STAT Knows What's Good For Him - Makes Public Plea To Nash

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
I could be off but IMO the "come and mentor" **** is overblown. Guys don't want to come and be some ones coach. Given the circumstance where say a player has already achieved success and is on his last contract, perhaps. But most want to win and think they can contribute (not by coaching a youngster). I think this is far fetched. Especially if you think a player will for less $.

These guys think they can still compete.

And as far as defense, my point goes back to what I analyzed a month back when we were bumped. If we are to be taken serious, our team must be built to compete with the HEAT, at least our starting 5 must be.

Minus TC (DPOY) & Melo, no one left can berelied upon on D. How can we rely on Lin when he's hurt? When healthy he was a bit soft on D.

Or Shump... knee injuries? That's no good. My point is even when HEALTHY they needed improvement.

And STAT has the matador defense down pat.

So is Nash an improvement in the areas we need? No, IMO he may improve the offensive flow, but on D no. So why would we want to spend the little remaining $ to get something we don't need? That's not wise IMO.

I've had enough of the courting the "vets" who state their interest and use that as leverage. We must use whatever assets we have (sans TC & Melo) to improve our back-court or we will fail. That means trade, draft, or open up to sign a F/A. And that player must be an IMPROVEMENT (on O & D) or what's the point?

The problem with that strategy is that we have very little wiggle room when it comes to who we can sign. Our best bet to sign someone halfway decent is the MLE if we get Bird Rights for Lin and Novak (highly unlikely) and even with that there aren't too many players who can play both sides of the ball who would accept that, including Nash. I'm hoping we get lucky and draft a decent PG (Scott Machado is what everyone is raving about on here so hopefully we can get him) to back up Lin but I would certainly take Nash if he was willing. I'm betting that he's just pulling a Lebron on us though.

tiger0330

Legend
Don't rule out him coming here for less money. People here really have ignored the first sentence of the post, "everyone knows Steve loves New York." I'm telling you guys this is an understatement...There was talk of LeBron coming here bc New York is so great, blah blah blah, but Steve Nash actually lives here during the summer, and has been doing so for a decade. He has kids who live in the city...the man is 38; maybe a longer contract for a little less money is OK for him to see his kids on a more frequent basis. Also, the whole lin situation might be an enticing challenge for a guy like him.

Of course, if miami, Okc or La offer the MLE, we will probably be out of luck bc i'm sure he is dying for a ring.
If Nash said something like "I love the city so much I would play for the Knicks for free", I would say you had a point but it sounded to me he was just being politically correct.

I think his priorities at this point in his career are 1. championship, 2. money. If he's able to wrangle a multi-year 20M deal with a respectable team, that's where he'll go. I don't see him going to a team other than OKC or Mia if he has to take the min.

He'll go to a team that can compete, he lives in NY so I think he'll take an reasonable offer. If not, hey... so be it. It'll be his lost.

p0nder

Starter
Nash has made is money and is looking for an opportunity to win in the last 3 years of his career. I think coming to the knicks makes the most sense for him of any situation outside of going to the miami heat, which I'm not sure if that is possible or not.

Nash, Shump, Melo, STAT, TC - That looks like a pretty stacked team to me!

EDIT: I would be obligated to buy a Nash Jersey for pure awesomeness. Would he have #13? hmmm

fender0577

Rotation player
Nash has made is money and is looking for an opportunity to win in the last 3 years of his career. I think coming to the knicks makes the most sense for him of any situation outside of going to the miami heat, which I'm not sure if that is possible or not.

Nash, Shump, Melo, STAT, TC - That looks like a pretty stacked team to me!
That's true, but only if STAT decides to play so damn D, we can't afford 2 players who don't play any D, we just can't.

metrocard

Legend
Don't want Nash here. He's past his prime. Knick's fan's seriously need to stop with this type of thinking!

''Stop looking for the quick FIX''

I bet other franchises love the Knicks ''Quick let's patch it up'' Approach.

No, that Shi* ends Today!.

Nash has been the been the best offensive PG in the NBA for a decade already, and is more than a quick fix fool. He's a franchise changer and will put the Knicks on the elite status with Chicago being Rose-less and Boston going through a decline. Only team in the East are Miami and the Pacers.

2013 is our best shot to win it all. I rather win one championship, then break down what will be an old declining team in 2014 and start rebuilding through the draft for a new future after Melo, Stat, Chandler are pass their primes.

We have to WIN NOW if we're keeping Melo, Stat, and Tyson as the core. I'm against that mentality and like the way Chicago, OKC, and Spurs do their franchise

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nash has been the been the best offensive PG in the NBA for a decade already, and is more than a quick fix fool. He's a franchise changer and will put the Knicks on the elite status with Chicago being Rose-less and Boston going through a decline. Only team in the East are Miami and the Pacers.

2013 is our best shot to win it all. I rather win one championship, then break down what will be an old declining team in 2014 and start rebuilding through the draft for a new future after Melo, Stat, Chandler are pass their primes.

We have to WIN NOW if we're keeping Melo, Stat, and Tyson as the core. I'm against that mentality and like the way Chicago, OKC, and Spurs do their franchise
Fans don't understand that the Knicks haven't won in thirty nine years. Plus, our current core is going to be around a good number of years, it's not like spending the MLE on someone that age is gonna crush the future.

RealNYK78

Rookie
Nash = No Lin... So no Nash...

Nash is old legs and Defense Liability..Amare wants him because he doesn't want to learn to post...You need Defense to win in the East....A back up like Miller Flynn..or even Felton..makes more sense cause Lin is goin got start..You can't give Nash 3yr deal...Unless we had a Stud at 2nd Guard which we don't...

NYKnicks15

Starter
Wouldn't it be interesting if since Houston is trying to land a "big name" player if they can't land Dwight Howard (rumors lean to Josh Smith) that they take a chance on say Amare for a very discounted price?

They have a lot of cap space (22 million at least I believe) and if are interested in making a splash they use that to trade for Amare (probably a pick or two at most) and sign Steve Nash as well. Theyd have the money to do both and with the old Western conference connection it's a possibility.. just an interesting thought.. and wishful thinking :)

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Wouldn't it be interesting if since Houston is trying to land a "big name" player if they can't land Dwight Howard (rumors lean to Josh Smith) that they take a chance on say Amare for a very discounted price?

They have a lot of cap space (22 million at least I believe) and if are interested in making a splash they use that to trade for Amare (probably a pick or two at most) and sign Steve Nash as well. Theyd have the money to do both and with the old Western conference connection it's a possibility.. just an interesting thought.. and wishful thinking :)
nobody wants amare.. i hear bobcats are shopping there 2nd pick in the draft maybe they are desperate enough to trade it to us for Amare lol

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Nash will ball at a high level for AT LEAST three more years.

Look at Jason Kidd, they said he was too old when he was traded to Dallas, but he won the championship after more years on the body.

Paul1355

All Star
I would rather not have both Nash and Mike D than have both Nash and Mike D....thats how bad of a coach Mike D is