Is this a good deal for both teams?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Paul1355

All Star
Not sure if anyone posted this but it is worth a look....

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mave...1/lamar-odom-chapter-filled-with-new-intrigue

Here is a paragraph from the article that I saw from Hoopshype.com...

"Whether he meant to or not, Carlisle opened the door for speculation that the Mavs could be open to dealing Odom for a player of relevance. It would require packaging him with say, Shawn Marion ($8.6 million next season), for a high-dollar player another team wants to get out from under the contract, for example Pau Gasol in Los Angeles or Amare Stoudemire in New York."

So this article is saying that Odom is obviously available, and the Mavs might be looking to trade Shawn Marion as well.

If you trade both odom (8 mil) and marion (8 mil)...the salaries match with Amare.

Would you guys make this trade?

And would the Mavs take this? My guess is only if they can not get Nash or D Will they might pull the trigger on something like this. Dirk spaces the floor while Amare drives down low.

We can have a more defensive lineup with a better bench with Odom coming off of it. And Melo can play the 4.

Lin
Shumpert
Marion/Odom
Melo/Odom
Chandler

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I would do it from our side because you take whatever you can get for Amar'e. I'm not big on Odom (I think he's a bitch) and Marion is an old fart, but you do it because Amar'e's value will only decrease from here.

For Mavs, I think this will be good. D-Will, Dirk, Amar'e is a team that will challenge.

Hard to say, at first glance I'd say this trade won't improve us.

It's pretty much trading one obsolete good for two others.

Shawn Marion used to be a fine player, but he's very old now and thats far from ideal for an undersized wing relying on his athleticism.

Odom is just a trouble maker and always has been one. I don't want him on the Knicks.

Then there is still hope in me that we might be able to revitalize Amar'e with the signing of Nash.

tripleaamin9

Benchwarmer
I would do it for the reason it clears up Amare's bad contract because I believe Odom and Marion are expiring contracts. I would rather have Marion start @ PF then Melo.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
It's a damn shame if that's all we could get for Amare, but it does free up a little cap space long term.
Not really considering that Marion's contract expires in 2014...

2013/14:
Carmelo = $21.5M
Tyson = $14.1M
Shump = $1.8M*
Lintendo = $5.1M**
Marion = $9.3M
2013 pick = ~$1.7M***
--------------------
Total = $53M

*he'll be an RFA and his extension will probably increase way beyond standard $1.8M.
**including 3% raise in the 2013/14 season.
***depends on draft position, I assumed it'd be 17th pick.

Which all means, we'd be $6M (or maybe a little more) below the cap... assuming that our 2nd rounders would probably return (Fields, Harrellson, 2012 + 2013 picks) we'd be around the cap threshold...

Yes I would do it, you trade one horrible contract and one way player for 2 semi bad contracts (movable contracts tho) and get 2 two way players in the deal.

tiger0330

Legend
Pipe dream that would never happen. Stat to the Mavs with Dirk there and with his no D game, I don't think so.

They lost TC because they were only willing to offer him a 1 year deal so there is no chance in hell they take on Stat's contract.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Of course the knicks pull that trade, but why would the mavs want Stat lol. Stat will be at center? with Dirk? playing PF? Worse defensive front court. It could work from a offensive standpoint, but defense wins games!!

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter
ehhh idk about this but it proves my point that teams would be willing to trade for Amare. I keep telling ya'll its not if they can trade Amare it will they trade Amare.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
ehhh idk about this but it proves my point that teams would be willing to trade for Amare. I keep telling ya'll its not if they can trade Amare it will they trade Amare.

It's true, we have the same mind on the issue.

Amar'e has value.

Just how much, this is the question. But he can be moved if we choose to go this direction.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Amare's value is at all time low but I don't know if holding on to him would be the smart move considering that Melo's window of dominance may not be that long.

I also don't know if Dallas would entertain taking on Stat's contract. After that first round exit, Cuban will be very active in the FA market for a PG and C. Stat doesn't seem to be in their plan.