JVG goes beastmode on Mike Breen

Sage

Rotation player
Ugh, I agree with every word of JVG, the flopping is just ridiculous in the NBA.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Props for getting the video. I completely side with JVG, flopping is a joke and it's really becoming NBA mainstream this season.

I like the idea of the 'tech foul' system for flops, Griffin especially looks like a damn soccer player out there.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Flopping, technicals for trash talking/clapping hands/disagreeing, star calls and rookie calls - that's what kills the game.

I like the idea of the 'tech foul' system for flops, Griffin especially looks like a damn soccer player out there.
That's why there are yellow cards for flopping in soccer (kind of technical).

Jeff is still the man. I enjoyed every bit of his commentary on sunday.

Mike Breen is such a Lebron/Miami fanboy, it's cringeworthy.

Jeff openly admitted that he still hates the Heat before the game started. Huge props to him for doing that on national telly - takes some balls.

He rooted hard for us all game, while Breen was on Lebron's nuts all day...

Jeff for HC again please. Nothing against Woodson, decent coach and I like him, but Jeff is Jeff - I'd take him back any day.

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Jeff is still the man. I enjoyed every bit of his commentary on sunday.

Mike Breen is such a Lebron/Miami fanboy, it's cringeworthy.

Jeff openly admitted that he still hates the Heat before the game started. Huge props to him for doing that on national telly - takes some balls.

He rooted hard for us all game, while Breen was on Lebron's nuts all day...

Jeff for HC again please. Nothing against Woodson, decent coach and I like him, but Jeff is Jeff - I'd take him back any day.

Such a BS Flop, players should be fined to being pussies like that, this is a big boys league if you fall and cry like a bitch 1 game suspension!

JVG for Coach anyday!

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I think it's because the refs are really sold on the flop. At the initial moment someone flops, refs have the tendency to call offensive foul. It's almost as if they are trained to do so. Jeff Van Gundy is one of the few to express his feelings on what he knows is BS. Breen is not in the business of making opinionated comments. He wants to be "safe," I guess.

I wholeheartedly agree with VG. Even when I played in basketball on the HS and college levels, I never remembered this many floppers in the sport. I don't blame the players for flopping. If they are getting rewarded, they will continue to do it. I blame the refs and the league. So many pussies in the game, it's beyond pathetic.

Last edited:
I never liked flopping, it's cheap ball. This play envolving Shump was a game breaker, clearly a BS call.

At one time, the Knicks had a master of the flop in Gallo, and this is one of the main reasons why I disliked him. There is no room for this crap in the NBA. I don't think I can ever respect any player that uses this as part of his game. ATM, I can't even recall the WNBA using these extremes to get the refs to help them out.

KingCharles34

All Star
Van Gundy is that dude...I've always worried about him getting himself fired from ABC/ESPN but it hasnt happened yet. Hes the definition of real, Breen is a fake hating ass cornball.

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
I don't think fines would work.

What we could have is each team gets one or two "flop challenges" per game where all the refs would have to video review the "flop" being challenged. All refs must agree that the "flop" is questionable, and then the foul would be nullified.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Flopping, technicals for trash talking/clapping hands/disagreeing, star calls and rookie calls - that's what kills the game.

That's why there are yellow cards for flopping in soccer (kind of technical).

Actually that's not such a bad idea, having cards similar to soccer, 2 strikes and your out. If you get say 10 first strikes in a season your suspended etc.
Thoughts?

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Actually that's not such a bad idea, having cards similar to soccer, 2 strikes and your out. If you get say 10 first strikes in a season your suspended etc.
Thoughts?

isnt a red card equivalent to a flagrant 2? i think fines is the way to go, just cuz the refs make a bad call, the games should be reviewed after and any flop that was really extreme should result in a fine. Refs are human and Players have become excellent actors(bitches) we should'nt blame the refs fully blame David Stern for allowing it to get this bad.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
yea but thats where you start getting into the grey area of being able to fully police this shyt.
if im james jones, im a scrub, i might not have a contract next season, 5k means alot to me , so i dont wanna flop. but if micki arrison (heat owner) comes and says, yo, dont worry bout the fine, i got you (under the table of course), my ass would be flopping all game cuz the owner is picking up the tab and i get in his good graces and can possibly get a good contract cuz the owner likes me.
i think flops should be reviewable, during the game (lets say last 2 min of each quarter) and result in a tech, not a fine, but a tech cuz a single point could be the difference between a loss and win. then these guys would think twice before flopping (im looking at you manu and battier)

isnt a red card equivalent to a flagrant 2? i think fines is the way to go, just cuz the refs make a bad call, the games should be reviewed after and any flop that was really extreme should result in a fine. Refs are human and Players have become excellent actors(bitches) we should'nt blame the refs fully blame David Stern for allowing it to get this bad.

p0nder

Starter
I think most charges are "flops". I've played a lot of ball and unless i want to fall, i'm usually not going down with my feet planted. A lot of NBA players are bigger and stronger then I am. Jones for example is a pretty athletic and strong guy. It would take a bigger guy like a STAT or Tyson, going hard, to really knock him off his feet like that.

I think that the game is fine the way it is, we don't need yellow cards and such. Just call more blocking fouls then shitty flopping charges and we're good. BTW. Jefferies took a "charge" in this game too and I stood up and said "great play giraffe" But it was also an "iffy" call. I just thought "That's a veteran play by a savy and smart player". I think JVG even commented on that too!

CA7

Scoring Champ
I dont think the charges are the problem, you're told to fall and get the call but the plays like James Jones falling on his ass dramatically become a problem.

Chris Webber said he would take out charges lmao imagine that

Reggie Miller would add a ref working the monitors to confirm calls like flops, remember the ref who called the Jones flop only seen the fall as he was watching Novak's feet to make sure it was a 3, if the additional ref was watching the play from the monitor he could overturn the call and give us back our 3

There are a few ways to fix this, the NBA and NBPA need to get together and fix this

jimkcchief88

All Star
That call was terrible and was a game changer in my book. That being said, I don't know how you can police it. It's a "grey area" like was pointed out above. i think drawing a charge as an outta control player goes to the rim is one thing. That WWF overreaction from a bow or forearm to clear space is quite another. Reggie Miller was famous for those antics. He would crowd a guy on defense, then go flying ten feet if the guy made a move to create space. No place in the game for all that nonsense.