Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: JR Smith Price Tag dropping

  1. #31
    ★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax,Virgina
    Posts
    911
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    6 months ago I would rather have Swish.. To be honest Swish is more proven then Lin the guy had a great.... GREAT run for two months. Swish is a 7 or 8 year vet who is a proven off the bench asset.

    Have you ever seen Lin play 82 games? I love what Lin did for our team , we would have been looking on the outside of the playoffs for sure without him.

    Also JR accepting his option has ZERO effect on us bringing Lin back.

  2. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Everyone keeps putting JR at a higher level then he is.......
    Based on every pro-JR argument made on this board it would make ZERO sense for Jr not to opt out as he can for sure can a better deal elsewhere....

    If he does not opt out I am sure you will make the case he wants to stay with the Knicks and is willing to pass up on money.......

    My point about LIN is that there are viable players out there that we need to find that sometimes just get passed up.....

    You have to be a moron to think one's character does not tie into how someone is on the court in the locker-room or as a team player....

    I guess you are the same one's who would argue Melo not playing hard under Dantonio all the while Tyson was playing with an almost broken hand was cool as well....

    If you do not understand the " Winning Concept " then its tough to ever convince you. In the world there are winners ....guys that do whatever it takes and accept whatever role deemed in order to WIN........If you think JR is that guy and he opts to stay for the 2.5 million then I hope you are right...

    BUT based on his high level of play you claim why in the world would he accept 2.5 million a year if he is worth 5 million or more for a 3-4 year deal....

  3. #33
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I do not buy into the argument that because Tyson Chandler is a hustle style player that it somehow reflects negatively on Melo. I am not sure how much energy a player like Tyson Chandler would have left to expend on the defensive end of the floor if he were spending the rest of the game trying to carry the offensive load for this team. The reason why guys like Tyson, Shumpert & Jeffries can expend so much energy on the defensive end of the floor is because they are not being asked to expend much of their energy on the offensive end. These are what role players are for. Yes, you will see great players in this league who can star on both ends of the floor, but Melo has never been known to be a defensive minded player. It still puzzles me why Knick fans take such offense to the fact that he isn't giving forth a full effort on defense on most nights when he's the one who's usually having to carry the offense. Somebody needs to score, this is a team sport & you can't win games unless you score points. This why this team has guys like Tyson & the rest of the role players, just like the OKC Thunder have guys like Ibaka, Perkins & Sefolosha, they allow guys like Durant & Westbrook be great on the offensive end.

  4. #34
    Scoring Champ CA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,869
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    I do not buy into the argument that because Tyson Chandler is a hustle style player that it somehow reflects negatively on Melo. I am not sure how much energy a player like Tyson Chandler would have left to expend on the defensive end of the floor if he were spending the rest of the game trying to carry the offensive load for this team. The reason why guys like Tyson, Shumpert & Jeffries can expend so much energy on the defensive end of the floor is because they are not being asked to expend much of their energy on the offensive end. These are what role players are for. Yes, you will see great players in this league who can star on both ends of the floor, but Melo has never been known to be a defensive minded player. It still puzzles me why Knick fans take such offense to the fact that he isn't giving forth a full effort on defense on most nights when he's the one who's usually having to carry the offense. Somebody needs to score, this is a team sport & you can't win games unless you score points. This why this team has guys like Tyson & the rest of the role players, just like the OKC Thunder have guys like Ibaka, Perkins & Sefolosha, they allow guys like Durant & Westbrook be great on the offensive end.
    plese stop trying to make sense, thats unacceptable around here

  5. #35
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by skisloper
    Everyone keeps putting JR at a higher level then he is.......
    Based on every pro-JR argument made on this board it would make ZERO sense for Jr not to opt out as he can for sure can a better deal elsewhere....

    If he does not opt out I am sure you will make the case he wants to stay with the Knicks and is willing to pass up on money.......

    My point about LIN is that there are viable players out there that we need to find that sometimes just get passed up.....

    You have to be a moron to think one's character does not tie into how someone is on the court in the locker-room or as a team player....

    I guess you are the same one's who would argue Melo not playing hard under Dantonio all the while Tyson was playing with an almost broken hand was cool as well....

    If you do not understand the " Winning Concept " then its tough to ever convince you. In the world there are winners ....guys that do whatever it takes and accept whatever role deemed in order to WIN........If you think JR is that guy and he opts to stay for the 2.5 million then I hope you are right...

    BUT based on his high level of play you claim why in the world would he accept 2.5 million a year if he is worth 5 million or more for a 3-4 year deal....
    All this writing and you still have not answered ONE question asked. SMH

  6. #36
    ★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax,Virgina
    Posts
    911
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Nice post fellas. Bottom line JR for 2.5 is stealing money. If he comes back great if he does not on to the next one.

  7. #37
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The point that u keep missing is there are NBA players out there that just do not get a shot...Look at LIN, Look at Blair , Look at George Hill....

    we fill the roster with guys like JR and we will get the same result over and over again......

    A winner would be classified as a class act guy...not someone busy tweeting naked women, getting arrested for no liscense, tweeting after the worst playoff performance of his career good bye NY,,,,,,,,,,,WHAT DO U NOT GET.....
    That is not a guy with character or am I missing something ?

    So you'd rather have a bunch of inferior "classy" players than a JR Smith who can go off for 15 points off the bench on any given night? I'll agree with you that JR does chuck alot but honestly off the knicks bench this season he was the most talented player on that 2nd unit (Steve Novak's 3 ball comes close i guess)

    I'll also agree with you that he does have some off-court behavioral problems but do you really care what he does in his spare time as long as he performs well on the court? If he was making all his shots in-game we wouldn't care if he sniffed coke or choked hookers in his off time. But just because he had a sub-par playoff performance we're looking for any reason to get rid of him.

    Yeah he is a little rough around the edges but maybe that is what this team really needs. We should bring it back like the late 90's knicks --gritty, scrappy and fighting during every play. If he can bring toughness back to this knicks squad, he'll be a winner in my book.

  8. #38
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by friedtilapia
    So you'd rather have a bunch of inferior "classy" players than a JR Smith who can go off for 15 points off the bench on any given night? I'll agree with you that JR does chuck alot but honestly off the knicks bench this season he was the most talented player on that 2nd unit (Steve Novak's 3 ball comes close i guess)

    I'll also agree with you that he does have some off-court behavioral problems but do you really care what he does in his spare time as long as he performs well on the court? If he was making all his shots in-game we wouldn't care if he sniffed coke or choked hookers in his off time. But just because he had a sub-par playoff performance we're looking for any reason to get rid of him.

    Yeah he is a little rough around the edges but maybe that is what this team really needs. We should bring it back like the late 90's knicks --gritty, scrappy and fighting during every play. If he can bring toughness back to this knicks squad, he'll be a winner in my book.

    I will say it again......YES JR get light it up and get very hot in a game.
    What I do not like is his inability to realize that when you are shooting 2 for 12 that maybe its best at that time to pass of the ball and stop firing away.
    Of course Woodson should have realized that as well..........

    Its not a matter of classy inferior players........I would rather have players that will do whatever is neccessary to win a game and could care less about their own stat sheet at the end of a game....

    I would like to have a guy on defense who does not foul behind the 3 point arc or when there is a few seconds left on the shot clock....

    We already have Melo for better or worse ( not here to debate that ) I just think a guy like JR and Melo is not a winning combination...

    For JR to able to hoist up 16 shots in game 6 in 36 minutes YET have ZERO rebounds, steals, blacks or assists is a mind blowing statistic....

    What does not make sense to me.....If So many of you are so confident we can keep him at the 2.5 million and nobody is offering him more money would that not be a telling sign that other teams see what I see ?


    Please exchange the word " Classy " for " Winners ...Guys willing to whatever it takes to win a game " JR is not that guy to me.

  9. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,795
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    I do not buy into the argument that because Tyson Chandler is a hustle style player that it somehow reflects negatively on Melo. I am not sure how much energy a player like Tyson Chandler would have left to expend on the defensive end of the floor if he were spending the rest of the game trying to carry the offensive load for this team. The reason why guys like Tyson, Shumpert & Jeffries can expend so much energy on the defensive end of the floor is because they are not being asked to expend much of their energy on the offensive end. These are what role players are for. Yes, you will see great players in this league who can star on both ends of the floor, but Melo has never been known to be a defensive minded player. It still puzzles me why Knick fans take such offense to the fact that he isn't giving forth a full effort on defense on most nights when he's the one who's usually having to carry the offense. Somebody needs to score, this is a team sport & you can't win games unless you score points. This why this team has guys like Tyson & the rest of the role players, just like the OKC Thunder have guys like Ibaka, Perkins & Sefolosha, they allow guys like Durant & Westbrook be great on the offensive end.
    Exactly. Melo is a competent enough defender to the point where we don't need to be focusing on his defensive shortcomings.

    Hell, we don't need to be focusing on ANYBODY's defensive shortcomings.

    The Knicks were the 5th best defensive team in the league last year. Tyson Chandler completely revamped our team's defense, and Coach Woodson's coaching finally turned Stat and Melo into OK defenders for none other than the main reason that they no longer had to run up and down the floor as much because of Mike D'Antoni's run and gun offense.

    For all the talk of how good the Thunder's defense is...our defense during the season was BETTER than theirs. Anybody who watched the playoffs last year knows that our problem wasn't defense - it was the sheer inability to score because we lacked a competent distributor. There was absolutely NO ball movement on the court whatsoever when we played the Heat and when there's no ball movement, it's very easy to defend especially when the other team has an advantage in athleticism.

    With regards to J.R. Smith, he's not opting out. His shooting stats this season were the worst they'd been since 2006. He's going to stay around and try to go off this season for a bigger payday next offseason. J.R. also took some time to really get in a shooting groove - I predict that with a full training camp and some real time off, he'll have a great year next year. I want to keep him around because we need shooters on this team.

  10. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Exactly. Melo is a competent enough defender to the point where we don't need to be focusing on his defensive shortcomings.

    Hell, we don't need to be focusing on ANYBODY's defensive shortcomings.

    The Knicks were the 5th best defensive team in the league last year. Tyson Chandler completely revamped our team's defense, and Coach Woodson's coaching finally turned Stat and Melo into OK defenders for none other than the main reason that they no longer had to run up and down the floor as much because of Mike D'Antoni's run and gun offense.

    For all the talk of how good the Thunder's defense is...our defense during the season was BETTER than theirs. Anybody who watched the playoffs last year knows that our problem wasn't defense - it was the sheer inability to score because we lacked a competent distributor. There was absolutely NO ball movement on the court whatsoever when we played the Heat and when there's no ball movement, it's very easy to defend especially when the other team has an advantage in athleticism.

    With regards to J.R. Smith, he's not opting out. His shooting stats this season were the worst they'd been since 2006. He's going to stay around and try to go off this season for a bigger payday next offseason. J.R. also took some time to really get in a shooting groove - I predict that with a full training camp and some real time off, he'll have a great year next year. I want to keep him around because we need shooters on this team.

    If he does not opt out I do hope a full training camp help....I am not concerned with his shooting but his Bball IQ. The guy will dribble for 17 seconds trying to find a shot rather then move the ball...
    After watching last night JR would get zero minutes on either NBA Finals team.
    If nobody will offer him more then 2.5 million then its a safe bet we are not stealing him for 2.5 million

  11. #41
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Anybody who watched the playoffs last year knows that our problem wasn't defense - it was the sheer inability to score because we lacked a competent distributor. There was absolutely NO ball movement on the court whatsoever when we played the Heat and when there's no ball movement, it's very easy to defend especially when the other team has an advantage in athleticism.
    So true. That series really exposed the importance of having Lin healthy in the rotation. When you have a PG that can penetrate off the dribble & get into the lane, other guys on defense need to rotate to cover, which leaves guys like Novak & JR wide open on the wings to knock down those J's. That didn't happen during the playoff series we played the Heat, Baron Davis wasn't scaring anyone & neither was Mike Bibby. Novak was pretty much invisible during that series the Heat kept him covered at all times, & JR really struggled to get off his shot because he had to resort to all isolation off the dribble stuff that the Heat were able to check with D Wade. This team will be much better next season once Lin gets back healthy & they have a full training camp together to get more familiar with Woodson's system & build some more chemistry. We all saw several stretches of great play during the season that this team can clearly build upon.

  12. #42
    ★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax,Virgina
    Posts
    911
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Anyone want to bet he signs for 3.5-5 mil with another team if he opts out?

    Does not have to be fore any something funny or something would do for me. Why the hate on Swish fellas, with a full 82 games we can do damage with our current team. Mike Woodson had these guys playing great until all the BS in the playoffs happened.

  13. #43
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4Life_1985
    Anyone want to bet he signs for 3.5-5 mil with another team if he opts out?

    Does not have to be fore any something funny or something would do for me. Why the hate on Swish fellas, with a full 82 games we can do damage with our current team. Mike Woodson had these guys playing great until all the BS in the playoffs happened.

    You do agree if he does not opt out its because his agent feels he will not be offered more then the 2.5 the Knicks would have to pay him.....
    JR although not the brightess Bball player has to be smart to take the money.

  14. #44
    Superstar orangeblobman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4Life_1985
    Anyone want to bet he signs for 3.5-5 mil with another team if he opts out?

    Does not have to be fore any something funny or something would do for me. Why the hate on Swish fellas, with a full 82 games we can do damage with our current team. Mike Woodson had these guys playing great until all the BS in the playoffs happened.
    He will get 3.0 million maximum, because he is so wack.

    Guy is an overrated chucker and a risk when off the hardwoods.

  15. #45
    ★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax,Virgina
    Posts
    911
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Report: J.R. Smith sues ex-team ( Zhejiang Chouzhou )

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    I guess I am the #1 Fanboy I wont make a new post I'll just add to this

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: May 22, 2012, 13:43
  2. J.R. Smith Supporter Perspective
    By Bharan in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Apr 09, 2012, 23:31
  3. J.R. Smith is no more
    By GoKnIcKsDLEE42 in forum NBA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov 12, 2009, 21:33
  4. josh smith to the knicks????
    By brooklyn_baller318 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Jul 01, 2009, 03:18
  5. ESPN Trade Machine
    By GoKnIcKsDLEE42 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: Feb 08, 2008, 19:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •