Lin's ranks among PGs right now:

Efficiency: 19th

Points per game: 15th

Assists per game: 15th

FG%: 14th

3-PT%: 46th

Steals: 9th

Turnovers: 5th highest among active PGs

Assist to turnover ratio is 59th among all PGs in the league.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/playerstats/12/2/eff/1-1

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/p...er-game/qualified/false/position/point-guards

I'm not saying that the use of the word "marginal" is exactly fair, because Lin obviously has game, has a good basketball IQ, and is athletic. So there's no reason to think that he can't get better, and as much of a blowhard that SAS is..he never says that Lin can't or won't get better.

But saying that if you compare his stats to the "top ten" PGs and that they'll stack up, when he's only in the top 10 in one statistical category that's important for a PG....what point are you making?

When Brandon Jennings has a higher EFF than you, you have some work to do.

Those numbers you are throwing up comprise of the entire season before he started. If you take his numbers on the games started, it's a completely different story.

metrocard

Legend
Anyone who makes a thread on Steven Smith loses credibility...he's nobody worth listening to...his NBA knowledge is limited and he's just a dramatic personality for entertainment, not knowledge. His insight is limited.

metrocard

Legend
Those numbers you are throwing up comprise of the entire season before he started. If you take his numbers on the games started, it's a completely different story.

I don't know how some people can be Knick fans and look up numbers that don't favor Lin...

it seems like people are more obsessed about their agenda and proving their point correct than actually being fans.

Kinda sad these guys who secretly hate on Lin won't let this go like a bad ex girlfriend.

Kinda trolling at this point.

Bottomline: Lins got this teams a lot of WINS and changed this season around, period. He's only 23, athletic, has skills, and good work ethic. His improvement is inevitable. Be patience and shut the hell up.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Most of the issues SAS has is with people mis-quoting him. For instance, during the show he NEVER said anything bad about Lin or bashed him in any way. All he said was Lin isn't that guy NOW but he will be a pretty good NBA player as he continues to get better.

Regarding blaming Lin for the dismissal of Antoni: He was basically saying that because Antoni chose to make Lin the focal point in the offense, he was forcing his style of play on a group that didn't fit the system. While Lin had success and brought the team into the national spotlight even more, he refused to make more of an effort to include the two guys that the owner owes more than 180 million dollars to over the next 4 years. By "include" I mean not turning them into glorified role players.

Dolan wanted to make things work with Lin, Melo AND Amare. Yes we went on a great win streak without Melo but if you're the owner, you want someone who can make it ALL work and get some results from your investments. Antoni was in love with Lin because it gave him a reason to push for his type of offense but the reality was that even though it looked good at times, it still wasn't the right fit for the entire team. That was his point.

He may shout a lot but if you listen he isn't exactly full of ignorance like some may think. I like when people call and he makes them look stupid by having THEM admit they mis-quoted him.

BrianMan

Benchwarmer
Fundamentals. Once you learn that, the rest (upper levels) is a piece of cake. Screamin' A. Smith fit the profile......as someone who has been bullied/wronged/cheated in the past (perhaps during his youth). How he talks and respond, and how readily and quickly he put up his guards. Those are obvious signs.

Psychology. Fun and interesting class. Easy Mickey-Mouse class for student-athletes to pass. GPA booster for the rest of college population.

So, you took one class, and now you are a professional at profiling?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Anyone who makes a thread on Steven Smith loses credibility...he's nobody worth listening to...his NBA knowledge is limited and he's just a dramatic personality for entertainment, not knowledge. His insight is limited.

I can tell right there you don't even know his history. You may not agree with what he says or like the fact that he's loud but those comments are waaay off point. Dude has been covering the NBA for a long time man.

Its funny how you say he's nobody worth listening to but whomever YOU listen to will still share their own opinion, correct?

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
To say that his NBA knowledge is limited is a complete BS. And i dont even like the guy. If you hate the guy is one thing, but in this case your opinion about him loses credibility.

While it's true he never said anything directly bad about Lin, he does imply that Lin is a source of the problems. While he is quick to praise melo and reluctant to say anything bad about melo.

And the fact that he gets misquoted a lot should say something about the way he tries to get his point across.
anyway, nobody should take the guy seriously. He is no JVG when it comes to analyzing and commenting on a situation.

onex0is0

Benchwarmer
So, you took one class, and now you are a professional at profiling?

Sounds like you got a hard on for SAS. Good for you.

Did I say I was a professional? I used to watch a lot of SAS (embarrass to admit). He fits the patterns of someone who was abused or hurt. Some of his behavior/actions reminds me of some case studies I read in psych. and bio textbooks.

SAS fits the patterns. That's it. I'm putting one and one together...just like every student who took psych. and passsed. Am I right? Who knows or even cares. I'm stating my opinion from my readings.

Are you butt hurt that I made fun of your boy, Screamin' A. Smith?

GOOD! I'm glad. :thumbsup: No love for SAS here.

munco

Benchwarmer
To say that his NBA knowledge is limited is a complete BS. And i dont even like the guy. If you hate the guy is one thing, but in this case your opinion about him loses credibility.

If you see my post on the earlier page, I'm not a fan of Stephen A. Smith at all, but with that said what makes you say he's anymore knowledgeable about the NBA than even some hardcore fans.

I admit it's hard to get past how obnoxious the guy is, but I honestly do not believe he really shows any expertise or top level analysis at this point. If you have some great examples I'd be open to reading them. Guys like Hubie Brown have forgotten more knowledge than Stephen A will ever have.

I might be a hater, but why does ESPN write his checks? It's not for his thought provoking analysis. He's a character and more a "personality" at this point. Unfortunately people like me still tune to see what absurd crap comes out his mouth too.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
If you see my post on the earlier page, I'm not a fan of Stephen A. Smith at all, but with that said what makes you say he's anymore knowledgeable about the NBA than even some hardcore fans.

I admit it's hard to get past how obnoxious the guy is, but I honestly do not believe he really shows any expertise or top level analysis at this point. If you have some great examples I'd be open to reading them. Guys like Hubie Brown have forgotten more knowledge than Stephen A will ever have.

I might be a hater, but why does ESPN write his checks? It's not for his thought provoking analysis. He's a character and more a "personality" at this point. Unfortunately people like me still tune to see what absurd crap comes out his mouth too.
Did i say he is more knowledgeable than anyone? Reread my post.
I simply disagree with such a statement as "his NBA knowledge is limited".
I am not familiar with your posts, but i think Metrocard understands Bball as well as anyone here, but if you two are SAS haters, then your opinion about him can not be objective.

Steve A Smith is good at what he does...if he wasn't this thread wouldn't be here. He has enough knowledge to keep him in the position he's in now. He's good for sports talk shows because he always grabs people attention (if they like him or not). His job is to give his opinion, it's funny seeing others get mad at him because their opinions doesn't match his. Maybe the hate comes from Steven getting paid to state his while others don't.

I don't agree with everything he says (or any TV figure head for that matter), but I do respect his fire and underappreciated wit and passion for sports.

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Steve A Smith is good at what he does...if he wasn't this thread wouldn't be here. He has enough knowledge to keep him in the position he's in now. He's good for sports talk shows because he always grabs people attention (if they like him or not). His job is to give his opinion, it's funny seeing others get mad at him because their opinions doesn't match his. Maybe the hate comes from Steven getting paid to state his while others don't.

I don't agree with everything he says (or any TV figure head for that matter), but I do respect his fire and underappreciated wit and passion for sports.

Bias and a bag full of agendas are not wit and passion.
He's a fake.

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
SAS don't even know what "marginal" mean. Maybe i'll help this dude.

mar?gin?al

 /ˈmɑrdʒənl/ Show Spelled[mahr-juh-nl] Show IPA
adjective 1. pertaining to a margin.

2. situated on the border or edge.

3. at the outer or lower limits; minimal for requirements; almost insufficient: marginal subsistence; marginal ability.

4. written or printed in the margin of a page: a marginal note.

5. Sociology . marked by contact with disparate cultures, and acquiring some but not all the traits or values common to any one of them.

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Seriously.
Lin's numbers the past 2 games POST D'antoni.

19 points
10 assists
1 steal
3 rebounds
2 TO

18 points
6 assists
7 rebounds
1 steals
2 TO

How the FOCK is this "marginal"?
How the FOCK is this "borderline in NBA standard"?

Idk Linvincible,

I think people (including Steven) are just getting too wrapped up in their opinions. I think it's foolish for anyone to think they can accurately judge Lin at this moment in his carrear...giving the many circumstances.

Pretending to see something that hasn't really revealed itself yet (or fully) defines fake. We should let time do all the exposing...