Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the offense not focus on Melo this year?

I think he's trying to please people too much, in Denver you can just play, no worries, you dont have to worry about the newspaper saying you suck after a bad night, so Melo tries to make sure he makes every shot.

He's trying to hard........also Lin is looking him off I dont care what anyone says

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    The Knicks will not be as successful as they possibly can with Carmelo struggling, I still thinks he needs a few more touches and iso plays ran specifically for to get him going early.

And yes Lin is still not doing a great job of finding Melo, but his struggles aren't Lins fault his timing and rhythm are really off at an all time low right now. I think at some point when the team has a big lead or something that have to force feed him the ball and let him just go 1 on 5 for a few plays so he can get going or something.
    OT to this thread, but Lin has been having trouble getting the ball to a lot of people lately

he's developed a tendency to kill a lot of clock while dribbling the ball outside the arc because he's looking to pass to someone inside the arc but doesn't see the passing lane or angle to do it.

his most effective passing is when he can drive in and then get the ball to an open man, but if he's not doing then his passing in a half court set isn't that great

Originally Posted by CA7
    He's trying to hard........also Lin is looking him off I dont care what anyone says
    As I've stated in this very thread, Melo needs to become the number one option on offense for this team to succeed.

However, I don't see how Lin is stopping Melo from getting his just like I don't see how Melo's presence has stymied Lin's development.

Originally Posted by udgnim
    OT to this thread, but Lin has been having trouble getting the ball to a lot of people lately

he's developed a tendency to kill a lot of clock while dribbling the ball outside the arc because he's looking to pass to someone inside the arc but doesn't see the passing lane or angle to do it.

his most effective passing is when he can drive in and then get the ball to an open man, but if he's not doing then his passing in a half court set isn't that great
    I think one of the problems Lin has is that he rarely sees outside the painted area, even when he's looking to pass. I saw a few cases of Carmelo / Novak / JR standing outside the paint for a mid-range jumper or a 3pointer completely open, waiting for the pass, while Lin tries to thread a needle pass between 3 bigs to chandler in the paint.

I haven't seen him drive and kick. If he could do this, the Toronto game would have been much easier to handle (they were playing zone).

It might be because he really hasn't played that long with this team, and he's learning while playing, with the whole world watching, but still...

The defense collapses on Lin every time he blows by his man - so he should pass out of the paint. 2 open jumpers from mid-long range for Carmelo is all he needs to get his confidence back. If I were Woodson I'd practice that any time I get a chance until Lin is able to do this with his eyes closed.

The problem is Melo's mid range game for whatever reason is not there. He had the best mid range jumper for years and when he hits that it opens driving to the hoop for him. Not sure what's up but he's been way off.

Originally Posted by lookgrabpull
    I think one of the problems Lin has is that he rarely sees outside the painted area, even when he's looking to pass. I saw a few cases of Carmelo / Novak / JR standing outside the paint for a mid-range jumper or a 3pointer completely open, waiting for the pass, while Lin tries to thread a needle pass between 3 bigs to chandler in the paint.

I haven't seen him drive and kick. If he could do this, the Toronto game would have been much easier to handle (they were playing zone).

It might be because he really hasn't played that long with this team, and he's learning while playing, with the whole world watching, but still...

The defense collapses on Lin every time he blows by his man - so he should pass out of the paint. 2 open jumpers from mid-long range for Carmelo is all he needs to get his confidence back. If I were Woodson I'd practice that any time I get a chance until Lin is able to do this with his eyes closed.
    Actually I saw Baron doing the same things, I even commented on the game thread on BD missing a WIDE open Novak in the corner. My guess is that this is a coaching strategy- they are trying to get the ball inside as a first option and establish an offense flowing from inside to outside.

Originally Posted by CA7
    I think he's trying to please people too much, in Denver you can just play, no worries, you dont have to worry about the newspaper saying you suck after a bad night, so Melo tries to make sure he makes every shot.

Yup and Landry Fields NEVER gives him the ball.

Superstar

Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    As I've stated in this very thread, Melo needs to become the number one option on offense for this team to succeed.

However, I don't see how Lin is stopping Melo from getting his just like I don't see how Melo's presence has stymied Lin's development.
    I do, LIN dribbles way to much, and holds the ball way to long, when they trap him in the PNR, he just holds the ball, instead of making the quick pass, to catch the defense scrambling.Most of the time, he'll get way to deep in the paint, jump in the air with no idea what to do, or dribble away most of the shot clock, and pass it to melo, hopping to get bailed out.All of these thing are what you don't want from your PG.I have nothing against LIN, but he doesn't make anyone better, and that's what good PG's do.Just my .

Originally Posted by fender0577
    I do, LIN dribbles way to much, and holds the ball way to long, when they trap him in the PNR, he just holds the ball, instead of making the quick pass, to catch the defense scrambling.Most of the time, he'll get way to deep in the paint, jump in the air with no idea what to do, or dribble away most of the shot clock, and pass it to melo, hopping to get bailed out.All of these thing are what you don't want from your PG.I have nothing against LIN, but he doesn't make anyone better, and that's what good PG's do.Just my .
    Well he makes Tyson Chandler better...

Superstar

Originally Posted by BIG APPLE SPORTS
    Well he makes Tyson Chandler better...
    That's about it, but he's going to get TC killed, on 1 of those lobs, LOL.

Originally Posted by VeryGundy

As a fellow point guard I've been in this situation where I have a struggling teammate that I go out of my way to get him some easy buckets. lay ups and dunks in particular

Lin had Melo and Fields side by side on the break with him and he went to Fields, both options were there but he went to Fields, in that situation to go to Melo just to get him an easy bucket.

Woodson called for a Melo post up, Melo posted up for like 4 seconds and Lin called for him to set a pick Melo set it and then rolled to basket, Lin tried to score but was stopped and then threw the ball at Melo's head

Lin is still learning so expecting him to understand that is a little absurd but since all the idiots feel Melo is the reason we cant play well consistently I have to point how Lin isn't making it easier, as the point guard

Originally Posted by novaman
    Actually I saw Baron doing the same things, I even commented on the game thread on BD missing a WIDE open Novak in the corner. My guess is that this is a coaching strategy- they are trying to get the ball inside as a first option and establish an offense flowing from inside to outside.
    Novak wasn't wide open. He didn't have the angle to make a clean pass on that corner. Pretty sure bd knew he was there. You got to make not obvious where you pass it.

Superstar

Originally Posted by CA7
    As a fellow point guard I've been in this situation where I have a struggling teammate that I go out of my way to get him some easy buckets. lay ups and dunks in particular

Lin had Melo and Fields side by side on the break with him and he went to Fields, both options were there but he went to Fields, in that situation to go to Melo just to get him an easy bucket.

Woodson called for a Melo post up, Melo posted up for like 4 seconds and Lin called for him to set a pick Melo set it and then rolled to basket, Lin tried to score but was stopped and then threw the ball at Melo's head

Lin is still learning so expecting him to understand that is a little absurd but since all the idiots feel Melo is the reason we cant play well consistently I have to point how Lin isn't making it easier, as the point guard
    I second that, i have been in the same situation, as the PG, my job is to get everyone else going, before i look for my shot.Like i said before, i have nothing against LIN, but we won't go far with him, if he doesn't learn to facilitate.With all the talent on this team, he should be the fourth or fifth option.

Let's blame it on every person on the team for Melo's awful shooting. He is not to blame. Let's give him the ball 30 times a game so he can avg his 25ppg for the year. We should make Melo the #1 option and give him 30 shots a game. We can look forward to next year and forget about this. Let Melo be Melo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Den318
    Let's blame it on every person on the team for Melo's awful shooting. He is not to blame. Let's give him the ball 30 times a game so he can avg his 25ppg for the year. We should make Melo the #1 option and give him 30 shots a game. We can look forward to next year and forget about this. Let Melo be Melo!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no the point is instead of Lin driving to the basket shooting off balanced shots he should be hitting Melo for back door passes that lead to lay ups and dunks, on the pick n roll he always forces the pass inside instead of skipping it to the corner well if Fields is there he passes it or Novak