Stephen A. and Skip Bayless: Alterior Motive Behind Lin Not Returning

iSaYughh

Starter
^ no offense...but Lin isn't recovering to play some high-school ball....when he plays, he needs to be able to play -- and at a high level -- against the NBA's elite in a playoff-intensity game.

He's not going to go back and play and be in a Chandler Game 1 situation,

nor have any lingering questions about re-injury in a game where maybe the NBA's most tenacious D is going to absolute swarm him.

Lin takes a lot of abuse in general with his game, and all season the refs gave him very little protection.

edit -- it's also preposterous to think that even an atrocious game in the playoffs would sink him from getting a MLE-type deal. 1 game? against MIA? Hah...

(if anything, finance would motivate Lin to play if he isn't truly ready. a good game played by him, let alone a winning game to set up potentially more, carries a much greater positive than the downside -- financially -- of him playing and sucking)

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Stephen a. smith and skip are idiots. They remind me of tea party conservatives, their philosophy to debating is whoever can scream the loudest is the one who wins the debate (esp smith).

This guy is on the Knicks payroll making six figures right now. He was basically a steal for the Knicks because they were able to get that much game out of someone from the D-league with minimal affect on their salary cap. He's going to be a restricted free agent this summer. What if he re-injures himself in the playoffs? Melo, stat, etc. can afford to get hurt bc at the end of the day, they have huge guaranteed contracts and they can afford to sit out for half a season. If Lin gets hurt, all those millions that he can get and deserves in my opinion, go away, and he becomes another one of those players with great potential but falls short due to injury. I personally loved Penny Hardaway growing up and it tore me apart to see how such great potential was destroyed due to injury. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Lin.

nyk_nyk

All Star
No matter what, i don't think he would increase our chances of beating the heat for a 2nd straight game, but I don't think its silly to believe he's staying out for contract reasons. The most he can make is about 5 mil anyway BUT he can reduce his payday by being exposed like he did before against the Heat.

He's never been asked directly by any media whether or not he feels good enough to play tomorrow. The team is keeping him away from the press.

Personally, I don't think he's fully ready to come back but I also can't totally dismiss the 1st Take comments.

Bottom line: Toney Douglas or bust tomorrow... or TD AND bust...or TD is a buster. :shrug:

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
Well they make pretty good points even though I can't take much of what Skip says seriously. But if he's hurt still or not 100% then he should just stay out. Ask yourselves would he make that much of a difference to beat Miami in game 5 or the rest of the series? Not really. Knicks should surely keep him on board especially since both Baron and Iman came down with nasty injuries

Benchwarmer
Treatments and drugs

By Mayo Clinic staff Initial treatment
Treatment for a torn meniscus often begins conservatively. Your doctor may recommend:
  • Rest. Avoid activities that aggravate your knee pain, especially any activity that might cause you to twist your knee. You might want to use crutches to take pressure off your knee and promote healing.
  • Ice. Ice can reduce knee pain and swelling. Use a cold pack, a bag of frozen vegetables or a towel filled with ice cubes for about 15 minutes at a time. Do this every four to six hours the first day or two, and then as often as needed.
  • Medication. Over-the-counter pain relievers also can help ease knee pain.
Therapy
Physical therapy can help you strengthen the muscles around your knee and in your legs to help stabilize and support the knee joint. Arch supports or other shoe inserts can help to distribute force more evenly around your knee or decrease stress on certain areas of your knee.
Surgery
If your knee remains painful, stiff or locked, your doctor may recommend surgery. It's sometimes possible to repair a torn meniscus. In other cases, the meniscus is trimmed. Surgery may be done through an arthroscope.
During arthroscopic surgery, your doctor inserts an instrument called an arthroscope through a tiny incision near your knee. The arthroscope contains a light and a small camera, which projects an enlarged image of the inside of your knee onto a monitor. Surgical instruments can be inserted through the arthroscope or through additional small incisions in your knee.
Recovery time following arthroscopic surgery tends to be much faster than it is for open-knee procedures. You can often go home the same day. Full recovery may take weeks or months, however, and you will need to do exercises to optimize knee strength and stability.

*Perhaps Dumb and Dumber, uh, I mean Skip Bayless and Stephen A. ought to go back to medical school! Or, get a life. Seriously, who the heck do they think they are?! :rolling:

Last edited:

LV&C

Benchwarmer
Didn't Smith said that Lin is a marginal player? Didn't he ripped him to shreds before? Then why is he asking Lin to return? What can a recovering Lin do to help the team? Or could it be that they want Lin to be the fall guy? :boohoo:

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
Well, let me put it like this: The last guy who rushed back into action after meniscus surgery, because the Playoffs were knocking on the door, was Brandon Roy and look where he is now....

I think Lin is smart enough to know when it's relatively safe to go again and when not.

Athletes can't always trust doctors, they're getting paied by teams (that want their star players on the court/pitch/turf) no matter what. In general they'd rather rush a player back into action to please the team owners and GMs rather than beeing cautious and maybe resting the guy an extra week.

Lin knows that too and he's playing the safe route, fair enough, it's his career and his body.

Brandon Roy's condition as far as I know wasn't seen as the same as Lin. Wasn't his knees degenarate and arthritic? His knees were pretty much bone on bone and they were unable to stimulate cartilage growth

If Lin isn't doing this for some alterior motive which I believe and hope hes not then that leads me to speculate that the team once again may not have been truthful about the extent of his injury. theyve disclosed little info and have kept him away.

remember they kept telling us it was just a soar knee?

then someone on here posted it was a rumor it was more then just that and they were hiding info. Then boom

this may again be the case. Who knows. smh

Anyway I hope hes back healthy and in a Knick uniform next year

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Didn't Smith said that Lin is a marginal player? Didn't he ripped him to shreds before? Then why is he asking Lin to return? What can a recovering Lin do to help the team? Or could it be that they want Lin to be the fall guy? :boohoo:
very good point, they did destroy him in an interview... no one really pays attention to stephen A and company because they just say things for attention half the time

New New York

Quiet Storm
The argument that Lin is staying out of the playoffs to avoid Mia is silly because weeks before it was decided who we were going to play in the first round the team announced Lin was out until the second round! And that second round matchup couldve very easily been the Miami Heat because at the time of Lin's injury playoff positioning was far from decided!

Further more, Lin not playing after a knee surgery further hurts his stock more than helps! If I'm a GM I wondering what took him so long to return, is there more to this injury, plus the last few games before his injury he was struggling, then he gets hurt, so in truth he has not stood the test of time and teams are likely to me more apprehensive the less they see him between now and time for Free Agency!

As of right now Lin 20 games or so worth of productive games on his resume to head into Free Agency with, I honestly do not think that will carry much momentum, especially with Deron Williams,Nash, Billups,Andre Miller, Ramon Sessions and Raymond Felton all set to hit the Free Agent market this summer!

I'm selling this B.S. Skip Baseless and Mr. Big Mouth are selling!

GoKnicks!

Benchwarmer
Lin can't win with Stephanie A. Smith. If he came back and played, then he'll say, "why is the marginal point guard coming back, not having played a month, out of rhythm, and ruining any chance the knicks have getting out the first round?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember how the Heat destroyed this marginal player?!!!!!! Who does this kid think he is? Thinking he'll be effective.... wah wah wah wah."

Peter

Benchwarmer
Lin can't win with Stephanie A. Smith. If he came back and played, then he'll say, "why is the marginal point guard coming back, not having played a month, out of rhythm, and ruining any chance the knicks have getting out the first round?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember how the Heat destroyed this marginal player?!!!!!! Who does this kid think he is? Thinking he'll be effective.... wah wah wah wah."

So true, he always has something to talk about and always shout.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I think it's absurd to even bring this question into the air.

Guy had knee surgery and now you want him to come back against a team where the Knicks have no chance? For what reason?

This is the first time in his career he had time like this, where he went out and played 30, 40 minutes. It's just good to get this rest. Rest from the knee injury and rest from being pounded for the first time in his NBA career.

It's never, ever a bad idea to rest if you have this option. And against the Heat, this is definitely an option.

orangeblobman

Rotation player

Hahahaha, true, man.

Guys gotta talk about something, that's what they're payed to do.

:gony:

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
What's the difference between an alterior motive and an ulterior motive? :smokin:

I think the fact we now know Lin's next game being next season would be for the best....... If he comes back stronger than ever, this debate will become moot.

mafra

Legend
?Everyone knows that Steve loves New York and that New York loves Steve,? Stoudemire told The Daily News. ?I love Steve. It would be great to have him here next year.?

Nash, who spends part of his summer in Manhattan, has always been enamored with the idea of playing at Madison Square Garden. However, close friends say that if Nash were to sign for the veteran minimum, he will go only to a contending team, which is why Miami is suddenly emerging as a strong candidate.

?Why would he want to do that,? Stoudemire said, laughing. ?This is a terrible, terrible situation here, right??

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...eve-nash-york-article-1.1075531#ixzz1uTVQkMfI

----------------------

The main reason why Jeremy Lin won't be returning might have to do with the fact that Steve Nash might be coming to NY.

Would Dolan & the Knicks risk it? Putting the fate of our talented & expensive front court's future in the hands of this relatively unknown commodity? Especially when Mr. Nash is available?

Would Knicks fans be happy if we resign LIN & NASH ends up in MIA?

The fact that LIN doesn't qualify for BIRD RIGHTS, might mean he leaves.

1) I'm not breaking the bank to sign LIN for 5 mil per year for 4-6 years. I want to keep Jeremy, but he needs to understand his worth. If some team breaks the bank to sign him, we have to let him walk.

2) Now that D'antoni is gone... LIN's value is diminished. He certainly has potential to grow as a player... improve... but the fact remains we cannot go into next season depending on him to solve all the offensive problems we have. He should be the fallback option, playing backup/6th man... giving him time to grow.

I really like Lin but he still has a whole lot to prove before I sign him over Nash. Would love to have them both...tbh. Lin can learn alot from Nash.

mafra

Legend
I really like Lin but he still has a whole lot to prove before I sign him over Nash. Would love to have them both...tbh. Lin can learn alot from Nash.

That should be the plan. Knicks have a ton of holes, but let's be honest: Adding a few quality pieces wont make this all work. I would prefer 1 great part instead.

Steve Nash has to be the main focus. Sure, he turns 39 next Feb... but he's in great shape. Plus, if you sign Nash than you can still move fwd with LIN.

MAKE NO MISTAKE, DOLAN WANTS LIN. He's a cash cow. But, you can't put the fate of Carmelo-Amare-Chandler-Woodsen in his hands.

You need insurance.

Knicks cannot afford Dragic. Knicks could tagret Hinrich & a Foye/Crawford as fallback options... But the best scenario is Nash-Lin combo.

Nash avg 31 minutes per game (to go with a 12/10/3 points/assists/rebound slash line). I would sign Nash and cut that to 28 minutes a game. This would give LIN 20 minutes at the point. Perfect.

LIN can develop w/outthe pressure of being "the answer" to all our woes. He can learn from NASH. Watch how Steve makes it all work. NASH is the only PG who can come here & rescue this failed 'Melo-Amar'e experiment.

We can afford this IF both LIN-NASH play in NY b/c they want to, b/c they want this stage & want to win. Both will be offered more money elsewhere. But I think there's a way to make it work somehow.

Of course, if we do squeeze both in then we have to find a way to trade Douglas-Balkman, and we'll have to sacrifice elsewhere. It probably means Novak walks.

Is it possible? I'm not sure. I don't know everything aout the cap. Would Nash take a Shane Battier type contract? Could we split the MLE between both players? Who knows.

I'm sure this is plan-A tho.

Get me to next MAY, and let me start this 5:

NASH
SHUMP
MELO
AMARE
CHANDLER

Let LIN come off the Bench.

This is a team worthy of a title.

^^yes,

Nash doesn't have much mileage left in those legs so I doubt he's looking for a big payday (i hope not), I know he will sign with a contender...

I want him simply because of his experience as a floor general. I'm not going to depend on him for points (although he'll definitly give us some). I just want ball control and someone that will get all of his players in the game. Lin and Nash makes a very interesting back court.