This Knicks Draft Season

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer

CA7

Scoring Champ
I'd love Tu Holloway as our back up PG he plays with confidence and swagger like Shumpert

though he'd have to change his number from 52 to 25

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Scoop or Gtfo

-Has great passing vision

-looks to push the ball on fastbreaks + nice finisher on the breaks

-Excellent finisher around the rim, able to take contact and still finish

-Looks to shoot in the flow of the game aka no chucked up shots, majority of his shots are very good looks at the basket

-knows how to utilize the backboard

-Able to penetrate in the lane and makes the smart move once he is in the lane.

-attacks the basket Constantly (something this team is lacking)

The downside is he's not such a great FT shooter well at least not from what his stats show =\.and not so athletic ... but still a very intriguing pick for a deep second rounder.

I like his game, he looks like a suitable backup PG. I think he would be perfect for our second unit.. he has a nice feel for the game... kind of reminds me of Isiah Thomas from the Sacramento Kings... but more crafty&Stronger

of course youtube highlights can make anybody look like the best thing in the world, but from what im seeing he looks promising ...

BTW Tu Holloway looks VERY PROMISING as well... he looks like he would be a nice scoring punch off the bench and bring alot of energy. both TU and SCOOP would be nice pickups IMO.

Then again im no Scout expert there may be better picks available.. who knows

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
what do guys think about shurna?

shurna vs novak?

maybe he can be our kyle korver or dunlevy.
Iv'e looked at that shurna video multiple times now and ive come to the conclusion that If Jimmer Fredette and Landry fields made a baby his name would be Shurna. I say this because Shurna from what im seeing has nice cutting ability similar to landry fields and finishes around the rim similar to landry fields... but he also has the shooting range of Jimmer. :smokin: But Shurna vs Novak... idk shurna seems to have more to his game than just shooting the ball. But if your talking strictly shooting wise i honestly dont know, i cant really judge off one highlight video...shouldn't really judge a player at all off highlights lol, he looks like a streaky scorer though.

I think he will be gone by the time it's our time to pick

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Can one of the Mods sticky this thread and make it the official 2012 draft thread, the Draft is next month and will be hear before we know it.

Im sure people are just itching to make unnecessary threads on who we need to draft lets try and keep it organized

finestrg

Rotation player
I really like Kim English from Mizzou as our pick at 48. Been saying it for weeks..

How I like to look at this (who to draft) -- there will be a lot of good players on the board when we pick (48) that I think can help us -- this draft looks deep enough where we can get a rotation player there -- but if I could find something comparable elsewhere (a DL/Euro/undrafted FA at a rockbottom price for example), I'd look to secure said player first instead of burning a pick on something similar/identical. I'd try to draft a player I couldn't get going this route.

Look at Darius Johnson-Odom from Marquette...Ok, decent player with upside, no question -- 6'2" lefty SG with limited (if any) PG skills though which gives me some pause but still a decent talent. We could make him fit here as a nice little scorer off the pine. Here's the thing: there's a guy that went undrafted a few years ago out of Baylor---Curtis Jerrells---who I think is similar, maybe a better player. Definitely just as good a talent imho. I think Jerrells actually has more PG skills even though he's really a scorer himself too. My thing--why draft Johnson-Odom when we can get Jerrells for peanuts and then turn around and use the pick on something else? That's how I'd like the Knicks to look at this. There's countless player comparisons I could make just like this one...Our talent evaluation should extend beyond the draft -- it's got to include all the available players out there.

Kim English is a 6'5"/6'6" SG that shot the lights out last year from deep -- 45.9%. That's crazy good. Tuned in to watch Mizzou play quite a few times this year to see Phil Pressey and Marcus Denmon, but quickly came away impressed with English as well...Been reading that he's too slow, not athletic enough, a one-trick pony, etc. -- not true. What he is is an EXCEPTIONAL jumpshooter with range that can also put it on the floor a little bit to keep teams honest and defend better than average. I've actually seen this kid handle the ball a little and run the team at times too...Is he some above the rim athlete with crazy hops a-la Iman Shumpert or someone like that? No, he's not. So what? Neither is Ray Allen -- how has that worked out for him throughout his career? Didn't stop him from being a good player, did it? A top player in fact. That's who this kid really reminds me of at the risk of going a little overboard -- Ray Allen. We should consider ourselves lucky if he's on the board at 48. Getting a guy that can shoot the ball like he can at 48 would be a steal. I don't think he'll be there though which is why I'd hatch out a plan to move up a little to get him.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think we can use cash considerations to move up -- I believe we already used that option up when we gave Washington cash (along with a 2nd round pick) to take Ronny Turiaf off our hands right before we made the Chandler deal. Hopefully I misread that and we can use cash to move up..2nd round picks are always for sale. Remember last year how we got Jorts from NO, J. Jordan from Milwaukee the yr before, etc..What we do have is Jerome Jordan and Toney Douglas to dangle in a trade. I'd look to use these two players to move up in this draft. Jordan and Douglas are both 100% replaceable anyway and I want English.

Jon Givony over at draftexpress.net reported via twitter that Kim English looked great the other day at the NetsCombine btw. Givony: "Only one player you can say definitely looks like an NBA player in this 1st session: Kim English. Came out with his game face." Went on to say that "while all the other players are drinking water, Kim English decided to stay on the court & show off his sweet stroke," and that he looked "very aggressive" in a one on one/5 secs. to score drill. That's high praise from a solid, impartial talent evaluator...If English has a few more workouts like this, he might even turn himself into a 1st round pick. He'd be a great fit here as a complimentary player.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think we can use cash considerations to move up -- I believe we already used that option up when we gave Washington cash (along with a 2nd round pick) to take Ronny Turiaf off our hands right before we made the Chandler deal. Hopefully I misread that and we can use cash to move up..2nd round picks are always for sale. Remember last year how we got Jorts from NO, J. Jordan from Milwaukee the yr before, etc..What we do have is Jerome Jordan and Toney Douglas to dangle in a trade. I'd look to use these two players to move up in this draft. Jordan and Douglas are both 100% replaceable anyway and I want English.

we can no longer use 3 million to buy a first round pick due to including the 3 million to washington in the turiaf deal.....new rules allow u t only use that 3 million once a season.......................

I agree about using Jordan/douglas as a way to move up.....There must be something Dantonio/Woodson see in practice that not only makes Jordan get zero playing time but that we released walker to sign a big man to counter jeffries injury even though we had a 7 footer on the bench...

Kiyaman

Legend
u kidding me.... "we have draft picks?"

all this time I been searching the D.League for some decent propects at minimum wage, do to our (6 players) $58M cap.

Donnie Walsh screwed us big time in his 3 seasons by never trading for a future draft pick, but giving out our future Knicks draft picks at the drop of a dime.

finestrg

Rotation player

we can no longer use 3 million to buy a first round pick due to including the 3 million to washington in the turiaf deal.....new rules allow u t only use that 3 million once a season.......................

I agree about using Jordan/douglas as a way to move up.....There must be something Dantonio/Woodson see in practice that not only makes Jordan get zero playing time but that we released walker to sign a big man to counter jeffries injury even though we had a 7 footer on the bench...

Ahh WTF man -- I thought I read that...That's a shame. See, I don't get that -- technically, we made that Turiaf trade this past off-season, before this abbreviated season started, no? I don't see why our ability to use cash again THIS OFF-SEASON is compromised and didn't reset. It should have. The Knicks should fight that rule -- they may have a case.

Anyway, I'd love to see us use Jordan and/or Douglas to move up to the 30-35, 35-40 range and take English. Don't know if that's asking too much. Don't even know if English will be there 30-40 -- he might play himself right into the 1st round by the time the draft rolls around...Maybe we can also go the sign & trade route with Fields and/or Jorts for the same purpose. We could easily go out and immediately replace any one of these guys for peanuts if we so choose (and I'd agrue that they'd each turn out to be an upgrade):

Jerome Jordan --> Marcus Cousin - upgrade, much more polished 7 footer

Douglas --> Matt Janning, Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells - all big upgrades in my book

Jorts --> Jeff Adrien - slightly different players but comparable, possibly an upgrade

Novak --> Ryan Wittman - comparable, possibly an upgrade

Fields --> Jamelle Horne, Sylven Landesberg - upgrades

We only have 1 pick at 48 but I think we could still add a lot of talent to this roster provided we're looking in the right places.

Last edited:

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/20153/will-he-be-knicks-scoop-du-jour

Syracuse product Scoop Jardine traded text messages with Carmelo Anthony all year.

If he has it his way, he'll be able to throw him passes this fall.

"It'd be the easiest job in America. To throw passes to Melo and get out of the way," Jardine said earlier this week after working out for the Knicks. "It'll be a dream come true."

ncb_g_scoopjardine_cmg_200.jpg

Elsa/Getty ImagesScoop Jardine

Jardine spent four years at Syracuse filled with "ups and downs." He enters the NBA draft projected by some as a late second-round pick. Others say he will go undrafted.

The Knicks have the 48th pick. And they need a point guard to play behind/in front of Jeremy Lin. But taking a rookie to fill that role seems like faulty logic.

They'll also need a shooting guard to take Iman Shumpert's place early in the season, while the 2011 first-round draft pick recovers from knee surgery.

Landry Fields could be the answer there. He is a restricted free agent this summer.

If the Knicks don't bring Fields back, they might look outside the organization to fill the void.

Could Jardine fill that role? Again, the Knicks are unlikely to find a starter with the 48th pick. So Jardine won't be the answer to that issue either.

But the Knicks could be looking for a third point guard to play behind Lin and the veteran they sign to split the point guard minutes with Lin.

And that's where Jardine might be a fit.

If the Knicks do call his name, Jardine, who says he has lost eight pounds since school ended, will be elated.

After all, he'll get to be reunited with Anthony, the former Syracuse star who texted him motivational messages throughout his senior season.

"To actually play alongside him would be great," Jardine said.

WILL TU BE THE ONE FOR THE KNICKS? Tu Holloway grew up in Hempstead, Long Island, with his grandmother.

ncb_a_holloway1x_200.jpg

AP Photo/David KohlTu Holloway

If the Knicks select him in the draft, he's not going to waste his money on a Manhattan apartment. Holloway says he'll be moving back in with his grandmother.

"I'm going to live in my bed room and save some money," Holloway, a star at Xavier, said.

He was asked if he would still be eating his grandmother's food.

"I'll definitely be eating out of her fridge, but I'll be the one putting the food in there this time," he said.

Holloway was involved in the Xavier-Cincinatti brawl. But, he said, he isn't concerned about any lingering negative perceptions from the incident.

"If anyone checks my track record, I'm a clean-cut guy," Holloway said. "I've never had any legal issues, I've never had any on-campus issues or anything like that."

Holloway is projected as a mid-second-round pick by some. He said prospective employers shouldn't be scared off by his size (6-feet).

"I have a 6-6 wingspan and 10-inch hands," he said.

lol at Tu staying with grandma to save money but, smart.

Paul1355

All Star
thank you for making a legit thread on this, I need to know what is going on with the prospects

You should also search for guys that will be taken in the late 1st round and early 2nd because I am sure we will buy another pick just like the past years

Paul1355

All Star
IF we can buy another pick we should get John Shurna...he looked really good in those films

Now i know you can make Jared Jeffries look good in a tribute film but it is how he scores...he can shoot, post up, dunk, lay it up...he can do anything on offense really and he has long arms that give him the ability to block shots

He reminds me a mix of Landry Fields and Novak

For a PG, I am not sure, no great choices but I saw Tu Holloway play in college and i liked his game

Scoop Jardine sounds like he will be a knick just because he is a syracuse guy but I feel like Jardin just makes lay ups and nothing else.

We need a PG with some court vision.

I like that guy something-odom

any PG with some strength and court vision

FrazierVocab

Benchwarmer
IF we can buy another pick we should get John Shurna...he looked really good in those films

Now i know you can make Jared Jeffries look good in a tribute film but it is how he scores...he can shoot, post up, dunk, lay it up...he can do anything on offense really and he has long arms that give him the ability to block shots

He reminds me a mix of Landry Fields and Novak

For a PG, I am not sure, no great choices but I saw Tu Holloway play in college and i liked his game

Scoop Jardine sounds like he will be a knick just because he is a syracuse guy but I feel like Jardin just makes lay ups and nothing else.

We need a PG with some court vision.

I like that guy something-odom

any PG with some strength and court vision

We can't buy any other picks if im not mistaking. Btw a good point guard with court vision is Scott Machado check him out when you can.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Sleeper in Round 2

1336847724.jpg

Standing over 6'9 in shoes with a solid 7'0 wingspan, Mitchell Watt is a very good athlete for his size, possessing high levels of mobility, quickness, and coordination, to go along with solid explosiveness and power as well. While he doesn't have the greatest frame, it appears as if he could add some more strength to his 220 pound build without sacrificing much athleticism, specifically in the lower body. Regardless, he has at least good physical tools for a power forward or undersized center in the NBA, and very likely could do more to maximize his body as a pro down the road.

On the offensive end, Watt served as his team's leading scorer and first offensive option this season, despite seeing most of his possessions in traditional role playing situations. While Watt's back-to-the-basket game was the most featured aspect of his offense on the whole, he saw plenty of action spotting up for jumpers and finishing on cuts at the basket, which is beneficial for a potential transition to the NBA in the future.

Watt's jump shot may actually be his most attractive quality on the offensive end projecting to the NBA, as he has a very capable stroke from the mid-to-long range, while he saw nearly 25% of his field goal attempts in the half court coming in the jump shot variety this season. Watt hit for nearly 1.0 points per shot on jumpers this year according to Synergy while attempting very few three-pointers (he went 11-for-34 from deep on the season), which is certainly good efficiency for a big man specializing in the mid-range game. Watt boasts a solid stroke with consistent mechanics and backs it up at the free-throw line, where he hits for 74% on 5.0 attempts per game, more evidence of his strong shooting ability.

While Watt wasn't consistently featured in the pick-and-roll game this season (just 15 of his 465 possessions logged by Synergy were tagged as pick-and-roll), he certainly has an intriguing set of tools to play the pick-and-roll game in the NBA, being a more than capable finisher both hitting jumpers and diving to the basket.

As far as finishing in the paint goes, Watt did a good share of getting to the rim off the ball this year, be it in pick-and-rolls, cuts, or attacking the offensive glass. He shows good hands catching the ball on the move, very good coordination, nice extension to go under the rim, and good touch on finesse finishes. Watt also shows nice reactive athleticism elevating around the rim, especially when unguarded, but shows more trouble utilizing his athleticism when having to deal with contact. He doesn't show much propensity for finishing through defenders and seems to be lacking in his power game both with his upper and lower body, something he'll definitely need to work on to have continued success in this area in the pros.

The other intriguing aspect of Watt's offense is his surprising ability passing the ball, as he shows good vision and feel operating out of the high and low post with the ball. He does a good job being patient with the ball and is capable of finding teammates either spotting up or cutting to the basket, serving as an effective cog in this area of the game. Watt also does a solid job contributing in other little areas on the offensive end, making flow-of-the-offense passes on the perimeter and being active setting screens to free up teammates, being a solid team player in general showing a decent overall feel for the game.