Taking a Stand Against MeloWoodyBall

Bharan

Rookie
I can't wait for the 2015 or 2016 rebuild.

Right there with you brother. It will be the most excitement I will get out of the Knicks since the old rebuild. We had a good thing with W Chandler, Gallo, Felton, Mozgov, Stat. Of course we had to blow it up to embrace mediocrity with Melo and Stat. Not to mention the resigning of Mike Woodson.

Eyes wide, waiting for him out the door, Carmelo and Stats salary off the books, and what comes afterward comes. Hopefully we retain Shumpert, and Jeremy Lin goes free. I like the kid too much for him to have to defect to Carmelo everytime he goes down the court as per Woodson's offensive philosophy.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We have to ride it out until it becomes unbelievably apparent that he's just an average coach with no offensive creativity or know-how.

Why until? Are you suggesting that our deficiency will switch ends under Woodson? That he's the antithesis of D'Antoni and thus we suffer equally on the other side of the pendulum?

With the team we have, offense will (at least it should) come much easier than defense. If this team's approach is to win behind the DPOY and a well oiled and orchestrated defensive unit, the rest will (hopefully, unless Woodson is as much of an offensive dud as you say) fall in to place.

So I'm happy about that. In fact, it's what I've been hoping for. Now we just have to see the results ~ FA signings in and out and league decisions on waived players pending, I think we're heading toward the right approach for the team Dolan's payed for.

Until seems rather presumptuous.:2cents:

How about that MDA-based offense in San An, btw? Pretty fun to see the whole being worth so much more than the sum of the parts, when the right parts are in place being executed the right way.

I honestly have not seen a single Spurs game all season. What's so MDA about their approach? Parker making like Nash? No interior game for Duncan?

I have been sorely disappointed with a substantial number of decisions Knicks' management has made, particularly since the signing of Layden as the General Manager over a decade ago. But spilled milk is spilled milk.

We have recently paid a price in the unsuccessful effort of getting LeBron. It was a worthwhile gamble, but in retrospect it appears that LeBron intended to take his talents to South Beach long before the ridiculously staged formal announcement. I think we were played by team Lebron. Perhaps we would not have invested so heavily in Amare' if we knew it was not going to help in attracting LeBron.

I believe that for the next year or two, at least, Amare' is untradeable for anything that would add value or significant cap space. We are not trading Melo. I would do it for Howard or Bynum, but I do not think Dolan would.

Melo is a terrific offensive player, one of the very best. He has the athletic capacity to be a very good defensive player. And when he wants to, he can pass very well. Melo does not look as though he is in top physical shape, but he seems to play with the speed and strength of one in very good shape. He may be one of those persons whose outward appearance is deceiving. I am told that Mark Aguirre always looked out of shape and pudgy, but when the Pistons did some fat percentage analysis, he fared very well.

My problem with Melo is that he needs the ball and often plays --albeit with substantially good results -- one on one or two and with the rest of the team with somewhat better than front row seats.

I like Lin, but he also dominates the ball. Though the ball does not "stop" with him, it is only because he constantly moves with it, often finding an open man, but nonetheless using a substantial portion of the shot clock. This will frustrate Melo, who would prefer someone like Shumpert at the point who will defer to him and constantly feed him at that elbow where Melo likes so much to commence his ISO moves.

I am not sure that Lin, Melo, Amare' and Chandler, although all very capable, can work that well together. Woodson is going to have his work cut out for him.

For the next three years, we will have over 75% of our cap space invested in Melo, Amare' and Chandler. We do not have the ability to sign any valuable free agent. We have no 1st round pick this year, and none in 2014. I think JR will go where the money is. I am not sure about Novak. Other teams can offer him more than we would probably want to pay him. His opportunity for signifcant paydays is limited. I would love it if somehow Odom fell to us. But I think Brooklyn has a better chance of getting him than we do.

We will have a solid group, but a way must be found to get them to work together. The Spurs have done it with, arguably, less talent than we have.

Genius.

So if you judge a coach strictly off of past performances instead of current situations then we should've really re-signed Mike D'antoni then right? :teeth:

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Dolan learned from his past experiences, a "yes, sir" and "how high, boss" type of coach fits perfect into his system. He couldnt care less if Knicks ever gonna win a chip, for as long as the MSG stock price is high and attendance is full. He makes sure no one in his organization will rock the boat! No Phil, no Sloan and no risk!

As long as Dolan is at the helm, NYK will not win a championship. He only cares about the bottomline of this sports franchise and he should. He is running a business while we're rooting for a team.

IMO, we need a George Steinbrenner who won't consider it a success unless his team wins it all. Re-signing Woodson is a questionable move and probably will lead to another few years of frustration for us Knicks fans.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;237123 said:
I honestly have not seen a single Spurs game all season. What's so MDA about their approach? Parker making like Nash? No interior game for Duncan?

I have watched quite a few Spurs games and I am as puzzled as you are about their continuing success in the tough Western division.

Duncan is immobile. Parker hogs ball almost as much as Melo. Their scrubs were obtained from dumpsters but the minute they put on the Spurs uniform, they transformed into a team player and sharp shooter.

Maybe we should've hired someone from Spurs' coaching staff instead of Woody.

Kiyaman

Legend
I was actually waiting for more Posters to put down their thoughts/
opinions/and the direction this thread was headed toward.

Interim coach Mike Woodson gets a B+ for effort and player/coach relationship. There wasnt much any interim coach could do in a postseason series when Carmelo Anthony has the power to stop his paycheck (in 2008 Denver headcoach Karl & PG-Billups went to the WCF. In 2009 Denver assistant coach ??? & Melo got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs).
Theres more but I have to go........

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Yup. Dolan saw a bunch of dollar signs. Why not Melo, he's born in Brooklyn, went to college in state. Dolan wanted more sell outs, ticket prices etc etc. can you blame him? He's an owner lol.

But they were definitely looking in difference directions. Melo wasn't apart of the plan unless he'd come at no expense of the former team.

Walsh did a great job aquiring Amare and Felton that summer.

The stupidest part of the deal is that winning chips is the best way to ensure strong cash money.

Yea, Dolan goes for the short-term cash money. But winning franchises generate beyond even the decade they will win in.

Guy doesn't understand that the ultimate money-maker is the ****ing championship team.

Hey, Fat Fingers Jimmy: you suck.

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
The stupidest part of the deal is that winning chips is the best way to ensure strong cash money.

Yea, Dolan goes for the short-term cash money. But winning franchises generate beyond even the decade they will win in.

Guy doesn't understand that the ultimate money-maker is the ****ing championship team.

Hey, Fat Fingers Jimmy: you suck.

Prime example for that are the Bulls. I can honestly say they are still benefiting from the Jordan Era. But Idk what was going on in Dolans head. I guess we will all see what moves the Knicks make this summer. Just hope they don't buy into the Lin thing long term. ( Absolutely no offense to the kid ). But we will all see.

fender0577

Rotation player
You have Woodson, who averaged 34 wins per year over 6 years with Atlanta.

That's 6 years, averaging 34 wins per year.

Then they signed Joe Johnson and the strategy became "give the ball to Joe Johnson". The Joe Johnson/ Woodson Hawks went on to get eaten alive in the playoffs, as if they were little rabbits. Nom nom nom I eat the rabbit.

Carmelo, he's a poor basketball player who does not understand that hoops is a team game.

I think we have a perfect mixture, a perfect recipe for disaster here.

Knicks can win some regular season games (I give them 44 next year), but they will ultimately suck balls.

I just can't get over the moves this franchise makes, I don't understand the moves:

1. Trade for Melo, stupid move
2. resign Woodson, retarded move

I just don't get it and I am frustrated as a fan, and I don't feel good about anything right now.

If you actually believe this team, with Woodson and Melo (Melowood), can do anything, ever, then you are drinking a lot of alcohol right now, maybe you are drinking every day.

No one can see anything good in the future for this team, sad to say.

I can't wait for the 2015 or 2016 rebuild.
How can you say that right now, after 29 games together?With all the injures, a lockout year, and a coaching change in the middle of the year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I have watched quite a few Spurs games and I am as puzzled as you are about their continuing success in the tough Western division.

Duncan is immobile. Parker hogs ball almost as much as Melo. Their scrubs were obtained from dumpsters but the minute they put on the Spurs uniform, they transformed into a team player and sharp shooter.

Maybe we should've hired someone from Spurs' coaching staff instead of Woody.

I've watched them in the opening games of the WCF, and all I can say is......DANGER! And Stephen Jackson, what the ****ery!? They bring him back and he becomes a workhorse on a tight leash. Coach Pop is that team's figurehead, and they know what they're doing under his banner.

Impressive.

I can't say that I see a whole lot of similarities to D'Antoni's overall philosophy, but the offense, at times, is very similar and well executed by all involved. Parker has been the catalyst of its fluidity - Ginobili......what can I say? Hoop god.

CoolClyde

Duncan is immobile. Parker hogs ball almost as much as Melo. Their scrubs were obtained from dumpsters but the minute they put on the Spurs uniform, they transformed into a team player and sharp shooter....

Tony Parker Bros is a true point guard. he is SUPPOSED to hog the ball, he either shoots, drives or passes, most of the time successfully, which is why the Spurs are a winning team. Duncan is not immobile, he had one of the biggest jams of the season over Oblocka last night, he does what needs to be done, as determined by a very smart head coach. the Spurs are a team concept in motion, the blueprint for (continued) success.