JR Smith Price Tag dropping

STAT1

Starter
Anybody who watched the playoffs last year knows that our problem wasn't defense - it was the sheer inability to score because we lacked a competent distributor. There was absolutely NO ball movement on the court whatsoever when we played the Heat and when there's no ball movement, it's very easy to defend especially when the other team has an advantage in athleticism.

So true. That series really exposed the importance of having Lin healthy in the rotation. When you have a PG that can penetrate off the dribble & get into the lane, other guys on defense need to rotate to cover, which leaves guys like Novak & JR wide open on the wings to knock down those J's. That didn't happen during the playoff series we played the Heat, Baron Davis wasn't scaring anyone & neither was Mike Bibby. Novak was pretty much invisible during that series the Heat kept him covered at all times, & JR really struggled to get off his shot because he had to resort to all isolation off the dribble stuff that the Heat were able to check with D Wade. This team will be much better next season once Lin gets back healthy & they have a full training camp together to get more familiar with Woodson's system & build some more chemistry. We all saw several stretches of great play during the season that this team can clearly build upon.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Anyone want to bet he signs for 3.5-5 mil with another team if he opts out?

Does not have to be fore any :2cents::2cents: something funny or something would do for me. Why the hate on Swish fellas, with a full 82 games we can do damage with our current team. Mike Woodson had these guys playing great until all the BS in the playoffs happened.

skisloper

Starter

Does not have to be fore any :2cents::2cents: something funny or something would do for me. Why the hate on Swish fellas, with a full 82 games we can do damage with our current team. Mike Woodson had these guys playing great until all the BS in the playoffs happened.

You do agree if he does not opt out its because his agent feels he will not be offered more then the 2.5 the Knicks would have to pay him.....
JR although not the brightess Bball player has to be smart to take the money.

orangeblobman

Rotation player

He will get 3.0 million maximum, because he is so wack.

Guy is an overrated chucker and a risk when off the hardwoods.

finestrg

Rotation player
I still say if he bolts on us and we're looking to fill that role with the same type of player (6'6"-ish offensive-minded SG/SF 6th man to help lead the bench attack), both Chris Douglas-Roberts and former Tennessee Vol Scotty Hopson are out there -- both have very similar games to JR Smith. Instant offense...They'd each come cheaper than Smith too, Hopson even cheaper than CDR. If Smith is OK with the $2.5M I'll take him back with open arms. If not, sayonara -- I'd then look to secure one of these 2.

Last edited:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I think it's a bad sign that he's going for that China money. It tells me he's in a tight spot. He had a rough season after coming back to NBA.

When he first signed with us, I was saying he's a 5m$ player. But now, the stock has dropped.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
what's f*cked up is that he wants their $$$ despite never showing up to practice and taking vacations during team meetings. I understand u were playing in a diff country but they had the decency to sign ur sorry ass during the lockout and ur being an a-hole about it. I just hope he doesn't pull this sh*t with us if he re signs.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Smith Declines Option Year, Could Re-Sign with Knicks
By HOWARD BECK

Barton Silverman/The New York Times
J.R. Smith may yet remain a Knick.
J.R. Smith will decline his Knicks contract option on Tuesday, but he still hopes to return to the team on a long-term deal, according to a person familiar with the contract negotiations.

Smith’s option for next season is worth $2.4 million. By declining it, he would be eligible for a new starting salary of $2.8 million, or about $12.2 million over four years.

Declining the option would make Smith an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Rival teams could offer a much higher starting salary, either with cap room or by using the mid-level exception, which starts at $5 million.

Smith averaged 12.5 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.4 assists for the Knicks after joining them in February, following a stint in China. He averaged 12.2 points while shooting just .316 from the field in the Knicks’ first-round playoff loss to the Miami Heat.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes....ear-could-re-sign-with-knicks/?ref=basketball

Last edited: