Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amare Back Monday...

Veteran

Originally Posted by Bizzoyd
    They are interchangeable terms that refer to the same injury. The cartilage between 2 vertebrae has begun to "herniate" or bulge and its pinching nerves and causing a large amount of pain.

They try non sergical stuff first that revolves around stretching and rest. A guy Amare's size though I would imagine will require surgery.
    +1

I've endured and recovered from two separate incidents of "bulging" (aka herniated) disks. Both from sports.

This is not good. At all.

Recovery is almost always very slow. Risk of re-injury or re-aggravation is very high -- to the point, that, without surgical remedy (and even with) many orthos will pretty much say you will never be the same (ie injury free again) continuing your sport.

In my case, it was grappling. I can't imagine the physicality and rigors of pro ball is much different in terms of the trauma.

Obviously, Amare isn't going to just stop playing. So every stop will be pulled out for a full recovery.

But the long-term risk of constant re-aggravation and injury is very high. The chance of requiring surgery or major descaling of minutes in the short term I'd imagine to be pretty high.

Everybody is different, though. Some people are freaks -- most pro athletes are, and their recovery is much different than a normal person. Of course, the trauma of many pro sports trancends any normal person's too.

And, Amare is pretty much 30 -- especially with a bone/disk injury, the simple facts of age always work against you and your prospect of recovery/re-aggravation.

Lets just say STAT is pretty much out for the rest of the season unless a miracle happens, the back is the toughest thing to figure out

a bulgin disk is actually less severe than a herniated disk. If left untreated a bulging disk will probabl develop into a herniated disk. Lets hope he'll be fine soon.

Originally Posted by CA7
    Lets just say STAT is pretty much out for the rest of the season unless a miracle happens, the back is the toughest thing to figure out
    I agree with this. That's the worst news we could have gotten. Amare's contract will be a huge issue now.

Originally Posted by bash
    a bulgin disk is actually less severe than a herniated disk. If left untreated a bulging disk will probabl develop into a herniated disk. Lets hope he'll be fine soon.
    Either way he'll be out for a while. Time for Jordan to step up.

Bulging Dics- the disc bulges out between the vertebrae into the spinal canal but it's not broken open

Herniated disc- the disc has broken open and the contents bulge out between the vertebrae into the spinal cord.

Its over for STAT. I called this earlier this year when he was sucking. Back injuries are lethal career enders. See Larry Johnson. And worst for us that Amare is not versatile like LJ. Add Amare to the Allan Houston club. Its over guys. Stick a fork in it. =-(

Veteran

Something to keep in mind is that whenever the body has an injury or trauma of any kind, the entire body will compensate. This compensation is a logical and necessary body mechanism, but a very dangerous one, if it isn't put into consideration and the original injury doesnt have a complete recovery. It often leads to newfound imbalances that are born, and resulting in increased susceptibility to new injuries.

And it's quite likely Amare's new injury, was born from his knees (eg), which have clearly never fully recovered and have been nagging.

A basic example of this cause-effect, which happens constantly in people who get injured, is my gf who tore a meniscus in her knees doing yoga.

There was no reason for her it to have been torn -- she had no inherent or already established injuries to that area, and she performed movements that anyone healthy should be able to perform w/ no risk of injury.

The year prior, she injured her left foot pretty badly, and it never was tended to properly and was a pretty improper/incomplete recovery. She developed a lot of compensatory responses with the right side of her body, around the knee area, which over time created new "mild" injuries/tweaks/imbalances.

Which basically softened her up, and created a window of real risk to be injured in an area, that at face value, should have no connection to her past foot injury.

oh, the irony of this headline is there a pun intended?

When do we next have the amnesty available?

Wow if he doesn't recover within a few weeks the Knicks are done even if you do make the playoffs

But like a few ppl have stated a bulging disck is less severe than a a herniated disc like BD had, Amare can be back in a matter of two week or two months who know's lets just hope for the best.
    Last edited by NYCLakerfan; Mar 26, 2012 at 18:23.

Bitch the Lakers are done. Get real dude.

Superstar

This sucks. STAT was just finding his groove. What a shame. Hopefully it won't be as bad as last year, where he wasn't effective at all in that one home playoff loss against the Celts where he tried to go with the bad back. Maybe he can take a week or two and be back in time for the playoffs..

Terrible blow but what are we gonna do? We can't throw in the towel. Gotta keep playing and guys have to step up. Moving forward, I feel we need to add a scoring PF-type to try to replace Amar'e the best we can, effective immediately. Not that any D-leaguer or Euro player could replace STAT, of course that's rediculous, but I still feel we need to try...The trade deadline is over, but I still think we can look overseas or to the NBDL for a league-minimum replacement. Maybe a guy like Darnell Lazare. He wouldn't replace STAT but he would replace the scoring threat inside...We just don't have it at all w/o Stoudemire. Chandler's not a scorer, neither is Jorts really and Jerome Jordan isn't ready for the NBA. There's really no scoring big on this roster besides Amar'e when you really think about it. Our options are limited but I feel mgmt. needs to be proactive here...Get someone in here asap to learn the system and gain some experience playing with our players -- this way if STAT doesn't make it back, we at least add a little bit of an inside scoring threat to replace a portion of what he brought to the table. Of all the guys to go down man, I swear...

I say cut/buyout Billy Walker and automatically add Darnell Lazare or someone like him...Maybe Joe Alexander, DeShawn Sims, Marcus Cousin, Jeff Adrien...Maybe Mehmet Okur might be able to help us. The sooner we make a move, the better.
    Last edited by finestrg; Mar 26, 2012 at 18:54.

Originally Posted by JazRedGT
    Bitch the Lakers are done. Get real dude.
    Really stop getting butt hurt little *****, we all know the Lakers are a better team still than the Knicks and that wasn't even the case or the point dumbass I'm not even trying to disrespect the Knicks their my 2nd favorite team.

And like I said the Knicks will be done if Amare is done for the whole season and if your that delusional or stupid to not see that then good luck keeping hope alive.
    Last edited by NYCLakerfan; Mar 26, 2012 at 19:45.

The Fakers are done. Your too old to compete with the Thunder. Kobe's O'brien kissing days are over. Now get outta my face *****.