Amare Back Monday...

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
Wasn't a bulging disk what Baron Davis had? This could be bad...all I know is Melo needs to step up hardcore.

Last edited:

Bizzoyd

Rookie
he had a herniated disc, a bulging disc is different

They are interchangeable terms that refer to the same injury. The cartilage between 2 vertebrae has begun to "herniate" or bulge and its pinching nerves and causing a large amount of pain.

They try non sergical stuff first that revolves around stretching and rest. A guy Amare's size though I would imagine will require surgery.

iSaYughh

Starter
They are interchangeable terms that refer to the same injury. The cartilage between 2 vertebrae has begun to "herniate" or bulge and its pinching nerves and causing a large amount of pain.

They try non sergical stuff first that revolves around stretching and rest. A guy Amare's size though I would imagine will require surgery.

+1

I've endured and recovered from two separate incidents of "bulging" (aka herniated) disks. Both from sports.

This is not good. At all.

Recovery is almost always very slow. Risk of re-injury or re-aggravation is very high -- to the point, that, without surgical remedy (and even with) many orthos will pretty much say you will never be the same (ie injury free again) continuing your sport.

In my case, it was grappling. I can't imagine the physicality and rigors of pro ball is much different in terms of the trauma.

Obviously, Amare isn't going to just stop playing. So every stop will be pulled out for a full recovery.

But the long-term risk of constant re-aggravation and injury is very high. The chance of requiring surgery or major descaling of minutes in the short term I'd imagine to be pretty high.

Everybody is different, though. Some people are freaks -- most pro athletes are, and their recovery is much different than a normal person. Of course, the trauma of many pro sports trancends any normal person's too.

And, Amare is pretty much 30 -- especially with a bone/disk injury, the simple facts of age always work against you and your prospect of recovery/re-aggravation.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Lets just say STAT is pretty much out for the rest of the season unless a miracle happens, the back is the toughest thing to figure out

bash

Benchwarmer
a bulgin disk is actually less severe than a herniated disk. If left untreated a bulging disk will probabl develop into a herniated disk. Lets hope he'll be fine soon.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Lets just say STAT is pretty much out for the rest of the season unless a miracle happens, the back is the toughest thing to figure out

I agree with this. That's the worst news we could have gotten. Amare's contract will be a huge issue now.

nyk_nyk

All Star
a bulgin disk is actually less severe than a herniated disk. If left untreated a bulging disk will probabl develop into a herniated disk. Lets hope he'll be fine soon.

Either way he'll be out for a while. Time for Jordan to step up.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Bulging Dics- the disc bulges out between the vertebrae into the spinal canal but it's not broken open

Herniated disc- the disc has broken open and the contents bulge out between the vertebrae into the spinal cord.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Its over for STAT. I called this earlier this year when he was sucking. Back injuries are lethal career enders. See Larry Johnson. And worst for us that Amare is not versatile like LJ. Add Amare to the Allan Houston club. Its over guys. Stick a fork in it. =-(

iSaYughh

Starter
Something to keep in mind is that whenever the body has an injury or trauma of any kind, the entire body will compensate. This compensation is a logical and necessary body mechanism, but a very dangerous one, if it isn't put into consideration and the original injury doesnt have a complete recovery. It often leads to newfound imbalances that are born, and resulting in increased susceptibility to new injuries.

And it's quite likely Amare's new injury, was born from his knees (eg), which have clearly never fully recovered and have been nagging.

A basic example of this cause-effect, which happens constantly in people who get injured, is my gf who tore a meniscus in her knees doing yoga.

There was no reason for her it to have been torn -- she had no inherent or already established injuries to that area, and she performed movements that anyone healthy should be able to perform w/ no risk of injury.

The year prior, she injured her left foot pretty badly, and it never was tended to properly and was a pretty improper/incomplete recovery. She developed a lot of compensatory responses with the right side of her body, around the knee area, which over time created new "mild" injuries/tweaks/imbalances.

Which basically softened her up, and created a window of real risk to be injured in an area, that at face value, should have no connection to her past foot injury.

quiggle

Starter
oh, the irony of this headline is there a pun intended?

back022912.jpg