roster, once you have him, love it or not, you gotta work with what you have -- not despite what you have.

    MDA has his MO, philosophy, and team identity set before he even has his roster. That's ass backwards.
    Great ****ing post especially the part about Melo showing signs of leadership by not blindly following MDA's system, you really think Kobe or Jordan would try to adjust their games to a system that they don't trust of feel comfortable in I know Melo isn't either of them but thats where he wants to be so it's good he's showed that mind state.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Carmelo's statements on his teammate Jeremy Lin this morning.

    Woodson's new offense should give Carmelo Anthony more opportunity to operate in the post, meaning fewer shots for Lin. But Anthony thinks it's premature to predict the end of Linsanity.

    "Lin is Lin. I don't think Lin is paying attention to any of that stuff that is going on right now. Lin is about winning. Lin is about this team. Lin is about doing things to help this team win," Anthony said. "As far as the Linsanity thing goes, it's still there. That's not going nowhere."





    source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    426
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    If Stat and Melo can put up all-star numbers, I don't really care what type of system Woodson deploys.

  12. #27
    Veteran BIG APPLE SPORTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Harlem, NY
    Posts
    1,044
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Lol @ people on here.

    Paying more attention to politics than the actual team.

    I guess MDA's decision to force the man who is considered our most talented player...to fit into his system, and make not a single ****ing adjustment, when it wasn't working...was what...good coaching?

    Then when Melo, who hasn't been coached by MDA virtually his entire career like Amar'e, shows signs of frustration, and I can reasonably assume he also spoke to Mike about it....we look at Melo like "yo, what gives? BUY IN!!"

    Another media term bandied about that people pick up, and regurgitate like a bulimic getting rid of that food.

    I'm sorry...when you're doing exactly what you're told...and it's not working, at what point do you say "nah, let's try something else."

    As much as people don't wanna hear it, or agree with it...that's actually more of a sign of leadership as apposed to some slap dick ******* that's gonna be a yes-man with the "ok, mhhmm, yep, you want me to....yeah, ok, no problem, yep, ahhhh well if it doesn't work I'll just do it again, yea, fine, no prob."

    A star player not being utilized properly in the offense for the sake of an ideology, and "system"; yet he's somehow wrong to be upset...because...I dunno...he's either not meeting some contrived standard that's been set only in the minds of a small faction of people, or because the media keeps saying "let's talk about Carmelo?" So you get people ranting about his FG% without the slightest idea of what's causing the drop in FG% other than "his shots aren't falling, and I can't believe he's not buying in"

    Like it or not, you gotta build your team around your stars. When you acquire a star, there's a reason why it's called a "franchise changing move." Hell, the best coaches just switch it up on the fly to accommodate the talent they have, like Greg Popovich. Spurs went from a defensive stalwart, to an up tempo, 3-point shooting, juggernaut last year.

    Rosters cultivate your team's philosophy, and identity. You might have your own beliefs, and want to run a different kind of system, but if you don't have the players for it, you have to work with what you have -- even if that means changing your MO for the time being.

    Melo is one of, if not the most important component on the roster, once you have him, love it or not, you gotta work with what you have -- not despite what you have.

    MDA has his MO, philosophy, and team identity set before he even has his roster. That's ass backwards.
    +1,000,000 rep

  13. #28
    Member TheChosen1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    363
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Shouldnt it have always been this way? Why get Superstars and not focus the offense around them? Doesn't make sense. Im not going to get carried away until a few more games under Woodson. But he has been saying all the right things and his approach is so much more different than Dantoni. When it comes down to it. If our Stars are happy then our team plays better and we WIN games. Period.

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    BUT, wasn't Melo playing PG before he got hurt? So he was the focus of the offensive/running the offensive, right? And how did that turn out? So are we saying that he's been unhappy ever since he got here? Hmm... Could this whole thing just be a case of the post-purchase rationalization?

  15. #30
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by red32
    BUT, wasn't Melo playing PG before he got hurt? So he was the focus of the offensive/running the offensive, right? And how did that turn out? So are we saying that he's been unhappy ever since he got here? Hmm... Could this whole thing just be a case of the post-purchase rationalization?
    These are the posts I'm talking about...what's going on around here?

    Melo was asked to play point forward...but he's not a point forward. Then when Lin emerged and he got back, he was asked to space the court by hanging out on the perimeter, near the 3-point line, and be ready to catch and shoot.

    Not one off-ball screen was set for him, he had no plays called for him in the post. When he got the ball, Isoed, and observed the floor as he likes to do...no one was moving, because it wasn't the play call, the play is for him to catch and shoot. He stood there looking at everyone, and everyone stood there looking at him, at that point in time they're expecting to either walk or run back up the court off of a made basket or transition D.

    MDA looked at this, and said "shoot the ball, come on, lets go lets go lets go lets go" as opposed to "maybe I should work some scripted isolations into the game plan for Melo."

    Post-purchase rationalization assumes that we've never seen Melo at Syracuse, Denver, or with Team USA, and we can't identify the strengths and weaknesses of his game.

    Ask yourself this: maybe some people were constantly rationalizing his being misused in this offense.

    I'm cool with those who question his effort, defensive awareness (these silly fouls have to stop), and I guess you can throw body language in there...I dunno how much his teammates are saying "god damn...Melo is sagging his shoulders dawg..." but I guess it's a bad look to have in front of fans.

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Woodson Head Coach thread
    By MeloforMayor in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: Mar 30, 2012, 16:20
  2. Why Mike D'Antoni needs to be fired
    By Paul1355 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan 21, 2012, 17:07
  3. D'Antoni: Mike Woodson Not A Defensive Coach!
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 15, 2011, 10:40
  4. Mike Woodson to be named defensive assistant
    By Paul1355 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2011, 15:54
  5. This Is Why We Need A New Coach.
    By Red in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2011, 07:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •