Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Woodson To Sign Long Term This Week

Saw this on another site and thought it was well worth posting:

"First of all, championship coaches have to develop over time. If you limit your search to only include those who have won a title, you're looking at a very small sample size.

Doc Rivers was viewed as a coaching failure in 2003 after the Magic got off to a 1-10 start, and was fired. We all know what he did later with the Celtics. If he hadn't been allowed time to develop, nobody would know he was capable of.

The main point is that you need fresh blood into the coaching ranks. One of the reasons that the NFL is so stagnant in both offensive and defensive playcalling is because they keep on recycling the same names, over and over and over.

Woodson has shown great development as a coach. Witness his record improving each and every year at the helm of the Hawks. After he took over from Pringles, the team went 18-6 (.750).

So, he absolutely deserves a few seasons to show what he can do. At this point, its impossible to say that he won't develop into a championship-level coach. Its the right move to give him a shot, and preserve some stability within the franchise."

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    Sh1t can we at least give Woodson a full offseason and 82 games plus playoffs before we start bitching.
    One season, okay. But not a long term contract.

Originally Posted by New New York
    Plus....how can you blame our playoff performance on Woodson!

15 shots, 3 buckets, 0 rebounds, 0 steal, 0 assists. 36 minutes. Benching Fields for three quarters after his best quarter in the playoffs. That's how he is messing up team chemistry. He has got "coach's pets".

No.

He would have been told by the FO to give JR a large role so he has a good chance of staying.

No.

He would have been told by the FO to give JR a large role so he has a good chance of staying.
    A conspiracy as the basis of signing a coach to a long term contract. SMH

Veteran

Originally Posted by pat
    15 shots, 3 buckets, 0 rebounds, 0 steal, 0 assists. 36 minutes. Benching Fields for three quarters after his best quarter in the playoffs. That's how he is messing up team chemistry. He has got "coach's pets".
    Amen to that ...........Woodsons handing of Fields vs. Smith was a fkin joke....Every mistake Fields made and he was pulled out and benched...
    Woodson for sure has his pets.......Not designing ONE SINGLE play for Novak would have had Dantonio haters up in arms....

Originally Posted by pat
    A conspiracy as the basis of signing a coach to a long term contract. SMH
    No, he would have played him more so JR SMITH had a greater chance of staying.

I love what Woody has done in the regular season. I haven't seen Melo play that hard since '09. He really got the best out of everyone from an effort and commitment standpoint.

However, looking at other coaches with better track records (PJax, Jerry Sloan) wouldn't hurt at all. To the guys who are saying that we should resign Woody just for the sake of consistency within the organization, do you really think changing coaches now would destroy the team's chemistry and kill our chances for next season? In a span of about 30 games Woody transformed this roster to a gritty, defensive minded team. Just imagine what men like Jackson and Sloan can do with a full training camp and an 82-game season with the Knicks.

Oh STFU with the Fields **** the dude literally was handing the ball the Wade JR was bad but at least could get a shot off, Fields shot how many air balls that series

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Where did they say they're interested? I only see "sources". Do you realize how much of that stuff has nothing to do with reality?

Originally Posted by CA7
    but at least could get a shot of
    3-15. I am sure I could get 15 shots of. How is that an argument? The guy has one of the lowest basketball IQs I have ever seen and this is basically why he kept hoisting up shots. I guess that's why Woodson likes JR so much. Birds of a feather .... Fields was at least moving without the ball and you can't possibly knock his performance in the first quarter of game 4, after which he for no apparent reason he got buried deep. It's as easy as that: Fields is a young, very cognitive player. Crush his confidence and he will start thinking to much in games and consequently he will play like crap. That is exactly what Woodson did. Apart from the game which Amare sat out, fire power should not have been the issue. Rebounding, steals etc. would have been infinitely more important and JR did not deliver on that end.

Veteran

Originally Posted by CA7
    Oh STFU with the Fields **** the dude literally was handing the ball the Wade JR was bad but at least could get a shot off, Fields shot how many air balls that series
    Compare fields stats with Jr's stats per minutes for the 5th game and you tell me in some intelligent way why Woodson alloctaed Fields to the bench and let JR play the enite 2nd, 3rd and 85% of the 4th quarter...

dont worry about the rest of the seiries worry about game 5.....WTF was woodson thinking ????????????? maybe this is why he does not get teams past the 2nd round...

and as for someone saying melo played his ass off....Melo got Dantonio to resign by not trying......A huge character flaw on melos part....but the guy is smart and knew if he did not step up he would like a fool....

Veteran

Originally Posted by MeloforMayor
    I love what Woody has done in the regular season. I haven't seen Melo play that hard since '09. He really got the best out of everyone from an effort and commitment standpoint.

However, looking at other coaches with better track records (PJax, Jerry Sloan) wouldn't hurt at all. To the guys who are saying that we should resign Woody just for the sake of consistency within the organization, do you really think changing coaches now would destroy the team's chemistry and kill our chances for next season? In a span of about 30 games Woody transformed this roster to a gritty, defensive minded team. Just imagine what men like Jackson and Sloan can do with a full training camp and an 82-game season with the Knicks.
    Knicks fans again ready to settle for mediocracy

No.

You mean to say the integrity of Woodson's coaching in the playoffs was tainted by the FO demand? If that's the case, he had lost all my respect for him, whats left of it anyway.

If not, then why did he have double standard for accountability? How can a coach with double-stadards ever earn the total respect from all his players?

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    Where did they say they're interested? I only see "sources". Do you realize how much of that stuff has nothing to do with reality?
    Any top notch coaches will never come out and say, "I am interested in coaching so-and-so team." That will never happen.

They do have a way to get their messages across through the media. Media are like a double edge sword; you can use them to your advantage or you can die a slow death as their headlines. If that has nothing to do with reality, then this thread has nothing to do with reality either, as it is quoted by many SOURCES!

Veteran

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
    You mean to say the integrity of Woodson's coaching in the playoffs was tainted by the FO demand? If that's the case, he had lost all my respect for him, whats left of it anyway.

If not, then why did he have double standard for accountability? How can a coach with double-stadards ever earn the total respect from all his players?

Any top notch coaches will never come out and say, "I am interested in coaching so-and-so team." That will never happen.

They do have a way to get their messages across through the media. Media are like a double edge sword; you can use them to your advantage or you can die a slow death as their headlines. If that has nothing to do with reality, then this thread has nothing to do with reality either, as it is quoted by many SOURCES!

You guys are crazy..........Woodson did not play JR as a sign of good faith to keep him here next year..............He played Smith the same way a 10 year old would in NBA2k..................he hoped JR would get got and start hitting....he ignored the stat line of other things that happen in a game....he closed his eyes and crossed his fingers JR would get hot......A PERFECT COACH TO TAKE US TO THE NEXT LEVEl...............

wOODSON DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE PLAY DESIGNED FOR novak ..............NOT A SINGLE PLAY............DOES THAT NOT CONCERN U