Why Woodson should get the job now!

Red

TYPE-A

1. The defensive transformation has to be partially credited to him and Chandler (or the acquisition of)

2. He stressed missing elements including: accountability and defense

3. The players who mattered responded

4. He isn't afraid to teach during game situations

5. He expects STAT & Melo to get better and be used primarily on offense

6. He has playoff experience

7. He's humble and has something more to prove

8. Our previous coach got three years plus (I think :smokin:)

9. Signing him now helps prioritize off-season moves

10. Our performance since he's been here.

BONUS: Our team defense was better, and we had the DPOY in Chandler. Although we struggled with questions, he got us back on track with a 18 & 6 record and into the playoffs as the 7th seed. Our record and team stats rivaled the best during that stretch, and that was with a patchwork roster toward the end of a truncated season.

When we were down THREE starters (BD happening during the win) he managed to NOT use excuses and pull out a WIN.

BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. IF THIS MAN HAS NOT EARNED/PROVED/SUBSTANTIATED his contract extension, after accomplishing a playoff win after a 10 year drought and a record playoff losing streak...

given all the mitigating factors...

it will be akin to Bush getting nominated on a recount and dimple issue in Florida. Just egregious blasphemy.

*the author of this list wants to thank Mike D'Antoni for giving us such a sample as to assist in illustrating so plainly what missing elements such as defense, fundamentals, accountability, game-planning, and motivation should look like. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yes Woody deserves a shot. He took on the challenge and did very well considering all the unforunate circumstances. The playoffs were not in our cards this year. Too many injuries and not enough chemistry amongst the team. I highly doubt any coach could have done a much better job with this broken up team...not even Phil. I don't know why people can't see that it was our injuries that did us in...not the coach or any particular player. Recognize!

Yes Woody deserves a shot. He took on the challenge and did very well considering all the unforunate circumstances. The playoffs were not in our cards this year. Too many injuries and not enough chemistry amongst the team. I highly doubt any coach could have done a much better job with this broken up team...not even Phil. I don't know why people can't see that it was our injuries that did us in...not the coach or any particular player. Recognize!

Sorry bro, but injuries weren't the reason we lost.

Poor excuse.

They certainly made things harder, but the Heat beat us when Lin and Shumpert both played towards the end of Linsanity.

We lost because of injuries and we never had proper time to gel, plus we had a coaching change after mid season. A change that actually made the team better.

In the playoffs...Lin didn't play, Shump went down in game 1, Stat was suffering all year, Melo was coming off a groin injury, JJ had bad knees, Chandler had the flu, Davis was broken up to begin with, Douglas shoulder injury ruined his shot and possibly his carrear...

So, knowing all of this...how would have Phil Jackson gotten the rest of this hurting team to a championship?

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Phil Jackson is 66 years old right now. He coached in the NBA for over 20 years and has 11 rings to show for it. Why would he come back and if he did come back, why would he pick us?

Also, Woody has done a good job. Bringing a team back into playoff contention and even winning a game for us against the heat was good enough for me considering the circumstances he dealt with.

You can't expect him to beat a powerhouse team that will most likely end up in the finals and may end up winning the championship (as much as it tears me up inside to say it) with half his roster injured.

Look at the Bulls right now; stellar all season and now potentially facing a playoff exit in the first round. Should Tom Thibodeau be let go as well?

skisloper

Starter
If we bring Woody back are you not concerned with how poorly he did with a very good Atlanta team.
Woody is a good coach but when it comes to the playoffs his teams seem to not show up......
This was the case with game 1 and with game 5. I mean did we look like a team playing to win last night and chasing every ball down....please do not say we were tired...

and for the last time what will stop woodson next year of leaving a player in for 36 minutes with a big 0 acroos his stat line.....again dont say there was nobody else...because everyoother player managed a reboundeven in the 5 minutes they were in....

We want a ring not 2nd round knockls out....

Peter

Benchwarmer
I'm very disappointed by what Woodson and his staff have done in the Playoffs.

Woodson looked clueless.

It's Jackson time, Phil that is.
I agree with you. Look at other teams' play, there are big difference over there, they all look like teams playing. Dont say we have no other options but iso melo or iso JR, how many shots do novak,Stat, TC get?
How many shots did novak get for the last 5 games? Why did miami heat get so many open 3s? Is that a good denfense?

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
As long as we kick the Phil Jax tires... I'm cool w/ Woody.

Dolan won't bring back JVG, nor do I think JVG (or his bro) would want to come here.

THIBBY wont be leaving CHI.

So, the choice boils down to Woodsen or Sloan, right?

I'm fine with Woodsen, as long as we get a PG.

Our Big-3 seem to like Woodsen, he's a NYK thru-&-thru... Why not give him 3 years?

I'll take 50 win seasons and a top-4 seed (which he proved he could do in ATL). I get his post season track record looks as bad as Carmelo's... We'll just have to live with that, & hope for the best.

18-6 & avoided a sweep is good enough for me.

I do hate the ISO though. I find it offensive. Basketball is all about motion, movement, flow... To get the best high % shot, you need ball reversal, passing, attacking the back side... You need to tire the other team out, make them work on offense. But I bet a real PG could solve that... And since we have Carmelo... we have little choice.

I also hate the fact Woodsen refused to try a zone, just to see if it could be effective. But what can you do. We held MIA, for the most part, in check with what we had.

My #1 choice is Phil Jax. After that, I'm find with Woodsen.... just as long as we do our homework.

So some of us are saying with a full season under Woody's belt and possibly having a healthy roster come playoffs time?.we still expect him to fail?even after what he has done for us in the little time he?s had?

This team is clearly better than the team he?s coach in Atlanta. I even think Woody is a better coach now than he was before. If we are going to judge him on what he?s did last year?are we going to forget what happened to Phil last year? Woody has that hunger, and has the guys clicking?do you really want to gamble that away after all the other coaching changes we had over the years? Does Phil still have that hunger...or are we just thinking about the past and not the future?

Our biggest problem is consistency?but that comes with stability?something we also didn?t have in over a decade. Let?s finally get our stability and then we can go from there in assessing what truly needs to be done.

skisloper

Starter
So some of us are saying with a full season under Woody's belt and possibly having a healthy roster come playoffs time?.we still expect him to fail?even after what he has done for us in the little time he?s had?

This team is clearly better than the team he?s coach in Atlanta. I even think Woody is a better coach now than he was before. If we are going to judge him on what he?s did last year?are we going to forget what happened to Phil last year? Woody has that hunger, and has the guys clicking?do you really want to gamble that away after all the other coaching changes we had over the years? Does Phil still have that hunger...or are we just thinking about the past and not the future?

Our biggest problem is consistency?but that comes with stability?something we also didn?t have in over a decade. Let?s finally get our stability and then we can go from there in assessing what truly needs to be done.

last time...I promise...
what was Woody's rational of Smith being in 36 minutes and entire 2nd half without a rebound, assist, steal, black shooting 20%, a few TO's and lapse on guarding his men on defense????? oh and stupid fouls...

where was woody

lookgrabpull

Benchwarmer
I'd keep Woodson. First, because guys seem to fight for him when he's on the sideline. We are a much more resilient team now, a double digit deficit does not scare us anymore, which is amazing compared to how we looked prior to the coaching change.

Of course, if there's a chance to bring Phil Jackson, I'd move woody back to asst coach. I'm sure he can learn to work under the one of the best coaches in the NBA ever. He could learn a thing or two.

I also give him a break for not being top-notch on offense this season, BUT, he has a full off season to implement accountability on the offensive end as well. No way does a player (even melo) not pass the ball to an open teammate. He has to insist everyone moves on offense, with or without the ball. He has to push the tempo when possible, to put pressure on the opposing defense. We used to be a dangerous team on the break, and now we barely make any fast break points.

And finally, he has to make sure he uses all the tools at our disposal. Amare is an amazing PnR player - he has to use it. Lin has great drives to the hoop - use it. Melo can create shots out of thin air - use it. Chandler is money deep in the paint - he has to use this to our advantage. We have amazing skills in this team, we just need to use them properly.

Oh, and one really important thing: We have to learn how to play zone defense. It's a viable defensive plan that our team seems to ignore, and it's cutting our defensive options. Also zone defense could hide some of Stat's flaws as a defender.

It's a lot of work for one off season, but I think it's our best bet yet (again, barring a PJax comeback). If woodson manages to put intensity and cleverness into our team's offense, the way he's done with our defense, and add a bit of zone to throw the opponent off from time to time, than we can be a truly dangerous team.

Happy offseason to all of you. It's been a blast.

last time...I promise...
what was Woody's rational of Smith being in 36 minutes and entire 2nd half without a rebound, assist, steal, black shooting 20%, a few TO's and lapse on guarding his men on defense????? oh and stupid fouls...

where was woody

I'm really interested in hearing your solution to this...and what you think Phil would have done.

Don't get me wrong, Woodson is not a bad coach at all, but it takes a HOF coach to beat Miami in a series imo. A Popovich or Phil Jackson, maybe Jerry Sloan but that's it.

Woodson won't cut it next year either.

If we really play a good regular season and end up fourth we'll play the Heat in the second round and get our ass kicked again with Woody at the helm so what's the point?

I say hire a HOF coach and let's see where we can go. Melo and Amar'e only have one, maybe two seasons left until they start to fade away.

It's too late to hire Jackson in 2-3 years.

skisloper

Starter
I'm really interested in hearing your solution to this...and what you think Phil would have done.

Played Landy or Jorts more....and given TD a few more minutes...
I get what JR can do but when you see the guy plays
entire 2nd quarter .....0 rebounds or assists
entire 3rd quarter ...same
and most of the 4th,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would think most coaches would at least sit him for 5 minutes and let the player regroup...he just let him keep going and did ZERO!!!!!!!!!!

how about a freakin rest for jr

Landry was getting his shots but he was sucking all year, Jorts is still developing, and TD...well...I don't know what the hell happened to him this year.

We were hurting, so Woody went with the guys that have been producing for him. I'm sure an off season will remedy this. Giving these same circumstances to any other coach we will still suffer the same results...bumped from the playoffs or probably not even making the playoffs. We really don't know if this team would have played as good under anyone else... But we do see the potential we have now...at least some of us do.