Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smith leaning toward staying with Knicks (will opt-in)

Originally Posted by skisloper
    I guess I am assuming Grunwald will fill the bench up with the same skill he did with Lin and Novak. I also think we did good in the draft with Shump and Jorts.....

I guess I would have felt better about JR if Woodson sat him so yes its not entirely his fault......Woodson scares me as well...

I just want winners on the team and JR's attitude does not strike me as that type of player.......

Listen if the union wins and we keep Novak and Lin for nothing then we should be able to upgrade our roster with maybe Nash or a real SG....

and at this point of Jerome Jordan will see no action I am sure him and fields or douglas can be shipped in a nice package,

Grunwuld does have the smarts to make the right choices, Our roaster was to depleted to sit guys and expect other guys to step in and help our only real option was Toney Douglas and he's awful to watch. I agree Woody puts TO MUCH trust in JR at times, when Fields was playing well he did keep JR in to long i agree on that end. But that was only one game, we were not winning the series regardless. weather Fields or JR was in because our bench was on handicap mode.

Im not a big fan of JR either, i like him coming off the bench for 2.5 mill or whatever he's getting thats a bargain IMO. a FULL training camp and i think he'd be just fine, Woodson seems to have him in check, he just over uses him sometime.

Iv'e been saying that lol, if the Union wins were in great Shape we wrap up Lin, and novak then make a run at Nash or Andre Miller either will be fine i prefer Nash but, Miller is just as crafty as Nash maybe not as much of a dominant floor general but he is a guy that can come in and get players the ball in their sweet spots. Then we can maybe sign a guy like Parker for vet min or try and bait camby for the vet min then sign a SG/SF in the second round. The options really open up to a higher level. Plus on top of that Novak and Lin said they were willing to take less to play in New york so we'll def have room to improve.

Id like to see Fields/jerome/TD packaged for a solid player that could contribute for us this season. doubt it happens though... but you never know

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718

Grunwuld does have the smarts to make the right choices, Our roaster was to depleted to sit guys and expect other guys to step in and help our only real option was Toney Douglas and he's awful to watch. I agree Woody puts TO MUCH trust in JR at times, when Fields was playing well he did keep JR in to long i agree on that end. But that was only one game, we were not winning the series regardless. weather Fields or JR was in because our bench was on handicap mode.

Im not a big fan of JR either, i like him coming off the bench for 2.5 mill or whatever he's getting thats a bargain IMO. a FULL training camp and i think he'd be just fine, Woodson seems to have him in check, he just over uses him sometime.

Iv'e been saying that lol, if the Union wins were in great Shape we wrap up Lin, and novak then make a run at Nash or Andre Miller either will be fine i prefer Nash but, Miller is just as crafty as Nash maybe not as much of a dominant floor general but he is a guy that can come in and get players the ball in their sweet spots. Then we can maybe sign a guy like Parker for vet min or try and bait camby for the vet min then sign a SG/SF in the second round. The options really open up to a higher level. Plus on top of that Novak and Lin said they were willing to take less to play in New york so we'll def have room to improve.

Id like to see Fields/jerome/TD packaged for a solid player that could contribute for us this season. doubt it happens though... but you never know
    I agree that Woodson did overuse him a bit towards the end of the season. We have to realise that there was a hidden agenda since Woodson took over, I really don't think it's unfair to assume that Woodson was leant on by the FO to give JR ample playing time and a large role so it increased his chances of staying.

As far as his attitude, he is showing signs of improvement. If anyone can control him, it's Woodson. In the exit interviews, JR said he wanted to improve his defense and ball handling skills. Still talk till he proves otherwise but when has JR EVER said anything like that before.

As far as everyone ripping on him for his 0 assist, 0 rebound effort in the playoffs GTFO. JR got 7 rebounds or more several times for us, and I saw him reach 5 assists like 10 times (even had a 9 assist game). I agree he needs to cut down on his shotjacking, but if he comes back for the 2.5m, he's a steal.

Veteran

JR has already shown a ton of improvement in his defense. We know he's a streaky shooter and Woodson has probably depended on him too much but honestly it's not really Woodson's fault because he literally has no consistent scorer outside of Melo since Amar'e's play so far this year has been awful.

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    JR has already shown a ton of improvement in his defense. We know he's a streaky shooter and Woodson has probably depended on him too much but honestly it's not really Woodson's fault because he literally has no consistent scorer outside of Melo since Amar'e's play so far this year has been awful.
    Agreed. His defense has notably improved compared to his time in Denver. Plus, I don't expect him to get the same volume of shot attempts like he did against our series vs MIA. The only reason that he did was because no one but Melo could make shots and we were out of reliable PG, making JR our primary ball handler.

Veteran

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    I agree that Woodson did overuse him a bit towards the end of the season. We have to realise that there was a hidden agenda since Woodson took over, I really don't think it's unfair to assume that Woodson was leant on by the FO to give JR ample playing time and a large role so it increased his chances of staying.

As far as his attitude, he is showing signs of improvement. If anyone can control him, it's Woodson. In the exit interviews, JR said he wanted to improve his defense and ball handling skills. Still talk till he proves otherwise but when has JR EVER said anything like that before.

As far as everyone ripping on him for his 0 assist, 0 rebound effort in the playoffs GTFO. JR got 7 rebounds or more several times for us, and I saw him reach 5 assists like 10 times (even had a 9 assist game). I agree he needs to cut down on his shotjacking, but if he comes back for the 2.5m, he's a steal.
    I will be the first to say JR can play. And yes once again if he can make smarter decisions, Not foul the guy behind the 3 point line and jack up fewer shots he would be a great off the bench player. My issue is do we need not see a common pattern taking place. A player is perfect for the Knicks if they change their game....I just do not see JR doing that, After watching him this season it appears he has a low basketball IQ or is just a selfish player. Yes he is good but we need winners to get us to the NBA finals.

Lets just agree to disagree.

I will be the first to say JR can play. And yes once again if he can make smarter decisions, Not foul the guy behind the 3 point line and jack up fewer shots he would be a great off the bench player. My issue is do we need not see a common pattern taking place. A player is perfect for the Knicks if they change their game....I just do not see JR doing that, After watching him this season it appears he has a low basketball IQ or is just a selfish player. Yes he is good but we need winners to get us to the NBA finals.

Lets just agree to disagree.
    So which "winners" would you replace him with? Keep in mind the salary situation.

Let's hear this...

Veteran

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    So which "winners" would you replace him with? Keep in mind the salary situation.

Let's hear this...
    Andre Hawkins

Let's hear this...
    I am not going to call this man a "winner", but if we miss out on JR Smith, I think a suitable replacement who's the same age would be Shannon Brown. He's every bit as athletic as JR is, & per minutes played I feel he could put up pretty much identical stats. His game is less based on isolation & more based off motion without the ball, which I think is what we need more of with Melo filling the ISO role on most plays. He excels in the open court & is a terrific finisher on the break. He could be a very dynamic player for the Knicks at the Garden & would provide plenty of highlight reel dunks that the Knick fans would go crazy for. Shump would start & Brown would be a nice 2nd option off the bench for some instant offense. Just imagine Jeremy Lin leading the break with Landry & Shannon Brown running on the wings. That's an alley oop dunk waiting to happen.

JR is too expensive and unreliable,
    it is better to find a workhorse type player ,someone like Reggie Evans and another role player for the same amount of money.

Andre Hawkins
    I knew you wouldn't have a good answer. Try again.

Originally Posted by KnickolasMGL
    JR is too expensive and unreliable,
    it is better to find a workhorse type player ,someone like Reggie Evans and another role player for the same amount of money.
    How is JR too expensive? He's only slightly above what he got from us, considering his playoff performance. I still think he adds value to a balanced bench. Balanced meaning he doesn't have to be the primary option off the bench.

Veteran

How is JR too expensive? He's only slightly above what he got from us, considering his playoff performance. I still think he adds value to a balanced bench. Balanced meaning he doesn't have to be the primary option off the bench.
    Two players names Reggie Evans and shannon brown I would rather have...

You like Woodson want to rely on a guy that you know has a selfish game...

Have u watched the Pacers, Philly, Spurs, Thunder ?

do you see how awesome it is to see team players making eachother better,,,,

If you think JR brings that then maybe u are watching a different JR then I am...

People saying his defense got better....How many stupid fouls did he create behind the 3 point arc ?

Melo ISO is more then enough we dont need JR as well........

sorry I am not a fan of JR .....Lets bring back Jamal Crawford too because he can spread the offense,,,,Oh Yeah their is defense as well...

stop thinking so one dimensional...

Default J.R at 2.5 is steal

He is a steal for 2.5 mil

We could still offer the bi-annual to Novak (1.98 mil)

And the Mid level to Lin (5 mil)

....if the ruling goes in favor of the league

If the ruling goes in favor of the union, then we can keep all these guys and have room for decent trades or free agents.

Two players names Reggie Evans and shannon brown I would rather have...

You like Woodson want to rely on a guy that you know has a selfish game...

Have u watched the Pacers, Philly, Spurs, Thunder ?

do you see how awesome it is to see team players making eachother better,,,,

If you think JR brings that then maybe u are watching a different JR then I am...

People saying his defense got better....How many stupid fouls did he create behind the 3 point arc ?

Melo ISO is more then enough we dont need JR as well........

sorry I am not a fan of JR .....Lets bring back Jamal Crawford too because he can spread the offense,,,,Oh Yeah their is defense as well...

stop thinking so one dimensional...
    Not sure how long Shump will miss out next season.
    Courtney Lee is a great all around G, team player, underrated defender. His catch and shoot fits perfect to Knicks offense. A much better choice than JR.

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
    Not sure how long Shump will miss out next season.
    Courtney Lee is a great all around G, team player, underrated defender. His catch and shoot fits perfect to Knicks offense. A much better choice than JR.
    I mocked him to us in a deal with Houston and Utah

Knicks- Paul Millsap, Courtney Lee and Patrick Patterson
    Rockets- Amar'e Stoudemire, Al Jefferson and Toney Douglas- re-sign Dragic
    Jazz- Kyle Lowry, Kevin Martin and Samuel Dalembert

Rockets

Jefferson-Stoudemire-Parsons-Budinger-Dragic

McHale wants 2 bigs to run through and the other 3 are great compliments to STAT and AJ

Jazz

Kanter-Favors-Carroll-Burks-Lowry

They move forward with Kanter and Favors and get some salary relief moving AJ and Millsap though they just made a good run to the playoffs their future is Kanter and Favors and their future is bright

Knicks

Lin-Lee-Anthony-Millsap-Chandler
    Shumpert-Smith-Fields-Patterson-Harrellson-Jordan-Rookie-FA

We get a more balanced team and 3 2-way players in Lee, Millsap and Patterson(this guy is what I call a winner). Millsap can get 18 and 8 within the flow of our offense, Lee is a very good defender and shooter and will compliment Melo like Afflalo did.