Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 75

Thread: Stephen A. Smith on ESPN radio Now!

  1. #46
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Most of the issues SAS has is with people mis-quoting him. For instance, during the show he NEVER said anything bad about Lin or bashed him in any way. All he said was Lin isn't that guy NOW but he will be a pretty good NBA player as he continues to get better.

    Regarding blaming Lin for the dismissal of Antoni: He was basically saying that because Antoni chose to make Lin the focal point in the offense, he was forcing his style of play on a group that didn't fit the system. While Lin had success and brought the team into the national spotlight even more, he refused to make more of an effort to include the two guys that the owner owes more than 180 million dollars to over the next 4 years. By "include" I mean not turning them into glorified role players.

    Dolan wanted to make things work with Lin, Melo AND Amare. Yes we went on a great win streak without Melo but if you're the owner, you want someone who can make it ALL work and get some results from your investments. Antoni was in love with Lin because it gave him a reason to push for his type of offense but the reality was that even though it looked good at times, it still wasn't the right fit for the entire team. That was his point.

    He may shout a lot but if you listen he isn't exactly full of ignorance like some may think. I like when people call and he makes them look stupid by having THEM admit they mis-quoted him.

  2. #47
    Member BrianMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by onex0is0
    Fundamentals. Once you learn that, the rest (upper levels) is a piece of cake. Screamin' A. Smith fit the profile......as someone who has been bullied/wronged/cheated in the past (perhaps during his youth). How he talks and respond, and how readily and quickly he put up his guards. Those are obvious signs.

    Psychology. Fun and interesting class. Easy Mickey-Mouse class for student-athletes to pass. GPA booster for the rest of college population.
    So, you took one class, and now you are a professional at profiling?

  3. #48
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    Anyone who makes a thread on Steven Smith loses credibility...he's nobody worth listening to...his NBA knowledge is limited and he's just a dramatic personality for entertainment, not knowledge. His insight is limited.
    I can tell right there you don't even know his history. You may not agree with what he says or like the fact that he's loud but those comments are waaay off point. Dude has been covering the NBA for a long time man.

    Its funny how you say he's nobody worth listening to but whomever YOU listen to will still share their own opinion, correct?

  4. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    Anyone who makes a thread on Steven Smith loses credibility...he's nobody worth listening to...his NBA knowledge is limited and he's just a dramatic personality for entertainment, not knowledge. His insight is limited.
    To say that his NBA knowledge is limited is a complete BS. And i dont even like the guy. If you hate the guy is one thing, but in this case your opinion about him loses credibility.

  5. #50
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    While it's true he never said anything directly bad about Lin, he does imply that Lin is a source of the problems. While he is quick to praise melo and reluctant to say anything bad about melo.

    And the fact that he gets misquoted a lot should say something about the way he tries to get his point across.
    anyway, nobody should take the guy seriously. He is no JVG when it comes to analyzing and commenting on a situation.

  6. #51
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Stephen a situation is limited. he doesn't know anything besides basic knowledge. his analysis isn't deep.

  7. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by BrianMan
    So, you took one class, and now you are a professional at profiling?
    Sounds like you got a hard on for SAS. Good for you.

    Did I say I was a professional? I used to watch a lot of SAS (embarrass to admit). He fits the patterns of someone who was abused or hurt. Some of his behavior/actions reminds me of some case studies I read in psych. and bio textbooks.

    SAS fits the patterns. That's it. I'm putting one and one together...just like every student who took psych. and passsed. Am I right? Who knows or even cares. I'm stating my opinion from my readings.

    Are you butt hurt that I made fun of your boy, Screamin' A. Smith?

    GOOD! I'm glad. No love for SAS here.

  8. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by groundpilot
    To say that his NBA knowledge is limited is a complete BS. And i dont even like the guy. If you hate the guy is one thing, but in this case your opinion about him loses credibility.
    If you see my post on the earlier page, I'm not a fan of Stephen A. Smith at all, but with that said what makes you say he's anymore knowledgeable about the NBA than even some hardcore fans.

    I admit it's hard to get past how obnoxious the guy is, but I honestly do not believe he really shows any expertise or top level analysis at this point. If you have some great examples I'd be open to reading them. Guys like Hubie Brown have forgotten more knowledge than Stephen A will ever have.

    I might be a hater, but why does ESPN write his checks? It's not for his thought provoking analysis. He's a character and more a "personality" at this point. Unfortunately people like me still tune to see what absurd crap comes out his mouth too.

  9. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by munco
    If you see my post on the earlier page, I'm not a fan of Stephen A. Smith at all, but with that said what makes you say he's anymore knowledgeable about the NBA than even some hardcore fans.

    I admit it's hard to get past how obnoxious the guy is, but I honestly do not believe he really shows any expertise or top level analysis at this point. If you have some great examples I'd be open to reading them. Guys like Hubie Brown have forgotten more knowledge than Stephen A will ever have.

    I might be a hater, but why does ESPN write his checks? It's not for his thought provoking analysis. He's a character and more a "personality" at this point. Unfortunately people like me still tune to see what absurd crap comes out his mouth too.
    Did i say he is more knowledgeable than anyone? Reread my post.
    I simply disagree with such a statement as "his NBA knowledge is limited".
    I am not familiar with your posts, but i think Metrocard understands Bball as well as anyone here, but if you two are SAS haters, then your opinion about him can not be objective.

  10. #55
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,271
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Steve A Smith is good at what he does...if he wasn't this thread wouldn't be here. He has enough knowledge to keep him in the position he's in now. He's good for sports talk shows because he always grabs people attention (if they like him or not). His job is to give his opinion, it's funny seeing others get mad at him because their opinions doesn't match his. Maybe the hate comes from Steven getting paid to state his while others don't.

    I don't agree with everything he says (or any TV figure head for that matter), but I do respect his fire and underappreciated wit and passion for sports.

  11. #56
    Member LINvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    Steve A Smith is good at what he does...if he wasn't this thread wouldn't be here. He has enough knowledge to keep him in the position he's in now. He's good for sports talk shows because he always grabs people attention (if they like him or not). His job is to give his opinion, it's funny seeing others get mad at him because their opinions doesn't match his. Maybe the hate comes from Steven getting paid to state his while others don't.

    I don't agree with everything he says (or any TV figure head for that matter), but I do respect his fire and underappreciated wit and passion for sports.
    Bias and a bag full of agendas are not wit and passion.
    He's a fake.

  12. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Like him or hate him, one thing is undeniable---- he is very entertaining and that is how he got his own radio show.

  13. #58
    Member LINvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    SAS don't even know what "marginal" mean. Maybe i'll help this dude.

    mar·gin·al

     /ˈmɑrdʒənl/ Show Spelled[mahr-juh-nl] Show IPA
    adjective 1. pertaining to a margin.

    2. situated on the border or edge.

    3. at the outer or lower limits; minimal for requirements; almost insufficient: marginal subsistence; marginal ability.

    4. written or printed in the margin of a page: a marginal note.

    5. Sociology . marked by contact with disparate cultures, and acquiring some but not all the traits or values common to any one of them.

  14. #59
    Member LINvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Seriously.
    Lin's numbers the past 2 games POST D'antoni.

    19 points
    10 assists
    1 steal
    3 rebounds
    2 TO

    18 points
    6 assists
    7 rebounds
    1 steals
    2 TO

    How the FOCK is this "marginal"?
    How the FOCK is this "borderline in NBA standard"?

  15. #60
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,271
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Idk Linvincible,

    I think people (including Steven) are just getting too wrapped up in their opinions. I think it's foolish for anyone to think they can accurately judge Lin at this moment in his carrear...giving the many circumstances.

    Pretending to see something that hasn't really revealed itself yet (or fully) defines fake. We should let time do all the exposing...

Similar Threads

  1. Futbol*appreciation*thread
    By KING~POETIQ in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 395
    Last Post: Jan 31, 2014, 17:40
  2. Knicks Haters - Stephen A Smith Got words for you
    By Oakman88 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 22, 2011, 12:28
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: Sep 13, 2010, 15:29
  4. Stephen A Smith: Mello wants to go to NY.
    By KnicksWillRiseAgain in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2010, 13:09
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Feb 19, 2009, 14:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •