Woodson To Sign Long Term This Week

pat

Starter
but at least could get a shot of
3-15. I am sure I could get 15 shots of. How is that an argument? The guy has one of the lowest basketball IQs I have ever seen and this is basically why he kept hoisting up shots. I guess that's why Woodson likes JR so much. Birds of a feather .... Fields was at least moving without the ball and you can't possibly knock his performance in the first quarter of game 4, after which he for no apparent reason he got buried deep. It's as easy as that: Fields is a young, very cognitive player. Crush his confidence and he will start thinking to much in games and consequently he will play like crap. That is exactly what Woodson did. Apart from the game which Amare sat out, fire power should not have been the issue. Rebounding, steals etc. would have been infinitely more important and JR did not deliver on that end.

skisloper

Starter
Oh STFU with the Fields **** the dude literally was handing the ball the Wade JR was bad but at least could get a shot off, Fields shot how many air balls that series

Compare fields stats with Jr's stats per minutes for the 5th game and you tell me in some intelligent way why Woodson alloctaed Fields to the bench and let JR play the enite 2nd, 3rd and 85% of the 4th quarter...

dont worry about the rest of the seiries worry about game 5.....WTF was woodson thinking ????????????? maybe this is why he does not get teams past the 2nd round...

and as for someone saying melo played his ass off....Melo got Dantonio to resign by not trying......A huge character flaw on melos part....but the guy is smart and knew if he did not step up he would like a fool....

skisloper

Starter
I love what Woody has done in the regular season. I haven't seen Melo play that hard since '09. He really got the best out of everyone from an effort and commitment standpoint.

However, looking at other coaches with better track records (PJax, Jerry Sloan) wouldn't hurt at all. To the guys who are saying that we should resign Woody just for the sake of consistency within the organization, do you really think changing coaches now would destroy the team's chemistry and kill our chances for next season? In a span of about 30 games Woody transformed this roster to a gritty, defensive minded team. Just imagine what men like Jackson and Sloan can do with a full training camp and an 82-game season with the Knicks.

Knicks fans again ready to settle for mediocracy

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
No.

He would have been told by the FO to give JR a large role so he has a good chance of staying.

You mean to say the integrity of Woodson's coaching in the playoffs was tainted by the FO demand? If that's the case, he had lost all my respect for him, whats left of it anyway.

If not, then why did he have double standard for accountability? How can a coach with double-stadards ever earn the total respect from all his players?

Where did they say they're interested? I only see "sources". Do you realize how much of that stuff has nothing to do with reality?

Any top notch coaches will never come out and say, "I am interested in coaching so-and-so team." That will never happen.

They do have a way to get their messages across through the media. Media are like a double edge sword; you can use them to your advantage or you can die a slow death as their headlines. If that has nothing to do with reality, then this thread has nothing to do with reality either, as it is quoted by many SOURCES!

skisloper

Starter
You mean to say the integrity of Woodson's coaching in the playoffs was tainted by the FO demand? If that's the case, he had lost all my respect for him, whats left of it anyway.

If not, then why did he have double standard for accountability? How can a coach with double-stadards ever earn the total respect from all his players?

Any top notch coaches will never come out and say, "I am interested in coaching so-and-so team." That will never happen.

They do have a way to get their messages across through the media. Media are like a double edge sword; you can use them to your advantage or you can die a slow death as their headlines. If that has nothing to do with reality, then this thread has nothing to do with reality either, as it is quoted by many SOURCES!

You guys are crazy..........Woodson did not play JR as a sign of good faith to keep him here next year..............He played Smith the same way a 10 year old would in NBA2k..................he hoped JR would get got and start hitting....he ignored the stat line of other things that happen in a game....he closed his eyes and crossed his fingers JR would get hot......A PERFECT COACH TO TAKE US TO THE NEXT LEVEl...............

wOODSON DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE PLAY DESIGNED FOR novak ..............NOT A SINGLE PLAY............DOES THAT NOT CONCERN U

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
You guys are crazy..........Woodson did not play JR as a sign of good faith to keep him here next year..............He played Smith the same way a 10 year old would in NBA2k..................he hoped JR would get got and start hitting....he ignored the stat line of other things that happen in a game....he closed his eyes and crossed his fingers JR would get hot......A PERFECT COACH TO TAKE US TO THE NEXT LEVEl...............

wOODSON DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE PLAY DESIGNED FOR novak ..............NOT A SINGLE PLAY............DOES THAT NOT CONCERN U
I was just being sarcastic.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Really?

@christomasson: Jerry Sloan on interest in Orlando Magic job: ?Yes, I think so. It would be very intriguing. But they would have to be interested in me.??

Benchwarmer
Great news, I'm glad to see Woodson has a chance to
coach "our team" for another season. I think he deserves
the chance in light of how well the Knicks played after
D'Antoni left.

There is no miracle cure for any team. Even if they bring
another coach, it would not guarantee anything. In my
humble opinion, it all has to do with the right chemistry
between players, good players, and the chance for the
players to play the game with one another in order to
develop a good groove. (Along with a good defensive
coach.)

I have very high hopes for the Knicks next year!
:smokin:

c'mon guys. Fields was clearly shooting poorly this whole year and his defense was shakey. We are now a defensive team first. J.R. was the better choice (offensively and defensively) considering what the coach had to work with (atm).

Novak is only a spot up shooter...it was easy to take him out the game. His shine comes when the other players are making their shots.... But if he's used as a starter...his skill set is limited, his contributions will not be noticed in this fashion. He's a guy that gets the bulk of his points from being left open. Our injuries left us limited, I'm sure with time...the coach, novak (if he stays) and the rest of the team will figure this out.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I'm shocked at a lot of Woodson's detractors. Give a thought to circumstance before you rant, I say.

I thought he was most impressive throughout the vast majority of his short tenure as HC. The record alone speaks for itself, and with an injury depleted roster tackling the team I'd consider the 2nd best team in the league, Miami, straight off a finals loss and raring to go, nonetheless.

There were lapses in the playoffs undeniably, but this team was undermanned and adjusting on the fly throughout the entirety of the series: STAT - idiot - Shump, and of course Lin were not readily available at any one time. 3 starters.

Novak, an absolute non-factor, was shut down by impeccable defense, and for those that say there were no plays run for him, I retort that there was little use in doing so against Miami's perimeter patrol when considering Novak's capabilities separate from shooting. If anything I think Novak proved that his worth was subject to match-ups both individual and in terms of opponent.

● I don't believe that introducing a new HC is even in the realm of what you'd call a heady move. Celebrity signings haven't proven to work overly well for us either.

I believe that the fact he has had 70 games experience with the team's returning/pivotal players is important, and that given the natural talent we have offensively his defensive approach is needed all the more.

I believe that his re-signing being endorsed by Chandler, STAT, Melo and Grunwald is a good thing, as this team needs its alpha, and Woodson has shown that he not only can be but IS a beacon in that sense is important. If those 3 will stand behind him, that's brilliant.

I believe that his speech at Chandler's DPOY award ceremony - "I see Tyson as the perfect defensive center to go after a championship" - is important, again eluding to how he wants to win ~ defense.

I believe his tenure with the Pistons in their championship season is important.

I believe that his approach to accountability is important, too. That will ultimately be tested and verified by Stoudemire next season, I predict.

I believe that Anthony will be the player he needs to be more consistently under Woodson, which is MASSIVE.

I basically believe (for the above reasons and others) that his pedigree is precisely what this team needs considering we have about a 3 year window to achieve/over achieve whatever we can with a line up that will only change in terms of its role players. Anything considered beyond that window is absolute irrelevance.

When looking back on previous experience, Woody arguably has a better team than he did in Atlanta (though perhaps lacking in depth comparatively) and is a tried and tested winner that learns and adapts as history's shown.

I absolutely vote yes to Woodson after what the team went through under his reign, and can only see a full off-season and the pressure of New York forcing him to focus and lead.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Woodson has done a pretty good job improving the Knicks defensively. Why don't some of you guys like this move?

Because Knicks fans are idiots that's why. That being said, I think Woody earned a shot for how he handled the team through the end of the season and the playoff run. Major adversity with all the injuries and the team still played hard. Seems the players like him. Looking forward to the future...

CA7

Scoring Champ
3-15. I am sure I could get 15 shots of. How is that an argument? The guy has one of the lowest basketball IQs I have ever seen and this is basically why he kept hoisting up shots. I guess that's why Woodson likes JR so much. Birds of a feather .... Fields was at least moving without the ball and you can't possibly knock his performance in the first quarter of game 4, after which he for no apparent reason he got buried deep. It's as easy as that: Fields is a young, very cognitive player. Crush his confidence and he will start thinking to much in games and consequently he will play like crap. That is exactly what Woodson did. Apart from the game which Amare sat out, fire power should not have been the issue. Rebounding, steals etc. would have been infinitely more important and JR did not deliver on that end.

the Heat had James, Wade and Bosh all guys who can create for themselves and we had Anthony. JR added at least another option who can get off a shot himself. Novak/Fields were useless, they cant dribble and are weak defenders. We couldn't just keep going to Melo but we had to. At full strength we are a better team so I cant knock Woody for benching Fields and putting in JR. Numbers dont tell the whole story

skisloper

Starter
the Heat had James, Wade and Bosh all guys who can create for themselves and we had Anthony. JR added at least another option who can get off a shot himself. Novak/Fields were useless, they cant dribble and are weak defenders. We couldn't just keep going to Melo but we had to. At full strength we are a better team so I cant knock Woody for benching Fields and putting in JR. Numbers dont tell the whole story

Why do u continue missing the point,,,,
Game 5....JR was a ZERO across the board...and shooting horribly...
Fields shooting % was better,,,,,,

Yes JR can make a shot for himself but some of them use up the whole time clock and are off balance shots.....

As a basketball coach you must realize whats happenning before your eyes and Woodson had the same Dantonio syndrome of being stubborn...

I am all for giving Woodson 3 years but I pray that these things about JR u keep justifying or Woodsons inability to draw up a play in 5 games for Novak are mistakes that Woodson will not do again,

CA7

Scoring Champ
Why do u continue missing the point,,,,
Game 5....JR was a ZERO across the board...and shooting horribly...
Fields shooting % was better,,,,,,

Yes JR can make a shot for himself but some of them use up the whole time clock and are off balance shots.....

As a basketball coach you must realize whats happenning before your eyes and Woodson had the same Dantonio syndrome of being stubborn...

I am all for giving Woodson 3 years but I pray that these things about JR u keep justifying or Woodsons inability to draw up a play in 5 games for Novak are mistakes that Woodson will not do again,

I understand that but wow 1 game defines the fact the he shouldn't have played him more than Fields. There were games where JR had 9 rebounds, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 assists **** like that but thats when we had depth. We were depleted and our season was on the line so we put our best 5 players out there and hope for the best, if this was game 1 maybe I'd be mad but then again when Fields has that sequence of an airball, the came down we got the rebound and Fields pushed it on the break and just gave it to Wade that did it for me.

Fields was also useless vs Boston last year but then again thats Woodson's fault

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
Because Knicks fans are idiots that's why. That being said, I think Woody earned a shot for how he handled the team through the end of the season and the playoff run. Major adversity with all the injuries and the team still played hard. Seems the players like him. Looking forward to the future...
lol seems to be the the case. but he's done pretty much everything D'antoni didn't do and something the knicks needed to improve on. His previous playoff record can be a reason why lots of Knick fans are a bit alarmed. Thats understandable. But I think with the pieces and time he had he did a decent job. esp on the defensive end. for like the last month of the season the knicks were tops in defensive categories. Give him a full season, training camp, and better players and see where it goes from there.

skisloper

Starter
I understand that but wow 1 game defines the fact the he shouldn't have played him more than Fields. There were games where JR had 9 rebounds, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 assists **** like that but thats when we had depth. We were depleted and our season was on the line so we put our best 5 players out there and hope for the best, if this was game 1 maybe I'd be mad but then again when Fields has that sequence of an airball, the came down we got the rebound and Fields pushed it on the break and just gave it to Wade that did it for me.

Fields was also useless vs Boston last year but then again thats Woodson's fault

If Woodson was so content on sticking with JR maybe the sensible thing would have been to give him a few minute breather.....
he played the enitre 3rd and 4th until 3 minutes left in the game....
I am not saying Fields is our man but I am questioning Woodsons history of relying on a single players when it comes to offsense like he did in Atlanta....
On defense he seems to focus on a team game but on offense its not the same philosphy........make sense

CA7

Scoring Champ
If Woodson was so content on sticking with JR maybe the sensible thing would have been to give him a few minute breather.....
he played the enitre 3rd and 4th until 3 minutes left in the game....
I am not saying Fields is our man but I am questioning Woodsons history of relying on a single players when it comes to offsense like he did in Atlanta....
On defense he seems to focus on a team game but on offense its not the same philosphy........make sense

I agree he kind of looked at Melo/JR like Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford and relied heavily on them to win us the game

But to use the 1 JR game or this series to say Woodson shouldn't come back or JR should opt out is stupid in my eyes