Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can the offense not focus on Melo this year?

Originally Posted by CA7
    no the point is instead of Lin driving to the basket shooting off balanced shots he should be hitting Melo for back door passes that lead to lay ups and dunks, on the pick n roll he always forces the pass inside instead of skipping it to the corner well if Fields is there he passes it or Novak
    I can't help but think that you're mainly analyzing Lin's game in relation to Melo's.

Melo has been getting his plays, as Woodson said in the post game, but just hasn't been delivering with even a shred of consistency. In those opening plays VS Detroit he converted on a couple, but went cold - even from the block where he's most comfortable - including shooting an air ball that Breen and Clyde were miffed by.

Since D'Antoni's departure he's shot 21.7% from behind the arc, too.

This **** needs to get sorted out because, as STAT mentioned after beating the Pistons, the team has set its sights on the Atlantic crown and as favorable a seed as possible.

Lin has had very little to do with Anthony's lack of shots and rhythm.

Whatever the problem - mental, IMO - Melo's tiptoeing the line of media scrutiny again regardless of whether or not he's been doing better defensively/being unselfish. We know how he deals with negativity, and the Knicks can't afford for that to happen.

I remember that air ball , Woodson and melo wanted a foul. He got hit on the arm.

Originally Posted by BananaSauce
    I remember that air ball , Woodson and melo wanted a foul. He got hit on the arm.
    No, he didn't.

Check the video titled 'Strong And-one' with STAT's face as the key photo.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You can also see that Woodson made absolutely no reaction to the miss.

eh, Melo will hopefully get back to being Melo, if not then it was fun when he was a Knick

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Melo is horrible.

That is all.

Lurker

You guys sound like a broken record last week it was Stoudmire, this week it is Melo, who's next Lin?

Breen mentioned it later.

As well, Woodson talking to the ref Touching his elbow showing how melo was fouled.

Originally Posted by CA7
    As a fellow point guard I've been in this situation where I have a struggling teammate that I go out of my way to get him some easy buckets. lay ups and dunks in particular

Lin had Melo and Fields side by side on the break with him and he went to Fields, both options were there but he went to Fields, in that situation to go to Melo just to get him an easy bucket.

Woodson called for a Melo post up, Melo posted up for like 4 seconds and Lin called for him to set a pick Melo set it and then rolled to basket, Lin tried to score but was stopped and then threw the ball at Melo's head

Lin is still learning so expecting him to understand that is a little absurd but since all the idiots feel Melo is the reason we cant play well consistently I have to point how Lin isn't making it easier, as the point guard
    Yes, Lin still has a lot to learn. He often goes too deep into the paint. He telegraphs his passes when he is not focused. You mentioned poor passing into the post and I noticed that too.

Having said that, I don't know if we can put all the blame on Lin for Melo's lack of scoring. As a former PF, I know I need to move with my PG to get into good scoring position. Melo rarely moves without the ball. Woody needs to draw up some plays for Melo to swing around the baseline off a pick and flash into a lowpost position.

It will take time for Lin to figure out where Melo likes to get the ball. It should be a no-brainer for Lin to realize that Melo's success will translate into team success. After all, he did go to Harvard.

Originally Posted by fender0577
    I do, LIN dribbles way to much, and holds the ball way to long, when they trap him in the PNR, he just holds the ball, instead of making the quick pass, to catch the defense scrambling.Most of the time, he'll get way to deep in the paint, jump in the air with no idea what to do, or dribble away most of the shot clock, and pass it to melo, hopping to get bailed out.All of these thing are what you don't want from your PG.I have nothing against LIN, but he doesn't make anyone better, and that's what good PG's do.Just my .
    Yes and no. When your PG has the ball, you need to move with the ball and into a position to catch the pass. Only Chandler and Fields do that.

Lin does have this tendency to dribble too deep into the paint looking for a pass. He shouldn't force the ball inside when the defense is zooming in on his dribble. He has to run more pick and pop. Melo and Stat are both good mid-range shooters.

Lastly, Lin does make the team better.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Melo is horrible.

That is all.

Just like STAT a few weeks ago right?

He's playing horribly on offense but this man is far from an awful player in fact he's really the best player on this team.

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    Just like STAT a few weeks ago right?

He's playing horribly on offense but this man is far from an awful player in fact he's really the best player on this team.

Melo is horrible when he is forcing up contested shots/trying to be the man (which is most of the year). He is playing better now but his shots selection are still awful sometime.

Melo needs to step up now that Stat is out. He needs to play like a 20Mil a year player, not an avg joe.

^ agreed that he needs to step up. his shot selection needs to be much better and he needs to see the basket a lot better. his groin issue is not good either. if he loses some lift because of it it means defenders effect his shot more. the knicks need to keep up good ball movement and get quality looks and make them. and that means guys like fields and shump and lin and davis need to hit at a good clip.

But the offense needs to be melo-centric, especially with STAT out. Look forward to even more iso melo. which may not be a bad thing as that is where melo is more comfortable, especially on the low block... he needs to get to the rim and, more importantly, to the charity stripe.