Lin may not re-sign with the Knicks

tiger0330

Legend
The Lakers will never in a million years trade Bynum for Amare.......and Lin.
The only player the Lakers will trade Drew for is Dwight. The Lakers would laugh hysterically at that offer.
I agree, they traded Pau already and I don't think he'll be a Laker next season. Stat/Lin for Pau/Blake or Sessions they might do though.

CA7

Scoring Champ
If Lin bolts we need to go after

Eric Bledsoe
Kyle Lowry
DJ Augustine

all could be available

I seen a Bledsoe for Fields swap mocked online if we dont wanna get capped trying to keep Lin

FrazierVocab

Benchwarmer
I really don't see why we should go out of our way to be the highest offer for him. If he would rather choose a place like say Toronto because they can offer him twice the amount of money to be the fan horde over there.. by all means let him go because if thats the case evidently he doesn't want New York as much as New York wants him. They could draft Scott Machado who's arguably the best passer in this years draft and would help them out financially. Here are his numbers from last year 23.48 PER?13.6 PPG?9.9 APG?4.9 RPG?1.6 SPG?49.5% FG

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
I agree, they traded Pau already and I don't think he'll be a Laker next season. Stat/Lin for Pau/Blake or Sessions they might do though.

No one is touching Amare. Let's be honest. Why would the Lakers do that? He's due 60 million dollars over the next 3 years. The lakers wanna get under the cap plus his back his busted. Looking at how he meshed with Melo or lack there of, how in the world would he mesh with Kobe, a melo type player but 100x better?

I heard Broussard say that the Knicks brought an offer up to GS regarding Amare and GS laughed and didn't even look at it.

After this horrid season from amare, his value went down, like a lot. But I won't totally write off a team trading for Amate bc we still have stupid GMs like Kahn out there

Regarding Sessions, I think the Knicks should have tried to get him at the dead line. I always thought he was a nice fit here. Blake, I would not even trade for him. It's pick your position with him or Bibby.

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer

No one is touching Amare. Let's be honest. Why would the Lakers do that? He's due 60 million dollars over the next 3 years. The lakers wanna get under the cap plus his back his busted. Looking at how he meshed with Melo or lack there of, how in the world would he mesh with Kobe, a melo type player but 100x better?

I heard Broussard say that the Knicks brought an offer up to GS regarding Amare and GS laughed and didn't even look at it.

After this horrid season from amare, his value went down, like a lot. But I won't totally write off a team trading for Amare bc we still have stupid GMs like Kahn out there
Regarding sessions, I feel the Knicks should have tried to get him at the dead line. I always thought he would be a nice fit here. And blake, I wouldn't even trade for him. It's pick your poison with him and Bibby.

LV&C

Benchwarmer
Why are we calling Lin a star he's played 2 months in a number inflating system

Melo and STAT are both better than Lin so please stop with the bull ****

Also Lin doesn't have the right nor the privilege to get big headed after 8 weeks on controlling the ball the entire game and having every Asian in New York scream his name he's gotta earn it just like everyone else has

LOL. You really hate Lin with a passion. You don't have to say it but it shows.

Anyway, Lin will be ok no matter where he goes. There will be upsides to him when he leaves. Many do not want him in NY anyway and many of his fans say that staying would actually hinder his growth.

fender0577

Rotation player
LOL. You really hate Lin with a passion. You don't have to say it but it shows.

Anyway, Lin will be ok no matter where he goes. There will be upsides to him when he leaves. Many do not want him in NY anyway and many of his fans say that staying would actually hinder his growth.
Dude, i don't think he hates LIN, i think he hates all the crap that comes with LIN, all the fake fans, that came out of no where, saying lin is the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc., you know i had some one on this board tell me, they haven't watched the NBA since Jordan, but Lin made them start watching the game again, and he was actually trying to school me, about the game, that he hasn't seen in 10 years, LMAO.So we have all these great young stars in the league, and you came back because of Jeremy Lin?So i understand why CA7, would get a little beside him self, when he see's threads like trade, STAT and MELO, and build around Lin, is he a good player?Potentially, i say that because, he only played 3 weeks of good basketball, but i'm not building around a guy, who's played 3 weeks of good basketball.It's like if you don't love lin, you hate him, I'm in the middle, i like the kid, but lets try to develope him and see what we have, before building around him.

Dude, i don't think he hates LIN, i think he hates all the crap that comes with LIN, all the fake fans, that came out of no where, saying lin is the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc., you know i had some one on this board tell me, they haven't watched the NBA since Jordan, but Lin made them start watching the game again, and he was actually trying to school me, about the game, that he hasn't seen in 10 years, LMAO.So we have all these great young stars in the league, and you came back because of Jeremy Lin?So i understand why CA7, would get a little beside him self, when he see's threads like trade, STAT and MELO, and build around Lin, is he a good player?Potentially, i say that because, he only played 3 weeks of good basketball, but i'm not building around a guy, who's played 3 weeks of good basketball.It's like if you don't love lin, you hate him, I'm in the middle, i like the kid, but lets try to develope him and see what we have, before building around him.

Yes, everything you said is so obvious...

I really like Lin but much of the stuff people are saying about him is insane and only shows they know very little about the game. Lin himself wouldn't agree to a lot of the nonsense being said about him.

LV&C

Benchwarmer

All I'm saying is, if on every post you have to say the same thing again and again about a player, then you clearly have an issue with that player. Dude, we are all fans here. Who are we to judge on other fans? My word, do we even have to compete on what a fan is?

Bunta

Benchwarmer
No one need worry about Lin choosing another team, the max he can be offered is equal to the MLE and he is a restricted free agent, if the Knicks want him they will have him.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I love Lin. I think he will be wasted on this Knicks team.

I pray that he will find some way to leave this team.

Playing with Melo and JR is detrimental to Lin's career. He needs to be set free to roam the hardwoods, dish the rocks; Lin needs to play BASKETBALL, not MELOBALL.

Bharan

Rookie
Jeremy Lin brings in to much revenue to the New York Knicks franchise for James Dolan to let him go.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
I love Lin. I think he will be wasted on this Knicks team.

I pray that he will find some way to leave this team.

Playing with Melo and JR is detrimental to Lin's career. He needs to be set free to roam the hardwoods, dish the rocks; Lin needs to play BASKETBALL, not MELOBALL.

Are you a Jeremy Lin fan or a Knicks fan?

fakeknicksfan

Benchwarmer
LA Lakers just offered him a contract. Knicks might not be able to match that contract. It makes a lot of sense since so many Chinese live in LA.

LA Lakers just offered him a contract. Knicks might not be able to match that contract. It makes a lot of sense since so many Chinese live in LA.

Free Agency begins on July 1st. So teams can't even start negotiating with player's agents yet, unless they want to be accused of Tampering. With the exception of certain types of contracts like qualifying offers and rookie scales, you're not going to be allowed to sign a free agent until the July Moratorium expires (July 10th this year) after the off-season's audits and salary caps are set. I see nothing in the news about the Lakers having "just offered offered him a contract." Besides, there are lots of places with huge local asian-american populations that could benefit from Linsanity, not just LA. Toronto is another example with a large local ethnic chinese population, and I'm sure there may be others. And it's not like you have to be asian-american to like Linsanity, any more than you have to be black to vote for Barack Obama, or white to like the Scarlett Johannson. As a matter of fact, didn't they release a Nielson study that showed Jeremy Lin had the highest likability and marketability out of all the NBA players with mainstream America?

tiger0330

Legend
Free Agency begins on July 1st. So teams can't even start negotiating with player's agents yet, unless they want to be accused of Tampering. With the exception of certain types of contracts like qualifying offers and rookie scales, you're not going to be allowed to sign a free agent until the July Moratorium expires (July 10th this year) after the off-season's audits and salary caps are set. I see nothing in the news about the Lakers having "just offered offered him a contract." Besides, there are lots of places with huge local asian-american populations that could benefit from Linsanity, not just LA. Toronto is another example with a large local ethnic chinese population, and I'm sure there may be others. And it's not like you have to be asian-american to like Linsanity, any more than you have to be black to vote for Barack Obama, or white to like the Scarlett Johannson. As a matter of fact, didn't they release a Nielson study that showed Jeremy Lin had the highest likability and marketability out of all the NBA players with mainstream America?
Good info. Pretty sure Fake was trolling with that Laker offer for Lin.

Paul1355

All Star
Article on Lin re-signing with the Knicks. His agent is cautious and you can bet Lin is going to go to the highest bidder, the Knicks will have to match. Lot of factors involved in re-signing him, one being a team under the cap can offer him more than $5M in year 3/4 and keep their MLE. If the Knicks are over the cap in year 3/4 they lose their MLE.

espn_sportsnation_80.gif
Jeremy Lin's agent says there's no guarantee Lin will stay with the Knicks. Would it be a good idea for him to move?
? Cast your vote!

"I don't expect that. We're not anticipating that's going to happen. We don't have assurances of anything," Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, said in an interview with the New York Post. "I know history shows most restricted free agents go back to their team, but I'm not going to assume anything. We're waiting to see what happens."
Knicks coach Mike Woodson said earlier this month that Lin will "absolutely" be back with the Knicks next season. But Lin, speaking the day after the Knicks' season-ending loss to Miami in the playoffs, said "nothing is set in stone" regarding his free agency.
"There's always going to be uncertainty until the final contract is signed, so definitely nothing is set in stone," Lin said. "Nothing's set in stone until it's really written."
Thanks to a clause in the CBA -- named after Gilbert Arenas -- the Knicks can match any offer made to Lin this summer.
Another factor in Lin's free agency is the expected arbitration hearing over the Bird and Early Bird exceptions to the salary cap for waived players.
The union and league are at odds over whether the Bird rights for waived players should be transferred to their new teams. The union says the rights, which allow teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign players, should transfer for players who are waived. The league argues that the Bird rights should not transfer.

Knicks Blog

nyk.gif
Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

This is significant for Lin because he was picked up off of waivers by the Knicks. If the arbitrator rules in favor of the union, then the Knicks would be allowed to exceed the cap to sign both Lin and forward Steve Novak, who also was acquired off of waivers.
This would also allow the Knicks to use their $5 million mid-level exception on another player. If the arbitrator rules in favor of the league, the Knicks will likely have to use their mid-level exception to re-sign Lin and would be limited in their pursuit of other free agents.
Lin emerged from the end of the Knicks' bench in early February to lead the team to seven straight wins, essentially saving New York's season. In addition, he provided a significant financial boon for the Knicks in merchandising sales and marketing opportunities. These intangibles are why many believe Lin is a lock to re-sign.
But there is yet another wrinkle to consider: Teams under the salary cap can offer Lin more than $5 million per season in the third and fourth years of a contract offer, as long as the average annual value of the deal does not exceed the salary cap.
If the Knicks were to match such a back-loaded offer, it may put them above the luxury tax in the third and fourth years of Lin's contract and prohibit them from using their mid-level exception.
Lin underwent surgery April 2 to repair a small tear in the meniscus of his left knee. He tried to return during the first round of the Knicks' playoff series against the Heat but was unable to do so.
Montgomery told the New York Post that Lin is "doing well" but is not 100 percent healthy.

there is a 75% chance Lin resigns because we can always just give him mid level for a few years and tell him he will be resigned for more money when certain contract like Amare's expires.

The only worry are teams like Toronto who can offer Lin mid level money for first few years and then bump it up to as high as they want for the last 2 years so an example would be like year 1:5 mil...year 2: 5 mil....year 3: 12 mil...year 4: 14 mil.....Lin might take something like that but I think he feels obligated to come back to the team that gave him a chance and made him special.

Goran Dragic had a breakout year and a year with similar numbers to Lin and no one really knew about him, of course Dragic has been in the league behind Nash and Lin was a d leager but Lin knows his fame is from the New York media.

Lin will resign, he loves the team too much, the city too much, his teammates and he knows Woodson is a legit coach. He can be the starting PG in the biggest media market in the country. Toronto or not, he will make so much money from endorsements.

STAT1

Starter

Actually it's San Francisco that has the large Chinese population (over 20% of the total population are of Chinese descent). Chinese people only make up less than 2% of LA's total population (~67K in total). New York City has a much larger Chinese population, just about 6%, or just under 500K people in total. & Yes, I googled this information. :cool: