Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lin may not re-sign with the Knicks

Veteran

Default Lin may not re-sign with the Knicks

Article on Lin re-signing with the Knicks. His agent is cautious and you can bet Lin is going to go to the highest bidder, the Knicks will have to match. Lot of factors involved in re-signing him, one being a team under the cap can offer him more than $5M in year 3/4 and keep their MLE. If the Knicks are over the cap in year 3/4 they lose their MLE.

Jeremy Lin's agent says there's no guarantee Lin will stay with the Knicks. Would it be a good idea for him to move?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"I don't expect that. We're not anticipating that's going to happen. We don't have assurances of anything," Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, said in an interview with the New York Post. "I know history shows most restricted free agents go back to their team, but I'm not going to assume anything. We're waiting to see what happens."
    Knicks coach Mike Woodson said earlier this month that Lin will "absolutely" be back with the Knicks next season. But Lin, speaking the day after the Knicks' season-ending loss to Miami in the playoffs, said "nothing is set in stone" regarding his free agency.
    "There's always going to be uncertainty until the final contract is signed, so definitely nothing is set in stone," Lin said. "Nothing's set in stone until it's really written."
    Thanks to a clause in the CBA -- named after [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] -- the Knicks can match any offer made to Lin this summer.
    Another factor in Lin's free agency is the expected arbitration hearing over the Bird and Early Bird exceptions to the salary cap for waived players.
    The union and league are at odds over whether the Bird rights for waived players should be transferred to their new teams. The union says the rights, which allow teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign players, should transfer for players who are waived. The league argues that the Bird rights should not transfer.

Knicks Blog

Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is significant for Lin because he was picked up off of waivers by the Knicks. If the arbitrator rules in favor of the union, then the Knicks would be allowed to exceed the cap to sign both Lin and forward [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], who also was acquired off of waivers.
    This would also allow the Knicks to use their $5 million mid-level exception on another player. If the arbitrator rules in favor of the league, the Knicks will likely have to use their mid-level exception to re-sign Lin and would be limited in their pursuit of other free agents.
    Lin emerged from the end of the Knicks' bench in early February to lead the team to seven straight wins, essentially saving New York's season. In addition, he provided a significant financial boon for the Knicks in merchandising sales and marketing opportunities. These intangibles are why many believe Lin is a lock to re-sign.
    But there is yet another wrinkle to consider: Teams under the salary cap can offer Lin more than $5 million per season in the third and fourth years of a contract offer, as long as the average annual value of the deal does not exceed the salary cap.
    If the Knicks were to match such a back-loaded offer, it may put them above the luxury tax in the third and fourth years of Lin's contract and prohibit them from using their mid-level exception.
    Lin underwent surgery April 2 to repair a small tear in the meniscus of his left knee. He tried to return during the first round of the Knicks' playoff series against the Heat but was unable to do so.
    Montgomery told the New York Post that Lin is "doing well" but is not 100 percent healthy.

no worries, he will re sign. but if he doesn't i can bet my life dan d-bag gilbert will overpay just to keep him off of you guys hands.

Originally Posted by REALHEAT
    no worries, he will re sign. but if he doesn't i can bet my life dan d-bag gilbert will overpay just to keep him off of you guys hands.
    Out of all the teams that might want Lin, why did you single out Cleveland? They already have Irving.

TBH I would say Lin will re-sign with the Knicks, I know this is a business and he's under no obligation to, but I just think he will stay.

Knicks are waiting for outcome of Bird rights challenge.
    Lin's agent is saying what he's supposed to say during negotiations.

I got a bad feeling Novak signs with the Heat

Lin's agent is doing his job. No surprise there. The more Lin gets, the more he gets.

I want Lin to stay in NY and I think he will. But I think no matter where he ends, he will thrive as he already made a mark. Heck, he will thrive even outside of basketball. Harvard degree. Chinese market. He is unique in the sports world.

Originally Posted by CA7
    Sigh. I want Novak to stay but let's see. If he goes to the Heat, he'll probably get a ring. Wow.

When does the decision go through?

Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    When does the decision go through?
    Probably after the Finals. Has to be done before the teams begin signing FAs.

Lin is unique. Paying MLE money for a guy with a 20 game resume is tough. Ramon Sessions only got a $4M deal after a couple of solid years in the league.

Teams are going to bid for him just to put us in a tough spot cap wise.

The guy really is a draw after Linsanity esp with Asians. When Yao was playing in Houston it was estimated he made the team $6M a year from marketing deals, jerseys etc.

If Lin does go, hopefully the Knicks can work a sign-and-trade and get some value back. Maybe even unload STAT's contract so we can get some cap back and not be so limited with what we can do.

Originally Posted by Sage
    Out of all the teams that might want Lin, why did you single out Cleveland? They already have Irving.

TBH I would say Lin will re-sign with the Knicks, I know this is a business and he's under no obligation to, but I just think he will stay.
    Dan still wants to bring some sort of excitement to that waste of a city. Plus he will do I out of spite

Originally Posted by CA7
    Funny you say that, a lot of Heat posters are thinking the same thing

Veteran

New G.M. Grunwald better be thinking one thing and one thing only....the trio of Lin-Sanity/Fields/Novak are the players (and the reason) for his new extended contract.

Letting Tyson Chandler & Jefferies Leadership run the show the first two weeks of February. change the entire philosophy of the Knicks format plan by using a style called "co-existing-players" to change a 8-15 record Knicks team into a 15-15 .500 record team.
    Watching Tyson, Jefferies, Fields, and Lin co-exist in the first game of a 7 game win streak, the 2nd & 3rd game led to Shump tactics, Walker tactics, and Novak tactics "gellin" within the format-plan to be called LIN-SANITY...

i always thought he would want to go to the Lakers. He still gets his opportunities in a big media market so endorsements are easy to get, he gets to go back to the west coast which has a significant Asian population, and he gets to play with one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Plus LA needs a point guard who knows how to run pick and roll with their bigs.

I would be sad to see him go but as a Knicks fan I've started to become desensitized to bad news.

Originally Posted by NYNYK
    i always thought he would want to go to the Lakers. He still gets his opportunities in a big media market so endorsements are easy to get, he gets to go back to the west coast which has a significant Asian population, and he gets to play with one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Plus LA needs a point guard who knows how to run pick and roll with their bigs.

I would be sad to see him go but as a Knicks fan I've started to become desensitized to bad news.
    Lin/STAT for Bynum/MWP

Tyson for Josh Smith

Sign Hinrich

Hinrich/Shumpert/Anthony/Smith/Bynum

Just did that in NBA 2K12