Taking a look at our shot location

metrocard

Legend
May not be fair since we're under a new era with Woodson after we exiled D'Antoni but as team this is how we've locatedour shots this season

At Rim - 33%
3-9 FT - 10%
10-15FT - 7%
15-23FT - 20%
Threes - 28%

With that, taking a look at ourField Goal % and 3pt Efficiency Field Goal %

At Rim - 64.2% (top 10, only behind 3%)
3-9 FT - 31% (dead last in the NBA)
10-15FT - 36.8% (22nd in the NBA)
15-23FT - 36% (26nd in the NBA)
Threes - 47% (26nd in the NBA in EFG)

We've been a top 5 defensive team in the NBA, but our offense is ranked 21.

I would like to ask you

What can be the solution here?

In need a PG who can create and assist easier perimeter shots?

Better ball movement to create more opportunities?

Just our players practicing their shooting consistency to be more accurate?

Taking less 3pt shots and more shots at rim close range?

BTW, I did my research and math...under Mike Woodson, we're taking 24.5 3PT shots a game.

Only 3pt shooter we have is Novak. I'm afraid we'll shoot our selves out games if continue take these inaccurate shots.

By the way...Knicks are the worst in the NBA in assisted shots, most of our scoring comes from isolation.

We're in desperate need of a pointguard, more than ANYTHING. Lin may not even be the answer, a Paul/Nash type is needed.

Last edited:
That's what I said: We desperately need a PG! Baron Davis is completely past it and it's more annoying than anything to watch him play. Boy what a player he used to be with the Hornets :cool:

Lin is injured with a quite significant knee injury. He might be the answer at PG for the next 8 years or he might have a BRandon Roy-type career, which means short.
Meniscus is nothing minor, once these issues start they usually don't get better, only worse each year. Doctors can prolong careers with surgery etc. but having weak cartilage in your knees is a genetic thing and the heavy wear from playing ball on a daily basis can blow up knees very very quickly. See Brandon Roy.

Lin having issues after just half a season as a pro is not a good sign and very concerning.

Either way, Lin and Davis aside: We don't have a backup PG. Both Bibby and Douglas are terrible and should not even be on an NBA roster at this point. I'd rather have J.R. Smith playing point than one of those two tbh.

Our no.1 offseason priority should be:

- Renounce Baron Davis.

- Get some clarification on Lin's situation. If the prognosis is positive resign him to a multi-year deal to be our starting PG. If the prognosis is not so good, do a sign and trade cause some team like the Kings or Hornets might sign him for PR only, even if he's walking on one knee :teeth:

- Renounce Bibby and Douglas.

- Identify and sign a decent backup PG either via free agency or the DRaft, in case Lin signs a new deal with us. In case we shop Lin, we should draft one PG as a backup and acquire a new starting PG either via free agency (where we are limited due to our cap situation and might be forced to sign a has-been like Davis again) or via trade. We could trade Amar'e for a PG.

Either way, we got to adress the PG situation in the summer. Right now we look horrible at this position with Lin out. Two has-beens and one never- will-be.

Fortunately SG seems to be set for the next years with Shump coming into his own. That'S one thing less to worry about.

fender0577

Rotation player
May not be fair since we're under a new era with Woodson after we exiled D'Antoni but as team this is how we've locatedour shots this season

At Rim - 33%
3-9 FT - 10%
10-15FT - 7%
15-23FT - 20%
Threes - 28%

With that, taking a look at ourField Goal % and 3pt Efficiency Field Goal %

At Rim - 64.2% (top 10, only behind 3%)
3-9 FT - 31% (dead last in the NBA)
10-15FT - 36.8% (22nd in the NBA)
15-23FT - 36% (26nd in the NBA)
Threes - 47% (2nd in the NBA in EFG)

We've been a top 5 defensive team in the NBA, but our offense is ranked 21.

I would like to ask you

What can be the solution here?

In need a PG who can create and assist easier perimeter shots?We have that in LIN, he just needs to lower his TO'S, and we'll be good.

Better ball movement to create more opportunities?Always a good thing.

Just our players practicing their shooting consistency to be more accurate?

Taking less 3pt shots and more shots at rim close range?Bingo, in the playoffs, you have to get as many easy looks as possible.

BTW, I did my research and math...under Mike Woodson, we're taking 24.5 3PT shots a game.

Only 3pt shooter we have is Novak. I'm afraid we'll shoot our selves out games if continue take these inaccurate shots.

By the way...Knicks are the worst in the NBA in assisted shots, most of our scoring comes from isolation.

We're in desperate need of a pointguard, more than ANYTHING. Lin may not even be the answer, a Paul/Nash type is needed.
I don't know, i think lin can be the answer, if he tightens up a few things, he has the size, heart, and smarts(Damn i sounded like Clyde), to be a very good PG, for years to come.This is why we'll need STAT back to form, if we plan on doing anything this year, we'll need that strength inside, to help open the floor, for our shooters.:gony:

p0nder

Starter
PG play is essential to this game. We don't set up enough downlow and i'd like to see tyson get more shots. I think a player like Nash who drops 3's and makes crisp passes is the best answer, but perhaps Lin can live up to the hype and learn to be that kind of leader we need.

Kiyaman

Legend
Is it the PG? no no no
Lin-Sanity had no practice with the lineups given to him to win 5 games in 8 days....it was Lin's creative ability on offense to become Lin-Sanity.
No coaching-plays were given to Lin-Sanity throughout a 7 game win streak.
No coaching-plays were given to Lin-Sanity to run with Stat or Melo when they return to the lineup.
We just hired our ex-PG Darrel Walker to our coaching-staff, lets hope he can do something about our PG situation.

The Knicks still has not created a system through the PG callin plays....the last time the Knicks ran a system through the PG was with Charlie Ward.
Woody coaching career of running a team by plays drawn up through the PG is questionable (in Atlanta SG-Joe Johnson ran the offense at crunchtime. in Detroit coach Larry Brown & Woody won a Championship title from Rick Carlisle hard work of building a winning playoff starting lineup (Big Ben won the Defensive-player each season under headcoach Rick Carlisle).

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think Lin is absolutely the answer to our problem. He can individually be the man that adds that 10-15 feet mark that has to improve. That penetration game of his can't be overlooked, the issue with it is that it doesn't compliment Carmelo, and considering his turnaround that may be a reason for concern.

What I've noticed in games, is that we often run a spacing system very similar to D'antoni's, but it's been adjusted to accommodate Melo as the focal - successfully - as it should have been.

We're fluctuating between playing 2 games, and the numbers reflect it.

If you watch the baseline, you can see that we still run the corner 3 but there have been tweaks that are designed to fake out the defense. This is one of many bastardized versions of what D'Antoni left behind, and, if you think about it, we're still somewhat lost in his wake: fluctuating, as I have said.

Regardless of whether or not we're still adjusting to it, a lack of practice and a coaching makeover are guaranteed to leave holes, but we've managed to be successful because of Carmelo, and our reenergized defense.

Being the worst in assisted shots, as far as I have seen it, is because we lacked a PG for so long, and are playing catch-up, yet again, without a PG that can consistently provide for our scorers. I would like to see what that tally was throughout Linsanity, because I've no doubt there'll be a comparative disparity. Good luck finding that stat sheet, though.

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy⑧s;227657 said:
I think Lin is absolutely the answer to our problem. He can individually be the man that adds that 10-15 feet mark that has to improve. That penetration game of his can't be overlooked, the issue with it is that it doesn't compliment Carmelo, and considering his turnaround that may be a reason for concern.

What I've noticed in games, is that we often run a spacing system very similar to D'antoni's, but it's been adjusted to accommodate Melo as the focal - successfully - as it should have been.

We're fluctuating between playing 2 games, and the numbers reflect it.

If you watch the baseline, you can see that we still run the corner 3 but there have been tweaks that are designed to fake out the defense. This is one of many bastardized versions of what D'Antoni left behind, and, if you think about it, we're still somewhat lost in his wake: fluctuating, as I have said.

Regardless of whether or not we're still adjusting to it, a lack of practice and a coaching makeover are guaranteed to leave holes, but we've managed to be successful because of Carmelo, and our reenergized defense.

Being the worst in assisted shots, as far as I have seen it, is because we lacked a PG for so long, and are playing catch-up, yet again, without a PG that can consistently provide for our scorers. I would like to see what that tally was throughout Linsanity, because I've no doubt there'll be a comparative disparity. Good luck finding that stat sheet, though.

I did not see Melo make one effort towards complimenting Lin style of play....this is why so many peeps jumped on the long-line of bashin-Melo.
It took Stat two games to realize followin Lin leads to wins.
Baron Davis wasted no time at adding his creative veteran experience to keep Lins flow alive.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I did not see Melo make one effort towards complimenting Lin style of play....this is why so many peeps jumped on the long-line of bashin-Melo.
It took Stat two games to realize followin Lin leads to wins.
Baron Davis wasted no time at adding his creative veteran experience to keep Lins flow alive.

I disagree.

Melo's strength isn't predicated on a run and gun system and he suffered for it by the way he tried to compliment Lin and Antoni's style of play. Stat had no choice but to adapt since he NEEDS a pg to facilitate his game. Melo doesn't require a PG setting him up to be effective.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I think as of now our only glaring need is at PG. All the other positions are well covered and if anything maybe small upgrades at the backup PF and C positions which shouldn't be difficult to find.

Novak, Melo and Smith are all capable 3 pt shooters. Lin isn't bad either. We'll have Lin and TD for next season but I doubt Davis returns. We all know TD is useless at pg and therefore I expect the team to scout heavily for a 2nd round pg prospect. Most of the decent unrestricted PGs next year are worth more than we can offer them (vet min). I still think Davis has more game left but his nagging injuries probably won't let him continue on a high level.

Either way, looking at how efficient we've been with Woodson so far, I think next season we'll start off good enough to maintain a top 4 seed. There's just more consistency with Woodson controlling things.

CA7

Scoring Champ
We need a floor general, someone like Chauncey Billups who fits exceptionally well with the current team. Lin is too ball dominant and doesn't control the game the way I feel we should. We've found our identity, inside-out, power basketball.

Goran Dragic, Raymond Felton are available

BUT I think Iman Shumpert can be that for us, I keep saying Anthony/Shumpert=Durant/Westbrook..........Shumpert just needs more time for practice to watch film and see where he messes up but Shumpert in my opinion is who Woody really wants at PG

metrocard

Legend
Felton is horrible...

Dragic is good, but he's really not that much different from Lin, Dragic shoots better.

This is pertaining to our shot selection, Melo has to eventually compliment his teammates because he can't do it by himself. Kevin Durant doesn't mind sharing the ball with Harden and Westbrook, even though he's the most prolific scorer in the NBA...I don't see why can't Melo with the other guys...but very logically ...we need to take better shots.

We take the most random shots sometimes...seriously.

CA7

Scoring Champ
yeah we do and Melo does not mind his teammates shooting, when he iso's the 1st thing he does is look for cutters and open guys, OKC has the personal they need for their offense, we're still a work in progress and have yet to find proper stability

Potentially losing JR, Fields, Novak, Lin or Davis will hurt

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Felton is horrible...

Dragic is good, but he's really not that much different from Lin, Dragic shoots better.

This is pertaining to our shot selection, Melo has to eventually compliment his teammates because he can't do it by himself. Kevin Durant doesn't mind sharing the ball with Harden and Westbrook, even though he's the most prolific scorer in the NBA...I don't see why can't Melo with the other guys...but very logically ...we need to take better shots.

We take the most random shots sometimes...seriously.

Dragics game is all around more polished and I think he's a better passer but thats probably from his first few years under Nash. I'd personally like him as a Knick.

And Melo does do a decent job of sharing the ball for someone thats as great of a scorer also. Not saying he couldn't do a better job but you making it seem like Durant is a better play maker than Melo and Melo doesn't try to move the ball at all.

TheScowl

Rookie
?......
And Melo does do a decent job of sharing the ball for someone thats as great of a scorer also. Not saying he couldn't do a better job but you making it seem like Durant is a better play maker than Melo and Melo doesn't try to move the ball at all.

durant and melo average an identical 3.5 assist per game. Fwiw.

Durant plays 4 minutes more, also has more TO (3.7 to 2.6).

And that's in an MVP type year w a great supporting cast...

KingCharles34

All Star
Very interesting stats, i didnt know we were that efficient when we attack the rim. Alotta that is Chandler i bet, i wouldnt mind running a few more pick and rolls a game for him. But we do need a point guard, and since Baron will be gone after this year if we can bring in Nash even for just a year, to have him school Lin...that would work to perfection in my opinion.

Lin learns like a sponge, hes one of those types of athletes. I dont know if theres a point guard who can teach Lin more the Nash, Lin already does some things very well considering his lack of experience. But he will learn and get much, much better

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Very interesting stats, i didnt know we were that efficient when we attack the rim. Alotta that is Chandler i bet, i wouldnt mind running a few more pick and rolls a game for him. But we do need a point guard, and since Baron will be gone after this year if we can bring in Nash even for just a year, to have him school Lin...that would work to perfection in my opinion.

Lin learns like a sponge, hes one of those types of athletes. I dont know if theres a point guard who can teach Lin more the Nash, Lin already does some things very well considering his lack of experience. But he will learn and get much, much better
I dont see it happening. Most likely, Lin will get his 5 mil/yr contract next year, and Knicks just dont have the cap space to acquire Nash. He is making 11 mil this year and how much less will Nash settle for? At 38, he is certainly shooting for at least a 2-year contract as a free agent. He would rather retire with the Suns before he is willing to settle for vet minimum. If a ring means so much to him, he wouldve never stuck around Phoenix for so long.

metrocard

Legend
Dragics game is all around more polished and I think he's a better passer but thats probably from his first few years under Nash. I'd personally like him as a Knick.

Dragic is just most experienced, you're guessing too much on his game...Dragic is actually a really good player, imagine Bob Sura in his prime with better shooting. We have Lin and Shumpert, so we don't need Dragic. I honestly can assess all three players at an equal level...no one is really better than each other drastically or even by a small margin. All quality young two way guards. My only probably with Lin is his shooting efficiency. Its not good, but he's not that experienced so its unfair to judge him yet. Give him a training camp, preseason and a summer of practice, he may come back a better man. Even though if you check the STATS...Lin has been our 2nd best outside shooter behind Novak all season....that just means our team has been poor in shooting majority of the season. We're picking it up though. Smith is getting in rhythm and Novak is entering in his Super Sayan form.

Yea, but if you had the choice between Melo or Durant who are you picking? Durant is the best and most efficient scorer in the NBA and he hasn't even touched his prime yet, he literally improved in every part of his game (especially his handles and defense)....played like a MVP all season long...the comparison is not close right now even with Melo's great play of late. It's Durant.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend

Yea, a lot of Chandler and Amare inside.