Hollinger, of all people, backs Tyson for DPOY

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
ESPN.com's John Hollinger argues that Tyson Chandler is the frontrunner for Defensive Player of the Year.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when a prominent New York Knicks player was also massively underrated. Yet here we are.

What a refreshing turn of events. For nearly 20 years, the only interesting debate we've had about most Knicks players has been whether they're merely overrated or are phenomenally overrated. That's what happens in the league's biggest market, especially when the fans have been starved for more than a decade of both a superstar player and a consistent winner.

Given those circumstances, I would have thought it impossible for somebody to play well in the league's biggest market yet remain so far outside the hype zone. Yet somehow, one player has managed that feat.

Ask anyone who the Knicks' best player is, and chances are the person won't come up with the right answer until the fourth guess. New York's best player is not as famous as Jeremy Lin nor as glamorous as Carmelo Anthony, nor did he arrive with as much fanfare as Amare Stoudemire.

But as far as winning basketball games? Tyson Chandler is the guy, the one Knick who has proved to be absolutely indispensable in making the team relevant again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/16458/hollinger-tyson-chandler-deserves-dpoy

He'd have to be in strong consideration, but I think that D'Antoni's tenure and the team's points allowed per game average might have it ending up in the lap of Ibaka.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
Agreed.

Tyson embodies what a gritty defender is suppose to be. He's vocal, he leads by example, always gives it his all, plays through injuries and never asks for praise, all he cares about is winning. Speaking of which, all one needs to do is look at our record (0-2) and the stats we give up when hes not playing, to measure his true impact.

My counter to the other favorites would be the following:

Ibaka, although is a very good defender, is purely a stat guy. Hes never asked to contribute offensively, from simple setting the pick and rolling to the basket type of plays, to putbacks. Chandler is a true leader in every sense of the word.

Howard, for one: hes won it too many times, in actuality he can win it every year and really no one should have an argument against it. So simply for the sake of doing it differently, he should be left out.

James is also in the running, this season hes truly dedicated to the defensive end of the court and does everything for the Heat. The only knock against him would be the rest of the Heat team is extremely good on the defensive end, not just him so he shouldnt get all the credit for their defensive success.

KingCharles34

All Star
I like this thread alot. When u take into account our defensive improvement from last year to this year, that alone makes a strong case for him. Theres players with better defensive stats then Chandler but Defense is alot more then stats, the vocal leadership that Chandler brings is something i've only see from one other player (defensively) and thats Kevin Garnot.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
One other thing we can't forget - Tyson has demonstrated his defensive ability against some major stars.

Remember when Dwight Howard dominated the Knicks this season? No? Neither do I, because it never happened, because Tyson ****ed him up!

Paul1355

All Star
I have read Hollinger's articles many times and rarely does he ever show optimism towards the Knicks, to the point were I would easily view him as a hater.

To see him back up Chandler is worth looking at.

Chandler has changed the team from 22nd in defense to 4th. Obviously the defense is a team effort but Chandler is the anchor and was the only one paying defense many times when everyone else was not guarding their man. He is the perfect big man.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Here are some really good articles backing this :

Take your pick: Mike Conley (Grizzlies), Luol Deng (Bulls), Dwight Howard (Magic), Serge Ibaka (Thunder), LeBron James (Heat), Shawn Marion (Mavericks), Chris Paul (Clippers) and Josh Smith (Hawks).

They're all in consideration for Defensive Player of the Year.

But there is one stat that shows why Tyson Chandler should be ahead of them all in the race. In 2010-11, with Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and a few defensive pieces (most notably, Wilson Chandler and Jared Jeffries), the Knicks had a defensive rating of 110.1 (22nd of 30 in the league). This season? 100.3 (fourth).

While all those aforementioned players should be applauded, they were also helping their teams excel defensively last season. Chandler has led the Knicks to the biggest jump in defensive efficiency. Without him, the Knicks don't even crack the top 15. In fact, in the two games Chandler missed this season, on March 7 and 9, the Knicks gave up 118.5 points per game. And they lost both times.

Not only that, but for most of the season Chandler was helping Mike D'Antoni's offensive-minded team make stops, and the Knicks allowed only about 95 points per game. Under Mike Woodson, guess what? They've been holding opponents to 87.8 points per game -- the best mark in the league since March 14, when Woodson replaced D'Antoni.

Of course, a lot of credit goes to the defensive-minded Woodson, the enforcer, who's been with the team since training camp. But the Knicks couldn't have done it without Chandler, the facilitator, who's been as advertised. Blocks (1.5 per game), rebounds (9.8 per game), weakside and pick-and-roll help, active feet, long arms, vocal leadership -- and he's doing it all while playing through pain (groin and left wrist injuries).

Here's a look further into some of the numbers to demonstrate Chandler's defensive impact (entering Friday's play, according to ESPN Stats & Information):
The Knicks allow almost three more points when Chandler isn't on the court, compared to when he's playing (95.5 vs. 93.0).
In pick-and-roll defense guarding the ball handler, Chandler's presence leads to a higher turnover rate and a lower scoring percentage, compared to Jeffries and Josh Harrellson. Turnover percentage: Chandler (22.3.), Jeffries (15.9) and Harrellson (16.4). Scoring percentage: Chandler (35.3), Jeffries (46.0) and Harrellson (36.1).
In pick-and-roll defense guarding the roll man, Chandler's presence leads to fewer points per play, compared to Jeffries and Harrellson. Points per play: Chandler (0.889), Jeffries (1.000) and Harrellson (1.188).
The Knicks allow 4.3 fewer points from a distance of 5 feet when Chandler is on the court. When Jeffries is playing, the Knicks allow 0.7 more points, and when Harrellson is in the game, the Knicks allow 2.8 more points.

While many fans were initially saddened to see Chauncey Billups get amnestied back in December, Chandler has been the all-season-long glue guy. He has helped the team remain consistent on defense through all the injuries, and he will give the Knicks, currently the eighth seed, a better fight in the playoffs no matter who they face.

When the Knicks chose to sign Tyson Chandler in the off-season, they made two crucial decisions.

One, which seemed to haunt the team until the emergence of Jeremy Lin, was to waive starting point guard Chauncey Billups to make room for Chandler. With Mike D?Antoni?s offense dependent on a floor general, the decision to let Billups go was cause for concern.

The other decision, however, was a commitment to changing the defensive culture in New York.

The Knicks have struggled throughout the season to find a consistent offensive rhythm, but that is exactly why their elevated defensive performance has been so important along the way. Chandler, the new defensive anchor, has emerged as a leader, as the team has allowed only 94.7 points per game.

Chandler leads by example, most recently seen in his effort on Dwight Howard. Chandler has shut down the all-star as the Knicks have won two out of three games against the Magic this season. Howard was limited to an average of only 9.3 points during those games. What?s more, Chandler also pestered Howard into committing 5.7 turnovers per game.

Of course, the Magic are plagued by off-the-court distractions, but that in no way discounts Chandler?s impact. Coming off a season in which he won an N.B.A. championship and finished second in Defensive Player of the Year voting, Chandler has picked up where he left off, averaging 9.8 rebounds and 1.5 blocks heading into Thursday?s game.

Chandler not only uses his lengthy frame to alter the play of some of the league?s stronger post players, but also effectively makes use of his fouls by committing them when he is clearly beat. When he?s not able to stop opposing players simply by skill, Chandler makes sure he gives them a challenge, forcing them to make free-throws.

His statistics are not breathtaking, but Chandler makes up for what he lacks on the stat sheet by ensuring that his presence is felt on the court. His importance to the Knicks? defense is worth noting because of where the team has been and where they now expect to go. Chandler?s defensive intensity was enough to help propel the Mavericks? to an N.B.A. title last season and with the Knicks currently facing an array of injuries, they hope that same intensity may be enough to a help the team inch into the playoffs.

Because Chandler is essential to his team?s defensive prowess (not to mention its playoff chances), the case can be made that he is most valuable defensive player in the entire league. Last season, he was an N.B.A. champion. This season, his prize may just be Defensive Player of the Year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/15989/tyson-deserving-of-defensive-player-award

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes....-important-to-the-knicks/?partner=rss&emc=rss

Sage

Rotation player
Chandler is the Knicks MVP and has been all season. I think he is a better individual and help defender than Howard, who is the benchmark for DPOY.

p0nder

Starter
I think Tyson is without a doubt the top DPOY this year. to have the impact that he has had on the Knicks from the top down is amazing. He got Melo and STAT to play defense. He is a defensive captin and barks out orders and assignments on the floor, he blocks shots gets rebounds affects drives in the paint and is an overall defensive presence that has the knicks near the top of the league defensively, all while playing for O'antoni most of the year. That is simply amazing. Since woodsoin had taken over the transformation is complete, Tyson has the respect of everyone on the team, including the captains melo and stat who now play defense because they know they will get an ear-full from the only champion on the team (so far).

I also think that Dwight has to be considered for his efforts this year as well as lebron james who is probably the best two way player ever. Still Tyson embodies defensive leader.

TheScowl

Rookie
I totally agree. I especially love the combination of Chandler manning the middle and Shumpert harassing the opponents best perimeter player. Tough combination.

Tyson for DPOY, Obama for President!

I know this is off-topic, but Mitt '****in' Romney as president???? Come on!

Don't believe the shit the Republicans are throwing at Obama, both Bushes have been way worse in every aspect! Romney is just another rich man seeking for might and power.

Sorry for beeing off-topic.

But yeah, Tyson definitely deserves the DPOY award. Howard wasn't himself this season and with all the negativity he's brought to the Magic off the court...he probably doesn't deserve it. Deng is a good shout, but he'S been injured quite a lot so Tyson is my choice.

skisloper

Starter

Don't believe the shit the Republicans are throwing at Obama, both Bushes have been way worse in every aspect! Romney is just another rich man seeking for might and power.

But yeah, Tyson definitely deserves the DPOY award. Howard wasn't himself this season and with all the negativity he's brought to the Magic off the court...he probably doesn't deserve it. Deng is a good shout, but he'S been injured quite a lot so Tyson is my choice.

Just what KO needs is a political debate...

Tokie420

Benchwarmer

:eek:hboy: oh god....

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer

What the buttf*ck is this?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I forgot who said it, Larry Brown on NBA TV last night, somebody else on there, or somebody else a previous day, he said that he should be in MVP talks. Unless he meant DPOY, that's also something to ponder...

I'm not sure I'd give him MVP, but there sure as heck is a case for DPOY.