Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STAT and MELO need to Restructure their Contracts

Nyk Logo STAT and MELO need to Restructure their Contracts

Should MELO and STAT Restructure their deals to improve the roster this summer?

IMO YES!

I agree, but it would be very questionable if both of them would do it. And I'm pretty sure their fans won't want them to do it either. You'll have a WW 3.

It's all about the money. Almost every player will take the most that they can get. This is why I find it absurd that fans will ask so and so player to take less money. It is absurd.

As much as I hate Lebron, this is the part that amazed me, taking less money for the team and ring.

....well for the millionth time they cannot.

Deals were done before new CBA which makes them untouchable.

Originally Posted by LV&C
    I agree, but it would be very questionable if both of them would do it. And I'm pretty sure their fans won't want them to do it either. You'll have a WW 3.

It's all about the money. Almost every player will take the most that they can get. This is why I find it absurd that fans will ask so and so player to take less money. It is absurd.

As much as I hate Lebron, this is the part that amazed me, taking less money for the team and ring.
    Its easier for LBJ to take less because he earn a lot from endorsement, while other don't.

I agree but they won't. Maybe melo might but i don't see stat doing it.

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by JujuXG
    Its easier for LBJ to take less because he earn a lot from endorsement, while other don't.

If Nash and Lin are to be on the roster together

Both Melo and Stat have to restructure their deals

They have to choose money or championships first

My thinking is championships will lead to more money but

You have to give in order to receive

If they are smart they will restructure to make it happen

Making real noise in the offseason with full training camp

Originally Posted by NYKNICKS4LIFE
    If Nash and Lin are to be on the roster together

Both Melo and Stat have to restructure their deals

They have to choose money or championships first

My thinking is championships will lead to more money but

You have to give in order to receive

If they are smart they will restructure to make it happen

Making real noise in the offseason with full training camp
    Read what NY17KNICKS said.

It's impossible for them to do so even if they wanted to.

Superstar

They can't

Only option is to dump one of them or we will be unable to improve. We have to use the MLE on Lin, so ALL we have in minimum contracts to use. THATS IT.

Dump one of them or otherwise we will be terrible for the forseeable future.

Originally Posted by Forrest17
    They can't

Only option is to dump one of them or we will be unable to improve. We have to use the MLE on Lin, so ALL we have in minimum contracts to use. THATS IT.

Dump one of them or otherwise we will be terrible for the forseeable future.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ this, there is no way to improve this team unless Amare or Melo is gone, we have to build teams off Vet min contracts... to tell you the truth i don't think our bench will ever be the same after this year... we got real lucky with some of these players.

^ I know, right? So many of our scorers in many of our games are from players who earn less than a mil to less than 3 mil. On the other hand... Toney....

Lets be reality...we're most likely f*cked for the future

We'll have Amarknee being injured or a non factor, Melo getting over worked, and several past their prime role players occasionally contributing.

I hope Lin and Shump can both comeback healthy, they will determine how far we go assuming we keep the core of this current team together

LeBron has a maximum deal with Heat, not sure where this is coming from that he took less.

But even if guys could restructure their contracts, I am never a fan of that.

The problem is that this team makes stupid moves. Amar'e signing was a stupid move and Melo signing was a stupid move. If you're gonna pay max money to someone, this is no problem, but they should be worth it. If they're worth it you'll see it on the court. We see nothing on the hardwood.

Player contracts can be renegotiated downward in extensions, as long as the player’s salary does not decrease by more than 40 percent. Previously, renegotiations could only increase a player’s salary. This could provide another key avenue for teams to maintain roster flexibility and add players with space created by restructuring existing contracts, similar to the NFL.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by JujuXG

Lebron can take less b/c FLA doesn't have a state tax. basically, the "less" amount he accepted when he signed with MIA is erased when you take into account what CLE & NYK would have deducted in state taxes.

This is why cap is unfair. Teams in states like TEX & FLA can offer more than other states.

Originally Posted by YuvalNYC
    Player contracts can be renegotiated downward in extensions, as long as the player’s salary does not decrease by more than 40 percent. Previously, renegotiations could only increase a player’s salary. This could provide another key avenue for teams to maintain roster flexibility and add players with space created by restructuring existing contracts, similar to the NFL.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If this is true... The Carmelo-Stoudemire-Chandler need to each add an additional year. Lob of a few mil each for this year.

If they can free up enough space to sign Steve Nash & Jamaal Crawford, while re-signing LIN & Novak (or Smith) then NY would be golden.

TD at theknicksblog.com just posted what Alan hahn had to say about this possibility:

"The fact is the new CBA does include a restructuring provision, but the rule is written in such a way that neither the players, nor the team, are eligible to do it. A team has to already be under the salary cap for restructuring to be permitted and the player has to be 3 years into his current contract."

In other words, there's no way we can do it this year.

Still, we have enough wiggle room to add Nash & J-Crawford with MLE & vet min.