Sundov to start?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
One day after hinting that Vin Baker might be pushing Nazr Mohammed for the Knicks' starting center job, coach Lenny Wilkens surprised both of them by starting 7-2 Croatian Bruno Sundov in the middle in a disappointing 113-89 exhibition loss to Utah last night at Delta Center.

It's hard to imagine this move amounting to much more than a kick in the pants for Mohammed and Baker, but Sundov has a feathery jump shot that has intrigued several coaches before Wilkens. The Knicks, who signed Sundov to a 10-day contract last season, are the fifth NBA team for which Sundov has played.

He had limited success with Indiana when Knicks president Isiah Thomas was coaching the Pacers, which explains why he's in New York with a solid second chance to at least stick on the 15-man roster. He was limited last night, too, scoring four points and grabbing three rebounds in 18 minutes.

"Bruno works hard in practice, and he's a big guy who can shoot the ball," Wilkens said yesterday. "We want to see him in an up-and-down situation and see what he looks like. He's not a banger, but he can score. You can't slough off and not guard him."

http://www.knicksonline.com/getart.php?id=1376

newmove

Rotation player
Sundov? No way he's gonna start over Nazr and Vin! Maybe Lenny wanted to give some motivation for those two by starting Bruno over them?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
let's not forget it was just a preseason game and all the players must be tested. the result is not as important as the player's efficiency is

Trin_Starr

Starter
Nazr's job at center has been horrendous. The dude can't stay in the game because he picks up such stupid fouls. Last night's game he picked up 3 fouls in 7mins!
I also went to the Open Practice at MSG and he really didn't look good there either

It's good that Sundov started last night's game to show both Nazr and baker that they don't have their positions locked down

newmove

Rotation player
That's exactly what I was talking about!
Seems like those guys think they don't have to work their butts off to stay in the game. Why do they all take it for granted? NYK is a different type of a team, you can't hope you're gonna have big minutes without working out hard. And those two (especially Nazr) think they don't have to do that.

KNICKSCALI

Benchwarmer
I agree with rady's comment, it is preseason, just because you start one game doesn't mean you a full time starter. But newmove was right, we need someone that can go out there and play. I think it's safe to say we all know what are position is are weakest link for are beloved knicks.

damm dampier, why'd he have to go sign with dallas