Can the offense not focus on Melo this year?

novaman

Benchwarmer
I think one of the problems Lin has is that he rarely sees outside the painted area, even when he's looking to pass. I saw a few cases of Carmelo / Novak / JR standing outside the paint for a mid-range jumper or a 3pointer completely open, waiting for the pass, while Lin tries to thread a needle pass between 3 bigs to chandler in the paint.

I haven't seen him drive and kick. If he could do this, the Toronto game would have been much easier to handle (they were playing zone).

It might be because he really hasn't played that long with this team, and he's learning while playing, with the whole world watching, but still...

The defense collapses on Lin every time he blows by his man - so he should pass out of the paint. 2 open jumpers from mid-long range for Carmelo is all he needs to get his confidence back. If I were Woodson I'd practice that any time I get a chance until Lin is able to do this with his eyes closed.

Actually I saw Baron doing the same things, I even commented on the game thread on BD missing a WIDE open Novak in the corner. My guess is that this is a coaching strategy- they are trying to get the ball inside as a first option and establish an offense flowing from inside to outside.

I think he's trying to please people too much, in Denver you can just play, no worries, you dont have to worry about the newspaper saying you suck after a bad night, so Melo tries to make sure he makes every shot.

He's trying to hard........also Lin is looking him off I dont care what anyone says

Yup and Landry Fields NEVER gives him the ball.

fender0577

Rotation player
As I've stated in this very thread, Melo needs to become the number one option on offense for this team to succeed.

However, I don't see how Lin is stopping Melo from getting his just like I don't see how Melo's presence has stymied Lin's development.
I do, LIN dribbles way to much, and holds the ball way to long, when they trap him in the PNR, he just holds the ball, instead of making the quick pass, to catch the defense scrambling.Most of the time, he'll get way to deep in the paint, jump in the air with no idea what to do, or dribble away most of the shot clock, and pass it to melo, hopping to get bailed out.All of these thing are what you don't want from your PG.I have nothing against LIN, but he doesn't make anyone better, and that's what good PG's do.Just my :2cents:.

I do, LIN dribbles way to much, and holds the ball way to long, when they trap him in the PNR, he just holds the ball, instead of making the quick pass, to catch the defense scrambling.Most of the time, he'll get way to deep in the paint, jump in the air with no idea what to do, or dribble away most of the shot clock, and pass it to melo, hopping to get bailed out.All of these thing are what you don't want from your PG.I have nothing against LIN, but he doesn't make anyone better, and that's what good PG's do.Just my :2cents:.

Well he makes Tyson Chandler better...

CA7

Scoring Champ
As I've stated in this very thread, Melo needs to become the number one option on offense for this team to succeed.

However, I don't see how Lin is stopping Melo from getting his just like I don't see how Melo's presence has stymied Lin's development.

As a fellow point guard I've been in this situation where I have a struggling teammate that I go out of my way to get him some easy buckets. lay ups and dunks in particular

Lin had Melo and Fields side by side on the break with him and he went to Fields, both options were there but he went to Fields, in that situation to go to Melo just to get him an easy bucket.

Woodson called for a Melo post up, Melo posted up for like 4 seconds and Lin called for him to set a pick Melo set it and then rolled to basket, Lin tried to score but was stopped and then threw the ball at Melo's head

Lin is still learning so expecting him to understand that is a little absurd but since all the idiots feel Melo is the reason we cant play well consistently I have to point how Lin isn't making it easier, as the point guard

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
Actually I saw Baron doing the same things, I even commented on the game thread on BD missing a WIDE open Novak in the corner. My guess is that this is a coaching strategy- they are trying to get the ball inside as a first option and establish an offense flowing from inside to outside.

:barf:Novak wasn't wide open. He didn't have the angle to make a clean pass on that corner. Pretty sure bd knew he was there. You got to make not obvious where you pass it.

fender0577

Rotation player
As a fellow point guard I've been in this situation where I have a struggling teammate that I go out of my way to get him some easy buckets. lay ups and dunks in particular

Lin had Melo and Fields side by side on the break with him and he went to Fields, both options were there but he went to Fields, in that situation to go to Melo just to get him an easy bucket.

Woodson called for a Melo post up, Melo posted up for like 4 seconds and Lin called for him to set a pick Melo set it and then rolled to basket, Lin tried to score but was stopped and then threw the ball at Melo's head

Lin is still learning so expecting him to understand that is a little absurd but since all the idiots feel Melo is the reason we cant play well consistently I have to point how Lin isn't making it easier, as the point guard
I second that, i have been in the same situation, as the PG, my job is to get everyone else going, before i look for my shot.Like i said before, i have nothing against LIN, but we won't go far with him, if he doesn't learn to facilitate.With all the talent on this team, he should be the fourth or fifth option.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Let's blame it on every person on the team for Melo's awful shooting. He is not to blame. Let's give him the ball 30 times a game so he can avg his 25ppg for the year. We should make Melo the #1 option and give him 30 shots a game. We can look forward to next year and forget about this. Let Melo be Melo!!!!!!!!!!!!

CA7

Scoring Champ
Let's blame it on every person on the team for Melo's awful shooting. He is not to blame. Let's give him the ball 30 times a game so he can avg his 25ppg for the year. We should make Melo the #1 option and give him 30 shots a game. We can look forward to next year and forget about this. Let Melo be Melo!!!!!!!!!!!!

no the point is instead of Lin driving to the basket shooting off balanced shots he should be hitting Melo for back door passes that lead to lay ups and dunks, on the pick n roll he always forces the pass inside instead of skipping it to the corner well if Fields is there he passes it or Novak

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
no the point is instead of Lin driving to the basket shooting off balanced shots he should be hitting Melo for back door passes that lead to lay ups and dunks, on the pick n roll he always forces the pass inside instead of skipping it to the corner well if Fields is there he passes it or Novak

I can't help but think that you're mainly analyzing Lin's game in relation to Melo's.

Melo has been getting his plays, as Woodson said in the post game, but just hasn't been delivering with even a shred of consistency. In those opening plays VS Detroit he converted on a couple, but went cold - even from the block where he's most comfortable - including shooting an air ball that Breen and Clyde were miffed by. :shrug:

Since D'Antoni's departure he's shot 21.7% from behind the arc, too.

This shit needs to get sorted out because, as STAT mentioned after beating the Pistons, the team has set its sights on the Atlantic crown and as favorable a seed as possible.

Lin has had very little to do with Anthony's lack of shots and rhythm.

Whatever the problem - mental, IMO - Melo's tiptoeing the line of media scrutiny again regardless of whether or not he's been doing better defensively/being unselfish. We know how he deals with negativity, and the Knicks can't afford for that to happen.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
eh, Melo will hopefully get back to being Melo, if not then it was fun when he was a Knick :gony:

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer

Yes, Lin still has a lot to learn. He often goes too deep into the paint. He telegraphs his passes when he is not focused. You mentioned poor passing into the post and I noticed that too.

Having said that, I don't know if we can put all the blame on Lin for Melo's lack of scoring. As a former PF, I know I need to move with my PG to get into good scoring position. Melo rarely moves without the ball. Woody needs to draw up some plays for Melo to swing around the baseline off a pick and flash into a lowpost position.

It will take time for Lin to figure out where Melo likes to get the ball. It should be a no-brainer for Lin to realize that Melo's success will translate into team success. After all, he did go to Harvard. :)

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer

Yes and no. When your PG has the ball, you need to move with the ball and into a position to catch the pass. Only Chandler and Fields do that.

Lin does have this tendency to dribble too deep into the paint looking for a pass. He shouldn't force the ball inside when the defense is zooming in on his dribble. He has to run more pick and pop. Melo and Stat are both good mid-range shooters.

Lastly, Lin does make the team better.