Should the NYKnicks trade Jeremy Lin?

Are we rooting for the Knicks or are we rooting for Lin?

These threads reek poison and false entitlement. Lin is still learning, he has a team filled with talent that will make him look even better. Put him on a team with half the talent and you'll see a hugh difference. Lin can and should get better, but as of now... he still needs to work on his fundamentals like dribbling and awareness.

He may be better than some PG's but there are plenty of PG's in this league that are better and have displayed winning streaks without all the insanity tag attached to their game. All this hype looks like a bunch of favoritism and/or certain people just not being used to having an above average player repting their circle of life.

Lin will be fine and he plays well within the team. If he is enjoying his time, and if he isn't complaining about his position.... why should anyone else? hmmmm.....

lookgrabpull

Benchwarmer
Such a stupid article. Offering to trade Lin, a 600k PG, for players like Bosh, a nearly Max deal PF is nothing but ridiculous. If any of those offered deals were to happen, it would include other players and then the pros and cons would obviously be totally different. Plus Lin brings in international exposure, is young and promising, and would require a very good PG to come to the knicks if he leaves.

Again, useless speculations that mean nothing at this point in the season.

TakMan

Rotation player
Such a stupid article. Offering to trade Lin, a 600k PG, for players like Bosh, a nearly Max deal PF is nothing but ridiculous. If any of those offered deals were to happen, it would include other players and then the pros and cons would obviously be totally different. Plus Lin brings in international exposure, is young and promising, and would require a very good PG to come to the knicks if he leaves.

Again, useless speculations that mean nothing at this point in the season.

Who said Lin will agree to play for the Knicks on 600k next year? I seriously doubt he'd accept this. As for the exposure he's bringing; all I've witnessed from this, is an increase of incredibly unknowledgeable fans who will only root for Lin and have no understanding of even the most fundamental aspects of basketball. The only purpose they serve is that of basketball's dumbing down, and giving Lin an excuse to demand much more money than he's worth in the Basketball market.

Last edited:

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
he's a restricted free agent. most he can make is around 5 mill next year. NOBODY CAN OFFER HIM MORE THAN THAT. SO HE CAN'T DEMAND MORE MONEY. He is a 600k Pg right now because that's what he gets paid.

plain and simple. Lin is a decent PG at the MLE price range with good upside and worth the gamble. that's why a lot of teams would want him.

NO GM WILL CONSIDER ALL THE OUTSIDE FACTORS. WHY? BECAUSE IF HE IS A SCRUB NOBODY WILL WATCH HIM. NOT EVEN PEOPLE FROM CHINA, TAIWAN, AND ALL THOSE OTHER ASIAN COUNTRIES. SIMPLE AS THAT.

regardless of what market he has. he still needs to produce in the game. nobody will watch him score 2 pts and 1 reb with 6 turnovers.

but he is good trade bait but I highly doubt he will be traded because this team needs 1-2 years of playing together. Unless of course they totally suck and go 20-50 or something like that.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
Who said Lin will agree to play for the Knicks on 600k next year? I seriously doubt he'd accept this. As for the exposure he's bringing; all I've witnessed from this, is an increase of incredibly unknowledgeable fans who will only root for Lin and have no understanding of even the most fundamental aspects of basketball. The only purpose they serve is that of basketball's dumbing down, and giving Lin an excuse to demand much more money than he's worth in the Basketball market.

Partially true. I admit that there are many incredibly unknowledgeable fans who will only root for Lin and have no understanding of even the most fundamental aspects of basketball.

But based on my observation, he was given positive remarks from many basketball experts in the beginning.

Anyway, I see your point.

MetalDemon

Benchwarmer
It's kinda silly to think about trade scenarios right now, after the play offs is when he is going to get assigned any kind of solid value. For now, even if we could trade him I wouldn't even consider any of thous above mentioned trades... after the play offs I MIGHT consider any of them.
Right now I'd be starting Lin and playing him 50/50 with BD.

nyk_nyk

All Star

These threads reek poison and false entitlement. Lin is still learning, he has a team filled with talent that will make him look even better. Put him on a team with half the talent and you'll see a hugh difference. Lin can and should get better, but as of now... he still needs to work on his fundamentals like dribbling and awareness.

He may be better than some PG's but there are plenty of PG's in this league that are better and have displayed winning streaks without all the insanity tag attached to their game. All this hype looks like a bunch of favoritism and/or certain people just not being used to having an above average player repting their circle of life.

Lin will be fine and he plays well within the team. If he is enjoying his time, and if he isn't complaining about his position.... why should anyone else? hmmmm.....

THIS!

RIGHT!

HERE!

smokes

Huge Member

It's an article that poses a hypothetical question about who Lin might be worth trading for there's nothing poisonous about it...

Any kind of surge in performance garners similar interest there are a few reasons Lin's went above and beyond the norm:

- It's New York
- The Knicks were appalling
- He's Asian
- The performances were VERY good

Linsanity was fun while it lasted and I'm glad it ended when it did so Lin could refocus on just playing ball and gelling with the team.

But really there's nothing to criticize here, hell in Milwaukee they're calling it "Ersanity" ;)

kinein

Benchwarmer

Irrelevant post - Lin can't make more than 5million. "purported knowledgeable basketball fans don't seem to pay attention to the new CBA and limitations of the CBA to people finishing up their 2nd year - 1st contract"

"He can't demand more money" - he potentially can earn 5$ million max.

Your "commentary demanding much more money that he's worth in the basketball market" could only apply to Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire.
* Note - I'm using this as an obvious example because of how much they are being paid. I'm happy with the effort, hustle, intensity, rebounding and defensive - improvements from both players. This is not a knock toward those two. I am just setting the record straight with Takman's statement.

and giving Lin an excuse to demand much more money than he's worth in the Basketball market.

contrasted with his other statement - same post -

all I've witnessed from this, is an increase of incredibly unknowledgeable fans who will only root for Lin and have no understanding of even the most fundamental aspects of basketball.

I question being able to make those 2 statements in the SAME post - while completely ignoring the new CBA. A knowledgeable basketball fan that understands basketball and the business would take the CBA #1 as the starting point in discussing market value. #2 Using their "knowledge" they would state that there is a ceiling - the 5million $ MLE. #3 There would not even be a start to discussing "demands for much more money than he is worth"

Last edited:

Benchwarmer
I've stopped reading most of the articles about Lin via the internet. Most of these websites only want the traffic. And, most of the articles are pure speculation. But, so are the sports news channels, I guess.

Number3

Benchwarmer
id keep Lin or only person i would trade for is a healthy Rubio.. wouldnt want a shoot first PG ... thats why we got Melo and Stat to distribute so they make the points...

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Somehow I think Lin will be making a lot of money during this off-season from endorsement alone. He will be a very rich young man regardless of where he plays as long as it's in the NBA.

Personally I don't think he has any loyalty to the Knicks yet. His favorite team growing up was the Warriors. Yeah, I would trade him for the right piece. I am not sure Dolan would pull the trigger though. Lin makes Knicks a more recognizable name in Asia.

Did someone post about Knicks being one of the most profitable NBA teams before Linsanity? I don't doubt it. I can also tell you that nobody would turn away opportunities to make more money. Why would Dolan want to part with Lin when he stands to make so much more money?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The problem with trading for a PG who's better NOW is that the chances of us affording that player in the near future is significantly lower than affording Lin. I'd take my chances on the potential of Lin being a perennial All-Star and keeping him.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
No.

Why fix something that isnt broke? We are playing well again and Lin has the potential to become an All-Star in my opinion. Lets develop some talent for a change rather than buying it. Its cheaper for a start!

Paul1355

All Star
I thought this was a good article that deserves its own thread.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2012/03/16/should-the-knicks-trade-jeremy-lin/

After you're done reading, check out the movie Moneyball (2011).

-----begin article-----

Let?s play a game: Should the Knicks trade Jeremy Lin? And if they did, what could they get?

Three days ago, that seemed like the world?s most preposterous question. Now, with Mike D?Antoni gone, and his replacement Mike Woodson already talking about replacing Lin in the starting lineup and building his offense around Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire, it?s far from far-fetched. Of course, the NBA trade deadline just passed, so no deal could happen until the off-season.

Excuse me while I go put on my Nomex blazer. I got a lot of angry, but polite and thoughtful, feedback from irate Lin fans when I suggested that D?Antoni?s departure could spell bad news for Lin. So let me ask politely: don?t kill the messenger. Let?s take this thought experiment on its own terms and actually make a reasonable attempt at determining Lin?s trade value.

If you?ve got your own trade proposal, please add it to the comments below. If you think the mere thought of trading Lin is too ridiculous to even contemplate (0r even if you think it?s an awesome idea,) click on this poll.

So what is Lin worth? Let?s head straight to the stats. My friend John Hollinger creates NBA analytic stats and the most useful tool for this kind of comparison is Player Efficiency Rating. It tallies a player?s positive accomplishments such as field goals, free throws, 3-pointers, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals, as well negative ones such as missed shots, turnovers and personal fouls. It?s expressed on a per minute basis and adjusted for a team?s scoring pace, so that a player on a low-scoring team isn?t penalized. The league average is 15.

PER is a solid stat that does a good job of equating the contributions of players at different positions. According to PER, the top six players in the NBA are LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Manu Ginobili and Dwight Howard.

What does PER say about Lin?

* His PER is 20.37, which ranks him 34th overall in the NBA.

* The five players just ahead of him are Tim Duncan, Marcin Gornat, DeMarcus Cousins, Kevin Garnett, and Josh Smith.

* The five players just behind him are Pau Gasol, Andrea Bargnani, Ersan Ilyasova, David Lee and Drew Gooden.

*Lin is the highest ranking Knick, ahead of Tyson Chandler (50th), Carmelo Anthony (55th), Steve Novak (60th) and Amare Stoudemire (85th.)

*Lin ranks 10th among point guards, just behind Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving, and Lou Williams and ahead of Rodney Stuckey, Kyle Lowry, John Wall, and Brandon Jennings. Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook are the top three point guards according to PER.

Of course, Lin is a special case. He?s got a much smaller body of work than most of these players. You can look upon that as a positive?he can only improve. Or a negative?it?s just a small sample and teams will make defensive adjustments.

Lin is also a very attractive player from a salary cap point of view. He?s making around $613,000 this year, pro-rated for the shortened season. At the end of the season, he becomes a restricted free agent which means that the Knicks could secure him to a contract of $5 million (the team?s mid-level exception) or less before any potential trade. Lin also has a unique marketing appeal both in the U.S and internationally that increases his appeal.

Let?s look at some recent comps of actual trades. Golden State guard Monta Ellis, who ranks below Lin in PER Lin at 49th, was traded at the deadline for oft-injured center Andrew Bogut. On the low end, Cleveland?s young point guard, Ramon Sessions brought Laker veteran Derek Fisher.

Here are eight players who have either been on the block recently or otherwise provide an interesting trade pairing for Lin. I did not attempt to match salaries, which would need to be done under the NBA salary cap rules.

Would you trade Jeremy Lin for any of these eight players?

Rajon Rondo, Celtics (17.85 PER, 67th) The 26-year old Rondo was the subject of swirling trade rumors this week, the most notable being a deal for Pau Gasol.

Pau Gasol, Lakers: (20.18 PER, 35th) One of the keys to the Lakers championship teams, Gasol is skilled and versatile, but he?s also aging and expensive, which may be why he wasn?t dealt.

Andrew Bynum, Lakers: (22.29 PER, 14th) The Lakers were reluctant to trade Bynum, a favorite of owner Jerry Buss, in a deal for Dwight Howard. Bynum is young and has great potential, but is also injury prone.

Josh Smith, Hawks: (20.38 PER, 33rd) The eight-year veteran is reportedly disgruntled at the Hawks? lack of progress toward real championship contention, and there were conflicting rumors about whether he demanded a trade

Chris Bosh, Heat: (18.65 PER, 58th) If the Heat fail to win the championship, they might be inclined to move 33.3% of their Big Three. One rumor had the high-paid Bosh going to Houston for Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry.

Stephen Curry: Golden State: (PER 21.52, 23rd) The Knicks coveted the sharp shooting Curry in the 2009 draft, and his name was mentioned in connection with a Rajon Rondo deal that didn?t get much traction.

Brandon Jennings: Milwaukee: (PER 18.84, 58th) With Monta Ellis now in Milwaukee, the Bucks might consider dealing Jennings, a shoot-first point guard very similar to Curry, Ellis? backcourt mate with the Warriors. The Knicks passed on Jennings in that 2009 draft.

Ricky Rubio, Timberwolves: (14.86 PER, 134th) Possibly the closest comp to Lin when off-court factors are considered, Rubio has a huge following in Spain, and has shown flashes of brilliance in his brief NBA career. A torn ACL ended his season prematurely, although he is expected to recover fully.

If you were the Knicks GM, what would teams have to give you to get Lin? Share your trade scenarios below.

-----end article-----
dumb idea dude...are u the same kind of person that thought about trading Rondo?

Remember how we were without Lin? Absolutely terrible.

We need legit point guards.

Eventhough trading Lin would be good because we would get value, he is still very young...wants to be here...HAS ICE IN HIS VAINS WHICH RARE AND PERFECT FOR NY...and he won't cost as much as he is actually worth.

He will most likely sign here for the mid levell exception at 5 mil a year when he will be worth more than that in a year or two so we can get a steal of a deal.

We need Lin.

smokes

Huge Member
I would trade Lin for Steph Curry in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

I hope that's a joke!

The only PG's in the league I'd say are even in the conversation would be Rubio and Lowry.

Rubio would be ok but his injury history is worrying, at least he has a small contract.

Lowry would cost us more but is way more reliable and consistent.

Either way we won't trade Lin it's a moot point.