Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does Landry Fields play so many minutes?

Yea that all makes sense Smokes but we've never seen Smith as a starter. It might be worth it to give him a try temporarily, but when the team is healthy i ultimately agree with u. This should be the starting lineup next year

PG- Lin
    SG- Shumpert
    SF- Melo
    PF- Bulgedemire
    C- Tyson

As for this year, i guess its a lose lose either way. You can either have the unproductive Fields as a starter or coming off the bench, but either way hes a bad shooter and is the weakest link in our rotation. And they can still cut his minutes down to between 15 and 20, 29 is completely unnecessary

Breen is getting a lot of criticism in here, but he works SO hard.

I like Fields. He's a smart dude who has decent slashing ability and some nice hops. The problem is that he can't shoot a lick. I have no idea what happened to him in the offseason but its getting bad. He's killing us because he can't space the floor....but he used to be able to shoot well last year?

Just confused at how his game has kinda dropped ever since Melo came. I mean I understand the initial struggle, but to see this continue for almost a year is def alarming.

I have no problem with 20-25 minutes though as long as he is playing with high energy.

Veteran

Default Fields bad habits are Dantoni 3-balls & getting tired to quick

We would be a fool not to resign Landry Fields....Fields all-around performance
    doesnt come up on stats, what do come up on stats....5 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 to, 7 fga per
    game at 48% as a second season player.

as decent as Shump performance been lookin I still wouldnt start Shump next season.

shooter off the bench = JR Smith NBA career.

the original 2nd-unit started out as a 3-guard small-lineup of players....
    Davis, Shump, JR, Novak, Jefferies.

There's plenty to like about Landry's game. He's a solid rebounder, works hard on defense (watching him today I noticed his defensive fundamentals have improved since earlier in the season), works well away from the ball and has good ability to get a high percentage shot in the lane.

It's mainly his jump shot that's been off, and I'd say it's confidence more than form. Recently I went through a shooting slump myself and understand how it can completely cripple your game.

Hopefully the coaches are working with him on the mental aspect (Not thinking about the shot during game or worrying about them missing) as much as the physical aspect (repetition, muscle memory, etc).

he's the Knicks top +/- player

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

he can only score when driving or slashing to the basket, but he's doing something right even though nothing obvious comes up

I agree with resigning Fields... he's a great, young all around player and he just needs to work on his jump shot.. once he gets that he's gonna be very valuable to our team, even coming off the bench.

Veteran

Question Mark

How can so many K.O. fans forget the Knicks best 3-Guard lineup that WON 7 straight
    games with their oustanding gellin "DEFENSE" in the 4th quarter....
    Lin-Sanity, Shump, Fields, Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler

Defense wins game! offense make u go wow!
    this thread show more wow-fans than win-fans....is dat a good sign???

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    How can so many K.O. fans forget the Knicks best 3-Guard lineup that WON 7 straight
    games with their oustanding gellin "DEFENSE" in the 4th quarter....
    Lin-Sanity, Shump, Fields, Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler

Defense wins game! offense make u go wow!
    this thread show more wow-fans than win-fans....is dat a good sign???
    Lin/Shump/Anthony/Jefferies/Chandler > Lin/Shump/Fields/Jefferies/Chandler

Im sorry, anyone who said they want bill walker to get more mins than Fields is smoking way too much crack with Bill on that bench. Walker comes in makes 2 fouls whines and complains turns the ball over and looks out of shape all season. Fields has his moments and i do agree his shot is pure Garbage. i dont know what he did to work on it but he ruined it really bad, if he fixes that he should be a good player in this league. hes a good defender can play 2 and 3 and guard both well. hes a good rebounder and passer.

Just cuz JR smith mad 1 big shot makes him better>? the guy is a chucker and a ball hog. his shot selection is HORRIBLE and his attitude is even worse! the day he becomes a mature adult is the day he will be a good player in the mean time hes a scrub who thinks hes melo.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    We would be a fool not to resign Landry Fields....Fields all-around performance
    doesnt come up on stats, what do come up on stats....5 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 to, 7 fga per
    game at 48% as a second season player.

as decent as Shump performance been lookin I still wouldnt start Shump next season.

shooter off the bench = JR Smith NBA career.

the original 2nd-unit started out as a 3-guard small-lineup of players....
    Davis, Shump, JR, Novak, Jefferies.

Why wouldn't you start Shumpert? Fields has been starting since day 1, and he is far less skilled than Shumpert, not even taking defense into account.

Superstar

Who are we going to give his minutes to?Bill Walker, no thanks, remember people, it's only his second year in the NBA, we can still develope him, into a very good SG/SF.Last year he lead all guards in rebounding, as a rookie, he has all the intangibles, he hustles, rebs, back cuts.He just needs to work on a few things, like FT's, and a consistent jumper and he'll be good.Remember, he was the 39TH pick, how many of use though, he'd be this good, not many, if any.

Originally Posted by MadJack
    Why wouldn't you start Shumpert? Fields has been starting since day 1, and he is far less skilled than Shumpert, not even taking defense into account.
    I am just guessing Kiyaman felt Shump was the intricate part of Mobb Deep. We used to go up 5-10 points when starters taking a breather in between quarters. Mobb Deep was so affective against most of the teams, opposition coachers would bring back their starters wihout the benefit of a full rest. If you count the point differential, that amounted to 10-20 points in a game. Yeah we were so dangerous with our bench; we ran opposition's bench straight up their poop chute!

We all used to get excited when our bench subbed in. After Lin's injury, Knicks bench is pathetically Sadd Deep. No decent PG to run the floor and no real defense without Shump. The table had turned. Nowadays I pray they dont lose too many point when starters are out.

Shump is good but not great offensively. Against opposition starters defense, many of his drives ended up in shots blocked or stripped. He just can't finish in the paint. It's a jungle out there for a rookie as a starter! If he keeps getting frustrated out there, it doesnt do any good for his confidence.

When Lin and Stat are healthy, lets take our time developing Shump talents by bring him off the bench!

How about we use whatever's best depending on the team that plays us? If we're playing a team that has a star SG (Chi, LAL, etc) then we put shump in to start with strong D - taking their main scorer off rhythm. All other teams we start fields.

I would do it with other changes in the starting lineup, but that could be revolutionary enough for now.

If we don't get married to our starting 5, we can have the freedom to mix it up, and the players get the idea that this is a TEAM.

replier

In order surprise the world by beating either Miami or Chicago. This should be starting lineup in playoffs with minutes and rotation against Miami or Chicago

Smith-32 Shumpert-32 Melo-36 Jeffries-28 Chandler-36
    BD-16 Fields-16 Walker-12 Novak-12 Amare-20

Amare or BD will be more effective with less minutes off the bench. I don't trust Douglas or Bibby with minutes. Jeffries will starting to match the size defense and rebounding of of these 2 elite teams. If Jeffries can size up defensively on the board against Bosh and Noah. While Smith and Shumpert running the offense match up defensively against either Wade or Rose, Jeffries could also help bring the ball up as well as Melo. Melo will need win the Lebron or Deng battle. I also believe Walker will be part of the rotation as he will see more minutes over the next 8 games. The only way Knicks can really compete is to battle defensively win ugly and have their superstars make more game winning shots.