Smith leaning toward staying with Knicks (will opt-in)

mafra

Legend
J.R. Smith is said to be leaning toward opting in and staying with the Knicks next season.

He has a $2.5 player option and sent out an ominous tweet about leaving the Knicks on Wednesday night, but back pedaled the next day. Smith hit just 3-of-15 shots in the final loss of the season and caught the ire of many Knicks fans after the game on Twitter. Had Smith been better in the playoffs (he shot just 31.6 percent), opting out might be a viable option, but as it stands now, chances are he's going to take the $2.5 million and return to the Knicks next season.

(From Rotoworld)

---------------------
Smith leaning toward staying with Knicks

(NY Post)

J.r. Smith said yesterday he was just joking on his Twitter feed Wednesday night and didn?t mean to threaten Knicks fans that he is departing.

In fact, the Post has learned Smith is leaning toward opting into the final year of his contract with the new CBA?s structure for middle class players.

Smith stands to make $2.5 million next season, but his lousy playoff in which he shot 31 percent could lead him to return.

Smith was being attacked on Twitter after his 3 of 15 dud in Game 5?s series-ending loss. Smith tweeted late Wednesday night: ?Damn, didn?t know this many people don?t want me in New York. Might just get what you asking for.??

Yesterday, Smith laughed when asked about the threat.

?A lot of people were talking stuff,?? Smith said. ? I was just messing, nothing serious.??

Asked about whether he?d opt-out, which would assure his departure, Smith said he would talk to Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald and his agent Leon Rose.

?The way the economy is working nowadays, I don?t even know,?? said Smith, who signed with the Knicks in February after a failed stint in China. said. ?In my heart I believe I am [worth more than $2.5M]. But you got a look at it from a standpoint of where everyone else is as well.??

? Marc Berman

Smith is from Freehold, N.J. and sounded like he doesn?t want to move. ?Without a doubt, I wouldn?t want to play anywhere else,? Smith said. ?It?s the great place to play. This is my home.??

orangeblobman

Rotation player
He didn't do himself any favors by stinking the joint in First Round but I don't see why he cannot get more than 2.5m$ somewhere.

He's a 5 to 7m$ player that has a lot of spring left.

tiger0330

Legend
He'll leave if he gets a better offer. The new CBA makes it tougher for him to get that better offer.

I doubt anyone with cap space is going to sign him for more than the MLE.

Have to look at the FAs available and the teams that have the MLE available to see what the chances are that he'll be able to get the MLE from some team. Anyone got a feel for this?

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
GooD opt-in, Trade OUT. He should be a nice piece we can trade for another serviceable need.

Nice back up PG,SF,or PF with def tenacity and a mid range J.

Smith is 10,000 times better than Fields, despite his bad field goal percentage.

I doubt we can get a better second string SG than him for $2,5 so it would be a good thing to bring him back next season.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Smith is 10,000 times better than Fields, despite his bad field goal percentage.

I doubt we can get a better second string SG than him for $2,5 so it would be a good thing to bring him back next season.

why you aint got Sprewell in your sig, I wish we had a Sprewell type on this team

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I wouldn't be thrilled if he did opt in, but if he does he's a steal for the price he is playing for.... say what you want about JR the dude is 6-7mill+ type talent, after his performance in the playoffs im sure his pay day just took a big crash... but still.... if he opts in its a steal, alot of teams would love JR's talent off the bench.

i-aint-even-mad.jpg

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
I wouldn't be thrilled if he did opt in, but if he does he's a steal for the price he is playing for.... say what you want about JR the dude is 6-7mill+ type talent, after his performance in the playoffs im sure his pay day just took a big crash... but still.... if he opts in its a steal, alot of teams would love JR's talent off the bench.

Yeah I agree, for 2.5 he is definitely worth keeping without question. His playoff performance was extremely disappointing to say the least, but there arent many 2 guards with his talent coming off the bench for 2.5.

Personally I hope he opts in.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Get him the **** out!! To be honest and I really hate to say this cause I truly am a fan of the knicks but you don't win with JR. We have to many losers on this team. If we bring in players we need them to be accomplished and winners. That's why I loved Billups hear; a veteran voice, a champion but also a leader. JR does nothing to improve us; and he takes away minutes from Shump.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Get him the **** out!! To be honest and I really hate to say this cause I truly am a fan of the knicks but you don't win with JR. We have to many losers on this team. If we bring in players we need them to be accomplished and winners. That's why I loved Billups hear; a veteran voice, a champion but also a leader. JR does nothing to improve us; and he takes away minutes from Shump.

Agreed. I like smith, he's alwas been one of my favorite players. I also bust ass with him in 2k. But he's not a winner, he doesn't have that team first brotherly feel to him when I watch. I want a guy with the passion like Reggie Evans believe or it not. (watching him play right now)

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Alot of people are bashing Woodson for letting JR run loose this season. I think alot of that was forced upon him by the FO so we increased our chances of JR opting in. If he comes back Woodson needs to shorten his leash, any stupid shots or excessive fouls and he goes to the bench. JR can be a fool but he seems to believe in Woodson and a bit of discipline early on next year and he may respond better than expected.

Plus he has been talking about improving his defense and ball handling skills in the offseason, he hasn't spoken like that before. Still words till he proves otherwise, but with the right guidance he could be a solid contributor and smarter player.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I hope he doesn`t stay. He can`t leave quickly enough as far as I`m concerned. We could do with one less selfish chucker.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Let him chuck away somewhere else for a losing team that wants to get in the playoffs next year and get swept. Like Phoenix or Utah etc u catch my drift. This guy is a great player at times, don't get me wrong. BUT he doesn't have that winners mentality. That team firs brotherly love. I don't see that in him nor will I ever prolly.

pat

Starter
Let him chuck away somewhere else for a losing team that wants to get in the playoffs next year and get swept.

Heck, even Fields is a better fit. Look at what he did in game 4 before he got buried on the bench. If you have got Melo and Stat on your team you don't need too much firepower on your two spot. Also the "spreading the floor" argument does not apply as JR didn't convert on a regular basis all season long. At this point I take Fields rebounding as a compensation for Stats weakness in that department any day. Also wait for Lin's return next season. It'll work wonders for Fields.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
This thread is full of bullsh1t. Judge JR on how he was playing with Shump/Novak/Jeffries in Mob Deep when we were fully healthy. He was very effective in that role and wasn't forced to be a primary offensive option. You all know he goes hot and cold and if he had came up trumps against Miami you would all be on your knees for him.

Woodson won't take his **** next year it's really probable Woodson was told by the FO to give Smith a bit more freedom than usual in the hope he would opt in and stay for another year.

JR Smith > any other 6th man for the same contract pending he opts in.

pat

Starter
Tif he had came up trumps against Miami you would all be on your knees for him.

But he didn't. It's as easy as that. Mark my words and quote me on that, as I'd like to be proven wrong: We are not going to win anything with Melo and JR Smith on our team and Woodson as our coach. I see what they and it is not what is usually done on teams which are going all the way.