Carmelo Anthony Playoff Timeline

CA7

Scoring Champ
2003-2004(Rookie Year)- Helped the Nuggets improve their record from the previous year and get into the playoffs as the 8th seed.

They faced #1 seeded Minnesota, prime KG and were knocked out of the 1st Round 4-1

2004-2005- Again improved their record and got into the playoffs as the 7th seed.

They faced #2 seeded San Antonio, stole game 1 but lost the rest and we're bumped 4-1

2005-2006- Denver won the division title but when the NBA made the format the 3rd seed could still lose Home Court Advantage the 6th seed, the Clippers got the 6th seed and home court advantage which potentially ruined any chance Denver had of getting out the 1st Round

They faced #6 seeded Los Angeles and got bumped 4-1

2006-2007- They got to the 6th seed

They faced the #3 seeded San Antonio Spurs, stole game 1 and lost the rest 4-1

2007-2008- Won 50 games, 50 games and only go the 8th seed, ended up with the Lakers

They faced the #1 seeded Lakers and got swept out of the 1st Round

2008-2009- Chauncey Billups arrived who was a better compliment to Carmelo and Denver pushed all the way to the #2 seed in the West, this after spending the summer with Team USA Melo was a changed player

Throughtout the playoffs, they destroyed New Orleans, Melo came up clutch vs Dallas and was 2 inbound passes away from potentially beating the Lakers.

Nuggets eventually lost 4-2

2009-2010- Denver again wins the division title, but are now an older team

They face the Utah Jazz where no one shows up to help Melo who averaged 30 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2 steals in the series. They went on to lose 4-2

2010-2011- Melo is traded to the Knicks, the Knicks dont mesh and get Boston in the 1st Round, STAT and Billups get hurt(sound familiar) and the Knicks get swept

2011-2012- Knicks add Chandler, Lin, Smith, Novak, Davis, Bibby, Shumpert and Woodson, the lockout makes it hard for the team to gel, on top of that they have a mid-season coaching change which was for the best, prior the playoffs, Lin gets hurt, game 1 Shumpert gets hurt, game 2 STAT gets hurt, Melo with no help at all is facing one of the best defensive teams in the league and is getting scrutinized by everyone for not playing well, the team is losing and all people can say is Melo never shows up. Knicks down 3-0 currently

The year I bolded stands out for a lot of reasons, I heard Shaq say yesterday what every team needs to win a championship

1. A 1-2 punch that compliments each other
2. A system that compliments the players
3. Others- guys who know their roles and do them well

in 2008-2009, the Nuggets added Billups who complimented a newly focused Melo so well, played off of him better than AI ever did, they also had perfect semi-uptempo system and defensive oriented players around Melo. As for the others they had the enforcers in K-Mart and Birdman, the post presence in Nene, the lead guard in Chauncey Billups, the long range threat and instant offense off the bench in JR Smith, the perimeter defender in Dahntay Jones and a back up facilitating PG in Anthony Carter. Added to the best player Carmelo Anthony. They also had the luck of the draw this year as this is 1 of 2 years he's had home court advantage

If we look at how the Knicks are constructed we see we have 1 of the 3 needed things

We have others but we either have a 1-2 punch that doesn't mix or a system that doesn't allow them to mix, now if Carmelo can share a frontcourt with Martin and Nene why cant he with Chandler and Stoudemire

Also Melo was coming off of a great learning experience, one he will hopefully get this summer. In life we are always students so I'm thinking Melo will learn some stuff from Kobe and company about what it takes to be a Champion, he already knows what it takes to win does he know what it takes to be a Champion.

He also found the perfect compliment to his game in Billups a relied upon #2 who was satisfied in that role.

So either we change the system or we change a key member of the personnel. But thats what I've noticed throughout Melo's career.

Side-note- Chris Paul has been to the playoffs 3 times, out the 1st Round once and is still regarded as the best PG in the league

This is part 1 to a 3 part series on the evolution of Carmelo Anthony

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Im going to pull a Amare and punch a fire extinguisher out of frustration if i see one more Melo thread lol

Nice timeline anyway...

And the Melo rants start innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

GO!!!!

iSaYughh

Starter
Good post. You are not only Melo's biggest suporter here, but his best.

Melo is still young, too. Paul Pierce didn't fully mature till he teamed up with KG.

I'm still a fan of Melo, generally speaking, and I'm probably just less of a fan of the entire situations that have surrounded him.....but, I don't think he's a loser --- I do think deep down his basketball DNA is what you want in a player.

It's mentioned in your post, and it's what Shaq said....part of which I think is needed -- 100% -- for Melo to get to the place I do not think he is currently at, or will ever be at without:

the #2 to go with that 1-2 punch. Can't be understated, and really every move we make should bear that in mind.

I think we're looking at either a PG or a highly skilled guard-forward with legit range and handle.

Since Deron is all but locked up elsewhere, CP3 is a very big longshot (goddamn he would be perfect, though), and because we have Lin who isn't good enough to be that 2, but is too good and useful to not give the PG reigns too....

We're looking at that highly skilled guard-forward. Plus, we are locked up with Amare -- barring a miracle trade, or a HUGE decline that sees us actually give him Rashard Lewis type treatment.

Our best bet is unloading STAT for a decent prospect to boost the bench, salary cap, and if beggars can be choosers...a non-lotto first. Really, just unloading him for cap and 1st, or just cap essentially would be great.

Ironically, we'll be going back to a place we were at pre-Melo: except instead of STAT, we'll have Melo as the centerpiece, and we'll have a better bench and a stud at C. That ain't bad -- we won't be good enough to legit contend, but we'll be that one missing piece away, and we will be poised to seize it.

I'm also letting JR Smith go, to keep our cap space optimally greased, and streamline the focus and direction of our team.

Assuming we accept Shump as our future at SG, we're looking at an SF or PF. Idk who's out there, but if we could unload Amare, don't resign JR, we should be poised to add such a player in the next 1 to 2 years, and likely give us a 3-5yr window of legit contention depending on how TyChan holds up.

It's sick to think how good we would be if you flipped Stoudemire for Pau Gasol on a healthy NYK roster.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Great post. I think its also worth noting that in the 2008-2009 campaign, part of the reason why Melo approached the season with tremendous focus was because he became the butt of jokes within Team USA. Kobe, LeBron, Wade, and other players heckled Carmelo for not getting his Denver Nuggets past the first round.

Obviously, their words got to Carmelo and he worked his ass off, lost the excess fat in his body, and took in a different mantra of team based basketball. In a few months, Melo will once again participate in the Olympics along with other NBA franchise players. It'll be quite interesting how he approaches next season coming off the Olympics, while being reminded of the excellent work ethic of players such as Kobe and Durant.

Players who are given the honor of representing their country in International games usually improve tremendously upon the following NBA season. Just look at guys like Kevin Love (Gold Medal in FIBA 2011, this season: 26.0 PPG / 13.3 RPG) and Tyson Chandler (Gold Medal in FIBA 2012, became a defensive stalwart and was the heart and soul of the championship Mavs squad of last season)

If we're ever going to go deep into the playoffs, next season will be our best bet. Amar'e will presumably be in the last year of his prime @ 30 y. o., Melo and the rest of the Knicks will come out focused after being embarassed for the last two playoff runs.

Good post. You are not only Melo's biggest suporter here, but his best.

Melo is still young, too. Paul Pierce didn't fully mature till he teamed up with KG.

I'm still a fan of Melo, generally speaking, and I'm probably just less of a fan of the entire situations that have surrounded him.....but, I don't think he's a loser --- I do think deep down his basketball DNA is what you want in a player.

It's mentioned in your post, and it's what Shaq said....part of which I think is needed -- 100% -- for Melo to get to the place I do not think he is currently at, or will ever be at without:

the #2 to go with that 1-2 punch. Can't be understated, and really every move we make should bear that in mind.

I think we're looking at either a PG or a highly skilled guard-forward with legit range and handle.

Since Deron is all but locked up elsewhere, CP3 is a very big longshot (goddamn he would be perfect, though), and because we have Lin who isn't good enough to be that 2, but is too good and useful to not give the PG reigns too....

We're looking at that highly skilled guard-forward. Plus, we are locked up with Amare -- barring a miracle trade, or a HUGE decline that sees us actually give him Rashard Lewis type treatment.

Our best bet is unloading STAT for a decent prospect to boost the bench, salary cap, and if beggars can be choosers...a non-lotto first. Really, just unloading him for cap and 1st, or just cap essentially would be great.

Ironically, we'll be going back to a place we were at pre-Melo: except instead of STAT, we'll have Melo as the centerpiece, and we'll have a better bench and a stud at C. That ain't bad -- we won't be good enough to legit contend, but we'll be that one missing piece away, and we will be poised to seize it.

I'm also letting JR Smith go, to keep our cap space optimally greased, and streamline the focus and direction of our team.

Assuming we accept Shump as our future at SG, we're looking at an SF or PF. Idk who's out there, but if we could unload Amare, don't resign JR, we should be poised to add such a player in the next 1 to 2 years, and likely give us a 3-5yr window of legit contention depending on how TyChan holds up.

It's sick to think how good we would be if you flipped Stoudemire for Pau Gasol on a healthy NYK roster.

Other than the two weeks when he came back from his first injury and he had no lift, Stat has been playing fine aside from his defense. The difference is that this year he averaged 5 less shots per game, otherwise he would be averaging 23 PPG at close to 50% shooting, similar to his other seasons.

Stat averaged 17.5 PPG at 48% shooting with 14 FGA per game.
Melo averaged 22.6 PPG at 43% shooting with 19 FGA per game.

Stat has had one of the toughest seasons of his life, and had to deal with a close family death on top of it, and he has still performed reasonably well, and he gets thrashed completely on this website. Melo whines like a bitch and gets his coach fired, and completely choked the entire first half of the season, and completely chokes in the post season, and he has people sticking up for him. I understand that Amar'e made a stupid mistake by injuring himself recently, but for god sakes, if Melo hadn't played like a 2nd string player with 39% FG shooting and no defense the entire first half of the season, we wouldn't even be in this mess against the Heat. Amar'e saved the Knicks franchise by coming here, and now people are trying to get him traded after the toughest year of his life. You guys are in love with marquee names and are acting like straight up bitches.

By the way, if Gasol was on the Knicks, the Knicks would just be a poorer version of the Lakers if you think about it.

Kobe > Melo
Bynum > Chandler
Sessions & Metta = Lin & Shumpert

CA7

Scoring Champ
Other than the two weeks when he came back from his first injury and he had no lift, Stat has been playing fine aside from his defense. The difference is that this year he averaged 5 less shots per game, otherwise he would be averaging 23 PPG at close to 50% shooting, similar to his other seasons.

Stat averaged 17.5 PPG at 48% shooting with 14 FGA per game.
Melo averaged 22.6 PPG at 43% shooting with 19 FGA per game.

Stat has had one of the toughest seasons of his life, and had to deal with a close family death on top of it, and he has still performed reasonably well, and he gets thrashed completely on this website. Melo whines like a bitch and gets his coach fired, and completely choked the entire first half of the season, and completely chokes in the post season, and he has people sticking up for him. I understand that Amar'e made a stupid mistake by injuring himself recently, but for god sakes, if Melo hadn't played like a 2nd string player with 39% FG shooting and no defense the entire first half of the season, we wouldn't even be in this mess against the Heat. Amar'e saved the Knicks franchise by coming here, and now people are trying to get him traded after the toughest year of his life. You guys are in love with marquee names and are acting like straight up bitches.

By the way, if Gasol was on the Knicks, the Knicks would just be a poorer version of the Lakers if you think about it.

Kobe > Melo
Bynum > Chandler
Sessions & Metta = Lin & Shumpert

:teeth: good day sir, you fail

:teeth: good day sir, you fail

I've never seen a man so obsessed with another man before. It's kind of creepy at this point.

You guys can talk like Melo has no one on his team all you want, but the fact is he has a 6x NBA All star in Stat who played an amazing year the season before Melo got here(and who has accepted a much lesser role in order to let Melo play his game), the defensive player of the year in Chandler, two great promising young talents in Shump and Lin, the best three point shooter in the league, but of course, he has no one lol.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I've never seen a man so obsessed with another man before. It's kind of creepy at this point.

You guys can talk like Melo has no one on his team all you want, but the fact is he has a 6x NBA All star in Stat who played an amazing year the season before Melo got here(and who has accepted a much lesser role in order to let Melo play his game), the defensive player of the year in Chandler, two great promising young talents in Shump and Lin, the best three point shooter in the league, but of course, he has no one lol.

STAT is injured
Chandler is still recovering from the flu
Lin injured
Shump injured

What's your point?

Also, we are obviously overmatched by Miami.
They have a 2-time MVP in LeBron
Finals MVP in Wade
Perennial All-Star in Bosh
They also have an advantage chemistry with 2 seasons together for the HEAT.

CA7

Scoring Champ

Call me what you want

I got faith in my guy, just tell why are you blaming one player for our loss when it takes a team to win

metrocard

Legend
Carmelo Anthony doesn't have the competitiveness to win a championship as the main player. He would be good as a secondary or third player but not the main guy. He is a luxury to have on a team. A guy you can go to one-on-one in a close game and get a bucket, but he's not good enough to be the only offensive opinion.

BTW Moderators, please MERGE all Carmelo and Amare threads...PLEASE....just Sticky one Carmleo Player Performance Thread and one Amare Player Performance thread...we need to clean this forum up.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Call me what you want

I got faith in my guy, just tell why are you blaming one player for our loss when it takes a team to win

I don't think everyone is blaming JUST Carmelo. Everyone is trashing him because he is the first person to blame. He wants to be the man, the leader, the alpha male then take it like a man. He basically sucked ass, non factor in the playoff. With his selfish play style, he will never get remotely close to winning a championship. He has to learn to accept that he is no Kobe or Lebron and be a role player ( a scorer )

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
I don't think everyone is blaming JUST Carmelo. Everyone is trashing him because he is the first person to blame. He wants to be the man, the leader, the alpha male then take it like a man. He basically sucked ass, non factor in the playoff. With his selfish play style, he will never get remotely close to winning a championship. He has to learn to accept that he is no Kobe or Lebron and be a role player ( a scorer )

That's the problem. His ego is the size of Grand Canyon he thinks he's the best while in reality he's just a scared little schoolboy. No winning mentallity whatsoever.

Den318

Benchwarmer
That's the problem. His ego is the size of Grand Canyon he thinks he's the best while in reality he's just a scared little schoolboy. No winning mentallity whatsoever.

From New York Times, this sum up Melo perfectly.

Anthony is not the reflective type. He has rarely taken responsibility for his team?s failures, preferring to shift blame toward injuries, coaches or the playbook. But the N.B.A. is a star-driven league, and Anthony ? a star by reputation, if not achievement ? must eventually confront his own r?sum?.
In nine postseasons, Anthony is 16-36 ? the worst record among active players with at least 50 playoff games. He has won a first-round series only once, in 2009. Since then, he has lost 11 of 13 playoff games. If the Knicks lose Sunday, it will be Anthony?s third time getting swept in five years.
Anthony shot .375 against the Boston Celtics in last year?s sweep. He is shooting miserably against Miami, but he is still taking 30 percent of his team?s field-goal attempts while the offense stagnates and the Heat loads up its defense.
Playing Meloball ? in which Anthony dominates the offense, usually in ball-pounding isolation sets ? got the Knicks through a critical late-season period, without Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin, with a 9-4 record. Anthony was brilliant in that stretch, shooting high percentages and collecting 30-point games while the defense did the rest.
But we are now seeing the limitations of Meloball. It can win 45 to 50 games (as it did in Denver), but it cannot beat a team as talented and disciplined as the Heat.
Stoudemire hardly saw the ball in the first two games of this series. The Knicks? 3-point shooters are not getting open looks, because the ball is not moving.
Anthony is a great scorer. He is not yet a great player, because he does not consistently elevate his teammates. He averaged a modest 3.6 assists per game this season, and has a career average of 3.1.
By contrast, consider his close friends from the 2003 draft class: Wade has averaged 6.2 assists per game for his career, and James 6.9. Both Miami stars can control a game through their playmaking alone. The same goes for Kobe Bryant (4.7 career average), when the mood strikes.
In Cleveland, James led his teams deep into the playoffs (including the 2007 finals) despite a lackluster lineup, proving that a selfless star is infinitely more valuable than a single-minded gunner.
Kurt Rambis ? a former teammate of Magic Johnson and a former coach of Bryant ? put it best in an ESPN podcast, saying of Anthony: ?One of the things he has to learn is how to involve his teammates more. There?s a lot more to winning ballgames than just scoring points.?
George Karl and Mike D?Antoni tried in vain to sell Anthony on this virtue, costing Karl years of aggravation and D?Antoni his job.
Initially, D?Antoni asked Anthony to play point forward, giving him the ball control he desired, but with equal responsibility for scoring and playmaking. Anthony accepted the role grudgingly and played it poorly.
Once Lin emerged, the Knicks? playmaking needs were resolved. But Anthony was uncomfortable in a point guard-dominated offense and admitted as much a week before D?Antoni resigned.
So far, the only offense that seems to please Anthony is one where everyone else passes and he shoots.
?Melo is going to have to raise his game,? Coach Mike Woodson said Friday, suggesting that Anthony needs some growth to escape his personal playoff rut. ?He?s got to change that.?
Woodson, an interim coach with no leverage, has necessarily catered to Anthony?s desires. With a little job security, he might not be so forgiving. Phil Jackson, if he were enticed by the Garden?s riches, would certainly demand a more team-oriented game.
Anthony will be 28 this month ? old enough to be considered a veteran, young enough to learn. The Knicks will never be an elite team until he matures. And he will never truly be a star until he evolves.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
From New York Times, this sum up Melo perfectly.

Anthony is not the reflective type. He has rarely taken responsibility for his team?s failures, preferring to shift blame toward injuries, coaches or the playbook. But the N.B.A. is a star-driven league, and Anthony ? a star by reputation, if not achievement ? must eventually confront his own r?sum?.
In nine postseasons, Anthony is 16-36 ? the worst record among active players with at least 50 playoff games. He has won a first-round series only once, in 2009. Since then, he has lost 11 of 13 playoff games. If the Knicks lose Sunday, it will be Anthony?s third time getting swept in five years.
Anthony shot .375 against the Boston Celtics in last year?s sweep. He is shooting miserably against Miami, but he is still taking 30 percent of his team?s field-goal attempts while the offense stagnates and the Heat loads up its defense.
Playing Meloball ? in which Anthony dominates the offense, usually in ball-pounding isolation sets ? got the Knicks through a critical late-season period, without Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin, with a 9-4 record. Anthony was brilliant in that stretch, shooting high percentages and collecting 30-point games while the defense did the rest.
But we are now seeing the limitations of Meloball. It can win 45 to 50 games (as it did in Denver), but it cannot beat a team as talented and disciplined as the Heat.
Stoudemire hardly saw the ball in the first two games of this series. The Knicks? 3-point shooters are not getting open looks, because the ball is not moving.
Anthony is a great scorer. He is not yet a great player, because he does not consistently elevate his teammates. He averaged a modest 3.6 assists per game this season, and has a career average of 3.1.
By contrast, consider his close friends from the 2003 draft class: Wade has averaged 6.2 assists per game for his career, and James 6.9. Both Miami stars can control a game through their playmaking alone. The same goes for Kobe Bryant (4.7 career average), when the mood strikes.
In Cleveland, James led his teams deep into the playoffs (including the 2007 finals) despite a lackluster lineup, proving that a selfless star is infinitely more valuable than a single-minded gunner.
Kurt Rambis ? a former teammate of Magic Johnson and a former coach of Bryant ? put it best in an ESPN podcast, saying of Anthony: ?One of the things he has to learn is how to involve his teammates more. There?s a lot more to winning ballgames than just scoring points.?
George Karl and Mike D?Antoni tried in vain to sell Anthony on this virtue, costing Karl years of aggravation and D?Antoni his job.
Initially, D?Antoni asked Anthony to play point forward, giving him the ball control he desired, but with equal responsibility for scoring and playmaking. Anthony accepted the role grudgingly and played it poorly.
Once Lin emerged, the Knicks? playmaking needs were resolved. But Anthony was uncomfortable in a point guard-dominated offense and admitted as much a week before D?Antoni resigned.
So far, the only offense that seems to please Anthony is one where everyone else passes and he shoots.
?Melo is going to have to raise his game,? Coach Mike Woodson said Friday, suggesting that Anthony needs some growth to escape his personal playoff rut. ?He?s got to change that.?
Woodson, an interim coach with no leverage, has necessarily catered to Anthony?s desires. With a little job security, he might not be so forgiving. Phil Jackson, if he were enticed by the Garden?s riches, would certainly demand a more team-oriented game.
Anthony will be 28 this month ? old enough to be considered a veteran, young enough to learn. The Knicks will never be an elite team until he matures. And he will never truly be a star until he evolves.

yeah excellent article, exactly how I feel about Melo

This is what I don't understand.

Some of you guys are so defensive you don't even really process what some of us are saying.

Some of us ARENT purely blaming melo, just because we're criticizing doesn't mean we HATE him or think he's **** or ANYTHING like that.

I personally want to see melo develop, I criticize because I believe he can do better. Ya'll so defensive that once someone says something negative ya'll going ape****.

I'm not going to sit here and say melo didn't have something to do with why we lost so damn bad because he does. Doesn't mean its ALL his fault.

I think its time to stop making excuses about who's injured and who's not, about coaches and teammates and etc. I want to see him LEAD, and that's yet to happen. Am I dissapointed in him? **** yea, do I HATE him? Hell no.

So don't tell me I can't be dissapointed in player. You've all been dissapointed in your friend/family someone before haven't you all?

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
thats what I was thinkin too, some of those Nuggets teams were really good but the **** u supposed to do when u run into the Spurs and/or Lakers?
Nuggets are the victims of their own creation. All Nuggets coaches take advantage the thin air situation at Mile High by playing fastball. During regular season, it works like a charm. Visiting players gasping for air in the 4th quater. They just dont know how to play slow tempo games and that is why Denver struggles in the playoffs against Spurs and Lakers. The same formula just doesnt work in the playoffs.

Knicks are in the same situation. Isolations work well in regular season, but in the playoffs, iso's could easily be defended. adjusted, and defeated.

They have threee great players in Faried, McGee and Lawson.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Nuggets are the victims of their own creation. All Nuggets coaches take advantage the thin air situation at Mile High by playing fastball. During regular season, it works like a charm. Visiting players gasping for air in the 4th quater. They just dont know how to play slow tempo games and that is why Denver struggles in the playoffs against Spurs and Lakers. The same formula just doesnt work in the playoffs.

Knicks are in the same situation. Isolations work well in regular season, but in the playoffs, iso's could easily be defended. adjusted, and defeated.

They have threee great players in Faried, McGee and Lawson.

Definitely agree, the funny thing is isolation worked well for MJ because Phil knew how to space the court and let MJ work same with Kobe, isolation just like the run and gun system need to have the personnel to make it work

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Definitely agree, the funny thing is isolation worked well for MJ because Phil knew how to space the court and let MJ work same with Kobe, isolation just like the run and gun system need to have the personnel to make it work
It's more than that. MJ was one of the best two-way players, and a true leader on the court. Teammates believed in him and probably played for him more than they played for Jax. I know you dont like hear this but Melo just doesnt have it in him yet.

And back then iso was the main course of the offensive meals for many teams. Now scouting reports and statistics are far advanced, well-kept and easily retrievable by computers. No matter what kind of set of offense you have, scouts and statistics will be able expose its weakest points or low %. Keep away from high % and you will have better chances of beating them.

You cant do that in the regular season because teams have to change their plans 82 times in a season; you will only confuse the coaches and players.

Nothing holds more true to this than last year playoffs. Heat lost 0-3 regular season, but during playoff meeting, Bulls lost 1-4. All credit goes to the coaching and scouts of Heat and especially to Spoelstra. I hate the Heat just as much but he is one helluva coach!

Never in my post, I placed any blame of Melo for this series. IMO It's the coaching and scouting stuff and we got embassed like this. Heat a better team came well prepared. Knicks arent a better team but came toatlly unprepared.