Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stephen A. and Skip Bayless: Alterior Motive Behind Lin Not Returning

The argument that Lin is staying out of the playoffs to avoid Mia is silly because weeks before it was decided who we were going to play in the first round the team announced Lin was out until the second round! And that second round matchup couldve very easily been the Miami Heat because at the time of Lin's injury playoff positioning was far from decided!

Further more, Lin not playing after a knee surgery further hurts his stock more than helps! If I'm a GM I wondering what took him so long to return, is there more to this injury, plus the last few games before his injury he was struggling, then he gets hurt, so in truth he has not stood the test of time and teams are likely to me more apprehensive the less they see him between now and time for Free Agency!

As of right now Lin 20 games or so worth of productive games on his resume to head into Free Agency with, I honestly do not think that will carry much momentum, especially with Deron Williams,Nash, Billups,Andre Miller, Ramon Sessions and Raymond Felton all set to hit the Free Agent market this summer!

I'm selling this B.S. Skip Baseless and Mr. Big Mouth are selling!

Lin can't win with Stephanie A. Smith. If he came back and played, then he'll say, "why is the marginal point guard coming back, not having played a month, out of rhythm, and ruining any chance the knicks have getting out the first round?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember how the Heat destroyed this marginal player?!!!!!! Who does this kid think he is? Thinking he'll be effective.... wah wah wah wah."

Originally Posted by GoKnicks!
    Lin can't win with Stephanie A. Smith. If he came back and played, then he'll say, "why is the marginal point guard coming back, not having played a month, out of rhythm, and ruining any chance the knicks have getting out the first round?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember how the Heat destroyed this marginal player?!!!!!! Who does this kid think he is? Thinking he'll be effective.... wah wah wah wah."
    So true, he always has something to talk about and always shout.

I think it's absurd to even bring this question into the air.

Guy had knee surgery and now you want him to come back against a team where the Knicks have no chance? For what reason?

This is the first time in his career he had time like this, where he went out and played 30, 40 minutes. It's just good to get this rest. Rest from the knee injury and rest from being pounded for the first time in his NBA career.

It's never, ever a bad idea to rest if you have this option. And against the Heat, this is definitely an option.

Originally Posted by GoKnicks!
    Hahahaha, true, man.

Guys gotta talk about something, that's what they're payed to do.

What's the difference between an alterior motive and an ulterior motive?

I think the fact we now know Lin's next game being next season would be for the best....... If he comes back stronger than ever, this debate will become moot.

“Everyone knows that Steve loves New York and that New York loves Steve,” Stoudemire told The Daily News. “I love Steve. It would be great to have him here next year.”

Nash, who spends part of his summer in Manhattan, has always been enamored with the idea of playing at Madison Square Garden. However, close friends say that if Nash were to sign for the veteran minimum, he will go only to a contending team, which is why Miami is suddenly emerging as a strong candidate.

“Why would he want to do that,” Stoudemire said, laughing. “This is a terrible, terrible situation here, right?”

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

----------------------

The main reason why Jeremy Lin won't be returning might have to do with the fact that Steve Nash might be coming to NY.

Would Dolan & the Knicks risk it? Putting the fate of our talented & expensive front court's future in the hands of this relatively unknown commodity? Especially when Mr. Nash is available?

Would Knicks fans be happy if we resign LIN & NASH ends up in MIA?

The fact that LIN doesn't qualify for BIRD RIGHTS, might mean he leaves.

1) I'm not breaking the bank to sign LIN for 5 mil per year for 4-6 years. I want to keep Jeremy, but he needs to understand his worth. If some team breaks the bank to sign him, we have to let him walk.

2) Now that D'antoni is gone... LIN's value is diminished. He certainly has potential to grow as a player... improve... but the fact remains we cannot go into next season depending on him to solve all the offensive problems we have. He should be the fallback option, playing backup/6th man... giving him time to grow.

Veteran

I really like Lin but he still has a whole lot to prove before I sign him over Nash. Would love to have them both...tbh. Lin can learn alot from Nash.

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    I really like Lin but he still has a whole lot to prove before I sign him over Nash. Would love to have them both...tbh. Lin can learn alot from Nash.

That should be the plan. Knicks have a ton of holes, but let's be honest: Adding a few quality pieces wont make this all work. I would prefer 1 great part instead.

Steve Nash has to be the main focus. Sure, he turns 39 next Feb... but he's in great shape. Plus, if you sign Nash than you can still move fwd with LIN.

MAKE NO MISTAKE, DOLAN WANTS LIN. He's a cash cow. But, you can't put the fate of Carmelo-Amare-Chandler-Woodsen in his hands.

You need insurance.

Knicks cannot afford Dragic. Knicks could tagret Hinrich & a Foye/Crawford as fallback options... But the best scenario is Nash-Lin combo.

Nash avg 31 minutes per game (to go with a 12/10/3 points/assists/rebound slash line). I would sign Nash and cut that to 28 minutes a game. This would give LIN 20 minutes at the point. Perfect.

LIN can develop w/outthe pressure of being "the answer" to all our woes. He can learn from NASH. Watch how Steve makes it all work. NASH is the only PG who can come here & rescue this failed 'Melo-Amar'e experiment.

We can afford this IF both LIN-NASH play in NY b/c they want to, b/c they want this stage & want to win. Both will be offered more money elsewhere. But I think there's a way to make it work somehow.

Of course, if we do squeeze both in then we have to find a way to trade Douglas-Balkman, and we'll have to sacrifice elsewhere. It probably means Novak walks.

Is it possible? I'm not sure. I don't know everything aout the cap. Would Nash take a Shane Battier type contract? Could we split the MLE between both players? Who knows.

I'm sure this is plan-A tho.

Get me to next MAY, and let me start this 5:

NASH
    SHUMP
    MELO
    AMARE
    CHANDLER

Let LIN come off the Bench.

This is a team worthy of a title.

Veteran

^^yes,

Nash doesn't have much mileage left in those legs so I doubt he's looking for a big payday (i hope not), I know he will sign with a contender...

I want him simply because of his experience as a floor general. I'm not going to depend on him for points (although he'll definitly give us some). I just want ball control and someone that will get all of his players in the game. Lin and Nash makes a very interesting back court.

No way we can afford both lin and nash with a good quality rosters. If you pay attention on nash's game, you will see lin is much better defender than nash.

Who cares and if people seriously believe we would have won game 5 with lin playing is just linsane.

Guys can you stop dreaming about signning Nash, we do not have the CAP to sign Nash . In addition there are better choices and more money out there for nash then New York.
    Last edited by JujuXG; May 13, 2012 at 12:38.