Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does Landry Fields play so many minutes?

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Can anyone remind me why?

29 minutes
    9 ppg
    25% 3pt Shooter
    57% FT shooter
    4 rebounds
    2.5 assist
    1.7 turnovers

I'm quite lost.

The guy is a good slasher, everything else he's been horrible this season.

Just would rather see Shump and Smith get all the minutes at SG and let Fields back at SF behind Anthony and NOVAK.

Am I alone on this?

This is me when I see Landry Field brick a jumpshot.
    I completely agree...Fields has to lose his starting job when Amare comes back. I wish he lost it right now.

I believe the only reason he is starting is because Bill Walker is out of the rotation, yet he would provide more of an impact because he is a good rebounder and can actually hit a 3 point shot.

The other reason is because Amare is out and we need rebounding which is one of the few things Fields is good at.

The biggest reason is because Mike Woodson wants some scoring punch off the bench in JR Smith and coming off the bench allows Jr to be the focal point on offense for the 2nd unit. Jr cant throw up as many shots if most of his minutes are with Melo and the soon returning Amare.

Seeing FIelds shoot an outside shot makes me shake my head because if he makes it, we are VERY lucky. I would rather have Tyson CHandler shooting the ball than FIelds because from FT range Tyson is better.

How is it possible that a SG is terrible at shooting 3's and free throws? He is not a shooter!

Fields is a small forward that should play backup to Melo whenever Melo gets too tired.

Fields should play a range of 8-15 minutes a game as a role player.

Bring in Fields when you have offensive players with him.

When Amare returns we should start:

Davis
    Shumpert
    Melo
    Amare
    Chandler

bench:

Shumpert/Douglas
    Smith
    Fields
    Novak
    Jeffries/Harrellson

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    I completely agree...Fields has to lose his starting job when Amare comes back. I wish he lost it right now.

I believe the only reason he is starting is because Bill Walker is out of the rotation, yet he would provide more of an impact because he is a good rebounder and can actually hit a 3 point shot.

The other reason is because Amare is out and we need rebounding which is one of the few things Fields is good at.
    Walker would not have a bigger impact on the game than Fields, well actually he probably would in a negative way.

Walker is just pure garbage, and should have been cut for a pg down the stretch.

Fields issue is his jumper, that's basically it.

Fields doesn't bother me missing free throws, because he is still aggressive and drawing fouls HELPS THE TEAM.

His 2 point Fields goal % is in the top 3 from the guard position, as is his rebounding is top 5, and just outside of top 5 in steals.

I just find it so amazing that people dump on Fields when the team doesn't even have a legit shooting guard on it.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
    I am just guessing Kiyaman felt Shump was the intricate part of Mobb Deep. We used to go up 5-10 points when starters taking a breather in between quarters. Mobb Deep was so affective against most of the teams, opposition coachers would bring back their starters wihout the benefit of a full rest. If you count the point differential, that amounted to 10-20 points in a game. Yeah we were so dangerous with our bench; we ran opposition's bench straight up their poop chute!

We all used to get excited when our bench subbed in. After Lin's injury, Knicks bench is pathetically Sadd Deep. No decent PG to run the floor and no real defense without Shump. The table had turned. Nowadays I pray they dont lose too many point when starters are out.

Shump is good but not great offensively. Against opposition starters defense, many of his drives ended up in shots blocked or stripped. He just can't finish in the paint. It's a jungle out there for a rookie as a starter! If he keeps getting frustrated out there, it doesnt do any good for his confidence.

When Lin and Stat are healthy, lets take our time developing Shump talents by bring him off the bench!

Great answer bringing 3 to 4 fresh legs players off the bench is great,
    when one of those players have rookie Shump energy it becomes DYNAMIC.
    I recall myself wondering why OKC were bringing Hardin great talent off the bench
    his first two seasons in the NBA....that wonderin stopped in last season playoffs.

Veteran

Originally Posted by MadJack
    Why wouldn't you start Shumpert? Fields has been starting since day 1, and he is far less skilled than Shumpert, not even taking defense into account.
    I wouldnt say Fields has less talent than Shump, both players have their own different high skills when used and coached to their talent....decision-making & complimenting teammates talents goes to Fields. Speed & energy goes to Shump....its easy to chose which talent belong in the starting lineup.

Last season I complained about rookie Landry Fields being given such a heavy load to carry before each game as a starter going-up against NBA starters....it isnt fair to any rookie, especially a 2nd round draft pick rookie. Bum Donnie Walsh was suppose to accept starter SG-Monta Ellis in the trade for David Lee....trading 6th man energy Nate Robinson for Walker who cant beat out any rookie for playingtime in his 5 year career with Boston & N.Y..

Paul....Landry Fields were our second highest rebounder last season, and is our 4th highest rebounder this season....when we have a decent roster of 7 bigmen to use from Chandler, Stat, Melo, Jorts, Jeff, Novak, Jordan....whats wrong with the picture???

Fields does a lot of good things. The one thing he doesn't do well at all - and this is an understatement - is shoot the ball. That includes his absolutely horrific free throw shooting, and you have to wonder if the guy needs a complete overhaul of his technique. His handle is sub par for a 2 guard, and though he manages to cloak it reasonably well, he is only really capable of being a threat with the ball in his hands (excluding, of course, as a passer) when attacking the rim directly.

On the plus side, he's become a dependable and versatile P&R passer, and he has always been adept at moving off the ball. He has his traits and plays them well, but until he can shoot with a shred of consistency, he deserves his detractors.

Defensively, he's apt. He has a tendency to lose concentration however, and a mistake on his behalf is usually a complete blunder, and we've all seen how Woodson reacts to that: fittingly.

Very interested to see how effective he'll be with Lin back - those 2 play extremely well together.

All in all, as big a fan as I am, Shump should be starting once STAT gets back, IMO. His shot and defense are better, and the offense will run sweeter for a rejuvenated Melo if we can space offensively, and let our defense setup a transition game.

For his salary, Fields is a big plus for this team. Until he finds that shot, however, I understand the frustration and negativity that gets thrown at him. It really is that bad.

I agree Shump needs to start and play major minutes, not least for his defense. But his shooting has been much improved - since entering the starting lineup here are his numbers:

G 9
    Min 38
    Ppg 14.5
    FG pct 45%
    3FG pct 43%
    FT 78%
    Reb 4
    Ast 2.8
    Steals 2

If Lin was still healthy I'd rather start Shump, but since there's no reliable PG I'd rather Shump run the 2nd unit over Bibby or TD so I'd stick with Fields starting.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Landry Fields is Shandon Anderson...without the defense.

I hope we resign Fields and I think the FO will, he will be a decent player for the contract he will receive and is still a decent contributor. Especially if JR bails at the end of the season.

He would be a perfect backup SF but someone needs to have a sit down with the kid and tell him to harden up.

Veteran

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    I hope we resign Fields and I think the FO will, he will be a decent player for the contract he will receive and is still a decent contributor. Especially if JR bails at the end of the season.

He would be a perfect backup SF but someone needs to have a sit down with the kid and tell him to harden up.
    He would only be perfect if he develops an outside shot ...he needs to go back to the drawing board...a job for Larry Johnson and Allan Houston...

yesterdays game Lebron when guarding fields left him open on the outside....no threat at all...

Bad Landry is back the last couple of games. Totally useless except for his rebounding and the occasional backdoor-cut to the basket.

He can't shoot to save his life, his defense is below average, his ball handling is a nightmare, his passing is erratic, free throw shooting in the Dwight Howard/Shaq range and he seems to be afraid of Miami. Everytime we play the Heat his bodylanguage turns into that of a 10-year old school boy.

Man up like Shumpert for christ's sake!

Veteran

Alan Houston needs to work with Fields on his shot, he is working with Shump on developing more arc on his shot and that is exactly what is wrong with Landry's shot esp his FTs, line drive shots that have no chance getting a friendly bounce at the rim. Been hearing that he was working with a coach on his shooting this past off-season, they need to fire that dude and get Houston to work with him and Shump this off-season. Does everyone think he is a lock for the Knicks to sign this off-season. If he ask's for more than a 4M/2 year deal, I would pass on him myself.

First of all, Fields is not even a true SG so we always start off with that handicap. If you don't at least show a threat of hitting shots at that position then it allows the defense to load up on one side more often. I like Fields cutting and driving ability but he NEEDS to shoot well at that position. I think when Amare comes back you move Landry to the bench. He can split time with Novak. Either way, his minutes will be decreased since I'm pretty sure Woodson isn't that high on him no matter what he says.

It angers me when Fields hesitates on a shot attempt or miss wide open shots. Even worse is when he barely hits the rim with his flat no arc shot. If he fades again this postseason, I'm officially done with him.

For those people bashing Walker like he's completely shiit, think agin! Walker wouldn't be needed to carry a heavy load plus he can rebound and play solid defense. He may not pass great or move better than Landry without the ball BUT he is a natural SG and WILL knock down open shots. This threat is needed to spread the defense to allow Amare room to produce.

Originally Posted by YuvalNYC
    I agree with resigning Fields... he's a great, young all around player and he just needs to work on his jump shot.. once he gets that he's gonna be very valuable to our team, even coming off the bench.
    Resigning Fields is a waste of money....he lost his shot and he plays worse when Melo plays for some reason and Melo isnt going anywhere so Fields should be traded or just let go.

Walker needs to get minutes.

Originally Posted by knickscity
    Walker would not have a bigger impact on the game than Fields, well actually he probably would in a negative way.

Walker is just pure garbage, and should have been cut for a pg down the stretch.

Fields issue is his jumper, that's basically it.

Fields doesn't bother me missing free throws, because he is still aggressive and drawing fouls HELPS THE TEAM.

His 2 point Fields goal % is in the top 3 from the guard position, as is his rebounding is top 5, and just outside of top 5 in steals.

I just find it so amazing that people dump on Fields when the team doesn't even have a legit shooting guard on it.
    Bro are you serious right now?

Look at Fields stats....watch him during games....he is usueless...he does nothing besides rebound and Walker can do that.

If Fields can not hit an open shot and can't hit a frigin free throw then it is like playing a big man as your shooting guard/Small Forward. Is Ben Wallace starting for us at SF? Come on bro I can't believe you just stick with Landry after seeing him fade once again near the post season like last year.

He has no arc on his shot, he has no confidence in his shot, his defense is spotty sometimes good and sometimes terrible.

Why is Walker garbage? His defense is only bad at times because he simply fouls too much but besides the fouling, Walker is better in every category.

Walker needs minutes and Fields is over rated and being used too much.