Center of Attention

e_D

Benchwarmer
You know what guys? I was thinking about it, and realized that we may not need a big man
as desperately as we think. If we get one who can perform at a high level, that'd be great,
but this is how I see it..

Big Man; 35-40 mpg, 8 ppg, 9 rpg
And that's being generous with most of the bigs we have a decent chance of aquiring.

Nazr; 20-25 mpg, 6 ppg, 7rpg
Vin; 20-25 mpg, 6 ppg, 6 rpg
Combined; 48 mpg, 12 ppg, 13rpg

I think these guys of capable of doing this night in and night out, like they displayed last night vs. Dallas.
While the shot blocking might not be there, there's athleticism, a bit of scoring, and rebounds. I'm convinced.

Trin_Starr

Starter
In theory that sounds feasible, but I really don't think you can take two mediocre players to make up for a good center. The reason why Carlos Arroyo and Raja Bell was killing the knicks in Utah 4 days ago was because they were not afraid of any intimidating presence in the middle. A good center not only grabs rebounds, but has the ability to alter opposing players' shots making it more difficult.
We also witnessed the ill effects of not having a big man last season, when the opposing guards would just cut through our defense!

With the addition of the new guys and everyone else having a year to play together, we will be able to go the 2nd round no problem, but to compete for a championship, the knicks will need that big man to fill up the middle.

Just look at last year's mavericks, they had all the firepower but no big man for solid D and they couldn't get pass the 1st round!

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
yea but Vin & Nazr cant defend Shaq as good as a decent center would... Kurt can hold him down for a few minutes... but the best D i ever saw a PF play against Shaq was when Ewing went down and Oakley stepped up, he held Shaq to 19pts

6thman

Benchwarmer
Get Ewing back on the court :) :) :) :) :) :)
(To say something clever now ;) ), i think Nazr and Vin could do it but they have to show something beter!!! Maybe they're just relaxing before the season opener...

And forget about trading kurt for Wally!

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I say let Shaq drop 40 to 50 on us, since we only have Nazr and Baker to work it. But make sure that we hold down all the other players. We can get killed down low, but one player cannot win the game by himself.

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
^^sounds right... that used to be what the Knicks did vs Jordan back in the days... but realistically how many times have you seen a player score 40 or 50 and his team lose...

hell ya get ewing baK He can guard shaq.. btu i dont thik baker can be as effective as we want him 2 be

rady edit:
if you`ll get banned, don`t ask why it happened. i`m not going to warn you again

nyfan33

Rookie
I've written in a few posts previously that none of the Knicks current centres can hold their own in the paint, but I was impressed with them in the game against NJ :) . Sweetney played well (except for all those offensive fouls - what's up with that?) and Williams was awesome on the boards in the few minutes that he played. He grabbed about 5 in his first 5 minutes! Nazr was solid, although he got into foul trouble. Again. Kurt was good, if not great.

I think these guys are starting to learn their roles in this team. The Knicks have much more offensive power in the 1,2,3 positions. They just need their big men to rebound, rebound, rebound (and a few blocks wouldn't go astray - like Sweetney last night).

I'm still withholding my judgement until I see them play against some quality big men (like the Nuggets or Pistons) in the real season, but maybe the Knicks can compete up front after all.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I don't like Mohammed much, but He has been getting better for the last couple of games. Seen him do some nice boxing out and rebounding which is the most important thing needed from him right now. But will someone pleaseeee tell this guy that he is 7 foot tall and doesn't need to be reaching in like a retard, picking up stupid fouls. If you gonna foul, its cool with me if the guy is about to score a easy one, but don't just waste them. Now Jerome Williams been AWESOME off the bench, on the few minutes he is getting, he is getting mad offensive rebounds and not to mention playing good defense. Seen him all over Kirk in the Dallas game and shut him down for a while.