Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amare and Melo

Originally Posted by CA7
    I expect you to know more, what was the real problem between the two of them
    The real prob stemmed originally from the personality differences Kobe being more reserved and serious with Shaq being out going and comical. They never had issues about who should be getting more touches or things on the court but Kobe did have an issue with Shaq's work ethic and coming in to camp out of shape and let it be known to Shaq. And Shaq being the leader took offense to that and called Kobe out for disrespecting him.

It was not Kobe wanting more shots and being jealous of Shaq or Shaq not wanting to give Kobe more shots and being selfish. It wasn't basketball reasons they just really didn't like each other on a personal level at the time.

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    The real prob stemmed originally from the personality differences Kobe being more reserved and serious with Shaq being out going and comical. They never had issues about who should be getting more touches or things on the court but Kobe did have an issue with Shaq's work ethic and coming in to camp out of shape and let it be known to Shaq. And Shaq being the leader took offense to that and called Kobe out for disrespecting him.

It was not Kobe wanting more shots and being jealous of Shaq or Shaq not wanting to give Kobe more shots and being selfish. It wasn't basketball reasons they just really didn't like each other on a personal level at the time.
    damn shame, Kobe and Shaq would have like 7 rings if not for that non-sense

Turns out Kobe was right though, I honestly think as dominate Shaq was, Kobe has had a way better career

what do you think

Veteran

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan

It had more to do with the "Glove" and "Mailman" replacing Rick Fox & Horry's average 6 shot attempt (each) per game....Shaq automatically will receive his average 15 shot attempts by being the #1 unstopple low post-up centers in the league....Kobe had to depend on a 15 shot attempt "Glove" givin him the ball, rather than the "Glove" averaging the majority of his 12 assist per game off of alley-oops to Shaq & Mailman.
    Shaq leadership told Kobe in so many ways to stop acting like a BABY....Phil Jax wrote indirectly in his book in so many chapters "some time u have to let MEN settle certain things on their own".

Kobe >> Snaq O'Meal

I think our biggest problem under Woodson is not how Amare and Melo can co-exist, because as many have noted, we can work out a system where Amare feeds off Melo's Iso.

I think the biggest problem is that Chandler and Amare have trouble sharing the paint. From what little I saw when they play together, there is very little spacing in the paint with both of them up front, and so we take a ton of jumpshots.

Another problem is that Amare can't defend. And so whenever Chandler is not up there we have a big gaping hole in the paint for penetrations and post ups.

So our choice becomes: do we go with chandler more and give up the offensive power or Amare, or do we go with Amare and jeopardize our defense.

I personally think Amare is completely unsuited for our current team lineup and defensive-oriented system. Not because he's a bad player, on the contrary - he's so dominant up front and needs space to operate and take advantage of his opponent's D.

To conclude, for the remaining games I would alternate between Stat and Tyson depending on the situation.

In the offseason, I'd look into trading Stat for a more jumpshot oriented PF, that can be a better defender, i believe it's possible. Don't forget that we need the capspace too.

Originally Posted by lookgrabpull
    I think our biggest problem under Woodson is not how Amare and Melo can co-exist, because as many have noted, we can work out a system where Amare feeds off Melo's Iso.

I think the biggest problem is that Chandler and Amare have trouble sharing the paint. From what little I saw when they play together, there is very little spacing in the paint with both of them up front, and so we take a ton of jumpshots.

Another problem is that Amare can't defend. And so whenever Chandler is not up there we have a big gaping hole in the paint for penetrations and post ups.

So our choice becomes: do we go with chandler more and give up the offensive power or Amare, or do we go with Amare and jeopardize our defense.

I personally think Amare is completely unsuited for our current team lineup and defensive-oriented system. Not because he's a bad player, on the contrary - he's so dominant up front and needs space to operate and take advantage of his opponent's D.

To conclude, for the remaining games I would alternate between Stat and Tyson depending on the situation.

In the offseason, I'd look into trading Stat for a more jumpshot oriented PF, that can be a better defender, i believe it's possible. Don't forget that we need the capspace too.
    I think you make some good points here. It reminds me how Z Randolph and Gasol have no problem playing with each other because they have good spacing in the post. Amare and Tyson could work but i'd be lying if I said I didn't want the team to explore trade opportunites for Amare. His contract is going to kill us in 1-2 years when he totally breaks down.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    It had more to do with the "Glove" and "Mailman" replacing Rick Fox & Horry's average 6 shot attempt (each) per game....Shaq automatically will receive his average 15 shot attempts by being the #1 unstopple low post-up centers in the league....Kobe had to depend on a 15 shot attempt "Glove" givin him the ball, rather than the "Glove" averaging the majority of his 12 assist per game off of alley-oops to Shaq & Mailman.
    Shaq leadership told Kobe in so many ways to stop acting like a BABY....Phil Jax wrote indirectly in his book in so many chapters "some time u have to let MEN settle certain things on their own".
    Payton and Malon accelerated and increased their beef but it started before that 03-04 season, that was just the breaking point.

And yes I do think Kobe will retire with the better career outta the two.

And a trade for STAT is not happening and your not got gonna get a star PF back as good as Amare is nobody's gonna take that risk. And let's see what kind of job Woodson can do to get these two guys to gel with more time before we say STAT doesn't fit or anything like that he does fit, a month ago it was Melo who doesn't fit lets finally stop jumping to conclusions and sit back and just see what happens.

Veteran

Default Stat is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Get over it......
    Stat's contract, past knee surgery, and all these ailing injuries popin up makes Stat a Knicks 2013-14 season.

If u want Stat back to his super-star status gellin with his teammates do what headcoach Gentry would do if he had Woody's job....train two decent F/C to backup Tyson Chandler & Stat.

Trying to make Stat & Melo play defense consistently is a waste of time and good energy....the two already received their final big contract in the NBA.