JR Smith expected to test free agency

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
http://www.dailyknicks.com/j-r-smith-will-test-free-agency-this-off-season/3075/2012/04/19

Sad but not all that unexpected, kind of hoped he'd be loyal and stay, with his increased role and Woodson's confidence in him.

Isn't meant to be that smart with his money though.

SmithT310.jpg

Last edited:
Typical J.R. move if true. Woodson treated him like a son here and all he cares about is money. Well that'S the business, but still disappointed. :cool:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
What's up with guys evoking this 'loyalty' shit?

Guys in the league are loyal to only one thing, the cash dollar money.

Go JR, Go! I know he can get more than the 2.5m$ he's pulling with Knicks.

fender0577

Rotation player
What did ya'll expect him to do, he's got to feed his family, you can only play for so long.There's no loyalty in sports, on both ends, if someone offered you more money than your jobs are paying you, what would you do?It's the right move JR, get payed.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Im kind of disappointed because he is a good 6th man and previously said he wanted to stay here and was happy with his role.
Also saw the rumour on Bleacher Report, not that they are ever much to go by.

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Im kind of disappointed because he is a good 6th man and previously said he wanted to stay here and was happy with his role.
Also saw the rumour on Bleacher Report, not that they are ever much to go by.

i wont miss him, we gotta spend more effort developing shump and teaching landry how to shoot whether we keep him or just build up some trade value. JR is a distraction to himself and a his team, this is a business and these guys dont play for free, 2.5 mil for a player of his caliber is about 3 - 4 mil short.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
He has every right to test Free agency as does any player in the NBA, i would rather he stayed but he's his own man he has his choices.

I honestly think he stays... He gets to play with his boy Melo & woodson has the utmost trust in him and he knows that.

Has JR touched the ball & controlled the ball (no homo) as much as he did in this short time with the Knicks than he did with Denver, the man basically has freedom to do what he wants out there him & melo have the ultimate green light i just cant see him walking away from this role + he's close to home...whats not to love but knowing JR Job security and money>>>>having fun in NY lol

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Typical J.R. move if true. Woodson treated him like a son here and all he cares about is money. Well that'S the business, but still disappointed. :cool:

I don't know if you're aware, but 99% of these playes make moves based on money. Our two stars did it before him so I'm not sure what you mean by "typical J.R. move".

I agree he's in a nice situation here with his role and a team that WILL be one of the top teams next season. BUT we can all agree that he is being underpaid by a good amount. We're talkin underpaid by about 3-5 million! I'm sure if he took the player option the team would give him the multiyear deal he wants next year but you can't really trust that if you're him.

Hate to lose him but that's the business of the NBA.

If we play well in the playoffs... I expect him to stay at least another year. I know Melo had a big part in bringing him here so I expect other guys on the team to leave before J.R. does.

Kiyaman

Legend
Media rumors

I dont see JR going anywhere, his deal in NY is to sweet for him to make any sudden moves....I dont see Walker, Bibby, or Davis returning to NY next season....how we are going to resign Lin, Novak, Fields, Jefferies, and a decent FA PG & FA bigman? I dont know how? but....it will be done to enhance (please) Melo/Stat/Tyson this offseason.

I was so frustrated over the long lock-out with all the player-hater rules added by Stern's under the table dealin with the cheap-owners....I didnt bother to read any of the new CBA rules set for the next decade.
Im expecting all of the big $money$ rollin owner$$$ to break every one of the new CBA's rules throughout the next 3 seasons....its call $$$money$$$ TALKS...

The foolish writer who wrote this article is clueless of Minny coach Adelman, he will not let JR interupt the great season job Rubio & Love been doing to make the team into playoff contenders.
The writer also forgot CP3 had JR kick off the Hornets....The Orlando Magic will be a big mystery question mark next season.

CA7

Scoring Champ
He gotta do whats best for him and his family...........which is staying in New York getting bird rights and getting a fat contract from James Dolan

I'd rather keep him than Landry and Lin(both are so fukking overrated its funny) but its unlikely

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
I dont think any playoff bound player with any decent IQ will talk about his contract at this crucial time of the year. Nothing is confirmed in the article. The writer used words like, "chances look slim....Smith is expected...blah blah." Many of the KOers couldve written a better article than that!

Some of the NYC sportswriters really have nothing better to write but feed poison to the Knicks fans.

tiger0330

Legend
Did anybody think otherwise, he intentionally structured his deal to give him and out. Please stop with the Woody treated him like a son garbage as a reason for him to stay. :boohoo:

I would love to bring back this entire team next year and see what Woody or another real coach could do with them with an entire off season program. We'd probably win 60 games easy...

yes sir!! The Knicks are deep they just wasn't used right. Now that Woody's in charge they are playing to their strengths and most of all...letting the defense open up their offense.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
He gotta do whats best for him and his family...........which is staying in New York getting bird rights and getting a fat contract from James Dolan

I'd rather keep him than Landry and Lin(both are so fukking overrated its funny) but its unlikely

We are cut from the same cloth bro my feelings 100%

Kiyaman

Legend

Lin & Fields co-exist to damn well on both ends of the court to put JR Smith in front of either for playingtime, or in front of Shump for playingtime.

JR Smith's veteran experience (8 seasons) does not show up for every game, he's a career 24 minute playingtime player, who inconsistency, poor defense, and nonco-existence with teammates has held him back....when he's hot he wins games in regular season, when he's cold first round knockout.

How do we know that website is a reliable source? I've never even heard of it. Seems like it's simply someone's opinion. It might be true, it might not. I wouldn't put much stock into it either way.