Why does Landry Fields play so many minutes?

metrocard

Legend
Can anyone remind me why?

29 minutes
9 ppg
25% 3pt Shooter
57% FT shooter
4 rebounds
2.5 assist
1.7 turnovers

I'm quite lost.

The guy is a good slasher, everything else he's been horrible this season.

Just would rather see Shump and Smith get all the minutes at SG and let Fields back at SF behind Anthony and NOVAK.

Am I alone on this?

corymakeitstop.gif

This is me when I see Landry Field brick a jumpshot.

Agreed.. I like Fields and feel like he gets cut little slack for a 2nd year player... But his regression in jump shooting is definitely hurting us this season. He's hesitant to shoot when he has a wide open look and ends up traveling or turning the ball over on some panic type shit.

KingCharles34

All Star
lol at that gif, i didnt know Fields was shooting that low from downtown. Hes really horrible, and I completely agree with both of u. Now that Bill Walker is back, i wouldnt mind seeing him get some of Fields minutes too. But Shump and JR Smith are both undeniably better all around players then Fields. But we often see Fields get more minutes then one of them, sometimes even both of them. I thought this would change when Woodson was brought in, i think its time us Knicks fans rally outside of MSG. We should have 2 objectives

1) Get Fields the fukk outta the starting lineup
2) Get that old prick Mike Breen fired

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
He's in the starting lineup because, he's not reliable enough to come off the bench and get you buckets like JR is capable of. Fields sadly is really our only option at the starting SG position. unless your willing to watch walker play SG. I think walker would be to slow to keep up with other SG's fields alone has trouble doing that. The injuries with Amare & LIn shakes our starting Lineup up big time, when everyone is healthy im sure Woodson will move Shump into the starting lineup at the SG position... it should look something like Lin, Shumpert, Melo, Amare, Chandler

My ideal off-season = Resign JR.... resign NOVAK& JEFFRIES for vet min.... and instead of resigning Fields we can use that money to pick up a legit Backup Center.

we should of gave up Fields instead of wilson Chandler or mozgov in that denver deal... Fields value was pretty high...until the trade went down.

Last edited:
...Did you just say CLyde makes u gouge your eyes????

...Clyde is the greatest sports announcer EVER!!!!

...We're lucky for him to grace our ears with his serendiputous catch phrases and witty one liners

Rob Low

Rotation player
I agree as well, they should start Shump when Stat comes back. Give Landry like 18 minutes at SF backing up Melo. I also don't think Novak should get as many minutes as he does. Without Lin he's not getting open looks and his defense is really hurting us.

smokes

Huge Member
I think Fields has been just like Melo this year. Horribly inconsistent. The only consistent things about his game is that he can't hit a FT or a 3 pointer. However on the games that he plays good, he plays GREAT.

I'd like to see him here one more year, see if a full offseason working with Houston on his jumper when Shumpert isn't, can improve his game.

petescud

Starter
yeah, Fields is overrated and should only play 15 minutes a game...i think he's our best option though ahead of Walker, though Walker's offensive game is better. Wish Lin was still playing..

Also sad they let my boy Chandler go instead of fields

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Ironically this thread is created on the same day of a game in which Fields has played very well against the opponent this season.

CA7

Scoring Champ
he starts because.....................cant think of 1 good reason, except that he doesn't need the ball and is usually found cuttin to the basket or getting an offensive board, but no one respects his J, he cant dribble, he's too slow to stick with 2 Guards

Also Breen is the worst, I cant deal with him which is why I love when we have Nationally televised games so I dont have to hear him, usually when I do, JVG is owning him like on Sunday when he was shittin on Melo

KingCharles34

All Star
^

Why doesnt Breen ever go in on Fields? Why did he go out of his way to defend Douglas earlier in the season? Why does he hate Carmelo so much?

I've never heard him go in on Chandler either. Hear me out for a minute here fellas, I love what Chandler has done but he struggles and make stupid plays sometimes when he has a high energy guy against him. I believe it was Admunson giving him some problems a couple games ago, i remember that real big dude on the Wolves too...i think hes hurt right now, cant think of his name but it starts with a P.

I have no problems with any of these players (except Fields), but if Breen is gonna b*tch and whine about one player, it makes him look like a hater. I love unbiased commentary but c'mon Breen. Even when i was dissatisfied with Melo's play pre-Woodson, Breen would still annoy me. Shut the f*ck up d*ckhead

Sorry Metro for sorta turning this into a Fields/Breen thread, they both annoy me and take away from the game. Let me bring it back to Landry, yea I would give him about 15 to 20 minutes a game max. 29 minutes is at least 10 too many, maybe if JR Smith was a starter it'd help get going earlier in the game.

smokes

Huge Member
Sorry Metro for sorta turning this into a Fields/Breen thread, they both annoy me and take away from the game. Let me bring it back to Landry, yea I would give him about 15 to 20 minutes a game max. 29 minutes is at least 10 too many, maybe if JR Smith was a starter it'd help get going earlier in the game.

I don't really understand why people still want JR to start its clear he is comfortable in the 6th man role he is similar to Crawford he wants to get plenty of shots and the 2nd unit is where he can do that, and also still share the ball a lot and do a bit of ballhandling. Old Swishy has been a 6th man for years now and it's a role he thrives in.

I hope Shumpert will be our starting 2 next year, Fields is not that bad but Shump is obviously better. Right now they can't really start Shump though, as he's needed to help at PG when Baron is sitting.

EDIT - um obviously that came out wrong as Shump is starting but you know what I mean, they can't play him ahead of Fields for the time being.

KingCharles34

All Star
Yea that all makes sense Smokes but we've never seen Smith as a starter. It might be worth it to give him a try temporarily, but when the team is healthy i ultimately agree with u. This should be the starting lineup next year

PG- Lin
SG- Shumpert
SF- Melo
PF- Bulgedemire
C- Tyson

As for this year, i guess its a lose lose either way. You can either have the unproductive Fields as a starter or coming off the bench, but either way hes a bad shooter and is the weakest link in our rotation. And they can still cut his minutes down to between 15 and 20, 29 is completely unnecessary

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I like Fields. He's a smart dude who has decent slashing ability and some nice hops. The problem is that he can't shoot a lick. I have no idea what happened to him in the offseason but its getting bad. He's killing us because he can't space the floor....but he used to be able to shoot well last year?

Just confused at how his game has kinda dropped ever since Melo came. I mean I understand the initial struggle, but to see this continue for almost a year is def alarming.

I have no problem with 20-25 minutes though as long as he is playing with high energy.

Kiyaman

Legend
Fields bad habits are Dantoni 3-balls & getting tired to quick

We would be a fool not to resign Landry Fields....Fields all-around performance
doesnt come up on stats, what do come up on stats....5 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 to, 7 fga per
game at 48% as a second season player.

as decent as Shump performance been lookin I still wouldnt start Shump next season.

shooter off the bench = JR Smith NBA career.

the original 2nd-unit started out as a 3-guard small-lineup of players....
Davis, Shump, JR, Novak, Jefferies.

Sage

Rotation player
There's plenty to like about Landry's game. He's a solid rebounder, works hard on defense (watching him today I noticed his defensive fundamentals have improved since earlier in the season), works well away from the ball and has good ability to get a high percentage shot in the lane.

It's mainly his jump shot that's been off, and I'd say it's confidence more than form. Recently I went through a shooting slump myself and understand how it can completely cripple your game.

Hopefully the coaches are working with him on the mental aspect (Not thinking about the shot during game or worrying about them missing) as much as the physical aspect (repetition, muscle memory, etc).