I'm officially eating my crow...

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
CA7, i have noticed that too. Lin does take a lot of shots for a point guard and for some reason doesnt pass to Melo as much as he should.
Melo is by far my favorite player and i dont like that aspect of Lins game. I think Woody has to fix it when Lin does come back.

Rose got 29 points. Isn't he a point guard?

It's very strange that I've seen Lin pass to Melo a lot of times. Those passes didn't count?

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
:agreed:Because fields let him sleep on his couch, so he only passes him the ball.He doesn't even look for STAT and MELO, i like LIN, but he has to realize his run is over, and get the ball to his best players.

He has been doing that. He will continue doing that. Please don't get him wrong. It's not a good thing to bring up Fields like that.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Rose got 29 points. Isn't he a point guard?

It's very strange that I've seen Lin pass to Melo a lot of times. Those passes didn't count?

That is simply not true.

It's not a good thing to lie.

Can't we just celebrate Melo's great performance without pointing fingers?

Rose is the #1 option on his team so he has to score who else can he count on Boozer is inconsistent, Deng is reliable but not elite, Rip hasn't been there, Korver is easy to stop, Noah has no offensive game

Lin has Melo/STAT/JR/Novak/Shumpert and still manages to shoot in the top 3 on our team, he shoots the same amount of times as STAT sometimes, also Lin misses Melo a lot, looks him off in favor of Fields/Novak/Chandler and usually only passes it to him when there is no one else available

I'd rather have Shumpert as the Point Guard and have him and Melo work like Westbrook and Durant to be honest

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Rose is the #1 option on his team so he has to score who else can he count on Boozer is inconsistent, Deng is reliable but not elite, Rip hasn't been there, Korver is easy to stop, Noah has no offensive game

Lin has Melo/STAT/JR/Novak/Shumpert and still manages to shoot in the top 3 on our team, he shoots the same amount of times as STAT sometimes, also Lin misses Melo a lot, looks him off in favor of Fields/Novak/Chandler and usually only passes it to him when there is no one else available

I'd rather have Shumpert as the Point Guard and have him and Melo work like Westbrook and Durant to be honest
I think it'll be different now that Melo is playing great. Whether Lin passed it to him enough or not, Melo wasn't the same player he is now.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer

Thanks for your insight and honesty.

Just a little thought here:
If Lin shoots less, he will be considered less intimidating to defenders.
If the defenders also consider it's dangerous to let Lin shoot freely, then Lin will draw more attention and eventually produce more open shots for teammates.
So in my opinion, Lin needs to shoot from time to time to make his passes more valuable.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Thanks for your insight and honesty.

Just a little thought here:
If Lin shoots less, he will be considered less intimidating to defenders.
If the defenders also consider it's dangerous to let Lin shoot freely, then Lin will draw more attention and eventually produce more open shots for teammates.
So in my opinion, Lin needs to shoot from time to time to make his passes more valuable.

definitely, I think Lin needs to choose his spots better though, there are times he drives and takes off balance 1 footers like Dirk and misses everything other times, he makes them or he'll make a pass that gets deflected but we end up with it or it gets deflected and we turn it over

like JVG says "dont accept in victory what we would frown upon in defeat"

Lin is still learning though I just hope when he comes back, the media and his following dont force him to get back to what he was, I just want him to set up the O, make plays when need be, hit open shots and play D......and keep TO's down

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
definitely, I think Lin needs to choose his spots better though, there are times he drives and takes off balance 1 footers like Dirk and misses everything other times, he makes them or he'll make a pass that gets deflected but we end up with it or it gets deflected and we turn it over

Lin is still learning though I just hope when he comes back, the media and his following dont force him to get back to what he was, I just want him to set up the O, make plays when need be, hit open shots and play D......and keep TO's down

Nice quote from Jeff Van Gundy.

We definitely don't want the media to coach us.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Nice quote from Jeff Van Gundy.

We definitely don't want the media to coach us.

thanks I love JVG he's brilliant

also thats what happened with D'Antoni he let the media get what they want, Woodson is not havin that shit which is why he put out that Lin fire, its not healthy for overall team success, guys like Shumpert/Novak/Jeffries were a part of "Linsanity" too but over shadowed by the media anointing him the next Steve Nash

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
I think it'll be different now that Melo is playing great. Whether Lin passed it to him enough or not, Melo wasn't the same player he is now.
If Melo keeps playing like he did the last few games, Lin's assists will go way up.................

At the end of the game, both players are clutch...... This could be a nightmare for opposing defenses....... Not to mention easy off. rebounds if one of them happens to misfire.................

gaknickfan

Benchwarmer
i think the biggest difference about melo is at the defensive end .....heck from all the guys ....alot more effort .....great to see!!!..... something NY basketball has always been about

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
:agreed:Because fields let him sleep on his couch, so he only passes him the ball.He doesn't even look for STAT and MELO, i like LIN, but he has to realize his run is over, and get the ball to his best players.

I just want him to set up the O, make plays when need be, hit open shots and play D......and keep TO's down

Isn't is what Lin was trying to do before he was injured?
IMO a lot of animosity against Lin from posts here, even with Lin isn't playing. This usually happens after Melo has a good game.

The common goal, for all fans from all sports, is winning. It's that simple. When the team is losing, everyone is scrutinizing under the microscope; the owner, GM, the coach, and even more so for the high-paid players.
Dolan brought Melo here for one purpose only; to win! I am sure most of KOers do not hate Melo. Knicks is a team with full of talents. We all know that. And fans had high hopes this season and every right to doubt Melo's ability when he was in his long and seemed like never ending shooting slump, and more importantly: the team was losing! Now that the team is winning, we really shouldnt focus on someone who will not return for the rest of the regular season.

We can all put our blame on MDA for being the best 2-game-above-.500 team (at this time of the season) in NBA history!

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
Looks like a little competition here and there among players is inevitable.

As long as it's healthy.... man, as long as it's healthy......

lookgrabpull

Benchwarmer
I long for the day when players aren't viewed as the sole option on a team. I mean when will we start viewing this team as a toolbox, with a lot of different (and effective) tools, which we can use at any given time.

A good PG is guarding Lin - pass the ball to a Melo ISO. Melo is double teamed - Lin starts a PnR with Chandler. It's all about what's right for the situation at hand.

Even when it comes to who is the starting 5 on a team. I understand it's about chemistry and people getting used to their roles, but how about coaches switch it up to surprise the other team every once in a while. Especially in a playoff series. For instance - think about how much more pressure you put on a team if you have a star quality player on the second unit. (I'm not saying we should move amare to the second unit, just that it's a tool we might want to consider in certain situations).

The sad thing is that I know there's a lot of ego and power struggles that it's never going to happen. (we're not gonna pay 20mil to watch someone come off the bench, yada yada...) But I think we're missing out. The NBA has become so predictable it's ridiculous.

If switching things up and keeping other teams confused helps us win a given game, then the whole system has to adjust, including the players.

We're a team. And winning as a team should come first.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
I long for the day when players aren't viewed as the sole option on a team. I mean when will we start viewing this team as a toolbox, with a lot of different (and effective) tools, which we can use at any given time.

A good PG is guarding Lin - pass the ball to a Melo ISO. Melo is double teamed - Lin starts a PnR with Chandler. It's all about what's right for the situation at hand.

Even when it comes to who is the starting 5 on a team. I understand it's about chemistry and people getting used to their roles, but how about coaches switch it up to surprise the other team every once in a while. Especially in a playoff series. For instance - think about how much more pressure you put on a team if you have a star quality player on the second unit. (I'm not saying we should move amare to the second unit, just that it's a tool we might want to consider in certain situations).

The sad thing is that I know there's a lot of ego and power struggles that it's never going to happen. (we're not gonna pay 20mil to watch someone come off the bench, yada yada...) But I think we're missing out. The NBA has become so predictable it's ridiculous.

If switching things up and keeping other teams confused helps us win a given game, then the whole system has to adjust, including the players.

We're a team. And winning as a team should come first.

Very well said! Especially "how about coaches switch it up to surprise the other team every once in a while." & "winning as a team should come first."

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

fender0577

Rotation player

Thank u, that's all i'm saying, people on here get so defensive, if you criticize LIN, in any way, he's on my team, but i'm not going to praise everything he does, just because i'm a die hard knick fan.Lin is a good guard, but i don't want him leading the team in shots taken, he's the PG, get our best guys going first, then if your shots there take it, and i'm sorry LIN lovers, but he needs to get the ball to MELO, way more than to fields.:peace:

skisloper

Starter
Thank u, that's all i'm saying, people on here get so defensive, if you criticize LIN, in any way, he's on my team, but i'm not going to praise everything he does, just because i'm a die hard knick fan.Lin is a good guard, but i don't want him leading the team in shots taken, he's the PG, get our best guys going first, then if your shots there take it, and i'm sorry LIN lovers, but he needs to get the ball to MELO, way more than to fields.:peace:

When Melo was shooting 33% and lazy on defense and the boards NO he should not have been getting the ball......Let Melo give a 100% as he seems to be doing and then that solves all problems....nobody ever doubted his ability and skills.....his lack of effort was pathetic.....In yesterdays game you see Melo grabbing boards and playing defense and as awesome as he was one can only wonder why he does not bring that every nights as Lebron does........

Its all about effort for a guy like Melo....skills and talents just do not dissapear but lack of effort can make them invisible....

KnickKnack

Rookie
Why are we always talking about who should get the ball more? Players get hot in games, and they get cold in games. We should be happy we got several good players to give the ball to. If Melo is hot, give it to him. If he's taking us out of the game, find the open man. It's not about one person, but a team.

All you guys saying Lin is shooting too much, or Melo is shooting too much, or STAT takes Melo out of his game....enough already. You guys have been saying the same thing all season long, and you'll never be happy with how we're playing unless we win a 'chip.

Instead of stressing about who should be carrying the team, how about just acknowledging the TEAM is playing great right now?

fender0577

Rotation player
When Melo was shooting 33% and lazy on defense and the boards NO he should not have been getting the ball......Let Melo give a 100% as he seems to be doing and then that solves all problems....nobody ever doubted his ability and skills.....his lack of effort was pathetic.....In yesterdays game you see Melo grabbing boards and playing defense and as awesome as he was one can only wonder why he does not bring that every nights as Lebron does........

Its all about effort for a guy like Melo....skills and talents just do not dissapear but lack of effort can make them invisible....
:agreed::agreed:There was no excuse for the lack of effort he showed, but he was trying to play through an injury, and C'ANToni didn't make it any easier on him.I was just a little frustrated by some of the stupidity on this board,(Trade STAT and MELO) and build around LIN, SMH.This guy averages 25 PPG over the last 8 years, and he forgot how to play, STAT gave use 25 PPG just last year, and some KO'ers yelling trade him, i couldn't take some of the stupidity.

fender0577

Rotation player
Why are we always talking about who should get the ball more? Players get hot in games, and they get cold in games. We should be happy we got several good players to give the ball to. If Melo is hot, give it to him. If he's taking us out of the game, find the open man. It's not about one person, but a team.

All you guys saying Lin is shooting too much, or Melo is shooting too much, or STAT takes Melo out of his game....enough already. You guys have been saying the same thing all season long, and you'll never be happy with how we're playing unless we win a 'chip.

Instead of stressing about who should be carrying the team, how about just acknowledging the TEAM is playing great right now?
Because when u have Bill walker, tony D, JORTS etc firing up bad shot after bad shot, and you have 2 proven scorers, not getting touches for long stretches, and your losing, because of it, it gets frustrating.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer

Agree!

This is not about Lin's leading the team in shots taken. Nor it is about getting the ball to Melo or to Fields. Who cares about those irrelevant arguments if Knicks keep on winning?

NBA IS ALL ABOUT WINNING! Nothing else matters much. Some people are so blinded by their own passion, they forget the common and ultimate goal for the team they support.

There is absolutely no reason for Lin not to play well with Melo. They only played less than 15 games together on court. And I look forward to their co-existence next season. Lin should be honored to play on the same court with stars like Melo. And likewise, Melo should be happy that he can finally play with a legit PG and will help develop Lin's on-court experiences. They NEED each other to play together as a team if they want to go further into the playoffs.

Last edited: