Carmelo Anthony Chronicle

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]"It is easier to talk about money -- and much easier to talk about sex -- than it is to talk about power. People who have it deny it; people who want it do not want to appear to hunger for it; and people who engage in its machinations do so secretly."[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]-- Smiley Blanton[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Aug 2010-Feb 2011[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo Anthony was the biggest and longest saga in NBA. The Nets wanted Anthony, but Anthony wouldn't take the extension if traded to the Nets or another team other than Knicks. It was Knicks or no extension.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Feb, 2011[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo got his wish and joined the Knicks, even though Knicks had the fewest tradable assets. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Mike D?Antoni wasn?t in favor of the move.The reason was obvious: Anthony is simply not the kind of player who works well in D?Antoni?s floor-spreading, pick-and-roll offense. Knicks already second in the league in offense.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]At the time, Stoudemire was second in the league in scoring at 26.1 points per game and Anthony was sixth at 25.2. Stoudemire was thrilled to add Anthony. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Stoudemire on the trade:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]"Every team needs a 1, 1A punch, and so with the ways that we both can score .... we're very versatile, so it's hard to guard us."[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Stoudemire said he had "no doubt" the All-Star forwards and longtime friends could play together, and said Anthony would handle the move to New York as well as he has.? "It's what he wants. It's what I wanted, to come to New York and play on the big stage,"[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Karl George on Billups after the trade:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]"I think Chauncey will go down as one ofthe greatest winners," Karl said. "His record of seven or eight conference finals is, I mean, that's incredible. I think that's who he is,that's what he stands for. He brought one of them to us. Last year we had a miserable ending. I think there?re many people, including myself, that will be sad for Chauncey. I know he loves Denver and we love him, but things happen. There's decisions that have to be made."[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Karl, with more than 900 wins as an NBA coach, never known to criticize his departure players, even when he buttheaded with Ray Allen. George Karl on Carmelo after the trade:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]"[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif] Melo is the best offensive player I?ve ever coached, but his defensive[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif] focus, his demand of himself, is what frustrated us more than anything." [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo on George Karl?s comment, "WHENTHE GRASS IS CUT THE SNAKES WILL SHOW."[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Feb 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]The Knicks flourished when Jeremy Lin arrived on the scene, winning 10 of 13 games when Linsanity took over the team. Lin became the center of attention and Carmelo was out of the spot light.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]J. R. Smith, a close friend and a long-time teammate with Carmelo, signed with Knicks.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo on co-existence with Lin:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]"He fell down from upstairs for us in the situation that we've been looking for a guy to take over that position. But it's going to take a lot of work, but I'm willing to do it, and we've all got to be willing to do it."[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]?When I get back, Jeremy will have the ball in his hands and I?m playing off that?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]As soon as Carmelo came back from a groin injury during Linsanity, D?Antoni started to lose the team. [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]? It is lost on no one that the Knicks' free-fallcoincides precisely with the return of Anthony. While Anthony was out with a groin injury, the Knicks won 6 of 7 games, including victories over the Los Angeles Lakers and defending champion Dallas Mavericks. With Lin leading D'Antoni's offense, the Knicks played fast and free, spacing the floor, hitting the open man, and even improving defensively.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]But the day Anthony returned, the Knicks lost to the struggling New Jersey Nets, starting a sorry stretch that has washed away all the feel-good emotions of Lin's emergence and left them on the verge of missing theplayoffs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Management, the coaching staff and the players know Anthonyis hurting the offense and in turn, the defensive morale, according to the sources. While D'Antoni's offense calls for Anthony to plant himself on thewing at the 3-point line, he often creeps in to his favorite spot in the floor-- the area between the elbow, the arc and the post. That kills the Knicks' ability to run the high pick-and-roll and ruins the spacing that is so critical to D'Antoni's offense.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]"That's at the very core of our problem," one person close to the situation said. "That messes up the fluidity of the offense..."[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]When Anthony first returned -- and it still appears to be the case -- Lin would bring the ball upcourt and try to run D'Antoni's system.When Anthony would abandon the offense, Lin would not pass him the ball, which irritated Anthony, sources said. So when Lin tried to talk to Anthony on the court, Anthony would turn his back to the point guard and tune him out. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7684157/mike-dantoni-lost-new-york-knicks-locker-room-according-sources[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo in Feb averaged 2.8 DRB in 31.5 Min/game, lowest in his career.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Mar 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Knicks lost 6 straight and accelerated the resignation/firing of D?Antoni. [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo told a confidant he wanted to be traded. D?Antoni resigned/fired the very next day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Woodson took over. Magically Carmelo started to play good defense. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Apr 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo named Player of the Month in Apriland made Woodson looked like a genius and D?Antoni a goat.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo exerting influence with the front office by openly stated [FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]that he was a big supporter of Woodson and that he wants him back for the 2012-13.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]J.R. Smith on Woodson:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]"Over and over, (Woodson) keeps showing his confidence in me. I have to step up and make shots. Coach gives confidence to keep shooting no matter how many I miss."[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Playoffs 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Despite lost Game 1 and losing in Game 2, Woodson still adamant about sticking to his game plan: Lots of isolations for Carmelo and Smith.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Woodson refused using Stoudemire as play options, no designed pick-and-rolls where Stoudemire is most dangerous and received very few touches. Nor Woodson designed any screens to get Novak open. In frustration after Game 2, Stoudemire smashed and cut his hand badly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Game 2:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Carmelo, 45 min, 26 FGA[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Stoudemire, 41 min, 9 FGA[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]J. R. Smith, 31 min, 11 FGA[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]In 3 playoff games, Carmelo and Smith accounted for more than 50% of FGA by Knicks. 110/216 (team shot attempts)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]From the look of things, Stoudemire, second in the league in scoring before arrival of Carmelo, won?t be in Knicks uniform next season.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Here are some of my questions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]J R Smith in, Woodson in[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]D?Antoni out, Stat on his way out.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Who is building a team in New York?[/FONT]
This is my house!?

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]If Carmelo is capable of playing good D under Woodson all of a sudden, was he purposely playing bad D under Karl and D?Antoni, just to make them look like terrible coaches and for his own ulterior motives?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Did Woodson have a secret deal going with Carmelo before D?Antoni resigned/fired?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Does that mean his job is guaranteed for as long as he follows Carmelo?s lead?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Is Carmelo Anthony a devious manipulator?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma","sans-serif]Far-fetched assumption? Or circumstantial points that way?[/FONT]
[FONT=新細明體][/FONT]
[FONT=新細明體][/FONT]
?Belief can be manipulated. Only knowledgeis dangerous.?
Frank Herbert
[FONT=新細明體][/FONT]

Wargames

Starter
I like this man these are good questions going forward. The biggest part was a total lack of ball movement. Wasn't that the big knock on Woodson in those Atlanta Playoffs? That his Offense was just ISO, ISO, ISO.

pat

Starter
Dude give it a rest...

Convincing argument. Which of the arguments stated above can you challenge? To me Cuckoo's analysis makes a lot of sense.

I said it before and I will say it again. A franchise siding with ANY player over a coach or the management is doomed in the long run. There is a reason why players are not GMs and coaches. To win, teams need to be well crafted. The pieces of the puzzle must fit and quite frankly at the moment they don't, because Dolan was blinded by (Melo's) star power.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Convincing argument. Which of the arguments stated above can you challenge? To me Cuckoo's analysis makes a lot of sense.

I said it before and I will say it again. A franchise siding with ANY player over a coach or the management is doomed in the long run. There is a reason why players are not GMs and coaches. To win, teams need to be well crafted. The pieces of the puzzle must fit and quite frankly at the moment they don't, because Dolan was blinded by (Melo's) star power.

We need to trade the selfish loser in the off season. He is just not a winner. Round one and out 8 out of 9 seasons...if that's not a loser, i dont know what is.

Dude give it a rest...

Beeing from Harlem bro you better support the Globetrotters, they're a better run organization than the New York Knicks.

13 straight Playoff losses, new NBA record - yihaaaaa, finally something to be proud of! :barf:

Who on earth build this ****ing roster?

After all those promises and announcements from Knicks players and officials this roster is hardly better than Isiah's.

ohNO.jpg

Peter

Benchwarmer
As long as Iso star player is here, I doubt any other good players or coaches want to come to NY.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Where are we?

This has been another disappointing season and the future -- for the next three years at least -- is not promising. But let's be realistic. Amare' is untradeable and Melo is here to stay.

We have no first round pick this year and we will not have one in 2014. I anticipate that the salary cap will be in the $60M range for the foreseeable future. The combined salaries of Amare', Melo and Chandler over the next three seasons are, successively, $53.002M, $57.548M and $61.536M. There will be no impact free agent signings.

Our base will be Melo, Chandler, Amare', Lin and Shumpert. I do not think Lin will leave New York and perhaps will sign for less than the full mid-level. Lin was an economics major at Harvard. New York with its marketing potential is the perfect spot for him. Perhaps we can keep JR, but I expect that other teams will be able to give him more money. Same with Novak. Baron has been a disappointment and Bibby is finished. Douglas has a $2M plus team option for next year. I do not think we could trade him for a 2nd round pick. Landry --??

For over a decade now, the Knicks have attempted to buy rather than to build. Over that period our draft pick performance has been mediocre at best. We picked Channing Frye over Andrew Bynum. We picked Rolando Blackmon over Rajon Rondo. We picked Jordan Hill. We needed a point guard and we could have had Jennings or Holiday.

The attempt to "buy" LeBron made sense, but I do not believe we ever had a chance. LeBron was South Beach bound from the beginning. However, in order to entice LeBron, we overpaid for Amare'.

I am not a great fan of Melo, but that is because he is a bit of a self centered/ selfish prima donna. However, he is a truly great offensive player and has the athleticism to be a very good defensive player. Amare', on the other hand, appears to have lost something offensively and, despite first class athleticism, he seems entirely incapable of playing any effective defense. Someone, and I do not believe it is Woodson, has to find a way of integrating Melo, Amare' and Tyson.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Wow at all the people on this site panicking and needing to displace their frustrations on someone. Of course it has to be Melo because everyone else is injured, right?. smh

Those damn conspiracy theories are laughable and are equivalent to comic relief.

Who still actually believes that Dantoni knew how to get the most out of this team???? He just didn't. His philosophy wasn't condusive to the player personnel. The majority of people here and paid basketball analysts agree on that.

It's rediculous how many anti Melo threads have popped up all of a sudden. I'm gonna have to start exposing people as fakes on this site.

fender0577

Rotation player
Wow at all the people on this site panicking and needing to displace their frustrations on someone. Of course it has to be Melo because everyone else is injured, right?. smh

Those damn conspiracy theories are laughable and are equivalent to comic relief.

Who still actually believes that Dantoni knew how to get the most out of this team???? He just didn't. His philosophy wasn't condusive to the player personnel. The majority of people here and paid basketball analysts agree on that.

It's rediculous how many anti Melo threads have popped up all of a sudden. I'm gonna have to start exposing people as fakes on this site.
Please do, i'm getting tired of all the B*tching on this(SO CALLED)knicks forum, SMDH.

nyk_nyk

All Star
As long as Iso star player is here, I doubt any other good players or coaches want to come to NY.

Coach should be blamed. No movement when melo got his ball, everyone else stand around and wait for the last second to shoot 3 point, but not everyone shoot like novak.

Yeah here's an example of someone that just needs someone to blame. First the coach now Melo.

#exposedfiles

Yeah here's an example of someone that just needs someone to blame. First the coach now Melo.

#exposedfiles

You need to give it a rest. Who else you going to blame? The basket for not letting the ball in? The ball for not having a mind of its own so that it can somehow get itself in?

When a team's not working, you find the person to blame. If you got no one to blame then why the **** isn't the team playing good? Let me say something I've said a few times, we got a star in melo who is considered a top 10 player. There are a few teams in the playoffs who don't got a star even in the top 20. I'm not blaming melo for being selfish or shooting too much. But you're damn right I'm going to blame him for not winning when he get everything to go his way.

I want the knicks to win, and F*** yeah I'm blaming someone when they don't.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
you should blame fields and novak.

novak why you no shoot ball in his face?

fields why you pass ball to lebron?

why you no do this?

why you no do that?

nyk_nyk

All Star
You need to give it a rest. Who else you going to blame? The basket for not letting the ball in? The ball for not having a mind of its own so that it can somehow get itself in?

When a team's not working, you find the person to blame. If you got no one to blame then why the **** isn't the team playing good? Let me say something I've said a few times, we got a star in melo who is considered a top 10 player. There are a few teams in the playoffs who don't got a star even in the top 20. I'm not blaming melo for being selfish or shooting too much. But you're damn right I'm going to blame him for not winning when he get everything to go his way.

I want the knicks to win, and F*** yeah I'm blaming someone when they don't.

That's incredibly dumb. How old are you??? You're logic is flawed because if that's the case how about blaming someone who had 0 points! Better yet, how about blaming the TEAM for stupid turnovers. While you're at it why not blame Lin and Shump for being injured? lol dumb shiit.

Edit: not saying people can't get blame but to blame a guy just for the sake of blaming someone is stupid.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
We need to trade the selfish loser in the off season. He is just not a winner. Round one and out 8 out of 9 seasons...if that's not a loser, i dont know what is.

how r u gonna give up your whole roster for a guy a year ago and then trade him? and youre blaming him as if HE was the only one not makin shots... NOBODY was. and miami focused primarily on melo... the BEST defense in the league. thank god some of u fans are just fans

KBlack25

Starter
That's incredibly dumb. How old are you??? You're logic is flawed because if that's the case how about blaming someone who had 0 points! Better yet, how about blaming the TEAM for stupid turnovers. While you're at it why not blame Lin and Shump for being injured? lol dumb shiit.

You could. But those would be dumb pieces to blame.

Look - here's the facts: Carmelo is supposed to be the leader and best player on this team. It is, right now, his squad. If the team loses he takes the blame. That's the way it always has been in this league (blaming the best player for failures of a team), and it'll always be that way.

nyk_nyk

All Star
You could. But those would be dumb pieces to blame.

Look - here's the facts: Carmelo is supposed to be the leader and best player on this team. It is, right now, his squad. If the team loses he takes the blame. That's the way it always has been in this league (blaming the best player for failures of a team), and it'll always be that way.

But how can he take the blame when everyone knows MIA is superior to us AND we only have a fraction of our full team???? Yes I agree the best players usually get the most blame, but we were never expected to beat this team PLUS we don't have guys that can create for themselves. Add to that our PGs are severely limited.

Blame him when we're at full strength and have a great chance of winning a series. Other than that, all the abuse is just dumb and reactionary.