Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smith leaning toward staying with Knicks (will opt-in)

Let him leave or if he stays limit his minutes. JR is dumbass chucker, D'Antoni kind of player.

Let him chuck away somewhere else for a losing team that wants to get in the playoffs next year and get swept. Like Phoenix or Utah etc u catch my drift. This guy is a great player at times, don't get me wrong. BUT he doesn't have that winners mentality. That team firs brotherly love. I don't see that in him nor will I ever prolly.

Originally Posted by welcometonycity
    Let him chuck away somewhere else for a losing team that wants to get in the playoffs next year and get swept.
    Heck, even Fields is a better fit. Look at what he did in game 4 before he got buried on the bench. If you have got Melo and Stat on your team you don't need too much firepower on your two spot. Also the "spreading the floor" argument does not apply as JR didn't convert on a regular basis all season long. At this point I take Fields rebounding as a compensation for Stats weakness in that department any day. Also wait for Lin's return next season. It'll work wonders for Fields.

This thread is full of bullsh1t. Judge JR on how he was playing with Shump/Novak/Jeffries in Mob Deep when we were fully healthy. He was very effective in that role and wasn't forced to be a primary offensive option. You all know he goes hot and cold and if he had came up trumps against Miami you would all be on your knees for him.

Woodson won't take his **** next year it's really probable Woodson was told by the FO to give Smith a bit more freedom than usual in the hope he would opt in and stay for another year.

JR Smith > any other 6th man for the same contract pending he opts in.

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    Tif he had came up trumps against Miami you would all be on your knees for him.
    But he didn't. It's as easy as that. Mark my words and quote me on that, as I'd like to be proven wrong: We are not going to win anything with Melo and JR Smith on our team and Woodson as our coach. I see what they and it is not what is usually done on teams which are going all the way.

Originally Posted by pat
    Heck, even Fields is a better fit. Look at what he did in game 4 before he got buried on the bench. If you have got Melo and Stat on your team you don't need too much firepower on your two spot. Also the "spreading the floor" argument does not apply as JR didn't convert on a regular basis all season long. At this point I take Fields rebounding as a compensation for Stats weakness in that department any day. Also wait for Lin's return next season. It'll work wonders for Fields.
    Couldn't agree with you any more. We loaded up on firepower instead of roll players with "winning" "team first" mentality. Stat, Fields, Melo, Shump, Chandler. Everyone else can bounce for all I care. How many 3s Novak hit in the playoffs? We could keep Lin but I rather Nash. He's happy without scoring. Lin tends to go nut.

stay or go doesn't matter...

But if he stays he can not play point anymore because he gets frivolous with taking too many shots, need a true pg to control the offense and maybe with an entire off season we can modify his game... He has attributes that could help this team and free up Melo for more productive shots...

Originally Posted by welcometonycity
    Agreed. I like smith, he's alwas been one of my favorite players. I also bust ass with him in 2k. But he's not a winner, he doesn't have that team first brotherly feel to him when I watch. I want a guy with the passion like Reggie Evans believe or it not. (watching him play right now)
    Word. This sums up how i feel regarding J to the R.

To me, he's not a winning player.

I wished we could have signed Kenyon Martin instead of J.R.

Originally Posted by tripleaamin9
    Would have been a fairly pointless move at the time, Jeffries was playing great D and rebounding well. Martin has also been as up and down as JR for the Clippers.

Originally Posted by tripleaamin9
    JR is the reason we won a couple games down the stretch he hit alot of timely baskets for us, we would of seen douglas or Fields taking some of those shots and Missing probably costing us some games. I wouldn't mind having Kenyon either though oh well. Season over

Veteran

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Smith is 10,000 times better than Fields, despite his bad field goal percentage.

I doubt we can get a better second string SG than him for $2,5 so it would be a good thing to bring him back next season.
    Why is he better,,,,,
    Rebounding Fields is better
    Defense Fields is better
    Team Player Fields is better...
    Dumb Mistakes JR is better

Yes JR is a better scorer ONLY when he is hot....

dude did you not watch JR just simply destroy us in games....wake up

Veteran

Originally Posted by PaPZ187
    Yeah I agree, for 2.5 he is definitely worth keeping without question. His playoff performance was extremely disappointing to say the least, but there arent many 2 guards with his talent coming off the bench for 2.5.

Personally I hope he opts in.
    Besides scoring when he is hot...what is his talent ?

Veteran

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    JR is the reason we won a couple games down the stretch he hit alot of timely baskets for us, we would of seen douglas or Fields taking some of those shots and Missing probably costing us some games. I wouldn't mind having Kenyon either though oh well. Season over

And JR Is the reason we lost the pacer game after being up 18....
    JR sucked in the playoffs...
    and last game against the HEAT he had 0000000 rebounds/assists/steals/ in 36 minutes,,,

when will you guys ever learn we need winners...we need role players...we do not need players that blow hot and cold....why is that so hard to digest...

" JR would be great if Woodson Reign 's him in " Thats BS.......JR IS WHO he is and he idoes not make our Knicks team better...
    and Woodson asking him to learn the point in his exit interview makes me think that Woodson is a moron.

Originally Posted by skisloper
    And JR Is the reason we lost the pacer game after being up 18....
    JR sucked in the playoffs...
    and last game against the HEAT he had 0000000 rebounds/assists/steals/ in 36 minutes,,,

when will you guys ever learn we need winners...we need role players...we do not need players that blow hot and cold....why is that so hard to digest...

" JR would be great if Woodson Reign 's him in " Thats BS.......JR IS WHO he is and he idoes not make our Knicks team better...
    and Woodson asking him to learn the point in his exit interview makes me think that Woodson is a moron.
    Indeed he did suck in the playoffs, how ever we went with what we felt we needed and JR smith coming off the bench is exactly what we needed. There's a reason we didn't go hard after Kenyon Martin, we could of easily went all in for him. We needed more SCORING off the bench and thats what we got everyone knows JR either shoots you in the game or shoots you out. It's not a coincidence we "ALL OF A SUDDEN HAD A DEEP BENCH AFTER JR CAME HERE".

Your complaining about his playoff production, yet i guarantee you it would of been 10x worse for us without JR, unless your betting your money Fields, or Novak was going to exactly get some shots off against the heat, maybe martin could of showed you his offensive talents we never new about? if im not mistaken JR was a key down the stretch sparing us timely buckets leading us to our first playoff victory in how long?

If JR opts in thats a PLUS for us, regarding the little amount he'd be coming here for.

You actually NEED a guy like JR on your team, to take pressure off guys like "Melo" or "Amare"

You say we need "role players" well these roll players you speak of don't come cheap nor will they magically fall in your lap. Unfortunately we have 2 (SUPERSTARS) sucking up cap-space so you get what you can get your JJ Bareas, Nick collinsons ,Jason terrys, shawn marions, korvers and all these roll players you speak of dont come cheap you need cap space for this stuff which we dont have. a Roll player for the knicks is a dam johnny flynn, jared jeffries, Toney douglas, something you can actually afford like i said if you can get a guy like JR cheap if he opts in thats a PLUS

God i hope we score on Nash or the Union wins the linsanity rule for the bird rights because, if not dont expect MUCH of a roaster Shakeup Say hello to Fields, (NOVAK) if your lucky and whatever crap were scraping up for vet min, once the **** hits the fan and your forced to watch our players scrambling east and west because nobody can beat their man off the dribble maybe some of you would appreciate what JR brung to the table. Dont count on shump either dudes going to be out couple months.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; May 16, 2012 at 07:25.