Linsanity Rule could ease all our off season concerns!

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://newyorkpost.com/p/sports/knicks/union_suit_may_help_knicks_lin_bid_iaaLEsnqhFQtyhOSIgjqZM

WOW I hated the Union during the lockout, but am sure loving them now

Basically they are filling a claim that will allow teams to sign players in Lin's situation while preserving their MLE!

This means Lin could get signed, a player like a Felton is added for half the MLE and Novak is re-signed for the remainder....however we use it will no doubt be debated until it is done, but the point is that this is a huge victory for The Knicks if it goes through

And lets be real....why would Stern and Silver not want this to workout?

We'll see

Jinki?s

Rookie
Can you imagine... Nash running the show. Melo is our go to guy. Amare steps it up with Nash getting him the ball where he likes it. Chandler also gets some chemistry going there. We have the DPoY and one of the best, young, in your face defenders in Shumpert. On top of all that you could have people like J.R Smith, Novak and Lin coming off the bench? GTFO. That has to be a championship.

I don't think the Knicks would let the cash cow Lin walk, even though they know Nash would benefit the team more. But if they could get both... !

skisloper

Starter
Can you imagine... Nash running the show. Melo is our go to guy. Amare steps it up with Nash getting him the ball where he likes it. Chandler also gets some chemistry going there. We have the DPoY and one of the best, young, in your face defenders in Shumpert. On top of all that you could have people like J.R Smith, Novak and Lin coming off the bench? GTFO. That has to be a championship.

I don't think the Knicks would let the cash cow Lin walk, even though they know Nash would benefit the team more. But if they could get both... !

i would not let LIN walk based on his potential.....Maybe we can have a star for years to coming instead of always chasing everyone else....

any sick SG we can get at 5 million ?

CA7

Scoring Champ
i would not let LIN walk based on his potential.....Maybe we can have a star for years to coming instead of always chasing everyone else....

We could go for Shannon Brown I think he a FA maybe even Orange Juice Mayonnaise

iSaYughh

Starter
We could go for Shannon Brown I think he a FA maybe even Orange Juice Mayonnaise

^^^^ YES!

Yes to Mayo.

Granted, he would have been perfect playing for D'antoni, but look, like we all said during MDA -- a coach worth his salt needs to maximize the talent he has.

If we could get Nash in this scenario, you still absolutely do it, because championship windows are hard to come by, and we'd have a legit 2-3 yr window if we signed both Nash and Lin and Novak and JR.

Lin could definitely play some SG too as well as backing up Nash at point.

Nash-Lin
Shumpert-Lin-JR
Melo-JR-Novak
Amare-Novak-Jeffries
Chandler-Jeffries-Jorts

If we stay healthy, and assume Nash makes Amare even 75% of what he once was, I think we'd be right up there with OKC and MIA for the next 3years, and our eventual rebuild would be really nice with Lin/Shump/Melo as our ongoing core, + whatever picks we accumulate along the way.

nyk_nyk

All Star

Deshawn Stevenson comes to mind. A gritty and strong defensive player with good shooting ability. Plus he comes on the cheap. Got the bi-annual exception from the Nets this season. Can't see him demanding more than 3 mil.

skisloper

Starter
^^^^ YES!

Yes to Mayo.

Granted, he would have been perfect playing for D'antoni, but look, like we all said during MDA -- a coach worth his salt needs to maximize the talent he has.

If we could get Nash in this scenario, you still absolutely do it, because championship windows are hard to come by, and we'd have a legit 2-3 yr window if we signed both Nash and Lin and Novak and JR.

Lin could definitely play some SG too as well as backing up Nash at point.

Nash-Lin
Shumpert-Lin-JR
Melo-JR-Novak
Amare-Novak-Jeffries
Chandler-Jeffries-Jorts

If we stay healthy, and assume Nash makes Amare even 75% of what he once was, I think we'd be right up there with OKC and MIA for the next 3years, and our eventual rebuild would be really nice with Lin/Shump/Melo as our ongoing core, + whatever picks we accumulate along the way.

"- a coach worth his salt needs to maximize the talent he has. "
cant we just get players that are solid and not again rely on potential.....

This is Nash's last hoorah lets hope he is willing to take less money

tripleaamin9

Benchwarmer
I would rather see us get Andre Miller if this rule passes through. We can't go into the season with Mike Bibby and Toney Douglas as our backup Point Guards.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Give me Nash. Did you guys see him almost take that horrible Suns team to the playoffs. He can teach Melo and Amare basketball.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Two things about Felton.

1. He thinks he's a better shooter than he is.
2. He always wants more money than he's worth.

Doubt if he's interested in the Knicks for the vets min.

Felton would make for a great backup PG

His market value is low coming off a season where he shot the ball bad and had beef with his coach all year.

He will get no better than a 3 million dollar deal next year...the reason we may not get him is that he'll want to start and we can't promise him that.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I would rather see us get Andre Miller if this rule passes through. We can't go into the season with Mike Bibby and Toney Douglas as our backup Point Guards.

Yeah Miller would be nice....I see a team like Mia. making a strong run at him though, but he would be really nice.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Two things about Felton.

1. He thinks he's a better shooter than he is.
2. He always wants more money than he's worth.

Doubt if he's interested in the Knicks for the vets min.

If the Linsanity rule goes through... we could give him around 3 mil... what he's actually worth.
Then we have a great young PG rotation with him and Lin, and Shump as a combo 3rd...

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Don't want to be Johnny raincloud here but I need to remind everyone that the league is pretty hotly contesting this rule. Stern has said he believes it's a given that the league will win this dispute. The Union is attempting to push this as the rule in question 'may be open to interpretation', I have a law degree under my belt and generally unless the Union can prove beyond doubt that they are correct any benefit of the doubt goes to the league.

Still rooting for the Union though as this can ultimately move us from a 'dangerous playoff team' to a legit contender.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Don't want to be Johnny raincloud here but I need to remind everyone that the league is pretty hotly contesting this rule. Stern has said he believes it's a given that the league will win this dispute. The Union is attempting to push this as the rule in question 'may be open to interpretation', I have a law degree under my belt and generally unless the Union can prove beyond doubt that they are correct any benefit of the doubt goes to the league.

Still rooting for the Union though as this can ultimately move us from a 'dangerous playoff team' to a legit contender.

the union has a strong case

the entire contract goes through if a player is picked up off of waivers and bird rights are directly connected to the consecutive years on a contract or contracts

I think the NBPA wins this battle

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
the union has a strong case

the entire contract goes through if a player is picked up off of waivers and bird rights are directly connected to the consecutive years on a contract or contracts

I think the NBPA wins this battle

Oh thanks, I had only seen one article so far and it didn't include what you just said. Im from Australia so admittedly the rules & laws for sports arbitration will be different but I just wanted to show a more neutral side to the argument.

Who do you want on the MLE if this rule goes through for us? I think Mayo will command more than the MLE in Boston as they have shown interest and will have the cap space.