Jerome Jordan still #5 PER player on Knicks

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Just as the PER statistic was screaming "play Jeremy Lin" well before Linsanity became a household word, the Knicks PER statistics are still pointing out the lack of a level playing field in the evaluation of players by management:

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/ny/cat/PER/new-york-knicks

Jerome Jordan and Renaldo Balkman (no longer even on the roster) are two major cases in point. Their limitations as players are obvious. However, their performance, as measured by the PER statistic, against more flashy more (perceived) upside players is telling.

I have no problem developing players like Shumpert and Harellson. I have no problems thinking that you can get players like Smith and Davis to become more efficient on the floor.

However, I do have a problem with pretending that your only goal is winning games now when the player rotation minutes do not correlate to the PER statistics. Yes, you have to take position, roles, skills, and chemistry into account.

However, when there is a clear hole at backup center and your #5 player is a center (the only true center on the team other than Chandler) and a regular DNP, there is something else going on.

I agree. I have liked what I have seen from Jerome in limited minutes & wish he would get a bit more of a chance. He's long, athletic, sort of springy. Seems to have decent instincts. Hope he gets more of an opportunity here or somewhere else.

smokes

Huge Member
I don't claim to be able to give great analysis of statistics but isn't this kinda completely irrelevant given that any stats Jerome Jordan has accrued have been in garbage time only?

I don't claim to be able to give great analysis of statistics but isn't this kinda completely irrelevant given that any stats Jerome Jordan has accrued have been in garbage time only?

You, sir, give a better analysis of statistics than you give yourself credit for

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Stats analysis

Most of the stats have been in garbage time, so yes, large grain of salt.

However, they are still an indication that he plays the right way when he is on the floor, because they have never run a single play for him, garbage time or not.

However, here is a notable exception.

The game against the Utah Jazz Feb 6th. Chandler was in foul trouble in the 3rd period. Amare was away because of his brother's death and Harrellson was injured; and Carmelo only played 6 minutes (I think this was the game he got hurt).

As a result the Knick front-court was Novak and Jeffries and Walker. The Knicks had built a good lead in the first half, but Utah was coming back, in particular because Al Jefferson was killing them in the paint.

D'Antoni was forced to insert Jordan for about 8 minutes. He had almost no statistical impact on the game, and in fact was -7 on the +/- for the game. However, while he was on the floor, Jefferson was no longer scoring at will in the paint, and the Knicks ended up winning the game.

Nothing to cause a Jordansanity about, but not insignificant either.

During the Knicks 4th quarter meltdown tonight against Indiana, might it have made a difference if Jordan was in the paint so the Knicks' perimeter defenders don't give up as many threes and fouls? Might Indiana have gotten three or four fewer offensive rebounds during that critical run? Four or six fewer foul shots?

Maybe Jordan contests a few rebounds on the bad Knick shots during the run, not getting the offensive rebound, but just preventing the resulting fast break by Indiana?

Maybe the Knick lead is 8 or 10 instead of 4 when Carmelo and Chandler get back in the game....

Kiyaman

Legend
We should be developin "trio" Novak/Jorts/Jordan in a lineup

Most of the stats have been in garbage time, so yes, large grain of salt.

However, they are still an indication that he plays the right way when he is on the floor, because they have never run a single play for him, garbage time or not.

However, here is a notable exception.

The game against the Utah Jazz Feb 6th. Chandler was in foul trouble in the 3rd period. Amare was away because of his brother's death and Harrellson was injured; and Carmelo only played 6 minutes (I think this was the game he got hurt).

As a result the Knick front-court was Novak and Jeffries and Walker. The Knicks had built a good lead in the first half, but Utah was coming back, in particular because Al Jefferson was killing them in the paint.

D'Antoni was forced to insert Jordan for about 8 minutes. He had almost no statistical impact on the game, and in fact was -7 on the +/- for the game. However, while he was on the floor, Jefferson was no longer scoring at will in the paint, and the Knicks ended up winning the game.

Nothing to cause a Jordansanity about, but not insignificant either.

During the Knicks 4th quarter meltdown tonight against Indiana, might it have made a difference if Jordan was in the paint so the Knicks' perimeter defenders don't give up as many threes and fouls? Might Indiana have gotten three or four fewer offensive rebounds during that critical run? Four or six fewer foul shots?

Maybe Jordan contests a few rebounds on the bad Knick shots during the run, not getting the offensive rebound, but just preventing the resulting fast break by Indiana?

Maybe the Knick lead is 8 or 10 instead of 4 when Carmelo and Chandler get back in the game....

:agreed:
Great insert....from the few seconds & minutes we watched of Jerome Jordan decent fundamental talent....its out-right wrong for the Knicks organization to make it look like Jerome Jordan talent is not worth 10 minutes of NBA time.
In the last couple of weeks Harrellson been averaging 8 to 9 minutes per game. WTF

Lastseason Stat & Turiaf sitting out two games forced the Knicks organization to give playingtime to a monthly DNP Mozgov & AR.

This season Stat & Jefferies has been sitting out for 3 weeks forcing the Knicks organization to give playingtime to Harrellson & Jordan, but to no avail....giving Harrellson 2 straight minutes of playingtime each quarter equal Jordan's DNP....Knicks forcing Tyson Chandler to play 40 minutes per game equal injury...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I'm not one to want somebody to play just for size, but it seems like we could use his because he seems at least decent.

It's important to note that some of it is garbage time. It's almost important to note that a lot of players know their only chance to showcase themselves is garbage time because that's the only time they're on the floor. There are times that it's technically garbage time but both teams have young, unproven players on the court & most are trying pretty hard.

Keep in mind that Jeremy Lin accrued some of his impressive early stats (including a very good PER) while he was playing during garbage time. Again, these are small samples & they are garbage time, but it is definitely not irrelevant.